Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Shared Path Forward...
Bookmark and Share
Tribe3455 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: William & Mary
RE: Shared Path Forward...
(12-04-2020 12:55 PM)Tribal Wrote:  Well....quite a generous on top of a $500k salary and provided house. I guess we have plenty of money after all.

W&M prez gets $75K bonus for handling pandemic, athletics, Board of Visitors says
https://t.co/RA4kY5CqLJ

#WilliamsburgVA #JamesCityCounty #YorkCountyVA https://t.co/a1ARCGlSbG

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

I would voluntarily give up part of my salary as well if I had a friendly board that would give it back, in full, at year's end.

Wonder if Coach London and Dane got their salaries back. They had nothing to do with any scandal, kept their teams together and moving forward but are still sitting on smaller salaries.
12-04-2020 01:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TribePride91 Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M Tribe
(12-04-2020 12:55 PM)Tribal Wrote:  Well....quite a generous on top of a $500k salary and provided house. I guess we have plenty of money after all.

W&M prez gets $75K bonus for handling pandemic, athletics, Board of Visitors says
https://t.co/RA4kY5CqLJ

#WilliamsburgVA #JamesCityCounty #YorkCountyVA https://t.co/a1ARCGlSbG

Totally in the dark on this, but didn't she agree to take a 15% cut earlier this year? If so, could the 75K really be the reinstatement of her regular salary? The math is identical 15% of 500,000 is 75,000.
12-04-2020 01:17 PM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tribe
Let's look at it from an outside view. She did a great job on the pandemic, got on 60 minutes, etc. Worthy of recognition. She allowed Huge to completely alienate a broad swath of our alumni base, the professors, and the students. Maybe that's on her, but the fact that she put her chief of staff (thank goodness he has a background in athletics) on top of fixing it, and that she fell on a sword or two gives me more confidence. I assume either she is doing some of Martin's work herself while he's away, or he's pulling double duty. She has showed that she manages well in crisis IMO.
12-04-2020 02:45 PM
TribeinVB Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: William & Mary and ODU
Completely don't get this. The "optics" are horrible given the financial hardship going on in the country and the poverty being plead by the school. How she gets a pass on the incredible turmoil created by the sports cuts is also beyond me. The BOV seems very out of touch.
12-04-2020 03:15 PM
TribeFan1983 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Wm & Mary
Rowe's bonus is simply outrageous! Meanwhile, W&M students are paying high tuition costs for an ersatz college experience. Then they graduate to mountains of debt and no jobs with which to pay it off.
12-04-2020 03:37 PM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

(12-04-2020 03:37 PM)TribeFan1983 Wrote:  Rowe's bonus is simply outrageous! Meanwhile, W&M students are paying high tuition costs for an ersatz college experience. Then they graduate to mountains of debt and no jobs with which to pay it off.

I think the bonus is just part of her compensation package if she hits her objectives.
12-04-2020 05:40 PM
TribeFan1983 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Wm & Mary
(12-04-2020 05:40 PM)Tribe32 Wrote:  
(12-04-2020 03:37 PM)TribeFan1983 Wrote:  Rowe's bonus is simply outrageous! Meanwhile, W&M students are paying high tuition costs for an ersatz college experience. Then they graduate to mountains of debt and no jobs with which to pay it off.

I think the bonus is just part of her compensation package if she hits her objectives.

Regardless, back in the spring, Rowe made a big show of reducing her salary by some small percentage in supposed solidarity with her struggling underlings. Now the Board gives her money back and then some. Tone deaf moves like that are among the reasons many folks are questioning the value of a four year liberal arts degree.
12-04-2020 06:06 PM
soccerguy315 Offline
1st String

this is why it is hard for me to justify donations to organizations raising 9 figure amounts of money each year... meh

also did they really use good performance on athletics as part of the justification? lol

W&M can charge its tuition rates as long as people think they are getting value for it. I believe the pandemic will show more clearly that 2 years at community college and / or not funding your undergrad degree with excessive student loans is a smart idea. But idk.
12-04-2020 09:55 PM
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

(12-04-2020 06:06 PM)TribeFan1983 Wrote:  
(12-04-2020 05:40 PM)Tribe32 Wrote:  

Regardless, back in the spring, Rowe made a big show of reducing her salary by some small percentage in supposed solidarity with her struggling underlings. Now the Board gives her money back and then some. Tone deaf moves like that are among the reasons many folks are questioning the value of a four year liberal arts degree.

It's yet another tone deaf statement from the BoV, but this isn't some random award they decided to give out. From the sound of it, it's just a bonus that was in her contract. Isn't the contract on public record? Go there to see what the requirements were.

But to your point, probably would have just been better off not saying anything. It doesn't always have to be a big show.
12-05-2020 01:03 AM
Tribal Offline

Shared Path Forward...
It doesn't sound like the bonus was in her contract: "The approval for the bonuses was unanimous."

I happen to like the idea of rewarding for above & beyond work. But, it's a hard sell to ask the common fan to fork over donations to help with a financial disaster then pay out voluntary bonuses. This should never been announced but we all demanded transparency so there it is.

12-05-2020 07:28 AM
Tribal Offline

Shared Path Forward...
From our recently departed S&C coach:

Call me old fashioned but those who get paid the most in the good times should bear the biggest brunt in the tough times, not getting bonuses.

Still a whole lot of furloughed and reassigned staff out there struggling financially who are being told everyone is "in it together"

The optics are bad.... Because it's bad lol. Can't speak to other departments but they just cut 20% of S&C/HP jobs and cut the pay of the remaining jobs.

One academic adviser looking after 500+ athletes all semester too

If thats the way it has to be, so be it. But no bonuses

12-05-2020 07:37 AM
wanm65 Online
Special Teams

I Root For: W&M
Administration has expanded to a great degree in the past number of years as has academics.

As you may have noticed there have been NO proposed cuts in either administration or academics.

There are a number of positions in both administration and academics that provide no assistance to our students in providing real life experiences in being a success in today's world.

Until the College starts to get rid of these excess positions I will not believe they are serious about cutting costs.
12-05-2020 08:33 AM
Tribe3455 Offline
Special Teams

(12-05-2020 07:37 AM)Tribal Wrote:  From our recently departed S&C coach:

Call me old fashioned but those who get paid the most in the good times should bear the biggest brunt in the tough times, not getting bonuses.

Still a whole lot of furloughed and reassigned staff out there struggling financially who are being told everyone is "in it together"

The optics are bad.... Because it's bad lol. Can't speak to other departments but they just cut 20% of S&C/HP jobs and cut the pay of the remaining jobs.

Thank you rugby guy! This HAS to be addressed. Somehow the administrative offices in athletics continue to grow but the ranks of those that work directly with the athletes are shortchanged. One academic support person. During a pandemic. When even scheduling classes is a nightmare. Trainers doubling as strength coaches for months. But we have 6 staffers of the business office and one more business manager for the Tribe Club. For the fun of it I looked up Duke. They have 5 people in the business office but 13 in strength and conditioning. Lost count of the academic support staff. Richmond has 3 people in the business office and 4 each in academic support and S&C. Our staffing is COMPLETELY out of line. None of this can be fixed quickly but adding student athletes support staff THAT ACTUALLY DO THE WORK needs to be a high priority for a group that makes up 10% of the student body. We are bringing sports back but still don’t actually take care of the ones we have. We have amazing student athletes. Restructure in a way that helps them.
12-05-2020 08:55 AM
ScottyB757 Online
Special Teams

I Root For: W&M
(12-05-2020 08:55 AM)Tribe3455 Wrote:  

Thank you rugby guy! This HAS to be addressed. Somehow the administrative offices in athletics continue to grow but the ranks of those that work directly with the athletes are shortchanged. One academic support person. During a pandemic. When even scheduling classes is a nightmare. Trainers doubling as strength coaches for months. But we have 6 staffers of the business office and one more business manager for the Tribe Club. For the fun of it I looked up Duke. They have 5 people in the business office but 13 in strength and conditioning. Lost count of the academic support staff. Richmond has 3 people in the business office and 4 each in academic support and S&C. Our staffing is COMPLETELY out of line. None of this can be fixed quickly but adding student athletes support staff THAT ACTUALLY DO THE WORK needs to be a high priority for a group that makes up 10% of the student body. We are bringing sports back but still don’t actually take care of the ones we have. We have amazing student athletes. Restructure in a way that helps them.

+2, one for each of you.
12-05-2020 02:06 PM
wmmii Offline
1st String

Shared Path Forward...
(12-05-2020 08:55 AM)Tribe3455 Wrote:  

These are valid concerns which if accurate should be addressed by Interim AD Martin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
12-12-2020 06:04 AM
DSL Offline
2nd String

In the Gazette today, the city is considering constructing a regional sports complex on the site of the CW Visitor Center. W&M and Rowe are mentioned as being involved.
Could this be the swimming facility that is needed for our program? Rowe would have known of this new facility when the decision to cut swimming was made. Is the College providing any funding for this facility while cutting teams that might use it?
12-12-2020 02:48 PM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

Regardless of whether there is an aquatic center, I think it's a great idea to partner with local governments to do stuff like this. I wish they would do more with Plumeri and the Soccer facility at Dillard.
12-12-2020 05:58 PM
wmmii Offline
1st String

Shared Path Forward...
W&M owns lots of land they could make available for this enterprise which would already be on our campus for better synergy than the designated location at the current CW visitor center

12-13-2020 04:34 AM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

(12-13-2020 04:34 AM)wmmii Wrote:  W&M owns lots of land they could make available for this enterprise which would already be on our campus for better synergy than the designated location at the current CW visitor center

But it isn't as convenient in terms of location relative to major roads, and there is already an abundance of parking spots at the visitors center.

I think that part of this is to give CW a boost financially as well as to the cities/counties where the Historic Triangle sites are located.
12-13-2020 06:47 AM
Tribal Offline

(12-12-2020 05:58 PM)Tribe32 Wrote:  Regardless of whether there is an aquatic center, I think it's a great idea to partner with local governments to do stuff like this. I wish they would do more with Plumeri and the Soccer facility at Dillard.
The former dorms next to Plumeri are abandoned. They are so dilapidated, I bet it would cost millions to make them suitable for students. Beautiful structures just going to waste.

12-13-2020 08:38 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.