Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Silver Lining 2020-21 Football
Bookmark and Share
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jmu
Sad Silver Lining 2020-21 Football
I’m disappointed we couldn’t play in Fall. Who knows it may have been an opportunity for our program to gain more exposure. That said with everyone now planning to play in 2020 just some later in the Fall this could mean more exposure for JMU Football in Spring. It’s well known that football is a ratings winner vs other sports. There will be inventory in the form of FCS football in the Spring for ESPN and other outlets to feature on their channels and I’d be surprised if they don’t take advantage of it.

The biggest loser in 2020- ODU- they basically have said we will see you the Fall of 2021. How bad must the finances be that they have made that decision when the rest of their conference is trying to play?
09-27-2020 05:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
RE: Silver Lining 2020-21 Football
Just win 2 Nattys next year. Ez exposure.
09-27-2020 06:54 PM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
The CAA doesn't have a TV deal with ESPN, so there's approximately a 0% chance we'll land on any of their platforms. They're also going to be prioritizing P5 olympic sports, MLB and NBA coverage first.

It's going to be MadiZONE, Flo Sports and maybe some regional sports networks if we agree to play earlier games that kick off at noon or 1pm. Otherwise, they're going to tell us no to being broadcast on those channels because they'll want to air their Capitals, Wizards and Nationals pre-game coverage before any FCS football.

We'll have a better shot at TV games earlier in the season when the MLB hasn't started and you don't have NHL and NBA playoff pushes yet. From April and onward, good luck.

Sorry to be realistic and burst your bubble.
(This post was last modified: 09-28-2020 10:12 AM by Potomac.)
09-28-2020 10:08 AM
RamDawg Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU VCU
(09-28-2020 10:08 AM)Potomac Wrote:  The CAA doesn't have a TV deal with ESPN, so there's approximately a 0% chance we'll land on any of their platforms. They're also going to be prioritizing P5 olympic sports, MLB and NBA coverage first.

It's going to be MadiZONE, Flo Sports and maybe some regional sports networks if we agree to play earlier games that kick off at noon or 1pm. Otherwise, they're going to tell us no to being broadcast on those channels because they'll want to air their Capitals, Wizards and Nationals pre-game coverage before any FCS football.

We'll have a better shot at TV games earlier in the season when the MLB hasn't started and you don't have NHL and NBA playoff pushes yet. From April and onward, good luck.

Sorry to be realistic and burst your bubble.

I don't know...pro sports have alienated a lot of their casual fans, seems more and more walk away with each passing season. If these conference leaders were smart; they could totally take advantaged of the "... not until pro teams clean up their act" crowd.
09-28-2020 10:33 AM
AssyrianDuke Offline
All American

I don't think the alienated, casual fans will be interested in watching CAA football to get their football fix after dumping the NFL.
09-28-2020 10:56 AM
jmutoml757 Offline
All American

I Root For: jmu
Honest questions here, really want some insight from you all. What does a spring fb season do to the NFL chances for our guys? In other words, is the NFL going to delay the draft? What about pro days, combine etc? I’m thinking that legit prospects would forego a spring season to prepare for the NFL. Perhaps I am off on that.

In addition, what do we gain from having a spring season? I almost think it is a way to waste a year of eligibility for some quality players. And it will be as cold as a brass (insert your word here) in late January/February.

What do we lose if we do not have a spring season? Is it worth it if we are still under the current COVID restrictions? I love football and have been pretty depressed on Saturdays, but I am not sold on the spring idea. Again, I may be way off or missing something.
09-28-2020 11:32 AM
Advertisement

Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
If you’re expected to be a high draft pick it would certainly make sense to prepare for the draft so you look your best and stay injury free until you get the $$$. If not, looking best for the draft means actually playing. We don’t exactly have any slam dunk draft picks (such as Trey Lance) yet alone guys that have that dilemma of playing versus staying healthy, so they should all be out there.

With a championship being awarded in the spring it would be a waste to not go for it. To take the whole year off and not play would do harm to the brand and hit you in recruiting which is why those FBS conferences have recently opted back in to a late fall season after initially cancelling.
09-28-2020 12:04 PM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

The NCAA said all fall sports athletes do not have their 2020-2021 season competition count against their years of eligibility, regardless of whether their team plays in the fall, fall/winter or spring.

There is no "wasted year of eligibility".
09-28-2020 12:56 PM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-28-2020 12:04 PM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  With a championship being awarded in the spring it would be a waste to not go for it. To take the whole year off and not play would do harm to the brand and hit you in recruiting which is why those FBS conferences have recently opted back in to a late fall season after initially cancelling.

The Big 10 and Pac 12 made decisions and hoped the rest of the P5 followed their lead. Now they had to scramble with an "oh ****" moment when they realized they didn't postpone like they planned on doing. Proof the SEC rules the roost at the end of the day.

Obviously the G5 that remained also tied their decisions based on what the P5 did, especially in their region. If the rest of the P5 postponed, all of the G5 would've too.

This is as much about recruiting battles of not missing a year of national title competition and bowl games than anything.

They realized that although there's postponements and cancellations of some games nationwide, it isn't as wide spread as they had thought it would be, so far. The P5 knows they have the money to make bubble like operations work. It'll be interesting to see if these up to 25% capacity crowds result in any super spreader events. We shall see.
(This post was last modified: 09-28-2020 01:03 PM by Potomac.)
09-28-2020 01:01 PM
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

(09-28-2020 11:32 AM)jmutoml757 Wrote:  Honest questions here, really want some insight from you all. What does a spring fb season do to the NFL chances for our guys? In other words, is the NFL going to delay the draft? What about pro days, combine etc? I’m thinking that legit prospects would forego a spring season to prepare for the NFL. Perhaps I am off on that.

In addition, what do we gain from having a spring season? I almost think it is a way to waste a year of eligibility for some quality players. And it will be as cold as a brass (insert your word here) in late January/February.

What do we lose if we do not have a spring season? Is it worth it if we are still under the current COVID restrictions? I love football and have been pretty depressed on Saturdays, but I am not sold on the spring idea. Again, I may be way off or missing something.

The NFL will not delay it’s 2021 evaluation and draft for the FCS. Not gonna happen. The FCS is not relevant in the grand scheme.
Now maybe JMU Players get “lucky” and the draft is delayed for other reasons related to ongoing COVID problems.

If Alger had some gonads he would have played 4-6 non conference games in the Fall that Bourne had lined up, then plan To play 8 CAA conference games in the Spring if that season comes to fruition. For all we know, the Fall season could be played and then the pandemic gets worse instead of better thereby cancelling winter/Spring sports making a bad decision even worse.

Sure, Potential JMU players could opt out of the Late Spring games if they needed to attend workouts/combines but that would be the exception not the rule.
09-28-2020 05:23 PM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

Regarding TV and spring it’s not far fetched- if major networks broadcast the XFL or AFL or whatever else during Spring that they could broadcast FCS games
09-28-2020 05:56 PM
Advertisement

Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

(09-28-2020 05:23 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  If Alger had some gonads he would have played 4-6 non conference games in the Fall that Bourne had lined up, then plan To play 8 CAA conference games in the Spring if that season comes to fruition. For all we know, the Fall season could be played and then the pandemic gets worse instead of better thereby cancelling winter/Spring sports making a bad decision even worse.

Sure, Potential JMU players could opt out of the Late Spring games if they needed to attend workouts/combines but that would be the exception not the rule.
Easy to blame Alger for everything, but what you propose is a waste of money and makes little sense. They tried to get a fall schedule going but it didn’t work. They should just schedule like Campbell, go on the road to FBS schools and play with no fans, no revenue and no hope of a conference or national title just for kicks and so two players wouldn’t bolt for UVA? Then quickly heal up from those injuries sustained in those useless games and play the schedule that will lead to a conference and national championship? And the idea the pandemic will get worse in time instead of better as vaccines are introduced and people recover makes even less sense.
09-28-2020 05:57 PM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

(09-28-2020 05:57 PM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  
(09-28-2020 05:23 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  If Alger had some gonads he would have played 4-6 non conference games in the Fall that Bourne had lined up, then plan To play 8 CAA conference games in the Spring if that season comes to fruition. For all we know, the Fall season could be played and then the pandemic gets worse instead of better thereby cancelling winter/Spring sports making a bad decision even worse.

Easy to blame Alger for everything, but what you propose is a waste of money and makes little sense. They tried to get a fall schedule going but it didn’t work. They should just schedule like Campbell, go on the road to FBS schools and play with no fans, no revenue and no hope of a conference or national title just for kicks and so two players wouldn’t bolt for UVA? Then quickly heal up from those injuries sustained in those useless games and play the schedule that will lead to a conference and national championship? And the idea the pandemic will get worse in time instead of better as vaccines are introduced and people recover makes even less sense.
The Campbell option wasn’t available to JMU. Teams are a lot more open to playing Campbell than JMU some fans just can’t recognize that truth.
09-28-2020 05:59 PM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I understand that, using them as an example. Anybody willing to play us would insist on a home game, no fans, no revenue, and nothing on the line. This team lost a lot from last year, going on the road to an all FBS schedule would do more harm than good.
09-28-2020 06:02 PM
Purple Offline
Heisman

I Root For: JMU
(09-28-2020 06:02 PM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  I understand that, using them as an example. Anybody willing to play us would insist on a home game, no fans, no revenue, and nothing on the line. This team lost a lot from last year, going on the road to an all FBS schedule would do more harm than good.

Not if we beat the crap out of half (or more) of those FBS teams.
09-28-2020 06:10 PM
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

(09-28-2020 06:02 PM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  I understand that, using them as an example. Anybody willing to play us would insist on a home game, no fans, no revenue, and nothing on the line. This team lost a lot from last year, going on the road to an all FBS schedule would do more harm than good.

Bourne has already stated he had 4 to 6 games lined up for a Fall schedule.
3 to 4 OOC including the contracted Big pay game at UNC plus 1 to 2 CAA schools that would play JMU as an OOC game.

Players want to play even if some fans can’t understand why they want to compete when a 2nd tier “national” championship is postponed. I wonder why teams just don’t forfeit all games once they are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

The FCS title cancellation was a very weak reason to pull the plug on the season when almost all of the NCAA programs in JMU’s financial neighborhood are playing football. JMU is the outlier which falls in line with Alger’s penning of the anti COA manifesto before relenting in to pressure months later. He doesn’t want to compete with the best in athletics. You talk to him a few times and you can quickly discover his reticence. He is Absolutely not the guy if you are looking for JMU to move up with its peers in Football and Basketball. Think small, be small.
09-28-2020 11:00 PM
Advertisement

Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

With no fans in the stands those big payday OOC games weren’t coming. The only reason those teams schedule those games is a warmup for conference games and a way to please the crowd with an expected W. Not an easy W and no crowd means no money. And the CAA games, whose playing again? And what FCS school should we emulate right now as far as how they’re handling the scheduling? Again, the season is in the spring, to play useless games now, the meaningful games in the spring and then play next fall again would have been too much.
09-29-2020 05:21 AM
Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
NCAA has a limit of 11 games on teams across the spring and fall. You can't play 6 games in the fall and play 8 games in the spring.
09-29-2020 02:27 PM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-29-2020 05:21 AM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  And what FCS school should we emulate right now as far as how they’re handling the scheduling?

Easy ... NDSU. They would have played an FBS game or two this fall given the opportunity. Instead they cut a deal with the SLC champs. We likely had the chance to do the same or better.
09-29-2020 11:40 PM
fishingduke12 Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU
(09-29-2020 11:40 PM)JMURocks Wrote:  
(09-29-2020 05:21 AM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  And what FCS school should we emulate right now as far as how they’re handling the scheduling?

Easy ... NDSU. They would have played an FBS game or two this fall given the opportunity. Instead they cut a deal with the SLC champs. We likely had the chance to do the same or better.

And you know any of this how?
09-30-2020 06:36 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.