ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Never understood
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
RE: Never understood
From my perspective, Runte was awesome. But I know some people on the inside, and in Richmond, didnt like her much. I suspect it had to do with her wanting to see ODU rise in national prominence and "not knowing her place". She had higher aspirations for the school than the snooty folks in Richmond wanted ODU to attain. She then tried to play by the same shady rules every other school does and got burned by it when she collaborated with that politician from the peninsula to get more funding and trading him a job for it. That woman surely did wonders for school pride, campus life and infrastructure. I think she actually believed ODU could become an eastern VT of sorts. I sort of look at it like this: Koch got ODUs academics respectable, Runte got ODUs campus and student body respectable while maintaining the work Koch did, and Broderick focused on infrastructure and diversity while repairing some of the relationships in Richmond Runte apparently soured. What ODU severely needs is some actual signature undergraduate programs that rank at a national level. A couple of highly ranked national programs to tout would raise "all the boats". Im thinking Education, Oceanography, engineering, physical therapy or business would be great places to invest in and make some noise.
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2020 01:38 PM by monarx.)
08-12-2020 01:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jaybird44 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: old dominion,va
(08-12-2020 01:14 PM)BigBlueMonarch Wrote:  
(08-11-2020 09:57 PM)ziggy1 Wrote:  
(08-11-2020 07:54 PM)RoanokeMonarch Wrote:  
(08-11-2020 03:14 PM)bluelotmayor Wrote:  
(08-11-2020 12:37 PM)Nukesquad Wrote:  Although I have profound respect for what President Broderick has done and continues to do for ODU, as in taking us to FBS, etc., I find myself agreeing more with the sentiments you eloquently expressed. I also was one in a group of three alumni guests invited to dinner with President Runte in DC when she visited with Vice President(?) Brandon/Alonzo to gauge our interest for ODU Football. There's no question in my mind she was really good for ODU and wish she could have stayed longer.

I agree with that I hope ODU's next president will sell the school hard, and don't have preconceived "limitations" on where ODU could go. However, Broderick took ODU upwards from where Runte had it. She fit your definition exactly with "not think as highly of ODU place in the world" and operating as "small time." Broderick was instrumental in ODU's bringing back football; he basically pushed it though, when Jarrett was hesitant.

As for ESPN Radio, that station cares mainly about NFL/Tech/UVA. I know media relations have talked to them (spanning decades) until they're blue in the face and nothing has changed.. That has not changed since Jarrett was the AD & Koch/Runte were president.

I just want to point out that the Board of Visitors voted to bring back football in 2005 and Wilder was hired in 2007, under Runte. While Broderick has been a proponent of football, she did get the ball rolling, however reluctantly you feel it was.

Nuke, I 100% disagree with you. I remember President Runte as a huge ODU supporter and very vocal leader. I always thought she had great vision and ‘skies the limit’ mentality. She certainly worked the state general assembly in trying to get better funding for ODU.
I certainly remember her attending all men’s bb games, always engaging with the students and crowd. During her time, the student body was very engaged. We had an awesome home court atmosphere. And, as just mentioned, she was instrumental in starting football. She recognized the national attention football would bring to the university.
I remember her coming to Roanoke soon after becoming President and meeting with local alumni. She was very personable and engaging.
I believe we took a step back when Broderick become President. But just my two cents....
04-cheers

I agree with this. While Johnny B is a good president, he is not great, and I feel like the board settled on him as the best of bad choices. I think he has exceeded my expectations, but if Runte had stayed/been allowed to stay (What ever the situation was) I think ODU would have been in a much better place. Her focus was on making ODU a national academic player and I realize rankings aren't everything, but they were moving up when she was here and they have gone down since she left.

Dr runte was an awesome leader and she was the one who made odu go. She always took time out for me and my family. She tried to make odu keep up with the times and there was nothing she would not do to give odu the best. She left to go back to canada and I believe she is a CEO for a major company there. She agreed with most of us to try and think like a big time university and boy did she deliver some outstanding leadership and very generous donations by alumni and local businesses. We can do that here. We are the big boys in town and we should act like it.
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2020 03:03 PM by jaybird44.)
08-12-2020 03:01 PM
VB Monarch Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
Never forget watching her walking up and down the aisles at the ted, glad handing. She was a superior, tireless leader who could schmooz with the best. We could only hope to find another like her after Broderick retires.
08-12-2020 03:27 PM
Nukesquad Offline
1st String

(08-11-2020 03:14 PM)bluelotmayor Wrote:  
(08-11-2020 12:37 PM)Nukesquad Wrote:  
(08-11-2020 08:52 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  I hope when ODU replaces Broderick, they make it a priority to find someone who can sell ODU, someone who thinks ODU is a big deal, not a third fiddle regional university. I get the sense from Selig and Broderick that they do not think as highly of ODU place in the world as we on this board do, and they run things as though there is a ceiling. To put it more clearly, they behave like ODU is small time. We need someone who thinks ODU is the big leagues and shares a vision for how they intend to convince everyone else of that. The fact that our own flagship station doesn't even think twice about ODU is a reflection of the lack of importance that our admin puts on developing that relationship. It shows that they are not over there showing ESPN Radio how important ODU is.

I agree with that I hope ODU's next president will sell the school hard, and don't have preconceived "limitations" on where ODU could go. However, Broderick took ODU upwards from where Runte had it. She fit your definition exactly with "not think as highly of ODU place in the world" and operating as "small time." Broderick was instrumental in ODU's bringing back football; he basically pushed it though, when Jarrett was hesitant.

As for ESPN Radio, that station cares mainly about NFL/Tech/UVA. I know media relations have talked to them (spanning decades) until they're blue in the face and nothing has changed.. That has not changed since Jarrett was the AD & Koch/Runte were president.

I just want to point out that the Board of Visitors voted to bring back football in 2005 and Wilder was hired in 2007, under Runte. While Broderick has been a proponent of football, she did get the ball rolling, however reluctantly you feel it was.

You are absolutely correct on dates, and you are also correct in that it was the BOV who voted on the return of football, NOT Runte. The makeup of the BOV were in agreement with a majority of the VPs at the time (one of whom being Broderick), who knew that the current President and AD were very hesitant in bringing FB back to ODU.

I apologize to any/all who felt my previous comments was a personal attack on Runte. I felt she guided ODU forward during her tenure, and all of my interactions with her were pleasant. However, her stance to athletic prominence was to "leave athletics alone to themselves." Someone here mentioned great athletic atmospheres during her tenure, that was on those specific programs, and their associated staffs. Yes, Runte came to alot of sporting events, but that is consistent with all other presidents, not the exception. My stance was to showcase that Broderick has moved the the University forward, in a positive light. He took a specific, vested interest in the athletics department that hadn't been done in the past 3 presidents. Again, not intended to be a knock on past presidents, but a highlight to Broderick's tenure. My hope that the next president will continue on with that dedication to athletics, and most importantly its student-athletes.
08-12-2020 03:53 PM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

(08-12-2020 03:27 PM)VB Monarch Wrote:  Never forget watching her walking up and down the aisles at the ted, glad handing. She was a superior, tireless leader who could schmooz with the best. We could only hope to find another like her after Broderick retires.
We are in 100% agreement on something.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
08-12-2020 05:17 PM
VB Monarch Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
Had to happen sooner or later04-cheers
08-12-2020 06:01 PM
blueandsilver Offline
2nd String

(08-12-2020 03:01 PM)jaybird44 Wrote:  
(08-11-2020 07:54 PM)RoanokeMonarch Wrote:  
(08-11-2020 03:14 PM)bluelotmayor Wrote:  I just want to point out that the Board of Visitors voted to bring back football in 2005 and Wilder was hired in 2007, under Runte. While Broderick has been a proponent of football, she did get the ball rolling, however reluctantly you feel it was.

Nuke, I 100% disagree with you. I remember President Runte as a huge ODU supporter and very vocal leader. I always thought she had great vision and ‘skies the limit’ mentality. She certainly worked the state general assembly in trying to get better funding for ODU.
I certainly remember her attending all men’s bb games, always engaging with the students and crowd. During her time, the student body was very engaged. We had an awesome home court atmosphere. And, as just mentioned, she was instrumental in starting football. She recognized the national attention football would bring to the university.
I remember her coming to Roanoke soon after becoming President and meeting with local alumni. She was very personable and engaging.
I believe we took a step back when Broderick become President. But just my two cents....
04-cheers

I agree with this. While Johnny B is a good president, he is not great, and I feel like the board settled on him as the best of bad choices. I think he has exceeded my expectations, but if Runte had stayed/been allowed to stay (What ever the situation was) I think ODU would have been in a much better place. Her focus was on making ODU a national academic player and I realize rankings aren't everything, but they were moving up when she was here and they have gone down since she left.

Dr runte was an awesome leader and she was the one who made odu go. She always took time out for me and my family. She tried to make odu keep up with the times and there was nothing she would not do to give odu the best. She left to go back to canada and I believe she is a CEO for a major company there. She agreed with most of us to try and think like a big time university and boy did she deliver some outstanding leadership and very generous donations by alumni and local businesses. We can do that here. We are the big boys in town and we should act like it.

After Runte, ODU went into a malaise and was just sleepwalking. With Runte there was a vision and goal to be in the Top 100 universities in research. After she left, that goal disappeared and the university has lost any identity that would distinguish it among peers. Over 10 years of rudderless drift. Don't get me wrong, I love ODU, but it is discouraging to see the university languish. How about this question, "What is the central focus and identity of ODU?" I have a hard time with an answer, Diversity? 87% Acceptance Rate?
08-13-2020 09:27 AM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-13-2020 09:27 AM)blueandsilver Wrote:  
(08-11-2020 07:54 PM)RoanokeMonarch Wrote:  Nuke, I 100% disagree with you. I remember President Runte as a huge ODU supporter and very vocal leader. I always thought she had great vision and ‘skies the limit’ mentality. She certainly worked the state general assembly in trying to get better funding for ODU.
04-cheers

After Runte, ODU went into a malaise and was just sleepwalking. With Runte there was a vision and goal to be in the Top 100 universities in research. After she left, that goal disappeared and the university has lost any identity that would distinguish it among peers. Over 10 years of rudderless drift. Don't get me wrong, I love ODU, but it is discouraging to see the university languish. How about this question, "What is the central focus and identity of ODU?" I have a hard time with an answer, Diversity? 87% Acceptance Rate?

Thats how I feel too. ODU was starting to get a reputation as a good technology/STEM/research school on the rise in an urban location near the beach. I don't know what happened. The only time they play up the beach location is in athletic recruiting it seems. I'd have ODU branded surfboards, swim trunks and beach photos in all of our marketing. If we could get our oceanography department back up in the rankings that would play off that brand too. At least its a differential. Definitely not something VT, JMU or VCU can claim. A coastal version of VT is not at all a bad thing to strive to be. In fact it was basically what we were striving to be under Dr Koch. (only without football). That approach is working well for FAU and to some degree FIU as well.
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2020 09:57 AM by monarx.)
08-13-2020 09:55 AM
RoanokeMonarch Offline
1st String

(08-13-2020 09:27 AM)blueandsilver Wrote:  
(08-11-2020 07:54 PM)RoanokeMonarch Wrote:  Nuke, I 100% disagree with you. I remember President Runte as a huge ODU supporter and very vocal leader. I always thought she had great vision and ‘skies the limit’ mentality. She certainly worked the state general assembly in trying to get better funding for ODU.
04-cheers

Agree 100%. Sad but true....
08-14-2020 10:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.