Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

On Samantha Huge: John Daly Speaks Out
Bookmark and Share
WMSportsBlog Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: William & Mary
How many of you remember W&M soccer coach/legend John Daly? Coach joins us for a guest post on his experience being *asked to retire* by former AD Samantha Huge.

Article: https://wmsportsblog.com/2020/10/13/on-s...john-daly/
10-13-2020 06:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tribe32 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tribe
RE: On Samantha Huge: John Daly Speaks Out
Thank you for getting John to describe his experience. Anyone else on these boards who needs an explanation?
10-13-2020 07:09 PM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

Oh well done sportsblog! Great pull

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
10-13-2020 07:14 PM
Tribe1693 Offline
Special Teams

Guys,

Thank you for having Coach Daly share his experience. Well done by you. This speaks volumes and confirms the whispers we heard.

As Tribal and others have said, she's gone and it is now time to move on. Thankfully.
10-13-2020 07:21 PM
Tribal Offline

Exactly what I've requested. All our media had to do was ask the right people. Not placing blame...I guarantee she would've pulled media credentials and blackballed anyone who dared to cast her as anything less than marvelous.

If anyone reading this doesn't, now, understand why I rightfully labeled her "evil" a couple years ago, welp, now you know. She is an awful human and incompetent leader. Good riddance.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2020 07:42 PM by Tribal.)
10-13-2020 07:32 PM
LeadBolt Online
All American

Great job guys! Now that the organization has been rid of this cancer, I hope that it has not weakened the body to where healing is impaired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10-13-2020 08:16 PM
Advertisement

DSL Offline
2nd String

I hope Daly's remarks are reported in the Times Dispatch and Tidewater papers.

Did Rowe know nothing? Did she decide to do nothing? Did Rowe tolerate
a hostile work environment? Does Rowe need a major performance review?
10-13-2020 08:30 PM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

(10-13-2020 08:30 PM)DSL Wrote:  I hope Daly's remarks are reported in the Times Dispatch and Tidewater papers.

Did Rowe know nothing? Did she decide to do nothing? Did Rowe tolerate
a hostile work environment? Does Rowe need a major performance review?
Someone get Julia Marsigliano on the line!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
10-13-2020 08:37 PM
Tribe3455 Offline
Special Teams

https://richmond.com/sports/college/will...fbaa7.html

You people think Samantha Huge did damage to Tribe Athletics? Wait till the faculty is involved. The crazies are empowering the worst group possible to direct athletics decisions. And another strategic plan. Lol. Here we go.
10-14-2020 06:48 AM
NC Tribe Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M, JMU
(10-14-2020 06:48 AM)Tribe3455 Wrote:  https://richmond.com/sports/college/will...fbaa7.html

You people think Samantha Huge did damage to Tribe Athletics? Wait till the faculty is involved. The crazies are empowering the worst group possible to direct athletics decisions. And another strategic plan. Lol. Here we go.

Yes, but the Huge fiasco is what opened the door for this...
10-14-2020 07:20 AM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

This is only the beginning of people coming out. My guess is that a reporter is working on a big article as we speak. If JD is willing to put his quotes out there others will follow. From what I understand, people who have left the department have been told that if they talk, their friends/colleagues still in the department will suffer. Now she's gone, so that should go away.
10-14-2020 07:31 AM
Advertisement

Tribal Offline

(10-14-2020 06:48 AM)Tribe3455 Wrote:  https://richmond.com/sports/college/will...fbaa7.html

They want:

No involvement of external consulting firms in the formation of a new strategic plan.

Reinstatement of the seven cut sports pending further review by the Athletics Task Force.

An external audit of the athletics department by an accredited independent accounting firm.

An independent review of NCAA and Title IX compliance in Tribe athletics.

Points 1, 3, and 4 seem reasonable to me. Point 2, for me, requires a lot of research & fundraising to determine where we go. What we don't need is a professor with a personal agenda.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
10-14-2020 07:36 AM
nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary

Guthrie’s letter protesting the termination of the Tribe 7 had more common sense, and more legitimate facts, than any of the recent consulting reports relied upon by the Administration.

Some would argue that “the worst group possible to direct athletics decisions” resigned last week ... ironically on the same day that your “worst group possible” was going to consider a vote of no confidence.
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2020 07:42 AM by nj alum.)
10-14-2020 07:41 AM
TDenverFan Offline
All American

John Daly? But we didn't even cut golf?

Kidding, of course. This was a disappointing read, but I'm glad you guys did it.
10-14-2020 07:46 AM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

Maybe, just maybe if there was real alignment with the faculty and the Athletic Department that it would be better for the athletes. Seems to make sense to me. Solidarity is usually a good thing.
10-14-2020 07:47 AM
Tank55 Offline
Bench Warmer

Thank you for publishing. That was infuriating. I'm more in the "liked the vision, hated the execution" camp, but even if it was done tactfully, I don't see how forcing out Daly served any purpose.
10-14-2020 08:15 AM
Advertisement

soccerguy315 Offline
1st String

(10-14-2020 08:15 AM)Tank55 Wrote:  Thank you for publishing. That was infuriating. I'm more in the "liked the vision, hated the execution" camp, but even if it was done tactfully, I don't see how forcing out Daly served any purpose.

I agree. It makes no sense.
10-14-2020 08:44 AM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

(10-14-2020 08:15 AM)Tank55 Wrote:  Thank you for publishing. That was infuriating. I'm more in the "liked the vision, hated the execution" camp, but even if it was done tactfully, I don't see how forcing out Daly served any purpose.

It was part of her master plan. Get rid of every person in the department who had strong ties to the old guard and who may not be interested in her new way of doing things. The list is really long. Many long time icons are on the list. Too many people decided to "retire" or "move closer to home" or whatever excuse made it look okay. What a shame.

I fully expect for there to be a mass migration out of the department for the folks she brought in unless Martin rights the ship and stays on long term. Very difficult to stay in a situation like this not knowing who your boss will be.
10-14-2020 08:49 AM
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

(10-14-2020 08:44 AM)soccerguy315 Wrote:  

I agree. It makes no sense.

+1 here too.

The theory getting a lot of evidence is that she wanted coaches she hired to be successful instead of coaches she inherited. That also makes no sense.
10-14-2020 08:53 AM
billymac Offline
Heisman

(10-14-2020 07:41 AM)nj alum Wrote:  

Guthrie’s letter protesting the termination of the Tribe 7 had more common sense, and more legitimate facts, than any of the recent consulting reports relied upon by the Administration.

Some would argue that “the worst group possible to direct athletics decisions” resigned last week ... ironically on the same day that your “worst group possible” was going to consider a vote of no confidence.

Actually, in my history with W&M, involving the faculty in the decision making process for Athletics, almost always ends in a more involved quagmire. NJ, I know you are old enough to remember almost losing football because of that very thing.

I have no problem with putting a panel in place, made up of academics and students, to hold the decision makers feet to the fire, but to thrust them into a decision making power roll, in a situation they know about from only the point of view of an outside observer, seems like just another layer of morass to the quagmire we have found ourselves in.

The bottom line is that money, dollars and cents (sense?) will decide the final outcome. You can't continue to go back to a well that is drying up and expect to get as much water as you need. The bucket will eventually come back up empty.

To just say "reinstate the 7 and we'll go on as we always have" is not going to work. Eventually, the financial burden will force us into moves that would be a lot worse (cutting FB, going D-III) than reducing the number of sports currently supported.
10-14-2020 08:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.