Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The NBN Pod
Bookmark and Share
NoBidNation Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: W&M
The NBN Pod
*taps mic* one, two... is this thing on?

The NBN Pod is LIVE! First episode up and streaming on Buzzsprout (and hopefully platforms like Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and Google Podcasts soon).

http://nobidnation.com/2020/09/10/welcom...n-podcast/

We introduce ourselves, then jump into some of the most recent news (2021 recruits, reports on the start date of the 2021 season, W&M cutting sports). Also ask for your take on how cutting sports will affect the basketball programs -- we are a W&M basketball site, after all -- you can contact us at brendan@nobidnation.com or @NoBidNation on Twitter, or either of our personal Twitters.

Let us know what you think, how we did or what you want us to talk about -- we're still new to the podcast thing, but I think this is going to be a successful venture.

Thanks, y'all. We do this as a passion project for ourselves, so having people listen to/read our stuff is just an added bonus.
09-09-2020 08:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NoBidNation Offline
Water Engineer

RE: The NBN Pod
Update: I can confirm that The NBN Pod is live on Spotify.
09-09-2020 09:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
wml33t Offline
1st String

I Root For: William and Mar
The NBN Pod
I will definitely check this out as I’m a fairly frequent podcaster.

For me (and probably overall audience?) it would definitely need to be available in Apple podcasts (well, I use downcast) for me to have it in my regular rotation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
09-09-2020 10:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mrjoolius Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: William & Mary
The NBN Pod
Great 1st podcast guys. Your product comes off as very polished for new broadcasters. It didn't come up on my podcast player feed (I use pocket casts), so I downloaded it directly from the NBN website. I know you guys aren't paid to do this and it is a labor of love, but do you have a plan for podcast frequency? Not to doom your endeavor, but It seems to me that podcasts fail when they don't have a regular schedule. If you are putting out pods on a regular schedule you will have a good shot at retaining a faithful listener base as well as bringing in new listeners. The pod will bring eyes to the blog and the blog will bring ears to the pod.
Some content ideas I've thought about:
- I've really enjoyed your new recruit interviews in the blog, and it might be a nice touch to record these interviews and use them on the podcast as well. So much more is gained hearing the voice over just reading the words. I would enjoy hearing more interviews from the Tribe basketball orbit- more recruit interviews, current players and staff, recent former players. If you want to go real deep dive, you could do a Tribe legends series with interviews of past great Tribe players and coaches. It could feature glory days stories from their time in Williamsburg and where their lives have gone since graduation.
- It might also be fun to reach out to rival CAA team bloggers and get them on to preview their teams and upcoming matchups.
- Offering a Q&A type mailbag where you guys can give your opinions or answers on questions submitted to you through social media or email.

Keep up the good work.
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2020 07:15 AM by mrjoolius.)
09-10-2020 06:39 AM
NoBidNation Offline
Water Engineer

(09-09-2020 10:00 PM)wml33t Wrote:  I will definitely check this out as I’m a fairly frequent podcaster.

For me (and probably overall audience?) it would definitely need to be available in Apple podcasts (well, I use downcast) for me to have it in my regular rotation.

(09-10-2020 06:39 AM)mrjoolius Wrote:  Great 1st podcast guys. Your product comes off as very polished for new broadcasters. It didn't come up on my podcast player feed (I use pocket casts), so I downloaded it directly from the NBN website.

Thanks, y'all!

It's currently in the process of getting up on the big podcast directories (we're up on Spotify, but sometimes it takes a few days for it to show up on Apple Podcasts and other feeds) so we definitely appreciate people taking the extra step of going to our website/Buzzsprout and downloading it. Hopefully that won't have to happen for way too much longer, tho!
09-10-2020 07:33 AM
NoBidNation Offline
Water Engineer

(09-10-2020 06:39 AM)mrjoolius Wrote:  I know you guys aren't paid to do this and it is a labor of love, but do you have a plan for podcast frequency? Not to doom your endeavor, but It seems to me that podcasts fail when they don't have a regular schedule. If you are putting out pods on a regular schedule you will have a good shot at retaining a faithful listener base as well as bringing in new listeners. The pod will bring eyes to the blog and the blog will bring ears to the pod.
- I've really enjoyed your new recruit interviews in the blog, and it might be a nice touch to record these interviews and use them on the podcast as well. So much more is gained hearing the voice over just reading the words. I would enjoy hearing more interviews from the Tribe basketball orbit- more recruit interviews, current players and staff, recent former players. If you want to go real deep dive, you could do a Tribe legends series with interviews of past great Tribe players and coaches. It could feature glory days stories from their time in Williamsburg and where their lives have gone since graduation.
- It might also be fun to reach out to rival CAA team bloggers and get them on to preview their teams and upcoming matchups.
- Offering a Q&A type mailbag where you guys can give your opinions or answers on questions submitted to you through social media or email.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks, MrJ -- really appreciate it!

Currently our plan is to release once a week, probably on Tuesdays or Wednesdays. We might slow down releases over the summer when there's not much going on, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

I love those ideas. We already have a list of people that we want to interview, but we might have to steal the Tribe legends idea -- that's really good. Irt other CAA bloggers, that's definitely on our radar, we've been in contact a little with Tommy from Holy City Hoops and have a couple other connections that should help with that. And Q+A will certainly make an appearance next week.
09-10-2020 07:43 AM
Advertisement

mrjoolius Online
Hall of Famer

The NBN Pod
Another thought I had was for a major episode (perhaps previewing the season, previewing the CAA tourney, or a post season wrap), bring on a Crossover round table of all the various W&M bloggers. We are blessed to have such a rich blogging tradition associated with our basketball and sports programs. Why not tap into that and produce some great content. You already have a relationship with the J&J guys. Bring on the Chadwicks. You could even reach out to the godfathers of Tribe basketball blogging - the couple of guys over at Gheorghe the blog
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2020 08:20 AM by mrjoolius.)
09-10-2020 08:06 AM
wml33t Offline
1st String

I Root For: William and Mar
(09-10-2020 07:43 AM)NoBidNation Wrote:  
(09-10-2020 06:39 AM)mrjoolius Wrote:  I know you guys aren't paid to do this and it is a labor of love, but do you have a plan for podcast frequency? Not to doom your endeavor, but It seems to me that podcasts fail when they don't have a regular schedule. If you are putting out pods on a regular schedule you will have a good shot at retaining a faithful listener base as well as bringing in new listeners. The pod will bring eyes to the blog and the blog will bring ears to the pod.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks, MrJ -- really appreciate it!

Currently our plan is to release once a week, probably on Tuesdays or Wednesdays. We might slow down releases over the summer when there's not much going on, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

I love those ideas. We already have a list of people that we want to interview, but we might have to steal the Tribe legends idea -- that's really good. Irt other CAA bloggers, that's definitely on our radar, we've been in contact a little with Tommy from Holy City Hoops and have a couple other connections that should help with that. And Q+A will certainly make an appearance next week.

I think once a week is totally fine. I listen to a few podcasts that sometimes get into the "business of podcasting" a bit. They strongly emphasize that consistency (not necessarily frequency, although that's a factor) is key. I have several once a week podcasts that I listen to that if they were every 3 weeks here, 1 week there, etc they'd probably fall off of my radar.
09-10-2020 01:50 PM
Zorch Offline
All American

(09-10-2020 06:39 AM)mrjoolius Wrote:  ... If you want to go real deep dive, you could do a Tribe legends series with interviews of past great Tribe players and coaches. It could feature glory days stories .....

Can't help but wonder, for Tribe basketball, when those "glory days" were? (Almost everybody from the true glory days in the forties and fifties are dead). 03-wink
09-10-2020 03:21 PM
mrjoolius Online
Hall of Famer

(09-10-2020 03:21 PM)Zorch Wrote:  
(09-10-2020 06:39 AM)mrjoolius Wrote:  ... If you want to go real deep dive, you could do a Tribe legends series with interviews of past great Tribe players and coaches. It could feature glory days stories .....

Can't help but wonder, for Tribe basketball, when those "glory days" were? (Almost everybody from the true glory days in the forties and fifties are dead). 03-wink
I meant it more in terms of glory days= "when we were young" talk from alums that fellow alums could relate to. Not necessarily wins and losses
I played during the Swenson era. There certainly wasn't much winning going on, but there are always good stories that accompany team sports- many that should never be repeated.
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2020 03:32 PM by mrjoolius.)
09-10-2020 03:29 PM
Zorch Offline
All American

03-wink
(09-10-2020 03:29 PM)mrjoolius Wrote:  
(09-10-2020 03:21 PM)Zorch Wrote:  

I meant it more in terms of glory days= "when we were young" talk from alums that fellow alums could relate to. Not necessarily wins and losses

Yes, I knew that. That is why I winked. 03-wink
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2020 03:31 PM by Zorch.)
09-10-2020 03:30 PM
Advertisement

mrjoolius Online
Hall of Famer

The NBN Pod
The NBN podcast now shows up on my podcast player,FYI
09-12-2020 08:46 AM
NoBidNation Offline
Water Engineer

(09-12-2020 08:46 AM)mrjoolius Wrote:  The NBN podcast now shows up on my podcast player,FYI

Sweet.

Yeah, we should be up on just about every platform by now
09-14-2020 09:24 AM
NoBidNation Offline
Water Engineer

Recording the pod tonight. Any questions for Q&A or feedback for our question of the week -- what the trickle-down effect of the Tribe cutting 7 sports will be on the basketball programs?
09-14-2020 09:26 AM
mrjoolius Online
Hall of Famer

The NBN Pod
I spy episode 2 on my podcast player
09-16-2020 04:46 PM
NoBidNation Offline
Water Engineer

(09-16-2020 04:46 PM)mrjoolius Wrote:  I spy episode 2 on my podcast player

Yes indeed -- episode 2 is up and running! Wherever you find your pods. A 346-team NCAA tourney, starting up basketball season, analyzing the men's CAA quarterfinal loss to Elon retroactively, and coming up with all-decade teams.
09-16-2020 04:55 PM
Advertisement

tribeinexile Online
1st String

I really enjoyed the second podcast, particularly the analysis of the Elon game. FWIW, I thought that game was lost in the first few minutes. We came out with what I thought was a lack of intensity. I attributed it to a lack of experience on Fischer’s part.

One suggestion for future podcasts is to interview “outsiders” with some exposure to W&M. Journalists like David Teel and John O’ Connor come to mind. Another possibility would be interviewing folks from our MBB past such as Bruce Parkhill, Tom Schalk, Daniel Dixon.
09-18-2020 08:51 AM
ScottyB757 Offline
Special Teams

I seem to remember John Feinstein has (or had?) a child attending W&M...he might be willing to join you for an episode.
09-18-2020 10:28 AM
Tribal Offline

(09-18-2020 10:28 AM)ScottyB757 Wrote:  I seem to remember John Feinstein has (or had?) a child attending W&M...he might be willing to join you for an episode.
I believe Matthew Feinstein (golf) is his nephew.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
09-18-2020 11:29 AM
NoBidNation Offline
Water Engineer

(09-18-2020 08:51 AM)tribeinexile Wrote:  I really enjoyed the second podcast, particularly the analysis of the Elon game. FWIW, I thought that game was lost in the first few minutes. We came out with what I thought was a lack of intensity. I attributed it to a lack of experience on Fischer’s part.

One suggestion for future podcasts is to interview “outsiders” with some exposure to W&M. Journalists like David Teel and John O’ Connor come to mind. Another possibility would be interviewing folks from our MBB past such as Bruce Parkhill, Tom Schalk, Daniel Dixon.

Thanks, really appreciate the listen. All good ideas.

Recording our ep for this week tonight.
09-21-2020 06:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.