Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The CAA schools hate each other - Article
Bookmark and Share
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
RE: The CAA schools hate each other - Article
(04-22-2021 02:56 PM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  Joining the Big South, in my opinion, would hurt our athletic program as a whole. Especially baseball.
Unless something has changed, the SoCon has zero interest in adding another non football school. UNCG is grandfathered in.

CAA is 16th right now in conference RPI, Big South is 18. Looking back at the last 3 years they have been within 4 spots each year.
04-22-2021 03:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Florida tribe fan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tribe
(04-22-2021 03:02 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(04-22-2021 02:56 PM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  Joining the Big South, in my opinion, would hurt our athletic program as a whole. Especially baseball.
Unless something has changed, the SoCon has zero interest in adding another non football school. UNCG is grandfathered in.

CAA is 16th right now in conference RPI, Big South is 18. Looking back at the last 3 years they have been within 4 spots each year.

List any signature wins by CAA or Big South members in the last five years, if you can. Suspect they might be easier to find for SOCON. That said, any perceived prestige advantage amongst leagues at this level is insufficient to buy an at large bid or meaningful tournament seeding differential.

It’s poor stewardship by institutional leadership to think CAA travel makes any sense. The media exposure argument is a stretch. Can any admissions office provide data indicating applications are more numerous because of a basketball game played on a court over an ice hockey rink at Northeastern?
04-22-2021 04:58 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
(04-22-2021 04:58 PM)Florida tribe fan Wrote:  

List any signature wins by CAA or Big South members in the last five years, if you can. Suspect they might be easier to find for SOCON. That said, any perceived prestige advantage amongst leagues at this level is insufficient to buy an at large bid or meaningful tournament seeding differential.

It’s poor stewardship by institutional leadership to think CAA travel makes any sense. The media exposure argument is a stretch. Can any admissions office provide data indicating applications are more numerous because of a basketball game played on a court over an ice hockey rink at Northeastern?

You're speaking my language. I've always been highly skeptical of that selling point, as it seems utterly ridiculous. We all know what sells UNCW, and it's the beach. Without the beach, there's hardly any noticeable difference between UNCW and a large majority of the other smaller universities in NC.
04-22-2021 05:34 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
UNCW also has an incredible campus that is fully encompassed in its' footprint. A whole lot of potential students make their decision during the campus tour. The city of Wilmington is also a great selling point.

UNCW is really well known up north, has one of the highest out of state demands in the system. There is no way to separate the out of state demand from the CAA, since we've a member so long. But it has to help to have that exposure in large Northern cities.
04-22-2021 07:01 PM
Florida tribe fan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tribe
(04-22-2021 07:01 PM)82hawk Wrote:  UNCW also has an incredible campus that is fully encompassed in its' footprint. A whole lot of potential students make their decision during the campus tour. The city of Wilmington is also a great selling point.

UNCW is really well known up north, has one of the highest out of state demands in the system. There is no way to separate the out of state demand from the CAA, since we've a member so long. But it has to help to have that exposure in large Northern cities.

It might help if there was actual exposure, but the CAA doesn’t, effectively, have a media deal. It’s hard to imagine high school juniors flocking to Flo Sports to catch the Hofstra - UNCW game, and the conference members struggle to generate any print/digital coverage. It’s really hard to envision parents describing how those UNCW - Drexel games opened the door for their daughter to opt for college in Wilmington.
04-22-2021 07:44 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

(04-22-2021 07:44 PM)Florida tribe fan Wrote:  
(04-22-2021 07:01 PM)82hawk Wrote:  UNCW also has an incredible campus that is fully encompassed in its' footprint. A whole lot of potential students make their decision during the campus tour. The city of Wilmington is also a great selling point.

It might help if there was actual exposure, but the CAA doesn’t, effectively, have a media deal. It’s hard to imagine high school juniors flocking to Flo Sports to catch the Hofstra - UNCW game, and the conference members struggle to generate any print/digital coverage. It’s really hard to envision parents describing how those UNCW - Drexel games opened the door for their daughter to opt for college in Wilmington.

Not the point. I wouldn't know anything about Drexel, Hofstra, Towson, Northeastern, JMU if it weren't for them being in the CAA. The conference being in those areas alone gives UNCW exposure up north. The students who went to CAA schools up north one day have kids, and they know about UNCW when the time comes to make decisions. If we were in the SoCon or Big South, we'd get ZERO exposure up north because of our conference. That exposure was a deciding factor for College of Charleston when they came to the CAA.

Not to mention, you are known for the company you keep. The academic caliber of schools in the CAA blows away the SoCon and Big South. Not even close.
(This post was last modified: 04-22-2021 08:21 PM by 82hawk.)
04-22-2021 08:20 PM
jumpinmullet Offline
1st String

I Root For: NA

(This post was last modified: 04-22-2021 09:51 PM by jumpinmullet.)
04-22-2021 09:38 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

(04-22-2021 09:38 PM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  

It's not just about sports. Athletic conferences also reflect academics. It's the reason EZU would never be considered for the ACC, no matter how big they get or how much succes they have. Their academics are a joke. The Ivy league is an athletic conference, but it is made up of "ivy league" level academic institutions.

There is no doubt that UNCW benefits by being lumped in with a William and Mary, Drexel, Hofstra, Delaware, etc. All top notch universities. Elon followed CofC to the CAA in order to expand their name recognition up north as well. Like it or not, it is an important factor at UNCW when it comes to conference affiliation.
(This post was last modified: 04-22-2021 09:57 PM by 82hawk.)
04-22-2021 09:56 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
The CAA schools hate each other - Article
I agree on the academic quality of the CAA. That’s literally the only thing we have going for us in this conference, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
04-22-2021 09:56 PM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-22-2021 09:56 PM)B_Hawk06 Wrote:  I agree on the academic quality of the CAA. That’s literally the only thing we have going for us in this conference, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yep. The dead horse that gets beat about the large cities is just that, a dead horse. It doesn't matter if you have schools that are in cities where no one gives a F or goes to games or even pays attention. Drexel is like the 5th or 6th school in Philly and it's a city with multiple pro sports, same with Hofstra and NU. There has always been exposure up north, and i'm pretty certain there are a few on this board that made there way down to UNCW long before NU was hosting games with 800 people sporting the CAA logo. Media markets don't matter much when you have crappy media deals.
04-22-2021 10:32 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-22-2021 08:20 PM)82hawk Wrote:  

Not the point. I wouldn't know anything about Drexel, Hofstra, Towson, Northeastern, JMU if it weren't for them being in the CAA. The conference being in those areas alone gives UNCW exposure up north. The students who went to CAA schools up north one day have kids, and they know about UNCW when the time comes to make decisions. If we were in the SoCon or Big South, we'd get ZERO exposure up north because of our conference. That exposure was a deciding factor for College of Charleston when they came to the CAA.

Not to mention, you are known for the company you keep. The academic caliber of schools in the CAA blows away the SoCon and Big South. Not even close.

With UNCW having an out of state cap and already being a pretty popular place for Northern students, would leaving an athletic affiliation with the Northern schools hurt us that much?
04-23-2021 07:45 AM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-23-2021 07:45 AM)solohawks Wrote:  
(04-22-2021 08:20 PM)82hawk Wrote:  

With UNCW having an out of state cap and already being a pretty popular place for Northern students, would leaving an athletic affiliation with the Northern schools hurt us that much?
No! It likely would not.
04-23-2021 07:45 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

https://wmsportsblog.com/2021/04/16/shou...ot-league/

Here is an article from a W&M sports blog about the pros of joining the Patriot league. His conclusions were that it would be great for everything but football

Here is the fan response to his suggestion - Pretty negative
https://wmsportsblog.com/2021/04/22/shou...l_id=13980
04-23-2021 07:50 AM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-23-2021 07:50 AM)solohawks Wrote:  https://wmsportsblog.com/2021/04/16/shou...ot-league/

Here is an article from a W&M sports blog about the pros of joining the Patriot league. His conclusions were that it would be great for everything but football

But when it comes to Bill and Mary, if we want true fan reaction, we need to hear from CG. 04-cheers
04-23-2021 07:52 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-23-2021 07:52 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(04-23-2021 07:50 AM)solohawks Wrote:  https://wmsportsblog.com/2021/04/16/shou...ot-league/

But when it comes to Bill and Mary, if we want true fan reaction, we need to hear from CG. 04-cheers

03-lmfao
04-23-2021 07:52 AM
jumpinmullet Offline
1st String

I Root For: NA
(04-22-2021 09:56 PM)82hawk Wrote:  
(04-22-2021 07:44 PM)Florida tribe fan Wrote:  [quote='82hawk' pid='17394863' dateline='1619136117']
UNCW also has an incredible campus that is fully encompassed in its' footprint. A whole lot of potential students make their decision during the campus tour. The city of Wilmington is also a great selling point.

It's not just about sports. Athletic conferences also reflect academics. It's the reason EZU would never be considered for the ACC, no matter how big they get or how much succes they have. Their academics are a joke. The Ivy league is an athletic conference, but it is made up of "ivy league" level academic institutions.

There is no doubt that UNCW benefits by being lumped in with a William and Mary, Drexel, Hofstra, Delaware, etc. All top notch universities. Elon followed CofC to the CAA in order to expand their name recognition up north as well. Like it or not, it is an important factor at UNCW when it comes to conference affiliation.
[/quo.
The very notion that this is about academics is a total joke,it is a really good school but we are not talking Ivy League here. This is all about what conference best suits UNCW basketball to be in and the other sports while important have to take a back seat to the money maker. I'm not a huge fan of the Big South but it's pretty clear that it would be a better fit right now. The leadership at UNCW as far as I know has not leaked anything about a change so that tells you it should absolutely happen.
04-23-2021 08:16 AM
SEA33HAWK Offline
All American

My calculations say that's still a drop for a baseball program that has been consistently good. Not to mention national rankings in soccer and tennis.
04-23-2021 08:41 AM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-23-2021 08:41 AM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  

My calculations say that's still a drop for a baseball program that has been consistently good. Not to mention national rankings in soccer and tennis.
I don't disagree, but it's close. Think about what the baseball program might be able to accomplish with more money saved from travel?
04-23-2021 08:53 AM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

(04-23-2021 08:16 AM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  
(04-22-2021 09:56 PM)82hawk Wrote:  
(04-22-2021 07:44 PM)Florida tribe fan Wrote:  [quote='82hawk' pid='17394863' dateline='1619136117']

[/quo.
The very notion that this is about academics is a total joke,it is a really good school but we are not talking Ivy League here. This is all about what conference best suits UNCW basketball to be in and the other sports while important have to take a back seat to the money maker. I'm not a huge fan of the Big South but it's pretty clear that it would be a better fit right now. The leadership at UNCW as far as I know has not leaked anything about a change so that tells you it should absolutely happen.

Then you are clueless about UNCW, because academics in conference affiliation is a huge factor for the administration, and the CAA represents the company they want to keep.
04-23-2021 09:04 AM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

I don't agree with Academics making a ton of difference when it comes to athletic affiliation outside of obviously Ivy league, where sports take a aback seat anyways. However 82 is right(i feel dirty saying that), Just taking a gander at the average SAT score of the Big South Vs. the CAA is eye opening .
04-23-2021 09:17 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.