Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is Dixie St destined for the Big Sky?
Bookmark and Share
Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
Is Dixie St destined for the Big Sky?
I have to wonder if it’s inevitable that that Dixie St moves to the Big Sky to balance them out at 14 football schools and 12 for basketball.

With it being rough getting non-conference games out West they could play a 10 game conference schedule in football and a full double round robin in basketball for 22 games.

I think the Big Sky doesn’t want the stigma of taking a D2 call up so they are making them do their transition in the WAC.
08-14-2020 10:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
RE: Is Dixie St destined for the Big Sky?
Most likely.
08-14-2020 11:33 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I Root For: Seattle U
How does adding them for a 12th basketball school really help them?

Big Sky teams already play each other non-conference in football, why do they need another football team?
08-14-2020 12:34 PM
Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
(08-14-2020 12:34 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  How does adding them for a 12th basketball school really help them?

Big Sky teams already play each other non-conference in football, why do they need another football team?

2 less basketball games to try to schedule.
08-14-2020 12:45 PM
Itinerant Texan Offline
Shot Caller

I Root For: On Ye Tarleton!
If the WAC can't/won't revive football, Dixie will bolt for the Big Sky and Tarleton will have to tuck its tail and go slum it in the SLC.
08-14-2020 01:02 PM
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

(08-14-2020 12:45 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  
(08-14-2020 12:34 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  How does adding them for a 12th basketball school really help them?

2 less basketball games to try to schedule.

They played a 20 game conference schedule last year. They’re going to go to 22 conference games?
08-14-2020 01:36 PM
Advertisement

DoubleRSU Offline
All American

(08-14-2020 01:02 PM)Itinerant Texan Wrote:  If the WAC can't/won't revive football, Dixie will bolt for the Big Sky and Tarleton will have to tuck its tail and go slum it in the SLC.

Tarleton would love to tuck its tail and slum it in the SLC. There’s no room for them right now. That’s why they’re in the WAC.
08-14-2020 01:37 PM
Itinerant Texan Offline
Shot Caller

(08-14-2020 01:37 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  
(08-14-2020 01:02 PM)Itinerant Texan Wrote:  If the WAC can't/won't revive football, Dixie will bolt for the Big Sky and Tarleton will have to tuck its tail and go slum it in the SLC.

Tarleton would love to tuck its tail and slum it in the SLC. There’s no room for them right now. That’s why they’re in the WAC.

No, Tarleton wouldn't.
08-14-2020 02:14 PM
TexanFan Online
1st String

I Root For: Tarleton
No, Tarleton wouldn't.

Truth.
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2020 03:16 PM by TexanFan.)
08-14-2020 03:16 PM
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

(08-14-2020 03:16 PM)TexanFan Wrote:  No, Tarleton wouldn't.

Truth.

Why did they study only the WAC and Southland then? Why wasn’t the Summit, OVC, or other conference studied?

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5...y+2018.pdf

You’re trying to tell me your school would rather play Chicago St, Seattle U, California Baptist, and Utah Valley over Stephen F Austin, Lamar, Sam Houston, and Abilene Christian?
08-14-2020 03:44 PM
Itinerant Texan Offline
Shot Caller

(08-14-2020 03:44 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  

Truth.

Why did they study only the WAC and Southland then? Why wasn’t the Summit, OVC, or other conference studied?

You’re trying to tell me your school would rather play Chicago St, Seattle U, California Baptist, and Utah Valley over Stephen F Austin, Lamar, Sam Houston, and Abilene Christian?

Yawn.
08-14-2020 04:00 PM
Advertisement

TexanFan Online
1st String

I Root For: Tarleton

Truth.

Yes as the WAC has a tremendous upside while the Southland is all they will ever be. And who knows what the WAC is thinking, but maybe one, two or three teams you listed comes to the WAC.
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2020 04:04 PM by TexanFan.)
08-14-2020 04:02 PM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
(08-14-2020 04:00 PM)Itinerant Texan Wrote:  

Truth.

Yawn.

You're crazy. You're telling me you wouldn't want the potential to have rivals that your fans and students would be more interested in seeing?
08-14-2020 04:11 PM
Itinerant Texan Offline
Shot Caller

(08-14-2020 04:11 PM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  

Truth.

Yawn.

You're crazy. You're telling me you wouldn't want the potential to have rivals that your fans and students would be more interested in seeing?

Been there, done that. ACU will always be a rival, but nothing new. We can and will play SLC teams in OOC anytime The WAC broadens Tarleton's horizons more than the SLC ever could. And I don't think we'll have a hsrd time finding a rival or two in the WAC
08-14-2020 04:28 PM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

(08-14-2020 04:28 PM)Itinerant Texan Wrote:  
(08-14-2020 04:11 PM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  

Truth.

Yawn.

Been there, done that. ACU will always be a rival, but nothing new. We can and will play SLC teams in OOC anytime The WAC broadens Tarleton's horizons more than the SLC ever could. And I don't think we'll have a hsrd time finding a rival or two in the WAC

Unless youre a big time program geographic proximty and familiarity are pretty essential for a rivalry. Its hard for students and fans to get excited when they've never even heard of most WAC schools and don't have friends and family that attend them.
08-14-2020 04:44 PM
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

(08-14-2020 04:02 PM)TexanFan Wrote:  

Truth.

Yes as the WAC has a tremendous upside while the Southland is all they will ever be. And who knows what the WAC is thinking, but maybe one, two or three teams you listed comes to the WAC.

Look, I’m glad you guys are in the WAC and I agree the WAC could have upside, but to believe that the WAC was choice #1 is not logical.

The SLC said no and TSU wanted to be D1, so they took option B. That’s fine, nothing wrong with that. Why would a football school choose FCS independence over a regional conference?
08-14-2020 05:02 PM
Advertisement

Itinerant Texan Offline
Shot Caller

(08-14-2020 05:02 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  

Truth.

Look, I’m glad you guys are in the WAC and I agree the WAC could have upside, but to believe that the WAC was choice #1 is not logical.

The SLC said no and TSU wanted to be D1, so they took option B. That’s fine, nothing wrong with that. Why would a football school choose FCS independence over a regional conference?

Not true.

And THAT my friend is the $65,000 question. What if the WAC has plans to expand further into Texas? Where else would they get enough schools to build a football conference? I'll wait...
08-14-2020 05:12 PM
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

(08-14-2020 05:12 PM)Itinerant Texan Wrote:  

Truth.

Not true.

And THAT my friend is the $65,000 question. What if the WAC has plans to expand further into Texas? Where else would they get enough schools to build a football conference? I'll wait...

So Tarleton never asked the SLC for membership? Why would they put them in the study then?

Maybe the WAC is building a football conference, who is going to be in it? Dixie St, maybe UT-RGV, who else? Why would SFA, SHSU, ACU, and Lamar leave the SLC for a cobbled together conference with a school in Utah? Why wouldn’t they remain in a more compact league with historical rivals???
08-14-2020 05:30 PM
Itinerant Texan Offline
Shot Caller

(08-14-2020 05:30 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  
(08-14-2020 03:44 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  Why did they study only the WAC and Southland then? Why wasn’t the Summit, OVC, or other conference studied?

Not true.

So Tarleton never asked the SLC for membership? Why would they put them in the study then?

Maybe the WAC is building a football conference, who is going to be in it? Dixie St, maybe UT-RGV, who else? Why would SFA, SHSU, ACU, and Lamar leave the SLC for a cobbled together conference with a school in Utah? Why wouldn’t they remain in a more compact league with historical rivals???

You don't ask, you get asked. No definitive answer why the two sides chose to go separate ways. Tarleton had a backup plan with more upside, the SLC has.......its Louisiana schools.

More D2 moveups from the LSC and some SLC defectors makes tbe most sense.
08-14-2020 05:41 PM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

(08-14-2020 05:41 PM)Itinerant Texan Wrote:  
(08-14-2020 05:30 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  
(08-14-2020 04:02 PM)TexanFan Wrote:  Yes as the WAC has a tremendous upside while the Southland is all they will ever be. And who knows what the WAC is thinking, but maybe one, two or three teams you listed comes to the WAC.

Not true.

You don't ask, you get asked. No definitive answer why the two sides chose to go separate ways. Tarleton had a backup plan with more upside, the SLC has.......its Louisiana schools.

More D2 moveups from the LSC and some SLC defectors makes tbe most sense.

You keep saying SLC schools will defect and you keep dodging the question of why any SLC school would leave for a hodgepodge football WAC. Why would they leave? And why wouldn't you want to be in a conference with access to Louisiana talent?
08-14-2020 06:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.