Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Recruiting difficulties
Bookmark and Share
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
Recruiting difficulties
(from ESPN)

Despite the lack of in-person evaluations, events have continued to happen around the country, with games livestreamed. But are coaches watching?

I polled around 20 college coaches from the low-, mid- and high-major levels to get a gauge on how much they have been watching the livestreams. The answers ranged from "none" to "four minutes" to "10 games per tourney" to "all."

There was a split down the middle among those polled -- half the coaches admitted to watching at least a decent amount of livestreams, and the other half watched only a handful of games at most.

+++++++++

These are just my thoughts, which may or may not be valid. I suspect that a lot of the recruiting trips (to events) that coaches made were only partly about recruiting and partly about expense-paid vacations and chances to chew the fat with their buddies in the trade. In other words, they were not all, or even mostly, absolutely necessary to the recruiting process. Since coaches start watching these kids when they are high school freshmen these days, missing one season of trips is not going to totally destroy their process.

Of course, they will not have as many opportunities to schmooze the recruits now, but that could turn out to be a blessing in disguise. I doubt many of the coaches really enjoy that part of it, anyway. And with less of the wining and dining, if the kid still wants to come to your school, it is more likely that he really did want to to start with.

John Wooden claimed that he hardly ever made trips to see recruits. He relied almost entirely on detailed evaluations from people whose opinions he trusted who knew the players well. That might sound fishy, but it makes sense if you think about it. If Jim Calhoun asks Jim Boeheim, "Is this a kid that can help my program?" and Boeheim says, "Absolutely! Grab him quick," that is a fairly safe recommendation.

Plus, with all the electronics we have today, there really is no more reason for recruiting trips to assess the recruits than there is for office workers to come into their offices.
08-20-2020 08:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

RE: Recruiting difficulties
And maybe this year success will be less about salesmanship, and more about actual coaching. Wouldn't that be a shame!
08-20-2020 08:16 AM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
(08-20-2020 08:14 AM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  (from ESPN)

Despite the lack of in-person evaluations, events have continued to happen around the country, with games livestreamed. But are coaches watching?

I polled around 20 college coaches from the low-, mid- and high-major levels to get a gauge on how much they have been watching the livestreams. The answers ranged from "none" to "four minutes" to "10 games per tourney" to "all."

There was a split down the middle among those polled -- half the coaches admitted to watching at least a decent amount of livestreams, and the other half watched only a handful of games at most.

+++++++++

These are just my thoughts, which may or may not be valid. I suspect that a lot of the recruiting trips (to events) that coaches made were only partly about recruiting and partly about expense-paid vacations and chances to chew the fat with their buddies in the trade. In other words, they were not all, or even mostly, absolutely necessary to the recruiting process. Since coaches start watching these kids when they are high school freshmen these days, missing one season of trips is not going to totally destroy their process.

Of course, they will not have as many opportunities to schmooze the recruits now, but that could turn out to be a blessing in disguise. I doubt many of the coaches really enjoy that part of it, anyway. And with less of the wining and dining, if the kid still wants to come to your school, it is more likely that he really did want to to start with.

John Wooden claimed that he hardly ever made trips to see recruits. He relied almost entirely on detailed evaluations from people whose opinions he trusted who knew the players well. That might sound fishy, but it makes sense if you think about it. If Jim Calhoun asks Jim Boeheim, "Is this a kid that can help my program?" and Boeheim says, "Absolutely! Grab him quick," that is a fairly safe recommendation.

Plus, with all the electronics we have today, there really is no more reason for recruiting trips to assess the recruits than there is for office workers to come into their offices.

Thing is, Wooden was signing the "best of the best" who every expert agreed was going to be a very good to great player. I wouldn't have had any hesitation signing Kareem or Bill Walton without seeing them play in person.
08-20-2020 10:19 AM
Advertisement

MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

But he still had to fill out the roster.
08-20-2020 10:24 AM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
(08-20-2020 10:24 AM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  But he still had to fill out the roster.

Some of his "fill-ins" weren't half bad either. Swen Nater never started a game at UCLA (he average 3 points a game as a senior), but was the ABA rookie of the year. He proceeded to play about a dozen years in the ABA and then NBA.
08-20-2020 10:30 AM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

And to our case, the four and five-star players everybody knows today, so the power conference coaches really don't have to do much looking. Guys at our level and below have to dig a lot deeper. Our coaches would know the one-and-dones, but would have little chance to sign them.
08-20-2020 10:40 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.