Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Playoffs
Bookmark and Share
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
RE: Playoffs
(10-27-2020 05:19 PM)doss2 Wrote:  I wish it so but I fear you guys are inhaling.

There could be 4 undefeated teams, AL, Clemson, OSU and UC and everyone else with 2 losses and one of those 2 loss teams (SEC) would get the 4th spot.

Also we have a very though road. Memphis and UH here. UCF and Tulsa on the road.

No inhaling necessary. We're at #7 now. If we remain undefeated, including a conference championship, you have to believe we would move up a few spots. Georgia already has one loss and I'm not sold on Notre Fame.

1 Clemson [6-0]
2 Alabama [5-0]
3 Ohio St. [1-0]
4 Notre Dame [5-0]
5 Georgia [3-1]
6 Oklahoma St. [4-0]
7 Cincinnati [4-0]

10-27-2020 07:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, and Notre Dame could all end up with 1 loss and be ranked ahead of us very easily IMO. That's why the best case scenario is a tram from each P5 going undefeated along with us, obviously that is unlikely to happen, but that is the easiest way this playoff format gets turned into something it should've been all along with the P5 conference Champs, the Top G5 team, and 2 at larges.

10-27-2020 09:41 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(10-27-2020 07:10 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  
(10-27-2020 05:19 PM)doss2 Wrote:  I wish it so but I fear you guys are inhaling.

There could be 4 undefeated teams, AL, Clemson, OSU and UC and everyone else with 2 losses and one of those 2 loss teams (SEC) would get the 4th spot.

Also we have a very though road. Memphis and UH here. UCF and Tulsa on the road.

No inhaling necessary. We're at #7 now. If we remain undefeated, including a conference championship, you have to believe we would move up a few spots. Georgia already has one loss and I'm not sold on Notre Fame.

1 Clemson [6-0]
2 Alabama [5-0]
3 Ohio St. [1-0]
4 Notre Dame [5-0]
5 Georgia [3-1]
6 Oklahoma St. [4-0]
7 Cincinnati [4-0]

College Football Playoff rankings are not released until late November. Whatever those rankings are they are not CFP rankings.

10-27-2020 09:49 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

(10-27-2020 09:49 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  
(10-27-2020 07:10 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  

1 Clemson [6-0]
2 Alabama [5-0]
3 Ohio St. [1-0]
4 Notre Dame [5-0]
5 Georgia [3-1]
6 Oklahoma St. [4-0]
7 Cincinnati [4-0]

College Football Playoff rankings are not released until late November. Whatever those rankings are they are not CFP rankings.

Correct. Those are the current AP poll - it's all we got for now as a basis of comparison/discussion purposes.

10-27-2020 10:02 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

FWIW, I don't believe Georgia and Notre Dame will be in the CFP discussion because they will end up with two losses each. That's two less teams crowding us out at the top. This is all conjecture and fun and games but if there was ever a year that we have a shot to get in without an expanded CFP then this is the year IMO.

10-27-2020 10:07 PM
Bear Catlett Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC
Look, Bama, Clemson and O$U are in. You can take that to the bank.

So it's everyone else for one spot.

To put us in, they would have to consider us more worthy than the B12 champ, the Pac 12 champ and the little Irish twits.

...that aint gonna happen.

10-28-2020 05:34 AM
doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
Last night on ESPN there was a program reviewing the playoff picture. Of the 5 commentators only Joey Galloway listed us in top 6 (at #6).

No more than about 4 words about us but about 8 minutes about BYU. Pretty much totally ignored.

Expected but disgusting.

10-28-2020 06:18 AM
Bearcatbdub Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The 'Cats! duh!
(10-28-2020 05:34 AM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  Look, Bama, Clemson and O$U are in. You can take that to the bank.

To put us in, they would have to consider us more worthy than the B12 champ, the Pac 12 champ and the little Irish twits.

Our best chance was when the Big10 and Pac12 were not playing. Now all we can do is win out and cross our fingers.

I am not hopeful.

10-28-2020 06:33 AM
OKIcat Online
Heisman

(10-28-2020 06:33 AM)Bearcatbdub Wrote:  
(10-28-2020 05:34 AM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  Look, Bama, Clemson and O$U are in. You can take that to the bank.

Our best chance was when the Big10 and Pac12 were not playing. Now all we can do is win out and cross our fingers.

I am not hopeful.

Agreed. And if Nebraska is as bad this year as its been in recent years, I'm not even sure if UC had played and won that game it would have made much difference. UCF was beating P5 "also rans" in its best years and it didn't seem to move the needle.

It will be interesting to watch what happens to Wisconsin with its QB health issues right now. But I don't think WI or MN would beat OSU in the B10 championship so I see only one B10 team in the playoff mix.

To me, the greatest benefits of the high ranking are staying atop the pecking order for a potential P5 invite by winning the American and earning a NY6 bowl bid. When Utah and TCU got really good, each found its way to the P5. Sustained success on the field certainly can't hurt.

Finally, does anyone else sense that UC is getting more respect than UCF did in their best years? I can't explain it really; perhaps UCF's shameless self-promotion, being a "directional" school or just the relative newness of the University. I'm not saying any of that is fair to UCF, but I just feel UC is getting more love nationally.

(This post was last modified: 10-28-2020 06:57 AM by OKIcat.)
10-28-2020 06:53 AM
bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
Uc built a reputation from 2006 through 2013. Despite the tuberville setback this program is still viewed positively. Honestly most the last three years voters have had us higher than our computer rankings.

(This post was last modified: 10-28-2020 07:04 AM by bearcatmark.)
10-28-2020 07:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Playoff was not going to happen anyways.

Go undefeated, win that bowl game and call UCF to see where they ordered their fake national championship trophy.

10-28-2020 07:50 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

(10-28-2020 06:53 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  

I am not hopeful.

Agreed. And if Nebraska is as bad this year as its been in recent years, I'm not even sure if UC had played and won that game it would have made much difference. UCF was beating P5 "also rans" in its best years and it didn't seem to move the needle.

It will be interesting to watch what happens to Wisconsin with its QB health issues right now. But I don't think WI or MN would beat OSU in the B10 championship so I see only one B10 team in the playoff mix.

To me, the greatest benefits of the high ranking are staying atop the pecking order for a potential P5 invite by winning the American and earning a NY6 bowl bid. When Utah and TCU got really good, each found its way to the P5. Sustained success on the field certainly can't hurt.

Finally, does anyone else sense that UC is getting more respect than UCF did in their best years? I can't explain it really; perhaps UCF's shameless self-promotion, being a "directional" school or just the relative newness of the University. I'm not saying any of that is fair to UCF, but I just feel UC is getting more love nationally.

That's a bit of an exaggeration. You say "P5 also-rans" as if they beat multiple decent P5 teams. In 2013 they beat Penn State, but lost to South Carolina in week 4. The only FBS teams they beat in 2017 were 4-8 Maryland and 8-5 FIU. The only FBS teams they beat in 2018 were 6-7 Pitt and 5-7 FAU.

Also, I think you're right on your other point: UC gets more respect than UCF.

UCF had an image problem. They were a johnny-come-lately directional school. Just like Boise in the early 00s, UCF didn't start getting respect from pollsters until they had several great seasons behind them. For UCF, the respect started in 2018. But the respect was muted because 1) they were on their 3rd coach in 4 years, 2) they went 0-12 in 2015, 3) their theatrics in refusing to take 2-for-1 deals to play good teams, and 4) as you mentioned, the theatrics of claiming the 2017 title.

UC's respect came more instantly because were winning BCS conference titles (it also helped that we already had a winning brand name in basketball). By now, we've been recognized as a decent program for almost 15 years.

We also have a well-respected coach who turned down a job offer from Michigan State. Pollsters aren't just ranking the team, they're ranking the coach. Even if they had the same game results, would Clemson be ranked #1 right now if Dabo had retired in the offseason?

10-28-2020 08:15 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(10-28-2020 08:15 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  
(10-28-2020 06:53 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  

I am not hopeful.

That's a bit of an exaggeration. You say "P5 also-rans" as if they beat multiple decent P5 teams. In 2013 they beat Penn State, but lost to South Carolina in week 4. The only FBS teams they beat in 2017 were 4-8 Maryland and 8-5 FIU. The only FBS teams they beat in 2018 were 6-7 Pitt and 5-7 FAU.

Also, I think you're right on your other point: UC gets more respect than UCF.

UCF had an image problem. They were a johnny-come-lately directional school. Just like Boise in the early 00s, UCF didn't start getting respect from pollsters until they had several great seasons behind them. For UCF, the respect started in 2018. But the respect was muted because 1) they were on their 3rd coach in 4 years, 2) they went 0-12 in 2015, 3) their theatrics in refusing to take 2-for-1 deals to play good teams, and 4) as you mentioned, the theatrics of claiming the 2017 title.

UC's respect came more instantly because were winning BCS conference titles (it also helped that we already had a winning brand name in basketball). By now, we've been recognized as a decent program for almost 15 years.

We also have a well-respected coach who turned down a job offer from Michigan State. Pollsters aren't just ranking the team, they're ranking the coach. Even if they had the same game results, would Clemson be ranked #1 right now if Dabo had retired in the offseason?

This is something I've figured out the past several years as well. The pollsters love Luke Fickell. Looking back, pollsters value programs that win the "right way", meaning tough defense and grinding it out on offense. I've heard it said many times by writers and analysts (including the color commentator Saturday and Ryen Russillo on his podcast this week)- our program is built like a B10 team. By comparison they saw our 2007-2012 team and the UCF program as built with smoke and mirrors, a house of cards that can come crashing very quickly. Of course, I am not saying those guys are right (UCF is certainly an excellent program in my book), but it very clear to me that is what the perception is.

10-28-2020 08:25 AM
Cataclysmo Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnat
Playoffs
Wisconsin cancels their game against Nebraska. My plan is all falling into place.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

10-28-2020 11:29 AM
Z-Fly Offline
1st String

(10-28-2020 07:50 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Playoff was not going to happen anyways.

Go undefeated, win that bowl game and call UCF to see where they ordered their fake national championship trophy.

I'd wear that fake national champion T-Shirt with pride.

10-28-2020 01:47 PM
bearcatdp Offline
1st String

I'm just going to enjoy this season, hope we win every game and then we can complain in the end if we don't get a spot in the playoff. Being ranked where we are now, we will be in good shape at the end of the season (if we win out) where national media types will complain if we aren't included and there will be more of a push to expand the playoffs. We need to get a win against Memphis first. They have had our number lately.

(This post was last modified: 10-28-2020 01:59 PM by bearcatdp.)
10-28-2020 01:58 PM
doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
(10-28-2020 11:29 AM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  Wisconsin cancels their game against Nebraska. My plan is all falling into place.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I think it was cancel or one of the cheerleaders would have to play QB.

10-28-2020 02:01 PM
CoachFickFan Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Bearcats , Heat
(10-28-2020 07:50 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Playoff was not going to happen anyways.

Tulsa just got their AAC Mens Basketball Conference Championship rings. All you need is a ring, baby.

10-28-2020 02:20 PM
iBinturong Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
This is all good to think about, but honestly I think our biggest challenge is making our way through the rest of our schedule with wins. That would be a monumental accomplishment itself. That said, if I am dreaming, I think our biggest challenge for a the last spot in the playoffs comes from Ok St. I believe they will lose one game but win the Big 12. If (and this is a big if) we crush Tulsa in our last game after running the table, I think the committee would have to look at the head to head performance of both teams with Tulsa as a potential tie breaker. I believe the Pac 12 will be a non-factor as it is most years.

10-28-2020 02:38 PM
Cataclysmo Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnat
(10-28-2020 02:38 PM)iBinturong Wrote:  This is all good to think about, but honestly I think our biggest challenge is making our way through the rest of our schedule with wins. That would be a monumental accomplishment itself. That said, if I am dreaming, I think our biggest challenge for a the last spot in the playoffs comes from Ok St. I believe they will lose one game but win the Big 12. If (and this is a big if) we crush Tulsa in our last game after running the table, I think the committee would have to look at the head to head performance of both teams with Tulsa as a potential tie breaker. I believe the Pac 12 will be a non-factor as it is most years.

It would be very interesting if Tulsa continues their great year and they work their way into the top 20/top 15 with only one loss (to Ok State). Would certainly be something the committee could look to as a tiebreaker.

10-28-2020 03:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.