One week till College Basketball is BACK! Projection and Rankings
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
MyBB One week till College Basketball is BACK! Projection and Rankings
My Preseason Projection:

1) Houston
2) Memphis
3) SMU (on the assumption anei gets a waiver)
4) Cincinnati
5) USF
6) Tulsa
7) UCF (on the assumption walker gets a waiver)
8) Wichita
9) ECU
10) Temple (late addition bump/assumption battle gets a waiver)
11) Tulane

League wide) I think 4 tourney teams should be the goal this year, maybe more depending on the caliber of team Wichita and ucf put out.

Something interesting I'm looking forward to from every team:

HOUSTON
- The guard depth and how itll be managed; Who steps up? who's rotated in and how? 4 guard lineup?

MEMPHIS
- The potential of this team is scary with their defense, literally just cutting the turnovers down to the level of an average team would drastically improve them, not to mention potential offensive growth from their returning players

SMU
- Make or break year for Jank. what happens when you have one of the best offensive teams in the league and then add an elite level shot blocker? (waiver ending)

CINCINNATI
- what will the quality of their transfers be like; is Dejulius the next Kendric Davis? can Rap (transfer) hold down the void left by Scott? also the growth of Vogt and Williams to potentially becoming 1st team all-conference caliber guys will also be interesting. then there's the potential x-factor in Harvey (former top 50 recruit who was pretty much bench his 1st year)

South Florida
- This team "on paper" is one of the best in the league. 3pt shooting should still be poor but every thing else they need to win is on that roster, but winning is more than roster, culture plays into winning. Can usf get over the hump? also the freshman they got is NASTY (Murphy), might be top 3 iso drivers in the league day 1

TULSA
- Overlooked again? something that I find really interesting about Tulsa is the vast amount of shooters on Tulsa that could be great or horrible both being realistic, they have 5 or 6 players with a reputation as being "great shooters", but none have yet to prove it in a d1 arena

UCF
- if Walker gets a waiver, UCF wont be a deep team, but should have a starting 5 that on paper matches up talent wise with the top of the league. Desperately need a walker waiver if they want to make a splash this year. (there is a chance walker has already received a waiver, but UCF is keeping it secret, they have history of DOING that). also Darin Green might be the most overlooked player in the league

WICHITA
- No need to go into detail here; new coach, new players. all of it is a mystery. How itll play out? will be fun to see it unravel

ECU
- Gardner to me isnt the most interesting thing because we already know what he can do, we can expect another 20pt 10rb season from him. what interests me the most is that the players ECU expected to be its best player (not named Gardner) entering last year had bad years but they also had injury issues. can they rebound with a healthy offseason?

TEMPLE
- Some thing that I find really interesting here is that someone from temple is guaranteed to be All-Freshman or a finalist for Most Improved. no matter how good or bad a team is, someone will score points. the worst team in the nation have multiple double digit scorers. as is, some unheralded freshman or some low scoring returnee is about to get a spike in stats at temple. also khalif battle (waiver pending) has elite athleticism, could be a star for them, despite poor freshman year...

TULANE
- Hunter yet again has noted that Tulane will not be last. he thinks the turn around at Tulane has exceeded ga state. hunter also roasted Rothstein on twitter for picking Tulane last. also a few of there transfers didn't take being picked last too well either. will be interesting to see the fight they have.

Updated Preseason Top 50 AAC Players (Technically 52)

1) Alexis Yetna - South Florida
Highlights: https://youtu.be/Zy4Y6eeIpug

2) Jayden Gardner - ECU
Highlights: https://youtu.be/JNF-jNzw3uY

3) Caleb Mills - HOUSTON
Highlights: https://youtu.be/d7vIjRYJnPk

4) Kendric Davis - SMU
Highlights: https://youtu.be/0-fMENXlyAQ

5) Moussa Cisse- MEMPHIS (Top Recruit)
Highlights: https://youtu.be/27vI0Wjm5wo

6) Brandon Rachal - TULSA
Highlights: https://www.instagram.com/p/B_NYCMTFSyG/

7) Keith Williams - CINCINNATI
Highlights: https://youtu.be/poQU4TF9IsM

8) D.J. Jeffries - MEMPHIS
Highlights: https://youtu.be/bJnNP7RnKZM

9) Quentin Grimes - HOUSTON
Highlights: https://youtu.be/wERHK9PbphU

10) Landers Nolley - MEMPHIS (Transfer)
Highlights: https://youtu.be/sZJkbMM8SIk

11) Tyson Jolly - SMU
12) Yor Anei - SMU (Transfer)
13) Dexter Dennis - WICHITA
14) Feron Hunt - SMU
15) Darin Green - UCF
16) DeJon Jarreau - HOUSTON
17) Chris Vogt - CINCINNATI
18) DeAndre Williams - MEMPHIS (Transfer- needs waiver)
19) Marcus Sasser - HOUSTON
20) Lester Quinones- MEMPHIS

21) Tristen Newton - ECU
22) David Collins - South Florida
23) Alterique Gilbert - WICHITA (Grad Transfer)
24) Tramon Mark - HOUSTON (Top Recruit)
25) Rapolas Ivanauskas - CINCINNATI (Grad Transfer)
26) Darius McNeill- SMU (Transfer)
27) CJ Walker- UCF (Transfer- needs waiver)
28) Brendan Barry - TEMPLE (Grad Transfer)
29) Caleb Murphy - South Florida (Top Recruit)
30) Darius Perry - UCF (Grad Transfer)

31) Jordan Walker- TULANE
32) David DeJulius- CINCINNATI (Transfer)
33) Tyson Etienne- WICHITA
34) Ethan Chargois- SMU
35) Gabe Watson- TULANE (Transfer)
36) Boogie' Ellis- MEMPHIS
37) Trey Wade- WICHITA
38) Elijah Joiner - TULSA
39) Justin Brown - South Florida
40) Damion Baugh- MEMPHIS

41) Jake Forrester - TEMPLE
42) Michael Durr- South Florida
43) Darien Jackson - TULSA
44) Tari Eason - CINCINNATI (top recruit)
45) De'Vondre Perry - TEMPLE
46) J.P. Moorman - TEMPLE
47) Alex Lomax - MEMPHIS
48) Cameron Tyson - HOUSTON (Transfer)
49) Kevin Cross - TULANE (transfer)
50) Khalif Battle- TEMPLE (transfer- needs waiver)

the next 2:
51) Jaylen Forbes - TULANE (transfer)
52) Keyshawn Embery- TULSA (transfer) -ranking solely from coach hype

Note: THIS IS A PRESEASON RANKING. NOT a projection of how itll look at the end of the season. Example: 48 Cam Tyson, unlikely to be ranked post season as he'll likely be buried in depth, but he's coming in with 14pts per at 45% from 3 with (elite shooting numbers, you have to rank at this time)

Just missed:
Brandon Mahan
Curtis Haywood
Malcolm Dandridge
Sean Mobley
Brison Gresham
Zach Harvey
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2020 02:07 PM by pesik.)
11-18-2020 02:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

pesik Offline
Legend

RE: One week till College Basketball is BACK! Projection and Rankings
Team divide in the top 52
1)Memphis- 8
2) SMU- 6
3) Houston- 6
4)USF- 5
5) Cincinnati- 5
6) temple- 5
7) Tulsa -4
8) Wichita- 4
9) Tulane- 4
10) UCF- 3
11) ECU- 2
11-18-2020 02:25 PM
8BitPirate Offline
A Man of Wealth and Taste

I Root For: ECU
Glad ECU is a basketball school now.
11-18-2020 03:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BraveKnight Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF
Good breakdown pesik, although imo UCF does have a chance to have a relatively deep team (in the backcourt at least), with the returning players and added pieces.

Key returning players:
Darin Green Jr
Brandon Mahan
Dre Fuller
Tony Johnson Jr
Avery Diggs

Newcomers:
CJ Walker (Former 5 star, transfer from Oregon)
Darius Perry (Started at PG for Louisville, former 4 star)
Sean Mobley (Started as a freshman at PF for VCU)
Isaiah Adams (Florida’s Mr Basketball, high 3/low 4 star)
Jamille Reynolds (High 3, low 4 star PF/C, had lots of high major offers)
11-18-2020 04:54 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

i see ucfs lineup as

g: Darius Perry (starter on an elite Louisville)- senior
g: Darin Green Jr (statically best shooter in the conference last year)
g: Brandon Mahan (above average shooter, starter at 2 schools)- senior
f: Sean Mobley (skilled big, starter at vcu)-4th year junior
f: CJ Walker (former 5 star recruit)

6th man: Dre Fuller

this is my point about depth with ucf, the 6 man line up above "on paper" should be able to contend with most of the conference just playing at the general expected levels put of them

- you hope Johnson and diggs make a big step up from last year
- you hope the 2 freshman have big years, but they arent "on paper" touted enough to expect theyd be day 1 impact players as true fresh (sub 300 composite).. not saying they wont be, but talking general expectations

if you arent a UCF fans you likely aren't expecting big things out of those 4, theyd have to exceed there preseason expectations to be seen as quality depth
(This post was last modified: 11-18-2020 05:47 PM by pesik.)
11-18-2020 05:45 PM
BraveKnight Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF
(11-18-2020 05:45 PM)pesik Wrote:  i see ucfs lineup as

g: Darius Perry (starter on an elite Louisville)- senior
g: Darin Green Jr (statically best shooter in the conference last year)
g: Brandon Mahan (above average shooter, starter at 2 schools)- senior
f: Sean Mobley (skilled big, starter at vcu)-4th year junior
f: CJ Walker (former 5 star recruit)

6th man: Dre Fuller

this is my point about depth with ucf, the 6 man line up above "on paper" should be able to contend with most of the conference just playing at the general expected levels put of them

- you hope Johnson and diggs make a big step up from last year
- you hope the 2 freshman have big years, but they arent "on paper" touted enough to expect theyd be day 1 impact players as true fresh (sub 300 composite).. not saying they wont be, but talking general expectations

if you arent a UCF fans you likely aren't expecting big things out of those 4, theyd have to exceed there preseason expectations to be seen as quality depth
I don’t think Diggs has a very high ceiling, I agree with you on that, but Johnson played well down the stretch and started a few games, also remember he had 21 points and was instrumental in our win @Cincy, I don’t think it’s a huge stretch to say he’ll be involved. The two freshman are question marks as you mentioned, but both should be role players at the very least.
(This post was last modified: 11-18-2020 05:59 PM by BraveKnight.)
11-18-2020 05:55 PM
Advertisement

oasispirate Offline
1st String

I Root For: East Carolina
Like our incoming class, but it's coming close to put up or shut time for the pirates. I would be very disappointed with a 9th place finish. But we have to do it before anyone is going to believe it. If we can just shoot a decent % from 3, we will be a threat every night.
11-19-2020 06:55 PM
jedclampett Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
(11-18-2020 02:16 PM)pesik Wrote:  My Preseason Projection:

1) Houston
2) Memphis
4) Cincinnati
5) USF
6) Tulsa
8) Wichita
9) ECU
11) Tulane

League wide) I think 4 tourney teams should be the goal this year, maybe more depending on the caliber of team Wichita and ucf put out.

HOUSTON
- The guard depth and how itll be managed; Who steps up? who's rotated in and how? 4 guard lineup?

MEMPHIS
- The potential of this team is scary with their defense, literally just cutting the turnovers down to the level of an average team would drastically improve them, not to mention potential offensive growth from their returning players

SMU
- Make or break year for Jank. what happens when you have one of the best offensive teams in the league and then add an elite level shot blocker? (waiver ending)

CINCINNATI
- what will the quality of there transfer be like; is Dejulius the next Kendric Davis? can Rap hold down the void left by Scott? also the growth of Vogt and Williams to potentially 1st team all-conference guys will also be interesting. then there's the potential x-factor in Harvey (former top 50 recruit who was pretty much bench his 1st year)

South Florida
- This team "on paper" is one of the best in the league. 3pt shooting should still be poor but every thing else they need to win is on that roster, but winning is more than roster, culture plays into winning. Can usf get over the hump? also the freshman they got is NASTY (Murphy), might be top 3 iso drivers in the league day 1

TULSA
- Overlooked again? something that I find really interesting about Tulsa is the vast amount of shooters on Tulsa that could be great or horrible both being realistic, they have 5 or 6 players with a reputation as being "great shooters", but none have yet to prove it in a d1 arena

UCF
- if Walker gets a waiver, UCF wont be a deep team, but should have a starting 5 that on paper matches up talent wise with the top of the league. Desperately need a walker waiver if they want to make a splash this year. (there is a chance walker has already received a waiver, but UCF is keeping it secret, they have history of DOING that). also Darin Green might be the most overlooked player in the league

WICHITA
- No need to go into detail here; new coach, new players. all of it is a mystery. How itll play out? will be fun to see it unravel

ECU
- Gardener to me isnt the most interesting thing because we already know what he can do, we can expect another 20pt 10rb season from him. what interests me the most is that the players ECU expected to be its best player (not named Gardner) entering last year had bad years but they also had injury issues. can they rebound with a healthy offseason?

TEMPLE
- Some thing that I find really interesting here is that someone from temple is guaranteed to be All-Freshman or a finalist for Most Improved. no matter how good or bad a team is, someone will score points. the worst team in the nation have multiple double digit scorers. as is, some unheralded freshman or some low scoring returnee is about to get a spike in stats at temple. also khalif battle (waiver pending) has elite athleticism, could be a star for them, despite poor freshman year...

TULANE
- Hunter yet again has noted that Tulane will not be last. he thinks the turn around at Tulane has exceeded ga state. hunter also roasted Rothstein on twitter for picking Tulane last. also a few of there transfers didn't take being picked last too well either. will be interesting to see the fight they have.

2) Jayden Gardner - ECU

3) Caleb Mills - HOUSTON

4) Kendric Davis - SMU

11) Tyson Jolly - SMU
14) Feron Hunt - SMU
15) Darin Green - UCF

21) Tristen Newton - ECU

34) Ethan Chargois- SMU
37) Trey Wade- WICHITA

47) Alex Lomax - MEMPHIS

the next 2:

Note: THIS IS A PRESEASON RANKING. NOT a projection of how itll look at the end of the season. Example: 48 Cam Tyson, unlikely to be ranked post season as he'll likely be buried in depth, but he's coming in with 14pts per at 45% from 3 with (elite shooting numbers, you have to rank at this time)

Just missed:
Brandon Mahan
Curtis Haywood
Malcolm Dandridge
Sean Mobley
Brison Gresham
Zach Harvey

I've got to disagree about Temple's JP Moorman, because his play became steadily less and less productive during his sophomore and junior years after a promising start in his first season.

Unless things have changed, the more minutes Moorman plays, the worse it will be for the Owls. Unfortunately, Coach McKie may not have enough experienced, 100% healthy players on the bench to keep Moorman, one of the team's only seniors from playing 25-30 mpg.

However, if transfer Sage Tolbert were to be granted eligibility, that would give McKie a lot more options , and would help to offset the fact that JPM lacks the athleticism and agility to be a good leaper, or a shot blocker, or a capable defender when he plays vs. speedier players. Fortunately, Tolbert is much more athletic and agile, and his videos suggest that he might be able to become a top 50 AAC player, whether he sees action in 2020-21 or the following season.

It will be interesting to see whether Khalif Battle, a 4 star recruit, will be a top 50 AAC player. He didn't play much in his first season at Butler, and didn't hit a high enough % of his shots there to put him firmly on the top 50 list (which is why he's probably listed as #50).

However, Battle will probably start the season as Temple's starting SG, and will thus get a great deal of playing time, which should help him to perfect his game. In addition, he'll be living and playing closer to home at Temple, and might respond well to the change of abode. Hopefully, he will perform like a 4-star recruit in his sophomore season.
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2020 08:11 PM by jedclampett.)
11-19-2020 08:10 PM
oasispirate Offline
1st String

I Root For: East Carolina
(11-19-2020 08:10 PM)jedclampett Wrote:  
(11-18-2020 02:16 PM)pesik Wrote:  My Preseason Projection:

1) Houston
2) Memphis
4) Cincinnati
5) USF
6) Tulsa
8) Wichita
9) ECU
11) Tulane

HOUSTON

MEMPHIS

SMU

CINCINNATI
- what will the quality of there transfer be like; is Dejulius the next Kendric Davis? can Rap hold down the void left by Scott? also the growth of Vogt and Williams to potentially 1st team all-conference guys will also be interesting. then there's the potential x-factor in Harvey (former top 50 recruit who was pretty much bench his 1st year)

South Florida

TULSA

UCF

WICHITA

ECU
- Gardener to me isnt the most interesting thing because we already know what he can do, we can expect another 20pt 10rb season from him. what interests me the most is that the players ECU expected to be its best player (not named Gardner) entering last year had bad years but they also had injury issues. can they rebound with a healthy offseason?

TEMPLE

TULANE

2) Jayden Gardner - ECU

3) Caleb Mills - HOUSTON

4) Kendric Davis - SMU

11) Tyson Jolly - SMU
14) Feron Hunt - SMU
15) Darin Green - UCF

21) Tristen Newton - ECU

34) Ethan Chargois- SMU
37) Trey Wade- WICHITA

47) Alex Lomax - MEMPHIS

the next 2:

Just missed:
Brandon Mahan
Curtis Haywood
Malcolm Dandridge
Sean Mobley
Brison Gresham
Zach Harvey

I've got to disagree about Temple's JP Moorman, because his play became steadily less and less productive during his sophomore and junior years after a promising start in his first season.

Unless things have changed, the more minutes Moorman plays, the worse it will be for the Owls. Unfortunately, Coach McKie may not have enough experienced, 100% healthy players on the bench to keep Moorman, one of the team's only seniors from playing 25-30 mpg.

However, if transfer Sage Tolbert were to be granted eligibility, that would give McKie a lot more options , and would help to offset the fact that JPM lacks the athleticism and agility to be a good leaper, or a shot blocker, or a capable defender when he plays vs. speedier players. Fortunately, Tolbert is much more athletic and agile, and his videos suggest that he might be able to become a top 50 AAC player, whether he sees action in 2020-21 or the following season.

It will be interesting to see whether Khalif Battle, a 4 star recruit, will be a top 50 AAC player. He didn't play much in his first season at Butler, and didn't hit a high enough % of his shots there to put him firmly on the top 50 list (which is why he's probably listed as #50).

However, Battle will probably start the season as Temple's starting SG, and will thus get a great deal of playing time, which should help him to perfect his game. In addition, he'll be living and playing closer to home at Temple, and might respond well to the change of abode. Hopefully, he will perform like a 4-star recruit in his sophomore season.

What are Temple fans hearing about Damian Dunn? Is he going to be able to help you? I was hoping we would sign him at one point.
11-19-2020 08:12 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

(11-19-2020 06:55 PM)oasispirate Wrote:  Like our incoming class, but it's coming close to put up or shut time for the pirates. I would be very disappointed with a 9th place finish. But we have to do it before anyone is going to believe it. If we can just shoot a decent % from 3, we will be a threat every night.

from me the breaking point for ecu is the defense. newton has to step up defensively (specifically him because he was targeted).. hopefully he has gained some muscle, and learned to play bit more physical.. he has the body to be a elite defender if he develops that part of his game, which was poor last year

expecting ecu to be a great shooting team might not be realistic with no top tier shooters on roster, but ecu has the measurements where it should be really good on D. you have a really tall team.. this team can win low scoring defensive games with Gardner

the player im looking forward to seeing is Tremont Robinson.. with the juco credentials he had coming in, he should have been in the Tyson jolly, Brandon Rachal, Corey Davis level-ish (other juco with similar stat as him, who are aac stars) but he was really poor last year, but i recognize he was dealing with injury.. for ecu to surprise he is going to need to play to that level
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2020 09:52 PM by pesik.)
11-19-2020 09:02 PM
jedclampett Offline
All American

(11-18-2020 02:25 PM)pesik Wrote:  Team divide in the top 52
1)Memphis- 8
2) SMU- 6
3) Houston- 6
4)USF- 5
5) Cincinnati- 5
6) temple- 5
7) Tulsa -4
8) Wichita- 4
9) Tulane- 4
10) UCF- 3
11) ECU- 2

Unfortunately for Temple, the pre-season assessments are that the Owls will probably finish in 10th place. Barry* won't become eligible until just before conference play begins. If both of Temple's transfers (Battle & Tolbert) get waivers, and if Barry plays well, the Owls might be able to finish a couple of notches above expectations. Anything beyond that would be gravy.

However, as productive as Forrester is on offense, he only played 17 mpg last season, and it remains to be seen if he gets a lot more playing time this time around. Battle had very little playing time as a freshman at Butler, and will need to develop his D1 skills by playing more minutes. Perry has strong advanced stats (PER; BPM, etc.) and is a good defender, but isn't a great rebounder and has rarely scored in double figures. Moorman, last season, was one of the least productive starting PFs that Temple has had in the past 40 years.

In short, unless the picture improves this season, and depending on how the new players perform, it doesn't appear very likely that Temple will have 5 of the top 50 players in the AAC. They may have 2 or 3; possibly 4.

Moreover, Temple's top 5 players may turn out to include some players who aren't on this list, such as Tolbert (if he unexpectedly gets a waiver), or the more highly-touted incoming freshmen who have created some buzz amongst Temple fans, such as Ademokoya and Williams.

*The addition of Brendan Barry, toward the end of December (he still has to finish his degree at Dartmouth to be an eligible grad transfer) will help the team, but it's going to take some time (weeks) for him to acclimate to a new system and new teammates. In addition, he may have to shake off some rust, since he's coming off a medical redshirt season. Hopefully, Barry will begin to emerge as an impact player by mid-January.
11-19-2020 09:12 PM
Advertisement

pesik Offline
Legend

(11-19-2020 08:10 PM)jedclampett Wrote:  I've got to disagree about Temple's JP Moorman, because his play became steadily less and less productive during his sophomore and junior years after a promising start in his first season.

with or without tolbert, i think moorman is seeing 25mins+ a game... mckie calls him the captain of this team and the leader. that's not a player you intend to bench

also tolbert plays the 5, mooreman plays the 4.. i dont think they are really competing for minutes with each other.

and I really like battle, he is someone you cant rank too high because his freshman year wasnt good, but if he is eligible i think he will be temples leading scorer.. im not sure it might even be close (this isnt to hype khalif, no other touted scorers on roster- he's the only player with a background of taking a ton of shots per game--before someone notes barry, he is extremely efficient but actually doesn't shoot that much a game, rarely forces the issue).. it may or may not be efficient but battles points will be there with no one major to compete with him for shots

he has to tools to be great; he has elite athleticism, despite poor shooting numbers in butler, was known as a shooter in high school. and I saw one of these d1 open runs/pickup games with him over the summer and he looked very good
A highlight of one of those: https://www.instagram.com/p/CDt4VIaAaj2/
11-19-2020 09:29 PM
jedclampett Offline
All American

(11-19-2020 08:12 PM)oasispirate Wrote:  What are Temple fans hearing about Damian Dunn? Is he going to be able to help you? I was hoping we would sign him at one point.

Dunn impressed a lot of people with the way that he played in a series of pre-season scrimmages last season, and proved to be a much better playmaker than anyone had expected. IIRC, he was one of the more active players on the floor and displayed some prowess in half-court situations.

Unfortunately, he had to have surgery for a foot injury that he sustained a bit later in the preseason. He made a brief appearance in one game, but the foot was still giving him problems, so he missed the rest of the season. We haven't gotten any reports about how the guys have performed in the preseason scrimmages this season, due to the pandemic. Thus, it's unclear whether he has completely regained the full use of his foot, or whether it may slow him down. May may have a lot of "rust" to shake off, which could be a challenge if he doesn't get enough opportunities to play.

Dunn, who is probably best described as a combo guard, has the skills to play any of the backcourt positions. A key question is whether he can contribute enough (pts, rbs, asts, stls) while on the court to earn playing time, so he can "up" his game. Last season, there were reports that he was working with a shooting coach to improve his perimeter shooting.

Since he fell a year behind due to injury, he's going to be competing with three freshman back court recruits for playing time. He's not quite as tall as two recruits who are going to compete with each other and Dre Perry for minutes at the wing position, so he'll probably play most of his minutes as a backup PG or SG. To earn significant minutes as an SG, he's going to have to show development of his perimeter game, to become an inside/outside scoring threat.

The other freshman guard is Jeremiah Williams, a combo guard who's likely to play most of his minutes at the SG position, but can play as a PG when needed. Williams' videos show him to be a pretty capable, athletic, and agile inside/outside scorer with fine ball handling skills.

The team's main PG was supposed to be Tai Strickland, but he had shoulder surgery after a preseason injury, which is partly why Coach McKie recruited grad transfer Brendan Barry to join the team. No one knows if or when Strickland will return, and there is no other PG on the roster. Thus, Coach McKie may have no choice but to go with a committee of point guards (including Dunn and Williams), during the OOC schedule. How they perform during that crucial period (i.e., over the next 5 weeks) may tell us a lot about their prospects in the remainder of the season.
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2020 10:08 PM by jedclampett.)
11-19-2020 09:39 PM
vick mike Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple U
pesik and jed, great info and conversation.
11-19-2020 09:49 PM
Miggy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Eastern Michigan and Tem
Temple’s Dre Perry, freshman Quincy Ademokoya , Brandon Barry, and Damian Dunn are Temple’s four best scorers. Dunn deadly two point shooter but not suited to play PG. Strickland’s excellent three-point shooting will help when he recovers from his shoulder surgery. Moorman needs to return to playing like he did his freshmen and sophomore seasons. Forrester commits excessive turnovers and fouls. Transfer K. Battle has not to date been declared eligible to play this season.
11-19-2020 09:59 PM
jedclampett Offline
All American

(11-19-2020 09:59 PM)Miggy Wrote:  Temple’s Dre Perry, freshman Quincy Ademokoya , Brandon Barry, and Damian Dunn are Temple’s four best scorers. Dunn deadly two point shooter but not suited to play PG. Strickland’s excellent three-point shooting will help when he recovers from his shoulder surgery. Moorman needs to return to playing like he did his freshmen and sophomore seasons. Forrester commits excessive turnovers and fouls. Transfer K. Battle has not to date been declared eligible to play this season.

Three responses:

1) You haven't defined what you mean by best "scorers." Do you mean that they are the best shooters, in terms of FG%, or that they score the most points per minute of play, or that they score the most points per shot?

2) With respect to Dunn and Ademokoya, all we have are their high school stats, or in Dunn's case, his stats in preseason scrimmages (which don't tend to generalize to play during the season). Thus, it's nearly impossible to compare them with Temple's experienced players who have D1 stats, unless we're going to compare the high school stats of the team's college juniors and seniors those of the team's freshmen.

In other words, although some may have inside information about their scoring abilities, the rest of us have no basis of estimating what kind of D1 level scorers Ademokoya and Dunn are going to be. However, we'll start getting data on them fairly soon.

3) You mistakenly omitted Jake Forrester from the list of the team's best scorers.

Let's begin with the definition of best "scorers."

a) If a "good scorer" is defined as an efficient shooter, Jake Forrester (overall FG% and FG2%: .533) would have to be listed among the team's best scorers. In comparison, Perry's overall FG% was .482, and Barry's overall FG% was .466 last season. Comparing them in terms of FG2%, Forrester's FG2% was .533, Perry's FG2% was .569, and Barry's FG2% was .500.

NOTE: Transfer Sage Tolbert's overall FG% last season was .550. His FG2% was .570.

b) If a "good scorer" is defined in terms of points scored per minute of play, Jake Forrester (0.43 points per minute (ppm) in 2019-20) was the top scorer on the team, because he lead all of the team's returning D1 players on the team in points scored per minute of play last season. In comparison, Barry scored 0.37 ppm and Perry scored 0.35 ppm.

NOTE: Transfer Sage Tolbert scored 0.3525 ppm last season.

c) If a good "scorer" is definied in terms of points scored per field goal attempt (FGA), Perry and Barry lead the way with 1.36 points per FGA last season, but Forrester (1.29 point per FGA) is still likely to be one of the better scorers on the team according to this criterion, considering the fact that Nate Pierre-Louis, a preseason 2018-19 all-conference player only scored 1.21 points per FGA last season, while the star of the team last season - Quinton Rose - only scored 1.13 points per FGA last season.

NOTE: Temple transfer PF Sage Tolbert led Perry, Barry, and Forrester in points scored per FGA last season (1.57 points per FGA).
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2020 03:13 AM by jedclampett.)
11-20-2020 02:58 AM
Advertisement

DeeHee33 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UCF/Sycamores
(11-20-2020 02:58 AM)jedclampett Wrote:  
(11-19-2020 09:59 PM)Miggy Wrote:  Temple’s Dre Perry, freshman Quincy Ademokoya , Brandon Barry, and Damian Dunn are Temple’s four best scorers. Dunn deadly two point shooter but not suited to play PG. Strickland’s excellent three-point shooting will help when he recovers from his shoulder surgery. Moorman needs to return to playing like he did his freshmen and sophomore seasons. Forrester commits excessive turnovers and fouls. Transfer K. Battle has not to date been declared eligible to play this season.

Three responses:

1) You haven't defined what you mean by best "scorers." Do you mean that they are the best shooters, in terms of FG%, or that they score the most points per minute of play, or that they score the most points per shot?

2) With respect to Dunn and Ademokoya, all we have are their high school stats, or in Dunn's case, his stats in preseason scrimmages (which don't tend to generalize to play during the season). Thus, it's nearly impossible to compare them with Temple's experienced players who have D1 stats, unless we're going to compare the high school stats of the team's college juniors and seniors those of the team's freshmen.

In other words, although some may have inside information about their scoring abilities, the rest of us have no basis of estimating what kind of D1 level scorers Ademokoya and Dunn are going to be. However, we'll start getting data on them fairly soon.

3) You mistakenly omitted Jake Forrester from the list of the team's best scorers.

a) If a "good scorer" is defined as an efficient shooter, Jake Forrester (overall FG% and FG2%: .533) would have to be listed among the team's best scorers. In comparison, Perry's overall FG% was .482, and Barry's overall FG% was .466 last season. Comparing them in terms of FG2%, Forrester's FG2% was .533, Perry's FG2% was .569, and Barry's FG2% was .500.

NOTE: Transfer Sage Tolbert's overall FG% last season was .550. His FG2% was .570.

b) If a "good scorer" is defined in terms of points scored per minute of play, Jake Forrester (0.43 points per minute (ppm) in 2019-20) was the top scorer on the team, because he lead all of the team's returning D1 players on the team in points scored per minute of play last season. In comparison, Barry scored 0.37 ppm and Perry scored 0.35 ppm.

c) If a good "scorer" is definied in terms of points scored per field goal attempt (FGA), Perry and Barry lead the way with 1.36 points per FGA last season, but Forrester (1.29 point per FGA) is still likely to be one of the better scorers on the team according to this criterion, considering the fact that Nate Pierre-Louis, a preseason 2018-19 all-conference player only scored 1.21 points per FGA last season, while the star of the team last season - Quinton Rose - only scored 1.13 points per FGA last season.

NOTE: Temple transfer PF Sage Tolbert led Perry, Barry, and Forrester in points scored per FGA last season (1.57 points per FGA).

Houston
Cincinnati
SMU
Tulsa
Memphis
USF
ECU
Temple
Tulane
UCF
Wichita State
11-20-2020 05:20 AM
jedclampett Offline
All American

(11-20-2020 05:20 AM)DeeHee33 Wrote:  
(11-20-2020 02:58 AM)jedclampett Wrote:  

Three responses:

b) If a "good scorer" is defined in terms of points scored per minute of play, Jake Forrester (0.43 points per minute (ppm) in 2019-20) was the top scorer on the team, because he led all of the team's returning D1 players on the team in points scored per minute of play last season. In comparison, Barry scored 0.37 ppm and Perry scored 0.35 ppm.

Houston
Cincinnati
SMU
Tulsa
Memphis
USF
ECU
Temple
Tulane
UCF
Wichita State
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2020 06:20 AM by jedclampett.)
11-20-2020 06:19 AM
Memphis Yankee Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(11-18-2020 02:25 PM)pesik Wrote:  Team divide in the top 52
1)Memphis- 8
2) SMU- 6
3) Houston- 6
4)USF- 5
5) Cincinnati- 5
6) temple- 5
7) Tulsa -4
8) Wichita- 4
9) Tulane- 4
10) UCF- 3
11) ECU- 2

What do you mean by team divide? I'm stupid.

edit: I figured it out. I'm still stupid, but I figured it out.
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2020 11:50 AM by Memphis Yankee.)
11-20-2020 11:47 AM
invisiblehand Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulsa
Darien Jackson should be way higher on your list Pesik. Had some of the best advanced stats of any returning player in the conference.
11-20-2020 12:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.