Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SBC will ban required athletic events on election day
Bookmark and Share
GoBigRed26 Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte
RE: SBC will ban required athletic events on election day
(08-30-2020 05:03 PM)eaglewraith Wrote:  Always interesting to see people opposed to making it easier to exercise our right to vote.

Well I think there should be a little effort put forth to do it. Weed out the people that don’t care enough or don’t know enough. Not everyone needs to vote. Those videos where it shows people being interviewed at Santa Monica Pier or Hollywood Blvd and they can’t answer who the VP is, or when the Revolutionary War was, or who we fought; THEY SHOULD NOT BE VOTING.
08-30-2020 05:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
warhawk09 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bob
(08-30-2020 11:42 AM)TheOriginalBigApp Wrote:  
(08-30-2020 10:28 AM)warhawk09 Wrote:  
(08-29-2020 04:37 PM)TheOriginalBigApp Wrote:  
(08-28-2020 07:30 PM)warhawk09 Wrote:  Should be a national holiday.

Agreed. Early voting starts about 4 weeks out. Should have a national holiday for each of those too 01-wingedeagle

If you can’t grasp the difference between the two, I’m sorry but I can’t help you with that.

i grasp it firmly. Riddle me this: if I participate in early voting, do I still get the national holiday day off on Election day?

Do we also get national holidays for federal election primaries? What about state and local elections & ballot issues? Should we have state holiday's for state elections?

I believe that we can afford to have a national holiday once every four years for something as important as a presidential election ... we have it for far less important things.
08-30-2020 06:21 PM
warhawk09 Offline
1st String

(08-30-2020 01:46 PM)GoBigRed26 Wrote:  I’m all for allowing people the opportunity to vote, but I think it’s silly to ban any kind of workouts or practices on election days. Our football team 5 players on our roster that are from 60 miles or less of Jonesboro. 2 on M basketball. 1 on W basketball. I think those that do want to go vote should be excused from workouts, but I don’t see college students driving 2+ hours to go vote. I also think it’s silly to make it a national Holliday. Businesses should allow employees to come in late, leave early, or have a longer lunch to vote, but this is literally something I do on my way home from work, even with kids in tow. If someone is not able to put the effort into making arrangements to vote in person on Election Day, early vote, or absentee vote, I doubt they have put the efforts into looking into the candidates and issues that are being voted upon. I’d rather not shut down businesses and the economy for a day for a hollow attempt at being virtuous, that accomplishing nothing.

You realize that they can register to vote in Jonesboro after meeting pretty minimal requirements, right? We're freaking out over shutting down the day once every four years for this, but have no problem for all the other bank holidays out there.
08-30-2020 06:23 PM
warhawk09 Offline
1st String

(08-30-2020 05:59 PM)GoBigRed26 Wrote:  
(08-30-2020 05:03 PM)eaglewraith Wrote:  Always interesting to see people opposed to making it easier to exercise our right to vote.

Well I think there should be a little effort put forth to do it. Weed out the people that don’t care enough or don’t know enough. Not everyone needs to vote. Those videos where it shows people being interviewed at Santa Monica Pier or Hollywood Blvd and they can’t answer who the VP is, or when the Revolutionary War was, or who we fought; THEY SHOULD NOT BE VOTING.

More effort to vote? Should be the opposite, we should be making it as easy as possible to vote.
08-30-2020 06:24 PM
WolfBird Offline
All American

I Root For:
(08-30-2020 06:24 PM)warhawk09 Wrote:  

More effort to vote? Should be the opposite, we should be making it as easy as possible to vote.

Except it’s already easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
08-30-2020 06:50 PM
GoBigRed26 Offline
1st String

(08-30-2020 06:23 PM)warhawk09 Wrote:  
(08-30-2020 01:46 PM)GoBigRed26 Wrote:  I’m all for allowing people the opportunity to vote, but I think it’s silly to ban any kind of workouts or practices on election days. Our football team 5 players on our roster that are from 60 miles or less of Jonesboro. 2 on M basketball. 1 on W basketball. I think those that do want to go vote should be excused from workouts, but I don’t see college students driving 2+ hours to go vote. I also think it’s silly to make it a national Holliday. Businesses should allow employees to come in late, leave early, or have a longer lunch to vote, but this is literally something I do on my way home from work, even with kids in tow. If someone is not able to put the effort into making arrangements to vote in person on Election Day, early vote, or absentee vote, I doubt they have put the efforts into looking into the candidates and issues that are being voted upon. I’d rather not shut down businesses and the economy for a day for a hollow attempt at being virtuous, that accomplishing nothing.

You realize that they can register to vote in Jonesboro after meeting pretty minimal requirements, right? We're freaking out over shutting down the day once every four years for this, but have no problem for all the other bank holidays out there.

Not necessarily. It varies state to state, not sure the status is in Arkansas, but many states will not give students residence, especially if they are not working, and living in dorms. They are not considered permanent residents, so aren’t allowed to vote there.
08-30-2020 07:00 PM
Arrowhead Offline
Beltbbs ULM INsider

I Root For: ULM
Then absentee. Pretty simple.
08-30-2020 07:47 PM
WolfBird Offline
All American

I Root For:
(08-30-2020 07:47 PM)Arrowhead Wrote:  Then absentee. Pretty simple.

I thought I already covered that.

08-30-2020 07:47 PM
eaglewraith Online
Heisman

I Root For: GA Southern
(08-30-2020 06:50 PM)WolfBird Wrote:  

When there are areas of our state that are disproportionately served by polling locations, then no....it is NOT already easy to vote. During the last primary, people were standing in line for multiple hours to vote.

Even voting early I've had to stand in line for an hour plus. The value of my time (since I know what my hours are billed at) means that it's actually pretty expensive for me to go vote as well.

Voting should be easier for everyone than the amount of effort I put into paying bills every month, and that's pretty damn easy.
08-30-2020 07:50 PM
WolfBird Offline
All American

I Root For:
(08-30-2020 07:50 PM)eaglewraith Wrote:  
(08-30-2020 06:50 PM)WolfBird Wrote:  

When there are areas of our state that are disproportionately served by polling locations, then no....it is NOT already easy to vote. During the last primary, people were standing in line for multiple hours to vote.

Even voting early I've had to stand in line for an hour plus. The value of my time (since I know what my hours are billed at) means that it's actually pretty expensive for me to go vote as well.

Voting should be easier for everyone than the amount of effort I put into paying bills every month, and that's pretty damn easy.

Then you need to fix your ****** state. Because in my state it’s been extremely easy to vote for the last 18 years I’ve been doing it.

Of course it was easy in NC in 2012 too.

08-30-2020 07:51 PM
warhawk09 Offline
1st String

08-30-2020 08:11 PM
WolfBird Offline
All American

I Root For:
I’ve never once had an issue voting in 18 years of doing it. Maybe it’s one of those things that the only people who struggle with it are the ones who struggle with everything.

You guys have a hard time renewing your car tags every year too? That DMV trip can be tricky. How about that airline security fiasco? Almost enough to make you want to abandon flying for sure.

08-30-2020 08:15 PM
GoBigRed26 Offline
1st String

(08-30-2020 08:15 PM)WolfBird Wrote:  I’ve never once had an issue voting in 18 years of doing it. Maybe it’s one of those things that the only people who struggle with it are the ones who struggle with everything.

You guys have a hard time renewing your car tags every year too? That DMV trip can be tricky. How about that airline security fiasco? Almost enough to make you want to abandon flying for sure.

Yeah, never had any issues in Jonesboro, Iowa, Benton, or Little Rock. Here in LR, there is absolutely no wait at all. Waited 15-20 min in Benton. First time voting, forgot my wallet in my room on campus, so drove back across town to get it. When I was in Memphis, I didn’t establish residency, so just did absentee. First election after I moved to Central Arkansas, hadn’t switched over, so I drove back to Jonesboro to vote. I was working in Memphis the next day. It is completely ridiculous for those that have to wait in line over an hour. I’d be early voting or absentee for sure from then on out.
08-30-2020 08:35 PM
Birdseye Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Ga southern
Don’t know about your states, but in Georgia, you can vote early for a couple of weeks in advance of an election, including Saturday. Is this about pushing a political narrative instead? Just asking.
08-30-2020 10:05 PM
Pounce FTW Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU - MU - AU

I wonder if anyone's considered something like, say, a literacy test. Then we could easily keep out the people we place below our bar of constitutional rights.
08-30-2020 10:58 PM
CoastalAlum2011 Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal

The easier it is the vote, the more idiots that vote. The more idiots that vote, the worse our politicians get.

There should be both an IQ test and a knowledge test of basic issues in order to vote.

Also, the more you pay in federal income tax, the more your vote should count. The highest tax payers should have their votes weighted more heavily. It would keep the free loaders and super rich who use loopholes to pay basically no taxes from stealing from the hard working middle class.

Imagine a world where us middle class people actually had the power to decide elections...not the lazy or super rich who don’t pay taxes anyway...
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2020 05:22 AM by CoastalAlum2011.)
08-31-2020 05:08 AM
CoastalAlum2011 Offline
All American

(08-30-2020 10:58 PM)Pounce FTW Wrote:  

I wonder if anyone's considered something like, say, a literacy test. Then we could easily keep out the people we place below our bar of constitutional rights.

Nice try. The allusion you’re making is back to a time when all Americans did not have access to a robust public education system, which we all now have.

Different time, different circumstances, different argument.
08-31-2020 05:11 AM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
(08-29-2020 08:24 AM)WolfBird Wrote:  
(08-29-2020 03:19 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  
(08-28-2020 04:35 PM)WolfBird Wrote:  Thank goodness. I was afraid they wouldn’t be able to vote early, on their lunch breaks, or absentee like a normal human who goes to work every Election Day.

The beauty of being a spoiled athlete knows no limits.

Maybe college athletics ain’t your thing if that miffes you. Normally they are fully scheduled from 6am to 7pm so they’ve got 30 minutes allocated for supper to go vote before reporting to study hall which coincides with the 30 minutes left before polls close in Arkansas. Polls close 30 minutes earlier in A
Alabama, Georgia and Texas.

Supposedly employers in Arkansas are supposed to allow an extra 30 minute break to vote but college football players aren’t employees and counting class time typically book 11 to 13 hours of the player’s day vs the 8:30 for people with jobs.

Beyond all that the NCAA mandates players be given one day off big hairy deal to move that day to Thursday one week every two years. So spoiled and entitled to get a day off 03-yawn

Don’t you think parents with kids are booked from 6 AM to 7 PM too?

For example. Yesterday I was up at 6. In the car line by 7. Home by 7:45. Got ready for work. At work at 8:30. Left work at 12:15 for a haircut. Back to work at 12:50. Left work at 5:00. Picked up kid at 5:20. Home by 5:45. Wife needed me to take her to meet someone on an errand. Left at 5:50. Got back home at 6:30.

That sounds oddly similar to a college football players day, except I did mine while driving 35 miles or so in between as well.

The only reason it’s an issue this year is the same reason basketball quit for two days. There is this level of self importance they have given themselves that is not matched by the outside world.

Normal people just work it in to their day. But college athletes need 8 hours free to make sure they get to the polls. Lol ok.

You sound like the person that would have been annoyed that unions helped create 40 hour work weeks and weekends off.

Voting day should be a national holiday. Props to the SBC and other companies for spearheading this change and hopefully it leads to a change for all.
08-31-2020 07:15 AM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
(08-31-2020 05:08 AM)CoastalAlum2011 Wrote:  

The easier it is the vote, the more idiots that vote. The more idiots that vote, the worse our politicians get.

There should be both an IQ test and a knowledge test of basic issues in order to vote.

Also, the more you pay in federal income tax, the more your vote should count. The highest tax payers should have their votes weighted more heavily. It would keep the free loaders and super rich who use loopholes to pay basically no taxes from stealing from the hard working middle class.

Imagine a world where us middle class people actually had the power to decide elections...not the lazy or super rich who don’t pay taxes anyway...

This is the worst idea ever. You sure hate the Constitution. Do you think there should be tests to own a gun? Tests to have free speech? One's income or intelligence shouldn't matter.
08-31-2020 07:18 AM
CoastalAlum2011 Offline
All American

(08-31-2020 07:18 AM)slycat Wrote:  
(08-31-2020 05:08 AM)CoastalAlum2011 Wrote:  

This is the worst idea ever. You sure hate the Constitution. Do you think there should be tests to own a gun? Tests to have free speech? One's income or intelligence shouldn't matter.

I didn’t say income. I said amount you pay in tax. Super rich people often pay little to no tax for multiple reasons. Their votes shouldn’t count as much as a middle class person’s either. So don’t misconstrue the argument I’m making.

As to your question about guns...yes, I think if your IQ is at a level where you are considered mentally deficient, you should be disallowed from buying a gun.
08-31-2020 07:23 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.