Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2 1/2 hours to Nooch's first NFL start. May there be many more. Cowboys-Eagles in-gam
Bookmark and Share
Purple Offline
Heisman

I Root For: JMU
RE: 2 1/2 hours to Nooch's first NFL start. May there be many more. Cowboys-Eagles in-gam
(11-02-2020 11:48 AM)Dukester Wrote:  
(11-02-2020 11:35 AM)Purplehazed Wrote:  How many people, ever, have done what nooch did last night? If he can squeeze 4 yrs as a backup qb in the nfl he did right by himself big time.

Save your money nooch

Nobody from JMU, but if some of our past QBs has had the opportunity I think they could of done as well, or better.

If that were the case, they would have been drafted.
(This post was last modified: 11-03-2020 06:36 AM by Purple.)
11-03-2020 06:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Purple Offline
Heisman

RE: 2 1/2 hours to Nooch's first NFL start. May there be many more. Cowboys-Eagles in-gam
(11-02-2020 08:24 PM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  
(11-02-2020 07:35 PM)JMUsince89 Wrote:  Most rookie QB's get playtime only when the team is up 30+ points, and then only late in the 4th. Ben hasn't got that luxury. Getting thrown to the wolf's this soon is rough. That guy deserves acolaides not crap. The OC play calling was terrible, I'm sure it was designed to take the heat of Ben. If he starts next game it may be different. The NFL is not CAA. Just my .02.

He did play the week before in garbage time of the Arizona game to somewhat get his feet wet. He just didn’t get a chance to throw a pass.

He was two for three passing, hitting Amari Cooper on a nice 32-yard strike for his first pass as a pro. His QB rating for the game was 109, much better than Dalton's.
11-03-2020 06:35 AM
Purple Offline
Heisman

(11-02-2020 08:58 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  It hit me today that coach Houston is a Cowboys fan. I wonder what he was yelling at the TV last night. Probably similar things when he benched the Nooch in the first quarter against New Hampshire.

The Nooch looked overwhelmed at times and after 5 1/2 quarters of football he has 4 fumbles while taking 7 sacks. I don’t see him playing anymore unless Dalton can’t clear concussion protocol or gets injured again this year. The team was trying to hide him last night which you can’t do for long at QB in the NFL. He gave it the good ol college try and just isn’t NFL caliber although it would have been fun to see him run more and move the chains vs struggling as a passer.

That's ridiculous! Just like 2018, when many posters here were screaming for Nooch to be benched because they said he was not a college-caliber quarterback. It amazed me then and amazes me now that some people still don't get it and can't see it.

Nooch was and is a fine quarterback! Houston and Kirkpatrick are the ones who were not very good and Nooch was taking the blame for it. Right before their eyes, some fans were unable to see that the playcalling and offensive line sucked, the same O-line that Cig took to Frisco the following season, and he allowed Nooch more RPO opportunities than Kirkpatrick did, who forced Nooch to be a pocket passing punching bag behind a line that couldn't keep the pocket intact for more than a second.

And, I'll be damned if it isn't deja vu all over again!

"The Nooch looked overwhelmed." I guess you saw a different game than his teammates, who are raving over his confidence, despite playing behind the worst offensive line in the NFL in his very first start.

"I don’t see him playing anymore." OK. Even with the terrible O-line and a swirling wind that both QBs had trouble with, Nooch was over 50% on the day, completing 21 of 40 passes, with several passes dropped, and did this with not much time to get off passes. With such a poor O-line, he was sacked four times, yet still managed to run five times for 22 yards, a respectable 4.4 yards per tote. Had his longest run not been called back, he would have done even better. It is THIS capability that makes Nooch the best choice to start the rest of the year. If I am Jerry Jones, I am smiling watching tape today. Three letters, Jerry.... RPO!

"The team was trying to hide him last night." Wow!

"He gave it the good ol college try and just isn’t NFL caliber." Then is All-Pro Wentz "NFL caliber?" Wentz had a better O-line than Nooch, but had to play in the same wind as Nooch did. This green, rookie quarterback who you claim does not belong had a higher QB rating than his All-Pro opponent. He belongs.

If there is one criticism that I believe is legit, it is the same one I have had for the past three seasons - Nooch often holds the ball a little longer than he should, trying to make something happen. I think this is fairly easy to fix and I'm certain that Mike McCarthy is working on that right now. In fact, Nooch made the right decision on a few plays against Philly, throwing the ball away when he got into trouble, which was often with that horrible O-line. I think he could have avoided two of those sacks by unloading the ball out of bounds. That was all I saw that really needed fixing. The rest is on the O-line and obviously, the wind is the wind. You aren't going to fix that.

I would like to see more designed runs for Nooch and more RPO. Nooch is only going to get better, more comfortable, and more confident.
11-03-2020 07:28 AM
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
(11-02-2020 10:34 PM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  
(11-02-2020 09:41 AM)Purple Wrote:  I thought there should have been more designed runs for Nooch and RPO. The wind was also a huge factor in the passing game for both QBs, plus the timing on passes was clearly off due to Nooch's limited practice time with the first team. You don't develop great timing and chemistry in a week.
When you’re on QB3 and the only backup just came off somebody else’s practice squad you don’t want him out running unless he absolutely has to or sees a huge opening, so you’re not going to call designed runs and risk injury.

His throws that were off were really off, I wouldn’t attribute that to wind or lack of practice time, more like mechanics which I why I maintain he overdid the sidearm flinging too much.

This is Exactly why I thought they would run him more, not less. A 3rd string QB is expendable. No need to protect him from injury when Dalton should be back and this was likely a 1 game bandaid. If 4th string Gilbert was thrown in the game due to injury they would be in the same situation as with the Nooch, inexperienced and shaky at the QB position. Dallas needed to steal a win and the Nooch’s off script running from the pocket is his best talent while being the hardest to defend even in the NFL. He dropped back To pass 44 times and ran only 5 times which we know is not the type of ratio where the Nooch thrives.

It was a wasted opportunity as Philly played awful and was begging to be beat. How many NFL teams have only 222 yards, 4 turnovers like the Eagles did and still win by 14? Less than 1%?

Is Dalton cleared yet? Is it possible Dallas keeps him out against Blitzburgh and lets someone else take a physical beating against the league’s leading sack defense? That would be story book stuff with the Nooch getting to play his hometown Steelers in a situation that would only seem probable in the year of COVID craziness.
11-03-2020 07:51 AM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jmu
Apparently DiNucci will become the latest I told ya so target for Hart at least until men’s basketball starts and he starts criticizing Coach Byington early and often. Some things are pretty predictable.
11-03-2020 08:08 AM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-03-2020 08:08 AM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  Apparently DiNucci will become the latest I told ya so target for Hart at least until men’s basketball starts and he starts criticizing Coach Byington early and often. Some things are pretty predictable.

Yup. Hart is the smartest guy in the room. If you don’t believe me, just ask him!
11-03-2020 09:15 AM
Dukester Offline

(11-03-2020 06:31 AM)Purple Wrote:  
(11-02-2020 11:35 AM)Purplehazed Wrote:  How many people, ever, have done what nooch did last night? If he can squeeze 4 yrs as a backup qb in the nfl he did right by himself big time.

Save your money nooch

Nobody from JMU, but if some of our past QBs has had the opportunity I think they could of done as well, or better.

Interesting concept. So everyone drafted will do better in the NFL than someone non drafted. 03-idea

I don't always agree with your thought process, but we all have our own logic.
11-03-2020 09:33 AM
JMU Offline
All American

(11-03-2020 09:15 AM)HyperDuke Wrote:  
(11-03-2020 08:08 AM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  Apparently DiNucci will become the latest I told ya so target for Hart at least until men’s basketball starts and he starts criticizing Coach Byington early and often. Some things are pretty predictable.

Yup. Hart is the smartest guy in the room. If you don’t believe me, just ask him!

+1
11-03-2020 09:38 AM
fishingduke12 Online
All American

(11-03-2020 09:33 AM)Dukester Wrote:  

Save your money nooch

Interesting concept. So everyone drafted will do better in the NFL than someone non drafted. 03-idea

The NFL landscape constantly changes which plays a huge part in who gets drafted and when. If we had Vad Lee as our QB last year theres a very good chance he would have been drafted high in the draft, same could almost be said for rodney landers too.
11-03-2020 09:39 AM
JMaddy Offline
All American

(11-03-2020 09:39 AM)fishingduke12 Wrote:  

Save your money nooch

The NFL landscape constantly changes which plays a huge part in who gets drafted and when. If we had Vad Lee as our QB last year theres a very good chance he would have been drafted high in the draft, same could almost be said for rodney landers too.

Mike Cawley would have been a first round pick.
11-03-2020 10:03 AM
Purple Offline
Heisman

Save your money nooch

Re-read what you said. You claimed that "if some of our past QBs has had the opportunity...."

They DID have the same opportunities to impress the scouts, coaches, GMs, owners. They didn't make it. Straight up, plain and simple! In fact, they had better opportunities to showcase those talents that you believe are so superior to Nooch's. COVID made it much more difficult for the Class of 2020 to showcase their talents.
11-03-2020 10:04 AM
Dukester Offline

(11-03-2020 10:04 AM)Purple Wrote:  

Save your money nooch

Re-read what you said. You claimed that "if some of our past QBs has had the opportunity...."

They DID have the same opportunities to impress the scouts, coaches, GMs, owners. They didn't make it. Straight up, plain and simple! In fact, they had better opportunities to showcase those talents that you believe are so superior to Nooch's. COVID made it much more difficult for the Class of 2020 to showcase their talents.

If some of our prior QBs had the opportunity to start in the game I think they could of done as well, or better. I stand by that whether one player was drafted or not.

I think things for a relative of yours could of been different if the stars aligned differently.
11-03-2020 10:10 AM
Purple Offline
Heisman

Save your money nooch

Yeah. If we had some ham, we could have ham and eggs, if we had some eggs.

You are presuming that pro scouts and coaches are stupid, that they can't evaluate a quarterback's skills on tape or in person, that they have to rely on who the QB played for, his teammates, and the system he played in. They don't ignore those factors, but they are called "professionals" for a reason. When they evaluate a quarterback, more than any other position, they are evaluating raw, individual talent and potential. All of JMU's past quarterbacks had the opportunity to shine for the scouts and coaches. They didn't cut it.

Now it sounds like some people here are saying, "Oh, yeah, DiNucci only got drafted because he is lucky. He actually sucks and snuck onto the Cowboys roster. Any JMU quarterback from the past would have wound up on an NFL roster if only given the same chance DiNucci was handed." What total crap!
(This post was last modified: 11-03-2020 10:21 AM by Purple.)
11-03-2020 10:19 AM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jmu
I look at all of this as nothing but positive. What does it say about JMU and our program that Ben DiNucci was drafted and ended up starting a game in his first season in the NFL. A bunch of stars needed to align in order for that to happen but it’s impressive and a reflection on our program. DiNucci was very good his final season at JMU but it’s not like he was the best Qb to ever come through our program I think that bodes well for future Dukes at Qb to go with the success we have had producing O Linemen Corners and Safeties etc. There is no denying that it will help with recruiting.

I think Vad Lee would have gotten a shot too but unfortunately once he was injured things changed dramatically for him and for that team.
11-03-2020 10:28 AM
Purple Offline
Heisman

(11-03-2020 10:10 AM)Dukester Wrote:  
(11-03-2020 10:04 AM)Purple Wrote:  
(11-02-2020 11:48 AM)Dukester Wrote:  Nobody from JMU, but if some of our past QBs has had the opportunity I think they could of done as well, or better.

If some of our prior QBs had the opportunity to start in the game I think they could of done as well, or better. I stand by that whether one player was drafted or not.

I think things for a relative of yours could of been different if the stars aligned differently.

I'm not sure which relative you are referring to, Urban Meyer's top 2004 recruit or my cousin who played for Pitt and ran a 4.2 40 (not once, he ran that time consistently).

You are right, and that's the point that I have been trying to make, apparently without a lot of success, for the past several months. Nooch is where he is because he is good. All he needed was for the stars to align over Dallas to give him the same opportunity Dak and Tony Romo got. As I said then, the stars have a habit of aligning that way in Dallas. Jerry Jones is many things, but stupid is not one of them. He, his son Stephen, and Mike McCarthy know horseflesh. Vad and Landers were not invisible. They had the same opportunity to make an NFL roster. They didn't! The stars can't align for you in Dallas or anywhere else if you can't make a roster. You have to be much more than lucky for that to happen.
(This post was last modified: 11-03-2020 10:37 AM by Purple.)
11-03-2020 10:31 AM
Dukester Offline

My Post on Ben -

(11-02-2020 09:05 AM)Dukester Wrote:  Ben played fine. He played as was expected. While he did have a couple drops, he had a handful that could of/should of been picked as mentioned by the broadcasters. I think he did as well as you could of expected. He gave them a chance to win.

I don't think anyone is thinking Ben will start next week if Andy cleared. I don't think he embarrassed himself.

If I had to rate Wentz versus Ben - I'd give Wentz the slight edge last night which could be scene as props to Ben, but really Wentz just played REAL bad. This year he's looked pretty bad.

Ben played decent last night considering. Could he be the backup next year if Andy is not around? Maybe.

I certainly did not say he sucked. Because he's drafted does not mean he's the best suited for the NFL QB we ever had. Tom Brady was the 7th QB chosen in the NFL draft. As a matter of fact, Giovanni Carmazzi, the QB from Hofstra was chosen 3 rounds before Tom.

Ben was drafted by Dallas - but get this I would rank him as the 6th best QB in JMU history, and 5th best NFL prospect. Just my opinion.

04-cheers
11-03-2020 10:51 AM
fishingduke12 Online
All American

(11-03-2020 10:19 AM)Purple Wrote:  
(11-02-2020 11:48 AM)Dukester Wrote:  Nobody from JMU, but if some of our past QBs has had the opportunity I think they could of done as well, or better.

Yeah. If we had some ham, we could have ham and eggs, if we had some eggs.

You are presuming that pro scouts and coaches are stupid, that they can't evaluate a quarterback's skills on tape or in person, that they have to rely on who the QB played for, his teammates, and the system he played in. They don't ignore those factors, but they are called "professionals" for a reason. When they evaluate a quarterback, more than any other position, they are evaluating raw, individual talent and potential. All of JMU's past quarterbacks had the opportunity to shine for the scouts and coaches. They didn't cut it.

Now it sounds like some people here are saying, "Oh, yeah, DiNucci only got drafted because he is lucky. He actually sucks and snuck onto the Cowboys roster. Any JMU quarterback from the past would have wound up on an NFL roster if only given the same chance DiNucci was handed." What total crap!

You completely missed my point. Pro scouts looks for what suites their needs in the current NFL landscape. 8 - 10 years ago teams were looking more for the prototypical passer whereas now teams are going more towards the dual threat QB ie lamar, kyler, baker, mahomes, fields and lance are both projected as top 3 QBs. Dinucci fits the mold of a mobile QB. Hence why i said if Lee played in todays football landscape he would have fit much better into NFL teams' gameplans
11-03-2020 10:53 AM
Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

Looks like the Nooch gets another shot.

Dalton placed on COVID list. He’s out Sunday
11-03-2020 02:11 PM
Dukester Offline

(11-03-2020 02:11 PM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  Looks like the Nooch gets another shot.

Dalton placed on COVID list. He’s out Sunday

Yikes - he's go his work cut out for him against the Steelers.
11-03-2020 02:28 PM
bobbyjmu Offline
Special Teams

Can someone get in touch w/ Arthur Moats, and have him tell his Steeler buddies to go easy on Ben? He's going to be a sacrificial lamb against that defense?
11-03-2020 02:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.