The CAA schools hate each other - Article
Bookmark and Share
jumpinmullet Offline
1st String

I Root For: NA
RE: The CAA schools hate each other - Article
(04-23-2021 08:41 AM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  
(04-22-2021 03:02 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(04-22-2021 02:56 PM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  Joining the Big South, in my opinion, would hurt our athletic program as a whole. Especially baseball.
Unless something has changed, the SoCon has zero interest in adding another non football school. UNCG is grandfathered in.

CAA is 16th right now in conference RPI, Big South is 18. Looking back at the last 3 years they have been within 4 spots each year.

My calculations say that's still a drop for a baseball program that has been consistently good. Not to mention national rankings in soccer and tennis.
I agree but those sports don't make money and might be benefited by a move that brings in revenue to spend on better facilities,ect. The SoCon would be the better spot if possible but I don't see UNCW moving at all and that is pretty sad. Been saying ir for years but I have never heard any news based in fact that it is being considered.
04-23-2021 09:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SEA33HAWK Offline
All American

I Root For: UNCW
The biggest problem the CAA has is its leadership at the top. Has been for several decades now. It could possibly be easier to revamp that leadership than jump to another conference that offers little to nothing for improvement. This is where all the schools need to pull together, like the SoCon has and make a bond to promotes and improve athletics as a conference. Getting a commitment from all schools is the question.
04-23-2021 12:02 PM
TribePride91 Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M Tribe
The landscape at W&M has changed a lot in the last 6 months. I would think W&M would be a lot more of a willing partner with other CAA institutions than we were at this time last year. It is definitely a happier place right now as well. I can certainly see merits for Charleston and for UNCW to consider other options. The unknown is that just because some message board fans think the league is falling apart, or the ACC is merely waiting for the call to take JMU or Charleston into the league, doesn't mean there are realistic actual moving options. JMU certainly has resources and a large enough student body for a bigger league, but the finances are not as simple. The move from the CAA was probably good for Richmond, but hasn't been as good for ODU or George Mason. Plus, you have to have a league that wants to offer membership.

I totally agree that the current CAA leadership has done a terrible job marketing the league, trying to foster any type of exposure or growth, or done anything designed to help the conference as a whole. There was much greater exposure 7-8 years ago when the CAA had games on Comcast and on NBC Sports Network than anything since. Prior to the departure of VCU, RIchmond, ODU and GMU, the league was as good in most sports as the A10. Now, it is closer to the Big South than the A10.
04-23-2021 12:22 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-23-2021 12:22 PM)TribePride91 Wrote:  Now, it is closer to the Big South than the A10.

And that is the biggest frustration to me

We are spending a lot of money on travel to be in a subpar league playing teams where it's not realistic to make a road trip.

We could spend a lot less money to be in a subpar league playing teams where it is realistic to make a road trip.

On top of that the league is not trying to get better and has members like Hofstra who actively work against the good of the league and it's stabilization.

For all the crap Yeager gets on this board, under his tenure the CAA was hitting maximum potential with success, TV, and conference hegemony. Now we are putting our games behind an expensive paywall on a sevice no one has or wants so that we can pay for a handful of games on a channel very few have or watch and paying a lot more money in travel to do it.

I am not in favor of UNCW leaving for the Big South, but I certainly understand the sentiment. This league can improve and stabilize but for whatever reason it seems to be content with mediocrity
04-23-2021 02:45 PM
SEA33HAWK Offline
All American

(04-23-2021 02:45 PM)solohawks Wrote:  
(04-23-2021 12:22 PM)TribePride91 Wrote:  Now, it is closer to the Big South than the A10.

We are spending a lot of money on travel to be in a subpar league playing teams where it's not realistic to make a road trip.

We could spend a lot less money to be in a subpar league playing teams where it is realistic to make a road trip.

On top of that the league is not trying to get better and has members like Hofstra who actively work against the good of the league and it's stabilization.

For all the crap Yeager gets on this board, under his tenure the CAA was hitting maximum potential with success, TV, and conference hegemony. Now we are putting our games behind an expensive paywall on a sevice no one has or wants so that we can pay for a handful of games on a channel very few have or watch and paying a lot more money in travel to do it.

I am not in favor of UNCW leaving for the Big South, but I certainly understand the sentiment. This league can improve and stabilize but for whatever reason it seems to be content with mediocrity

Yeager only did good for his favored schools. And we were never one of those schools. He even campaigned for, and got, a team into post season play that finished below us in the standings. Even though he did better than the "Yahoo" that succeeded him, he made terrible decisions that was detrimental to the CAA and its potential for a strong, long standing force among mid major conferences. If he was just a decent commissioner in his long reign of the CAA, other bigger conferences would have been knocking on his door. Since UNCW has been in this conference, our comissioners have been nothing but laughing stocks.
I don't know for sure why he didn't like us. Except maybe that Richmond never wanted us as a member. And he was their pony soldier.
04-23-2021 03:02 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-23-2021 03:02 PM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  

Yeager only did good for his favored schools. And we were never one of those schools. He even campaigned for, and got, a team into post season play that finished below us in the standings. Even though he did better than the "Yahoo" that succeeded him, he made terrible decisions that was detrimental to the CAA and its potential for a strong, long standing force among mid major conferences. If he was just a decent commissioner in his long reign of the CAA, other bigger conferences would have been knocking on his door. Since UNCW has been in this conference, our comissioners have been nothing but laughing stocks.
I don't know for sure why he didn't like us. Except maybe that Richmond never wanted us as a member. And he was their pony soldier.

We will just have to disagree on this one

Under his tenure the conference as a whole saw great success on all fronts.
04-23-2021 03:43 PM
SEA33HAWK Offline
All American

(04-23-2021 03:43 PM)solohawks Wrote:  

I'm guessing you never experienced the way he treated the team and our fans in Richmond during the CAA tournament. One example was the year we were favored to beat Richmond in the championship game. He cancelled the post game celebration event they had for the winning team and their fans every year. Then threw a celebration together for Richmond win they ended up winning. Security was threating to toss a couple of fans for hanging their UNCW sweatshirts over the rail in the end zone on our side. But allowed Richmond fans to do the same thing on their end.
And you sure don't announce that the CAA is going to compete against other strong conferences by giving athletics the means to do so. Then abruptly cut the number of teams to compete in the CAA baseball tournament from six to four. When most all strong baseball conferences were including at least eight teams.
04-23-2021 03:59 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-23-2021 03:59 PM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  

I'm guessing you never experienced the way he treated the team and our fans in Richmond during the CAA tournament. One example was the year we were favored to beat Richmond in the championship game. He cancelled the post game celebration event they had for the winning team and their fans every year. Then threw a celebration together for Richmond win they ended up winning. Security was threating to toss a couple of fans for hanging their UNCW sweatshirts over the rail in the end zone on our side. But allowed Richmond fans to do the same thing on their end.
And you sure don't announce that the CAA is going to compete against other strong conferences by giving athletics the means to do so. Then abruptly cut the number of teams to compete in the CAA baseball tournament from six to four. When most all strong baseball conferences were including at least eight teams.
Joey D wouldn't let me storm the court in Charleston.

Yeager let me in Richmond
04-23-2021 04:00 PM
Seahawk Nation 08 Offline
Hall of Famer

This league had success in spite of Yeager, not because of him. Especially in the latter years of his tenure.

And post-Yeager things somehow got even worse.
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2021 07:37 PM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
04-23-2021 07:34 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
(04-23-2021 04:00 PM)solohawks Wrote:  
(04-23-2021 02:45 PM)solohawks Wrote:  And that is the biggest frustration to me

That’s how you gauge commissioners? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
04-23-2021 07:39 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-23-2021 07:39 PM)B_Hawk06 Wrote:  
(04-23-2021 04:00 PM)solohawks Wrote:  Joey D wouldn't let me storm the court in Charleston.

That’s how you gauge commissioners? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

How else is there
04-23-2021 08:03 PM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-23-2021 04:00 PM)solohawks Wrote:  
(04-23-2021 02:45 PM)solohawks Wrote:  And that is the biggest frustration to me

But yet we figured it out :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
04-23-2021 09:45 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Drexel
Has anyone realized yet the reason every team in the CAA is unhappy is because we are literally a conference of misfits. Few of us have a logical home or a conference we fit well in or align with. If we did, we would already be there. I think that is what makes the CAA viable, in a twisted sort of way. Of course to be viable you need viable leadership. But without that and each school acting in their own behalf, its borderline a disaster of a conference. But this fine line between success and failure has always been around since they saved the conference with the AEast additions. With that said, that is why I am on the side of saving the conference and making it work. There is enough good potential to make it worth it, but it needs to be realized and soon. The whole can be greater than the individual, if we all work together. There is no reason (except the portal/free agency) this conference cant be a really strong consistent basketball conference again. But I fully understand why each school hates the setup, we are all in the same boat here.

As far as the commentary about media, we all agree its a bad deal, for everyone except the coffers of those in charge in Richmond. With that said, exposure for all teams in basketball in Philly is as good as ever, since Drexel has been using that FLO money as intended. Nearly every home basketball game has been on comcast philly/nbc philly during this duration, which was not even the case during the height of the CAA. We are spending a lot of money to stay visible and that benefits all schools who play us. Now...whether or not its being watch is a different story. With so much streaming and less cable watching in general, I suspect its a net negative for eyeballs, but in the Philly market its never been easier to watch a Drexel home basketball game. So there is your 1 positive I can give you (and that is not even a direct payoff from the league but a school seemingly becoming interested in sports and making the most of a bad deal)
04-26-2021 08:15 AM
swampcougar1 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: CofC
CAA tv was better than Flo sports.
04-26-2021 08:54 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-26-2021 08:15 AM)dan10 Wrote:  Has anyone realized yet the reason every team in the CAA is unhappy is because we are literally a conference of misfits. Few of us have a logical home or a conference we fit well in or align with. If we did, we would already be there. I think that is what makes the CAA viable, in a twisted sort of way. Of course to be viable you need viable leadership. But without that and each school acting in their own behalf, its borderline a disaster of a conference. But this fine line between success and failure has always been around since they saved the conference with the AEast additions. With that said, that is why I am on the side of saving the conference and making it work. There is enough good potential to make it worth it, but it needs to be realized and soon. The whole can be greater than the individual, if we all work together. There is no reason (except the portal/free agency) this conference cant be a really strong consistent basketball conference again. But I fully understand why each school hates the setup, we are all in the same boat here.

As far as the commentary about media, we all agree its a bad deal, for everyone except the coffers of those in charge in Richmond. With that said, exposure for all teams in basketball in Philly is as good as ever, since Drexel has been using that FLO money as intended. Nearly every home basketball game has been on comcast philly/nbc philly during this duration, which was not even the case during the height of the CAA. We are spending a lot of money to stay visible and that benefits all schools who play us. Now...whether or not its being watch is a different story. With so much streaming and less cable watching in general, I suspect its a net negative for eyeballs, but in the Philly market its never been easier to watch a Drexel home basketball game. So there is your 1 positive I can give you (and that is not even a direct payoff from the league but a school seemingly becoming interested in sports and making the most of a bad deal)

While the CAA is awful....it is on the University for not taking advantage of the TV option.
04-26-2021 09:46 AM
SEA33HAWK Offline
All American

What TV option do we have for national exposure?
04-26-2021 10:28 AM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

(04-26-2021 08:54 AM)swampcougar1 Wrote:  CAA tv was better than Flo sports.

Of course. FLO deal had nothing to do with the fans, we all agree there
04-26-2021 11:03 AM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

(04-26-2021 10:28 AM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  What TV option do we have for national exposure?

CBS sports, if you are lucky to have it, for about 5 games a year (conference-wide)!
04-26-2021 11:03 AM
tke75hawk Offline
1st String

I Root For: uncw
The schools should have used the money to upgrade production of the sports for tv or streaming and then gone to espn+. They may also then get some games on tv with espn.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
04-26-2021 11:44 AM
SEA33HAWK Offline
All American

^^^^What 75 said^^^^
04-26-2021 11:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.