Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

North Dakota State looking for non conference games
Bookmark and Share
Steve1981 Online
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
RE: North Dakota State looking for non conference games
(08-17-2020 10:42 AM)JMUNation Wrote:  You have to have strong financial support to be successful in FBS. Many of the schools you list don’t have it. Boise St. and App. do. App does so at the expense of the rest of their athletics programs. I know for a fact that Ga. Southern and UMass had major money issues while still FCS. This is one of the reasons their transition to FBS has been filled with losses though GSU did do well the first year in the Sunbelt.

UConn going back to the Big East speaks volumes about their lack of commitment to football. Being the first FBS program to scrap the season does too. While every good G5 program and JMU would fall all over themselves for membership to the AAC, UConn left. At best, UConn and UMass will return to FCS in the very near future. They could easily get rid of football altogether. They will continue to suck for the foreseeable future.

JMUNation, been supporting the Gridiron club since going FBS and say you are dead wrong on all three points about UMass.

First financial support has never been greater these past few years and since going FBS. Well I'm a bit envious of your stadium renovation, we have spent 50 Million on a variety of projects. There was the 36.5 million for the Performance Center for grade A support of the players and includes the Hunt Hospitality Suite and viewing terrace. There is the Press and Skybox. Then there are a few 100% donor paid for projects as the full IPF and the new Video boards, sound system etc. There have been ADA improvements to the stadium, new bathroom facilities and a south end terrace area.

Second is we will never go back to fcs.

Third the reason we have performed poorly and the hole is deep but finances is not the major issue but all the prior head coaches mistakes and previous AD and his scheduling. There was a poor inside promotion of Morris when Don Brown left in 2006. We went from an elite fcs team to mediocre at best as you witnessed before us moving up. Molnar was terrible having duels as a line man against a quarter back that he did not like. The transfers started when we need to go up in scholarships. Then a private donation bought out Molnar's contract and Whipple was hired. He is great on offense, but was lazy with recruiting, did nothing on defensive side and took juco's so our scholarship situation was poor. Some said the coaching staff had favorites and more transfer outs.

Walt Bell knew how bad things were and none else wanted the job. We started the year with high 50 in scholarships and where dressing around 52 scholarship players. Bell took in 25 recruits and is a positive start but we have a long way to go and did loss some to graduation and some transfers. We are so young and inexperience, so will take a few years for some positive results.

Whether you go Indy FBS or stay where you are is your decision, but the numbers should support the move.

These pictures should show some changes since you guys last visited and would never happened if we stayed fcs.

The North end/top shows the a bit of the Performance Center and the tents is the south end terrace. Top left also shows one of the new bathrooms and you get a sense of how large the IPF is compared to the stadium.
[Image: EHpaw4RWkAceFMM?format=jpg&name=900x900]

The front of the Press and Skybox and you can see the hand railings in the aisle.
[Image: UMassUConn-HG-102419-ph01]

IPF
[Image: bubble.jpg]

Yes nothing like JMU but should disprove the lack of financial support at UMass.
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2020 07:24 PM by Steve1981.)
08-23-2020 06:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dukeman2 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: James Madison
Thank you Steve1981; your comments are exactly what i have heard from those connected to UMASS.

JMU Nation is sadly just echoing what the JMU administration tells him to say, it is an insular culture, not grounded in fact, extremely political, a case study in failure.
08-23-2020 07:14 PM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jmu
If you had to bet whether Umass would be relevant and successful in FBS within the next 10 years would you? I wouldn’t. Too much isn’t in their favor- location, independent status, no history of success- too much has to go right - their ceiling is .500% and a bad bowl game.
08-23-2020 07:19 PM
Steve1981 Online
Heisman

(08-23-2020 07:19 PM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  If you had to bet whether Umass would be relevant and successful in FBS within the next 10 years would you? I wouldn’t. Too much isn’t in their favor- location, independent status, no history of success- too much has to go right - their ceiling is .500% and a bad bowl game.

The independence thing, think in the next half dozen years there will be some conference changes. Covid-19 has put a strain on some teams in the MAC, according to the MAC forum. Think we'll be ok but will have to take a 5+M haircut in the AD budget from 40M to below 35M. Around 4.5-5M has already been cut with pay reductions, early retirement and a bunch of other things that don't remember. People give to all sports, specific sports or a combination as myself during the year. There was an additional fund raiser lead by one of your own, which will help with any budget short falls and note all sports donations are not shown. (Over 660k as the early result number.) We are still in the CAA for men's lacrosse and their donations and numbers are impressive.
https://minutefund.umass.edu/g/athletics

As far as everything going right, you are correct in the next 3 years, everything will have to go right for us to make it to the 85 FBS scholarship limit for the first time.
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2020 07:59 PM by Steve1981.)
08-23-2020 07:44 PM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

But you’ve been in the Mac before- how is that feasible on either side after that bridge was burned and I just don’t see AAC being viable. Outsiders view here but Umass I think got themselves into trouble thinking they were still a basketball power when they haven’t been relevant in decades and are nowhere close to the program that John Calipari led. That colored their conference decisions - clinging to A-10 hoops when they have been a non factor in the A-10 for some time. They should have embraced the Mac and their football and basketball programs would Have been better off for it- who knows maybe JMU and Delaware would have joined in an eastern conference with Buffalo but instead (again outsiders view) they turned their nose up at the Mac for all sports clinging to their past glory in the A-10 and they have setup both programs to fail as a result of this tug of war. They don’t seem to have an identity or be on the same page to me. In a way you could argue Marshall Made a mistake leaving the Mac as well but at least they have maintained relevance in both sports - Umass hasn’t.
08-23-2020 08:02 PM
Dukeman2 Offline
Special Teams

So UMASS has a $40m athletic budget and sponsors men's lacrosse, men's hockey, men's swimming, men's cross country and track, and FBS football.

And JMU spends $55m for what?

(This post was last modified: 08-23-2020 08:38 PM by Dukeman2.)
08-23-2020 08:37 PM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

(08-23-2020 08:37 PM)Dukeman2 Wrote:  So UMASS has a $40m athletic budget and sponsors men's lacrosse, men's hockey, men's swimming, men's cross country and track, and FBS football.

What are the male/female ratios for Umass relative to JMU. JMU gets one of the best Non Power 5 athletics programs in the country- the Learfield Cup standings are proof of that year after year. Umass gets a good men’s hockey team?
08-23-2020 09:09 PM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

(08-23-2020 09:09 PM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  
(08-23-2020 08:37 PM)Dukeman2 Wrote:  So UMASS has a $40m athletic budget and sponsors men's lacrosse, men's hockey, men's swimming, men's cross country and track, and FBS football.

What are the male/female ratios for Umass relative to JMU. JMU gets one of the best Non Power 5 athletics programs in the country- the Learfield Cup standings are proof of that year after year. Umass gets a good men’s hockey team?

I’ll answer the first one for you Dukeman2. Umass is 50/50 JMU is closer to 40/60. I love it when people don’t appreciate context when making an argument or point- each Institution and situation is different.
08-23-2020 09:11 PM
Deez Nuts Online
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
Dukeman: engaging in conversations about any other school but James Madison since 2013
08-23-2020 10:09 PM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

And the schools he picks to compare JMU against are absolute punchlines as far as college football- regularly in contention for bottom 10 of all FBS.
08-23-2020 10:23 PM
JMUNation Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU
Steve:

Thanks for your donor insight into UMass. There was an SI article some years ago addressing financial issues at UMass not just for sports but for the university as a whole. The article said they were losing a lot of students to UConn and coaches were being called off the recruiting trail. Same thing was happening at Buffalo. How are UMass finances today? Is enrollment growing?

Where do you see UMass going with athletics conference affiliation? As 97 said, there has been a greater commitment to keeping basketball in the A10 than finding a home for football. One could conclude that basketball has been emphasized at the expense of football. Why not the MAC for all sports? What is the attraction of FBS independence? The A10 lost three good basketball programs in Temple, Xavier and Butler. Is UMass still devoted to the A10 now?
08-23-2020 11:28 PM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

Imo sometimes being in a league like the A10 is a curse for a program like Umass- most years it’s a multi-bid league but programs like Dayton and VCU are at a different level than Umass so they usurp the bids and it’s tough to get past those schools for the auto bid. Imo schools like Umass who haven’t competed at the top of the conference would be better off shaking things up and going to a lesser league and just trying for the auto bid- they would probably have made the Ncaas in hoops as a member of the Mac a few times by now instead they are running in place - it’s not quite as bad as Fordham but it’s the same premise - Fordham would be much better off in the Patriot or MAAC competing on a lesser level and trying for the auto bid each year.

Heck JMU has been in a single bid league for the most part the last 20 + years and I’m at the point where I wouldn’t mind the shake up conference wise just to see if a change would get us to the top of a new conference in hoops. It’s hard to ignore that most of the Caa top tier teams when it was multibid (Vcu, Mason, ODU and even Drexel) didn’t play football and in a lesser one bid Caa the top tier and auto bid has gone to basketball only schools like Hofstra Northeastern COC And UNCW when they were good. So maybe there is a reason why.

But in JMUs case football is the clear #1 with hoops on the rebound with a new arena and coach so you’d even take a shot in a higher level hoops conference because we would still be attractive to the conference because JMU is a known entity in football (fan support, on field success, on campus facilities etc) and would compete at the top of a conference in football.
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2020 05:59 AM by NJDuke97.)
08-24-2020 05:54 AM
fishingduke12 Online
All American

https://twitter.com/BrianMacWriter/statu...9895764993

Seems odd to just play 1 game this fall but would be interesting to see what happens
08-24-2020 10:37 AM
Anders Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU, Boston Col
Seeing some buzz about Central Arkansas vs NDSU being announced soon. Also have seen some teasers saying there may be more games for NDSU as well.
08-24-2020 10:38 AM
Steve1981 Online
Heisman

(08-23-2020 11:28 PM)JMUNation Wrote:  Steve:

Thanks for your donor insight into UMass. There was an SI article some years ago addressing financial issues at UMass not just for sports but for the university as a whole. The article said they were losing a lot of students to UConn and coaches were being called off the recruiting trail. Same thing was happening at Buffalo. How are UMass finances today? Is enrollment growing?

Where do you see UMass going with athletics conference affiliation? As 97 said, there has been a greater commitment to keeping basketball in the A10 than finding a home for football. One could conclude that basketball has been emphasized at the expense of football. Why not the MAC for all sports? What is the attraction of FBS independence? The A10 lost three good basketball programs in Temple, Xavier and Butler. Is UMass still devoted to the A10 now?

Don't take everything on the internet at face value. UMass and UConn were tied at being a Top 20 research institution. Yes the enrollment is growing as UMass offers tremendous value as being highly rated nationally in many programs. Think this freshmen class was the largest.

No bridges were burned with the MAC. It is true some believe basketball should rule the roost. To be fair the A10 has the best travel for non-Olympic sports, say almost half are bus able. Think there will be movement in 5 years but where it goes is anybodies guess.

My pie in the sky dream is a league decides there is some benefit in taking in Independence Pod. Three independents all within 100 miles and a tight grouping: Army, UConn, and UMass. Army and UConn are not interest but say they agree to play 4 games in league for bowl tie-in for UConn and can only think of scheduling ease for Army. Then UMass goes Football only with both a Championship game and bolw tie-ins. Know it's a far out dream.

OR say other teams go indy as ODU and JMU. Soon there would be enough to have a football only conference. All way out dreams.

My guess is it will be something unexpected.
08-24-2020 10:58 AM
Dukester Offline

(08-24-2020 10:37 AM)fishingduke12 Wrote:  https://twitter.com/BrianMacWriter/statu...9895764993

Seems odd to just play 1 game this fall but would be interesting to see what happens

It would provide a lot of practice for the teams.
08-24-2020 12:46 PM
IBleedYellow Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: NDSU
(08-24-2020 12:46 PM)Dukester Wrote:  
(08-24-2020 10:37 AM)fishingduke12 Wrote:  https://twitter.com/BrianMacWriter/statu...9895764993

Pretty sure that's one of the main reasons. Allows the team to practice 20 hours a week instead of 12.

Also one game for Trey to show his stuff.
08-24-2020 02:20 PM
bobbyjmu Online
Special Teams

Might be LAST Game for Trey to show his stuff, NFL is calling.
08-24-2020 02:25 PM
Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

(08-24-2020 12:46 PM)Dukester Wrote:  

But if they play these games, they cannot play in spring correct?

Is it worth sacrificing a chance at a spring season and playoffs to play 3 or 4 random OOC games this fall that are basically just exhibitons? I don’t think so
08-24-2020 02:32 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

Yes
08-24-2020 02:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.