Any Early Signees?
bftb Online
Go Blazers!

I Root For: UAB
RE: Any Early Signees?
(01-22-2021 01:49 PM)busch Wrote:  
(01-22-2021 01:42 PM)blazr Wrote:  
(01-22-2021 01:31 PM)busch Wrote:  
(01-22-2021 01:22 PM)BlazinBham Wrote:  The key is, if you are going to cover the beat. You inquire about recruits, who are you high on, are they high on you, do you know of decision dates, are you certain you’ll get a pledge. Some questions, a beat writer would ask compliance or a coach about. Then if there’s high probablity the pledge is about to be made, you should have a story prewritten with comments from said recruit and possibly their coach or parents to follow. That’s how you get exposure out of someone who you allow to call themselves your beat writer and sit in during post game and ask questions.

Gone are those days. Come back Drew, Steve, or even Birdsong.

Instead, we have guys assigned to other parts of the state, doing write ups on us.

Why don't you become the beat writer? You sure as hell know more about the job than that clown who calls himself a beat writer now.

Guys, STFU. Really. He’s in an industry where everyone has to do 5x the work their peers used to and he has to wake up knowing he and/or every colleague he knows could be unceremoniously dumped with no warning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Please. He does not do 5X the work that a traditional beat writer does or did. All I ask of him is to do his job. He does not do that. He does not even do the minimum. Trust me, I know - first hand - about the dying/death of that business, so save the lectures. I just wish they treated UAB the same way they treat South Alabama.

Ditto to all of that busch. I know the landscape has changed, and he is technically "freelance," but if he wanted more he could beat the bushes and do more. He does the bare minimum. And obviously that fits right into what al.com wants about UAB--the bare minimum.
01-22-2021 02:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bftb Online
Go Blazers!

(01-22-2021 01:49 PM)BlazinBham Wrote:  Must be hard to copy and paste from UAB’s website from the couch of your home as you act as if you were actually covering a game live or in-person. Better yet, how many times has the most informative line been “ Listening to postgame, coach said......” and that’s following home games. Cant even bother to be at most home games, in-person. Pandemic or no Pandemic.

Only school in the whole damn country where we have to collectively cover our own program.

I won't defend him, because I don't think he's putting much effort into it either---BUT, that part about him not attending games is untrue, at least not for home games. He sits not too far from us in that newly added press row above the student section, and I don't think he has missed a single game.
01-22-2021 02:55 PM
BlazinBham Offline
Banned

Well, that’s refreshing. Now he’s there in-person, still doing the least.
01-22-2021 03:01 PM
blazr Away
Hall of Famer

Any Early Signees?
(01-22-2021 03:01 PM)BlazinBham Wrote:  Well, that’s refreshing. Now he’s there in-person, still doing the least.

Doesn’t he have around 3 beats to cover including high school? And with the disclaimer that I’m not a journalist, it’s gotta be hard now that the measure of your job performance is clicks not quality. I don’t know him, but I will say I never expect breaking news to come from him.

01-22-2021 08:34 PM
busch Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(01-22-2021 08:34 PM)blazr Wrote:  
(01-22-2021 03:01 PM)BlazinBham Wrote:  Well, that’s refreshing. Now he’s there in-person, still doing the least.

Doesn’t he have around 3 beats to cover including high school? And with the disclaimer that I’m not a journalist, it’s gotta be hard now that the measure of your job performance is clicks not quality. I don’t know him, but I will say I never expect breaking news to come from him.

Nope. He has one beat. He covers some high school games but it's not a beat.
Listen, the bottom line is this is an al.com problem. They don't care about giving UAB athletics quality coverage. If they did, they would push him to do better. Covering a beat is not simply about going to games. That's the easy part. Covering a beat is keeping up with what's going on between the games. I'm not talking about breaking news. I'm talking about simply with what's going on with a team or athletic program.
01-23-2021 02:12 AM
jaymay2525 Offline
All American

I Root For:
The issue is clicks....a Bama article gets massive clicks which means $ for AL.com. UAB doesn't generate the level of clicks needed to force AL.com to increase the bandwidth. Until we start supporting and clicking in a massive fashion, why would AL.com change. They don't care about supporting local...they are a business that cares about $ and keeping people employed. Out of some form of common decency should they support us more, yes....absolutely, but they are a business, not a community ran paper. Until UAB's articles start really bringing in clicks and $ nothing with AL.com will change. The almighty dollar speaks

Also, Dudley isn't Birdsong or some other crappy ones we have had in the past. Irvine cared, and it showed. Birdsong didnt, and it showed. Dudley is closer to Irvine than we have had in the past. We have to support him so we dont' get another Birdsong or even less coverage than we have now. It's all about the $
01-23-2021 02:13 PM
busch Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(01-23-2021 02:13 PM)jaymay2525 Wrote:  The issue is clicks....a Bama article gets massive clicks which means $ for AL.com. UAB doesn't generate the level of clicks needed to force AL.com to increase the bandwidth. Until we start supporting and clicking in a massive fashion, why would AL.com change. They don't care about supporting local...they are a business that cares about $ and keeping people employed. Out of some form of common decency should they support us more, yes....absolutely, but they are a business, not a community ran paper. Until UAB's articles start really bringing in clicks and $ nothing with AL.com will change. The almighty dollar speaks

Also, Dudley isn't Birdsong or some other crappy ones we have had in the past. Irvine cared, and it showed. Birdsong didnt, and it showed. Dudley is closer to Irvine than we have had in the past. We have to support him so we dont' get another Birdsong or even less coverage than we have now. It's all about the $

Dudley is not much different from Birdsong, when it comes to laziness, in my opinion. How many non-game stories has he written about a really good basketball team? Sure, his bosses have something to do with that but it's also a choice by him. South Alabama doesn't bring clicks, either, but they have much better coverage than UAB. That's largely because they have a professional journalist covering the USA beat and UAB does not.
01-24-2021 01:22 AM
BlazrDawg Offline
Heisman

please post links to highlight vids for these guys.
01-24-2021 11:36 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.