Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New Grim Reaper Death Thread
Native Georgian Online
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
RE: New Grim Reaper Death Thread
(12-27-2020 03:45 PM)bullet Wrote:  Phil Neikro, the famous knuckleballer, passes at 81. https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/...053800001/

Was in the majors 24 years and pitched regularly until he was 48.

Not sure there has been anyone since he and his brother Joe who has mastered that pitch.
Basically, no Major League pitchers use the knuckleball anymore: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washing...utType=amp
12-27-2020 04:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
12-30-2020 02:58 PM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
(12-30-2020 02:58 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Dawn Wells, ‘Gilligan’s Island’s’ Mary Ann, Dies of COVID at 82

Well, lo and behold finally something we agree on.
RIP, Dawn, we are glad we knew ya.
12-30-2020 03:04 PM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I was always definitely a Mary Ann guy. Not even close.

The Mary Ann Vs. Ginger Debate: Why Does Dawn Wells Always Win?

[Image: 9bf97faf438e12028dd0d6a6d3a64411.jpg]

RIP, honey; I'll see ya, but it'll be awhile!
12-30-2020 05:13 PM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(12-30-2020 05:13 PM)GoodOwl Wrote:  I was always definitely a Mary Ann guy. Not even close.

The Mary Ann Vs. Ginger Debate: Why Does Dawn Wells Always Win?

[Image: 9bf97faf438e12028dd0d6a6d3a64411.jpg]

RIP, honey; I'll see ya, but it'll be awhile!

+1 on Mary Ann over Ginger.

[Image: c6c7db4b85d699fbd049988b1df6616e.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 12-30-2020 05:29 PM by CliftonAve.)
12-30-2020 05:28 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
I had a preference for Ginger. I liked the tall ones.

Tina Louise is the sole survivor.

RIP Dawn.
12-30-2020 06:29 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

Mary Ann was one of the possibilities we considered for my daughter's name (from family members), but I couldn't think of Gilligan's Island every time I called my daughter's name!
12-30-2020 06:31 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(12-30-2020 06:31 PM)bullet Wrote:  Mary Ann was one of the possibilities we considered for my daughter's name (from family members), but I couldn't think of Gilligan's Island every time I called my daughter's name!

So did you name her Betty Jo, Billie Jo, or Bobby Jo, or was it Marsha, or Lori?
(This post was last modified: 12-30-2020 06:36 PM by JRsec.)
12-30-2020 06:35 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
Alto Reed, long time saxophone player for Bob Seger and the Silver Bullett Band, dead at 72. You could hear him played on Old Time Rock and Roll.

PhyllisMcGuire, the last surviving member of the McGuire Sisters singing group, dead at 89.

Shabba Doo, actor and breakdancer from What's Happing, Breaking and Breaking 2: Electric Boogaloo, dead at 65.
12-30-2020 11:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
It's a couple days old but Louisiana politician Luke Letlow (elected to the House in November) died of Covid a couple of days ago at the very young age of 41.

He becomes the latest in an unfortunate list of politicians who never were able to take their spot in Congress after being elected there for the first time. Among U.S. House reps, Letlow is the first since a rather well-known person died in 1982 of Cancer, also about 6 weeks after being elected to a House seat (this one was in Colorado).

Can anyone name that politician? I'll give you a super give-it-away hint....

"Houston, we've got a problem."
12-31-2020 08:33 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(12-31-2020 08:33 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  It's a couple days old but Louisiana politician Luke Letlow (elected to the House in November) died of Covid a couple of days ago at the very young age of 41.

He becomes the latest in an unfortunate list of politicians who never were able to take their spot in Congress after being elected there for the first time. Among U.S. House reps, Letlow is the first since a rather well-known person died in 1982 of Cancer, also about 6 weeks after being elected to a House seat (this one was in Colorado).

Jack Swigert
12-31-2020 09:49 AM
Eagleaidaholic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Southern Miss
(12-31-2020 08:33 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  It's a couple days old but Louisiana politician Luke Letlow (elected to the House in November) died of Covid a couple of days ago at the very young age of 41.

He died of a heart attack. Cardiovascular and heart disease deaths have increased this year more than respiratory disease. Blockage is being overlooked for the Covid Cash Derby. When it's gone it's gone.
12-31-2020 09:56 AM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

Aldo Andretti, auto racer and twin brother of Mario Andretti, dead at 80. It was almost a year next month that Aldo's son, John died from cancer.
12-31-2020 06:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

Indy car racer John Paul JR. dead at 60.
01-01-2021 12:42 AM
Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
(12-31-2020 09:49 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  

Jack Swigert

Yes, I probably made it too easy. But it is interesting (to me at least) that Swigert was the most recent House member to die before ever taking his or her seat prior to Letlow (and you have to go back to 1932 to find one before Swigert).

Swigert apparently ran for Congress knowing he had cancer but he had been told it was treatable and he'd be fine. But in August of 1982 the cancer had spread to his back so he probably knew he'd die shortly after he won his seat.

Many people think Jim Lovell (the Tom Hanks character in Apollo 13 if you only know them from the movie) was the astronaut who first said 'Okay, Houston, we've had a problem here' but it was Swigert (Kevin Bacon in the movie) who said it first, and Lovell later repeated it on the transmission back to NASA 'Ah, Houston, we've had a problem.'
01-01-2021 09:35 AM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

Luke Letlow died of a heart attack NOT covid.

Louisiana Rep.-elect Luke Letlow, who died while battling COVID-19, suffered a heart attack following a procedure, a hospital official said.

The 41-year-old was receiving treatment in the intensive care unit at Ochsner LSU Health in Shreveport when he died Tuesday, the Monroe News-Star reported.

LSU Health Shreveport Chancellor G.E. Ghali confirmed Letlow underwent an operation related to the virus and later went into cardiac arrest.

“It’s devastating to our entire team,” Ghali told the paper, adding that he “had no underlying conditions.”

Luke Letlow died of a heart attack NOT covid.
01-02-2021 12:00 AM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

no more "sugar" in the morning, evening or at suppertime...

Phyllis McGuire, Last Surviving Member of McGuire Sisters, Dies at 89
01-02-2021 01:20 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

(12-30-2020 06:35 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(12-30-2020 06:31 PM)bullet Wrote:  Mary Ann was one of the possibilities we considered for my daughter's name (from family members), but I couldn't think of Gilligan's Island every time I called my daughter's name!

So did you name her Betty Jo, Billie Jo, or Bobby Jo, or was it Marsha, or Lori?

Ran across Petticoat Junction the other day for probably the first time since I watched the originals in the 60s. Didn't know the "Jos" were multiple actresses, just that they were all hot. How can you forget the scene of them popping up from taking a bath in the water tower?! And that there were so many trips by the Grim Reaper to their set. The star "Kate Bradley" (Bea Benaderet) and 2 of the train conductors passed.

Another oddity was that "Sam Drucker" was a regular on Petticoat Junction and Green Acres and also appeared in some Beverly Hillbillies episodes.

We chose a name not related to any TV characters from the 60s (not even my favorite Yeoman Janice Rand), just a name we both happened to like.
01-02-2021 01:44 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(01-02-2021 01:44 AM)bullet Wrote:  

Ran across Petticoat Junction the other day for probably the first time since I watched the originals in the 60s. Didn't know the "Jos" were multiple actresses, just that they were all hot. How can you forget the scene of them popping up from taking a bath in the water tower?! And that there were so many trips by the Grim Reaper to their set. The star "Kate Bradley" (Bea Benaderet) and 2 of the train conductors passed.

Another oddity was that "Sam Drucker" was a regular on Petticoat Junction and Green Acres and also appeared in some Beverly Hillbillies episodes.

We chose a name not related to any TV characters from the 60s (not even my favorite Yeoman Janice Rand), just a name we both happened to like.

We jumped into streaming a few months back and have enjoyed it oh so much more than channel surfing infomercials. I go to sleep at night to the black and white "I Dream of Jeannie" episodes. Those first two years the scripts and the humor was so natural, predictable, but natural and I find myself having a good laugh every time. What's rather eerie is watching the Laugh In reruns from 1968 and realizing just how much like '68 2020 has been. It makes me feel ancient that I get Gore Vidal, President De Gaul, and Fulbright and Timothy Leary references. It's funny, but it is a complete trip down memory lane. The most pleasant surprise has been a group of movies that were independent films that we never saw at the box office or on TV that have been really well done. I loved the babes on Petticoat Junction but the script was mighty thin. The Beverly Hillbillies in their early episodes were funny. I'm not sure about my future though as my wife is fixated on old Perry Masons and NCIS. I don't know if she likes the whodoneit or is planning my murder!04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2021 01:55 AM by JRsec.)
01-02-2021 01:54 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

(01-02-2021 01:54 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(01-02-2021 01:44 AM)bullet Wrote:  

We jumped into streaming a few months back and have enjoyed it oh so much more than channel surfing infomercials. I go to sleep at night to the black and white "I Dream of Jeannie" episodes. Those first two years the scripts and the humor was so natural, predictable, but natural and I find myself having a good laugh every time. What's rather eerie is watching the Laugh In reruns from 1968 and realizing just how much like '68 2020 has been. It makes me feel ancient that I get Gore Vidal, President De Gaul, and Fulbright and Timothy Leary references. It's funny, but it is a complete trip down memory lane. The most pleasant surprise has been a group of movies that were independent films that we never saw at the box office or on TV that have been really well done. I loved the babes on Petticoat Junction but the script was mighty thin. The Beverly Hillbillies in their early episodes were funny. I'm not sure about my future though as my wife is fixated on old Perry Masons and NCIS. I don't know if she likes the whodoneit or is planning my murder!04-cheers
Have frequently watched Perry Mason on MeTV in the last year or so. Watching it, I realized my elementary school best friend was named Perry and his brother Paul. Have had no contact with him since the 60s. Both he and his brother were born during the run of the series. Looked up my friend on the internet and guess what? He's a lawyer!
01-02-2021 02:05 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.