Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Should UC & BYU schedule a December game to boost winner's resume if both undefeated?
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
RE: Should UC & BYU schedule a December game to boost winner's resume if both undefeated?
It.
Is.
A.
Rigged.
Game.

You all either forget or ignore that fact, which makes you suckers.

Cincinnati will not...will not be allowed to...make the CFP. We could play BYU and beat them by 50; it wouldn't make any difference. We could play Alabama, in Tuscaloosa, and come away with a win: it wouldn't make a difference.

This is the sports equivalent of "Jim Crow." You keep expecting and hoping for the nice P5 white folk to give you something you should already have...they won't. What's more, you think we should jump through extra hoops to EARN the dignity we already should have...it won't work. Ohio State can play a slate of teams with losing records and get praised for it: Cincinnati has already played 2 RANKED TEAMS and a couple of others who "received votes" and we get "There are no P5 teams on your schedule." Hello??? COVID? Hello??? They won't schedule us?

We will not get in. Accept that fact and maybe something can get done.
11-25-2020 07:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
RE: Should UC & BYU schedule a December game to boost winner's resume if both undefeated?
Well with the Temple game being cancelled this weekend, perhaps UC looks to add someone to that 12/5 open date...won’t be BYU, however. Louisville anyone?
11-25-2020 11:21 AM
sierrajip Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
RE: Should UC & BYU schedule a December game to boost winner's resume if both unde...
(11-24-2020 09:39 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  
(11-24-2020 08:06 PM)Foreverandever Wrote:  
(11-24-2020 07:56 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  Sounds like a plan...

But Notre Dame or Clemson has to have 2 losses

Alabama has to win out...Eliminating Florida

Any 1 loss champion in the Big is getting in.

That puts Cinci at 5...Behind Texas A&M...That game may be able to overcome Texas A&M

ND beating Clemson again will put them out.

Alabama beating Florida puts them out.

Auburn beating Alabama or Texas AnM or both.

This is all very likely. BYU at #14 gives Cincy nothing. It's all risk for Cincy and no reward.

Correct ND or Clemson needs to have 2 losses...If they both have 1 it essentially eliminates Cinci and I don't see ND beating Clemson again with Lawrence.

If Auburn doesn't beat A&M it doesn't help for them to beat Alabama...The issue is A&M not going to the championship game and staying at 1 loss.

So it does help if A&M is 4 and Cinci is 5...Because without BYU Cinci likely has 0 wins in the CFP rankings when it is said and done...Just like it would be tough to exclude ND or Clemson with their only losses being to top 4 teams it would be tough to exclude A&M with their only loss being to a top 4 team.

Bottom line is if they cant beat BYU they don't deserve a shot.

Yet UC has a game against Tulsa, and a game against the second best team in Tulsa, again. Why would UC go for this. I would think it would be easier for BYU pick up a game against UCF and maybe get it at home.
11-28-2020 08:38 PM
oipirate Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: ECU
Should Cinci try to play Ohio State? I understand that there isn’t much to gain and a lot to lose by playing BYU but playing Ohio State at #4 should alleviate those concerns of not making the New Years 6 bowl with a loss and a possible Playoff spot with a win.
12-03-2020 10:13 AM
B easy Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU
RE: Should UC & BYU schedule a December game to boost winner's resume if both unde...
(12-03-2020 10:13 AM)oipirate Wrote:  Should Cinci try to play Ohio State? I understand that there isn’t much to gain and a lot to lose by playing BYU but playing Ohio State at #4 should alleviate those concerns of not making the New Years 6 bowl with a loss and a possible Playoff spot with a win.

Ohio St really doesn't have anything to gain.
12-03-2020 10:20 AM
bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
(12-03-2020 10:13 AM)oipirate Wrote:  Should Cinci try to play Ohio State? I understand that there isn’t much to gain and a lot to lose by playing BYU but playing Ohio State at #4 should alleviate those concerns of not making the New Years 6 bowl with a loss and a possible Playoff spot with a win.

Big 10 isn't letting their teams schedule out of conference to my knowledge.
12-03-2020 10:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Didn't see it mentioned elsewhere but saw the announcement that Coastal Car. just picked up a game with BYU to replace their Covid cancelled game with Liberty. Nice pickup for both schools with an ESPN assist.
12-03-2020 01:12 PM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
Now that Coastal Carolina and BYU are playing, we actually have a threat of Coastal Carolina sneaking into that NY6 spot, especially if they win, reaming undefeated and Tulsa somehow beats Cincinnati.

Meh.

Regardless, I've got some salt as well as a Marshall fan. I was really hoping we could have scheduled the BYU game last week.

Anywhoooo... Marshall doesn't have a shot at the ny6, so all we can hope for is an undefeated season, finishing in the top 25, and blasting whatever 4-3 Mac team they put in front of us in some random bowl at 2:30pm on a Tuesday.

I sincerely hope Cincinnati breaks that invisible glass ceiling.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2020 01:15 PM by rileylives.)
12-03-2020 01:13 PM
ah59396 Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
If Coastal goes undefeated, which would mean beating a top 15 BYU late in the season, they will get in over a 1 loss AAC team. No question.
12-03-2020 01:47 PM
AlwaysSunny Offline
1st String

I Root For: NCAA
I dont think "no question" is as definite as you think.
12-03-2020 01:56 PM
slhNavy91 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Navy
(12-03-2020 01:47 PM)ah59396 Wrote:  If Coastal goes undefeated, which would mean beating a top 15 BYU late in the season, they will get in over a 1 loss AAC team. No question.

Of course there is a question.
Your scenario is not an absolute slam dunk.

Coastal beats visiting BYU, they will have a strong case over a 1-loss AAC team; you might even say "probably gets in over..." But it is far from "no question."

Hypotheticals:
- Coastal wins over BYU but it is close or somehow fluky (Z. Wilson out, some last minute weirdness, controversial ref's call). Chants move up to the area BYU is currently at - #13, six spots behind Cincinnati. If Cincinnati loses to Tulsa regular season but avenges that loss in CCG...IF they even drop below Coastal in the first place can leapfrog with revenge win. That's a good debate.
- Even Tulsa with only loss to ranked Oklahoma State (currently #15 in the committee's eyes to Coastal's #18, with upside potential), win over a Cincinnati team ranked higher than the BYU team Coastal beat - higher at gametime and at committee deliberation time. Coastal even stronger case in that one but definitely debated by the committee.
CURRENT FPI Strength of Record, Cincinnati #4, Coastal #13, Tulsa #19
Far from "no question."
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2020 02:03 PM by slhNavy91.)
12-03-2020 02:01 PM
Poseidon Online
Special Teams

I Root For: Tulane
(12-03-2020 02:01 PM)slhNavy91 Wrote:  
(12-03-2020 01:47 PM)ah59396 Wrote:  If Coastal goes undefeated, which would mean beating a top 15 BYU late in the season, they will get in over a 1 loss AAC team. No question.

Coastal beats visiting BYU, they will have a strong case over a 1-loss AAC team; you might even say "probably gets in over..." But it is far from "no question."

Hypotheticals:
- Coastal wins over BYU but it is close or somehow fluky (Z. Wilson out, some last minute weirdness, controversial ref's call). Chants move up to the area BYU is currently at - #13, six spots behind Cincinnati. If Cincinnati loses to Tulsa regular season but avenges that loss in CCG...IF they even drop below Coastal in the first place can leapfrog with revenge win. That's a good debate.
- Even Tulsa with only loss to ranked Oklahoma State (currently #15 in the committee's eyes to Coastal's #18, with upside potential), win over a Cincinnati team ranked higher than the BYU team Coastal beat - higher at gametime and at committee deliberation time. Coastal even stronger case in that one but definitely debated by the committee.
Far from "no question."

Since we are playing "what if"... CCU beats BYU then loses to ULL in the SBCG. UC beats Tulsa ans then loses to them in the AACG. Iowa STate wins the Big 12.

ULL would be 10-1 with a win over the Big 12 Champ. I think they would have a good argument as well.
12-03-2020 02:06 PM
NoQuarterBrigade Offline
Go Damn Pirates!!!!!

I Root For: ECU & the AAC
(12-03-2020 10:48 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  

They should do it anyway. Reach out to them and make the challenge, knowing the answer is going to be no. Be vocal about it. It will get talked about in the media and create a buzz.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2020 02:20 PM by NoQuarterBrigade.)
12-03-2020 02:18 PM
slhNavy91 Online
Heisman

(12-03-2020 02:06 PM)Poseidon Wrote:  

Hypotheticals:
Far from "no question."

Since we are playing "what if"... CCU beats BYU then loses to ULL in the SBCG. UC beats Tulsa ans then loses to them in the AACG. Iowa STate wins the Big 12.

ULL would be 10-1 with a win over the Big 12 Champ. I think they would have a good argument as well.

That's a good what-if.
I'm a Mountaineers fan tomorrow.
12-03-2020 02:22 PM
NoQuarterBrigade Offline
Go Damn Pirates!!!!!

Just do a G5 playoff since it’s 2020 and only because it’s 2020. Going to be locked out of the CFP anyway.

1. Cincinnati
2. BYU
3. Coastal
4. Marshall
12-03-2020 02:30 PM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
(12-03-2020 02:30 PM)NoQuarterBrigade Wrote:  Just do a G5 playoff since it’s 2020 and only because it’s 2020. Going to be locked out of the CFP anyway.

1. Cincinnati
2. BYU
3. Coastal
4. Marshall

I want our best teams to have a crack at the best of the SEC, Big Ten and so forth....

I want Cincinnati to absolutely thump whoever they play in the ny6 to prove a point they should have been in the playoff. I want Marshall to absolutely, utterly destroy whatever team they get in the bowl, even if it's a crap P5. Ultimately, I want our teams to all make a statement.

I despise UCF, but even I've rooted for them when they were good. I'm a fan of the underdog, regardless.

Doing what you propose sounds fun, but only perpetuates what the P5 wants ..
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2020 03:00 PM by rileylives.)
12-03-2020 02:58 PM
NoQuarterBrigade Offline
Go Damn Pirates!!!!!

(12-03-2020 02:58 PM)rileylives Wrote:  
(12-03-2020 02:30 PM)NoQuarterBrigade Wrote:  Just do a G5 playoff since it’s 2020 and only because it’s 2020. Going to be locked out of the CFP anyway.

1. Cincinnati
2. BYU
3. Coastal
4. Marshall

I want our best teams to have a crack at the best of the SEC, Big Ten and so forth....

I want Cincinnati to absolutely thump whoever they play in the ny6 to prove a point they should have been in the playoff. I want Marshall to absolutely, utterly destroy whatever team they get in the bowl, even if it's a crap P5. Ultimately, I want our teams to all make a statement.

I despise UCF, but even I've rooted for them when they were good. I'm a fan of the underdog, regardless.

Doing what you propose sounds fun, but only perpetuates what the P5 wants ..

That’s true.
12-03-2020 04:15 PM
bearcat29 Offline

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(12-03-2020 02:18 PM)NoQuarterBrigade Wrote:  

They should do it anyway. Reach out to them and make the challenge, knowing the answer is going to be no. Be vocal about it. It will get talked about in the media and create a buzz.
No, screams little brother. UC is fine where they are at.

Unfortunately, AAC didn't provide that top 25 team for UC to beat. I know, SMU and Tulsa... but if UC beats Tulsa 2x they will no longer be top 25.
12-03-2020 04:49 PM
NoQuarterBrigade Offline
Go Damn Pirates!!!!!

(12-03-2020 04:49 PM)bearcat29 Wrote:  
(12-03-2020 02:18 PM)NoQuarterBrigade Wrote:  

No, screams little brother. UC is fine where they are at.

Unfortunately, AAC didn't provide that top 25 team for UC to beat. I know, SMU and Tulsa... but if UC beats Tulsa 2x they will no longer be top 25.

UCF AD would probably do something like that. Create a stir, even if the answer is expected to be “no”. Get the media talking about it more. Publicity and eyes on the topic.
12-03-2020 05:36 PM
slhNavy91 Online
Heisman

Hypotheticals:
Far from "no question."

I almost forgot how much fun it is to do these resume comparisons...

2020 disclaimer - with the limited OOC matchups, the computer rankings are more disconnected and therefore less valuable than in most years. However, that is not to say they have zero value. Looking at some low-confidence data is better than looking at no data. And the CFP Committee will be looking at some data. I have always said that at least the committee brings SOME data into their beauty pageant, and I feel that is even more true for the comparisons of the non-contract-bowl-conference champions than for the top four...they may care less, but they also do less of the eye-test. Having said that, the lack of connected data might make the Massey Composite relatively more valuable this year, in taking out any oddities of any single system in this less-connected year.

IF Cincinnati and Coastal go undefeated through their CCGs, here are their wins in Massey Composite through games of 28 November (obviously, those they have yet to beat will drop...and for both of them those are at the top of the list, including twice)

Chanticleers: 7,23,23,31,82,83,101,105,106,114,124, FCS average - 72.63
Bearcats: 28,29,29,39,48,53,57,97,117, FCS average - 55.2

Coastal would have BYU the best feather in the cap and Louisiana currently ahead of Tulsa with those being doubled up. App-Memphis a wash, but after that the middle and bottom are CLEARLY in Cincinnati's favor, leading to the higher overall strength of schedule to Cincinnati.
That's why Cincinnati currently has the better ESPN FPI "Strength of Record" That BYU game could certainly improve Coastal in that regard, though.
Cincinnati also had more dominating wins - ESPN FPI's "Game Control" ranks Cincinnati #9 to date and Coastal #21. Why does that matter? Well, that's the ESPN advanced stats guys and gals trying to reverse engineer what the heck the committee may have been saying all those times they've used those words and claimed it matters to them.

Interesting discussion with games still to be played.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2020 09:25 AM by slhNavy91.)
12-03-2020 09:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.