Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

****W12-POSTPONED: Charlotte @ #15 Marshall, 12:30ET, Sat., Stadium****
Bookmark and Share
rileylives Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
RE: ****W12-POSTPONED: Charlotte @ #15 Marshall, 12:30ET, Sat., Stadium****
(11-17-2020 02:20 PM)Tintin Wrote:  
(11-17-2020 09:52 AM)rileylives Wrote:  Look, guys, this is the reality. There's not much incentive to play games when you make peanuts for a TV contract in a year with limited attendance. This is the reason why so many CUSA games are getting postponed and canceled.

If there's little financial incentive to play, heightened risk, and getting your doors blown off, certainly Charlotte is going to bow out.

And I completely understand the Charlotte posters on this board, and the fans of both fan bases have no say in this, unfortunately this is the reality. Charlotte didn't want to come to Huntington because they knew it was going to be bad for them.

Marshall has played with injured, covid down and contract traced players on the side, why is it that so many other schools are having such a difficult time?

The Charlotte fans on this board are never going to hear the end of this. Y'all can just stay home with ODU, you're not going bowling anyway this year. All facts.

Here’s the reality.

Charlotte has had the financial resources to weather this pandemic. Just basically a 4% paycut for folks making above a certain level in the AD. No mass long furloughs or sports being cut. No missed paychecks or people laid off.

Charlotte. in the last month, added a buy game with GW. If they are so broke, why would they pay GW 150000 to play them in front of 1000 people?

As for being bad for us on the field, that’s sports. We heard it from your fanbase last year. You were a double digit favorite in Charlotte last year and went home with an L. It’s why games are played; To settle such questions on the field.

Healy was going to play Ga State with most of his two deep out. He wants his guys to play because of what they have been through. He’s not so concerned about results as

I promise you that Will Healy would rather play and lose than tell his guys that they aren’t playing again.

I think both of our realities are accurate. Yes, Charlotte has a healthy budget, and I know unfortunately there were some short-term furloughs, but on the whole most athletic departments are not thriving right now.

But like I said, I think this postponement or cancellation, whatever it is, is just based off of a combination of many factors. Not just performance, not just lack of funds, or being afraid of the competition.

No one wants to make the cancellation, it is what it is. It just sucks for us fans, it really sucks for our program, we need the games.

This is the 8th postponed or canceled game for Marshall's original schedule.
(This post was last modified: 11-17-2020 02:38 PM by rileylives.)
11-17-2020 02:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rileylives Offline
Heisman

So my question is this. What does this do for future games, does this mean that the 2021 Charlotte game will be a home Marshall game?
11-17-2020 02:35 PM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

Think about this for a minute. The only games on Marshalls original 12 game schedule that went on as planned were as follows:

@ WKU
@ La Tech
FAU
MTSU

Every single other game on our original schedule got either postponed or canceled.

Not a single one was on Marshall.
(This post was last modified: 11-17-2020 02:42 PM by rileylives.)
11-17-2020 02:41 PM
CoachMaclid Offline
All American

(11-17-2020 02:35 PM)rileylives Wrote:  So my question is this. What does this do for future games, does this mean that the 2021 Charlotte game will be a home Marshall game?

Likely no. Rotating the ones that played and not the ones that weren't would mess up the balanced scheduling in the division. I'm pretty sure the 2021 conference schedule will be assigned as 2021 was originally planned to be.
11-17-2020 02:42 PM
Nugget49er Offline
1st String

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(11-17-2020 02:42 PM)CoachMaclid Wrote:  
(11-17-2020 02:35 PM)rileylives Wrote:  So my question is this. What does this do for future games, does this mean that the 2021 Charlotte game will be a home Marshall game?

Likely no. Rotating the ones that played and not the ones that weren't would mess up the balanced scheduling in the division. I'm pretty sure the 2021 conference schedule will be assigned as 2021 was originally planned to be.

That sounds right to me too.
11-17-2020 02:46 PM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

Well, focusing on the important things. Hopefully those Charlotte players or coaching staff can get healthy.

Just trying to hold on through Thanksgiving and Christmas, hopefully these affected individuals can go on with their lives after this.

That's what really matters, I know we want the games to happen, but these are real people. And most young, healthy individuals will get through this, but no one wants to bring this on our elderly relatives.

And my word, Charlotte would have taken a major butt whipping on Saturday.
11-17-2020 02:51 PM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

I don't think we will be able to pick up a game this Saturday, but there is still an opportunity to get a game in on the 28th.

I say if we don't hear any news by Thursday, we won't be playing next week...
11-17-2020 02:53 PM
herdfan129 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall & Liberty
I'll say it...Charlotte and some other schools in this conference are using COVID to avoid an ass kicking.

The lack of leadership in this conference is mind blowing and pathetic.
11-17-2020 02:56 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(11-17-2020 10:34 AM)FAU Connoisseur! Wrote:  Just out of curiosity what is the real men strategy for protecting these manly schools? Do they lock the players up in a dark room between games and practices?

It's interesting that most of these manly schools are in small towns. I would say I have seen about 20 different out of state license plates driving around. Doesn't look like the snowbirds are stopping from coming down to South Florida. I wonder why they don't just stay home to help protect us. No one cares.

Marshall players, staff and athletic department has taken every step they needed plus steps beyond what is called for to stay safe and play. Other schools have as well. But a portion of this conference just don't give a damn and thats evident.
11-17-2020 03:00 PM
herdfifteen Offline
2nd String

I Root For: uncw
(11-17-2020 02:42 PM)CoachMaclid Wrote:  

What a total sh*t house, if this is true there is NO incentive for them to play.
11-17-2020 03:00 PM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

(11-17-2020 02:56 PM)herdfan129 Wrote:  I'll say it...Charlotte and some other schools in this conference are using COVID to avoid an ass kicking.

I don't think it's just one thing, I think it's many factors.

Charlotte did have to cancel their FCS game last week too, they're not ducking Gardner Webb.

But yes, the beat down would have been harsh.

Got to give credit, Charlotte pulled out a good win last year at home, but this team would have absolutely taken it over and over on Saturday.

Charlotte's not terrible, but I just think we're playing on a whole other level right now.
11-17-2020 03:03 PM
mufanatehc Offline
Hmm...

I Root For: BSU, EHC, & MU
(11-17-2020 11:14 AM)HerdZoned Wrote:  
(11-17-2020 09:55 AM)rileylives Wrote:  The first thing Mike Hamrick needs to do this morning is get on the phone with BYU, do anything you possibly can to get that game scheduled for next week.

If we're not doing that, we're not trying either.

Hamrick needs to be on the phone with Little Miami's AD this morning since Ohio has already cancelled on them. If it be here, in Oxford or even played in Cincy. Its probably the best chance for a game that needs to be scheduled right away.

The MAC isn't permitting OOC games
11-17-2020 03:09 PM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

Another question, maybe some of the Charlotte posters can glean on this.

Is every other CUSA team taking the same stringent standards that Doc Holiday and the Marshall athletic program have laid out?

I know people have criticized and said that it's easier on Marshall, because Huntington is more rural, but this virus has spiked everywhere, not just metro areas.

Yeah we are able to separate, distance, and keep things under control. We have played games with covid or quarantined players out, and because we have multiple small groups practicing, many layers of testing, and reduced travel for players, we've been able to keep it under wraps.

So my question is, is every other CUSA team holding the same tough standards?
11-17-2020 03:13 PM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

(11-17-2020 03:09 PM)mufanatehc Wrote:  
(11-17-2020 11:14 AM)HerdZoned Wrote:  
(11-17-2020 09:55 AM)rileylives Wrote:  The first thing Mike Hamrick needs to do this morning is get on the phone with BYU, do anything you possibly can to get that game scheduled for next week.

If we're not doing that, we're not trying either.

Hamrick needs to be on the phone with Little Miami's AD this morning since Ohio has already cancelled on them. If it be here, in Oxford or even played in Cincy. Its probably the best chance for a game that needs to be scheduled right away.

The MAC isn't permitting OOC games

So no bowl games for MAC teams? Those would be out of conference games?
11-17-2020 03:15 PM
Johns1124 Offline
Special Teams

(11-17-2020 02:56 PM)herdfan129 Wrote:  I'll say it...Charlotte and some other schools in this conference are using COVID to avoid an ass kicking.

+1
11-17-2020 05:36 PM
banker Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-17-2020 12:27 PM)goliath74 Wrote:  I do not know the precise situation with Charlotte, but, out of curiosity, what would marshall do if they had 7 assistant coaches missing due to COVID. Would they still be travelling? I am pretty sure they would not.

I don’t know. We apparently aren’t stupid enough in our actions to get 7 coaches infected.
11-17-2020 05:49 PM
ghostofclt! Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte
clt is hearing interesting news out of marshal.

marshal is testing the football team, but the trainers assume that the tests are instant results. When no result shows, the trainers assume a negative test and toss the swab into a creek.

cusa needs to look into this.
11-17-2020 05:50 PM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
(11-17-2020 05:50 PM)ghostofclt! Wrote:  marshal is testing the football team, but the trainers assume that the tests are instant results. When no result shows, the trainers assume a negative test and toss the swab into a creek.

A pristine creek?
11-17-2020 07:15 PM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

I think the biggest loser out of this week would be the posters that have a sense of humor.

CLT can't unload his normal bag of goodies against Marshall.

Maybe there's hope....we can start a Go Fund Me for masks sent to lowly Charlotte.
11-17-2020 07:21 PM
Tintin Offline
1st String

I Root For: Charlotte

Yep and we ducked Middle to avoid that ass whooping too I suppose.

Marshall folks are at a Memphis level of nuts fan.
11-17-2020 07:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.