Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Aqua-man decides not to return to CBU...
Bookmark and Share
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

I Root For: NMSU
Aqua-man decides not to return to CBU...
Milan Acquaah decided to remain in this year's NBA draft and pursue a professional career.

This is the second year in a row, a WAC Player of the Year chose to leave his respective team with eligibility remaining. In 2019, after being selected WAC Player of the Year, Jake Toolson decided to follow his former UVU coach Mark Pope and transfer to BYU as a grad transfer. And now, after being selected the WAC Player of the Year after this past season, Milan Acquaah decided to forgo his final year of eligibility to go pro.
08-05-2020 09:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

gleadley Offline
1st String

I Root For: GCU
RE: Aqua-man decides not to return to CBU...
That's 3 of the last 5 POYs (Siakam in 2016), right?
08-06-2020 11:33 AM
TexanFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tarleton
(08-06-2020 11:33 AM)gleadley Wrote:  That's 3 of the last 5 POYs (Siakam in 2016), right?

Why do you think the players are leaving? Do they think they can develop better somewhere else?
08-06-2020 11:50 AM
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

In Pascal Siakam's case, he justifiable left the WAC to become a 1st round draft pick in the NBA. In my opinion, Milan Acquaah should have returned to CBU. I'm think he will not get drafted and with a COVID19 environment currently happening, I'm not sure it is safe (health wise) traveling overseas to play pro ball.

Since NMSU joined the WAC these are the WAC Player of the Year...

2005-06 Nick Fazekas, Nevada
2006-07 Nick Fazekas, Nevada
2007-08 Jaycee Carroll, Utah State
2008-09 Gary Wilkinson, Utah State
2009-10 Luke Babbitt, Nevada
2010-11 Tai Wesley, Utah State
2011-12 Deonte Burton, Nevada
2012-13 Kyle Barone, Idaho
2013-14 Daniel Mullings, NM State
2014-15 Martez Harrison, Kansas City
2015-16 Pascal Siakam, NM State
2016-17 Ian Baker, NM State
2017-18 Jemerrio Jones, NM State
2018-19 Jake Toolson, Utah Valley
2019-20 Milan Acquaah, Cal Baptist

It will be interesting which players steps up this season. Last season the WAC POTY award came down between Juniors Milan Acquaah (CBU) and Terrell Brown (Seattle U.). With Acquaah gone, Terrell Brown would have been the front runner this season if he had not transferred to Arizona earlier this summer. So, the door now is wide open for the taking. Probably the favorite early on will be GCU's Alessandro Level. But UTRGV's Javon Levi might also be in the running. Jabari Rice had the best season at NMSU last season. But NMSU's roster is talent laden so Rice's numbers might be impacted this go around. Then again with all the new faces it could be a darkhorse who is selected 2020-21 WAC Player of the Year.
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2020 02:31 PM by NMSUPistolPete.)
08-06-2020 01:57 PM
gleadley Offline
1st String

I Root For: GCU
(08-06-2020 01:57 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  In Pascal Siakam's case, he justifiable left the WAC to because a 1st round draft pick in the NBA. In my opinion, Milan Acquaah should have returned to CBU. I'm think he will get drafted and with a COVID19 environment currently happening, I'm not sure it is safe (health wise) traveling overseas to play pro ball.

Since NMSU joined the WAC these are the WAC Player of the Year...

2005-06 Nick Fazekas, Nevada
2006-07 Nick Fazekas, Nevada
2008-09 Gary Wilkinson, Utah State
2009-10 Luke Babbitt, Nevada
2010-11 Tai Wesley, Utah State
2011-12 Deonte Burton, Nevada
2012-13 Kyle Barone, Idaho
2013-14 Daniel Mullings, NM State
2014-15 Martez Harrison, Kansas City
2015-16 Pascal Siakam, NM State
2016-17 Ian Baker, NM State
2017-18 Jemerrio Jones, NM State
2018-19 Jake Toolson, Utah Valley
2019-20 Milan Acquaah, Cal Baptist

It will be interesting which players steps up this season. Last season the WAC POTY award came down between Juniors Milan Acquaah (CBU) and Terrell Brown (Seattle U.). With Acquaah gone, Terrell Brown would have been the front runner this season if he had not transferred to Arizona earlier this summer. So, the door now is wide open for the taking. Probably the favorite early on will be GCU's Alessandro Level. But UTRGV's Javon Levi might also be in the running. Jabari Rice had the best season at NMSU last season. But NMSU's roster is talent laden so Rice's numbers might be impacted this go around. Then again with all the new faces it could be a darkhorse who is selected 2020-21 WAC Player of the Year.

I'm not sure it's safe (health wise) to stay in the U.S., so maybe that's why he's comfortable travelling overseas to play pro ball.
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2020 02:07 PM by gleadley.)
08-06-2020 02:06 PM
Advertisement

Trod0 Offline
2nd String

This guy was the best shooter I have ever seen in my life.
08-06-2020 06:03 PM
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

(08-06-2020 06:03 PM)Trod0 Wrote:  2007-08 Jaycee Carroll, Utah State

He was a sniper. In Carroll's senior year, he averaged 22.4 ppg, 6.0 rpg, and 2.2 apg. But what was impressive was he shot 49.8% from behind the arc; hitting 114 threes that season. He also shot 54.8% inside the arc for total field goal average on 52.6% from the field. And he was also deadly from the free-throw line; shooting 91.9%. He was an offensive nightmare for defenses. If Utah State might have done something in the NCAA tournament if not for meeting a really hot Boise State team in the WAC tournament. Boise State also derailed NMSU in the WAC Tournament Championship; beating the Aggies 107-102 in triple overtime.

Below is Carroll playing against NMSU his Junior year. Utah State won this game. NMSU won the WAC tournament and got the NCAA bid.

(This post was last modified: 08-06-2020 07:57 PM by NMSUPistolPete.)
08-06-2020 06:22 PM
Trod0 Offline
2nd String

(08-06-2020 06:22 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  
(08-06-2020 06:03 PM)Trod0 Wrote:  2007-08 Jaycee Carroll, Utah State

He was a sniper. In Carroll's senior year, he averaged 22.4 ppg, 6.0 rpg, and 2.2 apg. But what was impressive was he shot 49.8% from behind the arc; hitting 114 threes that season. He also shot 54.8% inside the arc for total field goal average on 52.6% from the field. And he was also deadly from the free-throw line; shooting 91.9%. He was an offensive nightmare for defenses. If Utah State might have done something in the NCAA tournament if not for meeting a really hot Boise State team in the WAC tournament. Boise State also derailed NMSU in the WAC Tournament Championship; beating the Aggies 107-102 in triple overtime.

Below is Carroll playing against NMSU his Junior year. Utah State won this game. NMSU won the WAC tournament and got the NCAA bid.

He was absolutely deadly with the ball in his hands, he was as Steph Curry before Steph Curry. I wish we would have kept a series going with USU after their departure.
08-07-2020 08:55 AM
SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU
(08-06-2020 11:50 AM)TexanFan Wrote:  
(08-06-2020 11:33 AM)gleadley Wrote:  That's 3 of the last 5 POYs (Siakam in 2016), right?

Why do you think the players are leaving? Do they think they can develop better somewhere else?

Each of these kids has their own reason, but in the case of Milan Acquaah, he wants to play in the NBA. I think he can get there, he just needs to get lucky and find the right team. I am going to miss the kid, he was a terrific clutch player and I loved his cockiness. He was a good teammate and I thought he matured as a player last season. He was not trying to fight everyone last season. It will not be easy for CBU to replace him.

Jake Toolson of UVU, the WAC POY in 2018-2019, left as a graduate transfer to play for his coach, Mark Pope at BYU. It was the right decision, as he was first team All-WCC and the he was 2nd in the nation in 3rd point field goal percentage. Because he can shoot so well, he has a decent shot at the NBA. Like Acquaah, he needs to find the right team for his skills.

The 2017-2018 WAC POY, Jemerrio Jones of NMSU, played through his senior season. He is a beast on the boards and playing for the Lakers, he grabbed 16 rebounds in a game against the Utah Jazz. He is back in the G-League right now, but I think he will eventually find his way back to the NBA.

Pascal Siakam of NMSU, the WAC POY of 2016, has turned out to be a stud. An NBA All-Star and NBA Champion. It was obvious that he was going to be drafted, but I did not see him being this good. It is easy to love his game.
08-08-2020 09:28 PM
Advertisement

NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

(08-08-2020 09:28 PM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  

Each of these kids has their own reason, but in the case of Milan Acquaah, he wants to play in the NBA. I think he can get there, he just needs to get lucky and find the right team. I am going to miss the kid, he was a terrific clutch player and I loved his cockiness. He was a good teammate and I thought he matured as a player last season. He was not trying to fight everyone last season. It will not be easy for CBU to replace him.

Jake Toolson of UVU, the WAC POY in 2018-2019, left as a graduate transfer to play for his coach, Mark Pope at BYU. It was the right decision, as he was first team All-WCC and the he was 2nd in the nation in 3rd point field goal percentage. Because he can shoot so well, he has a decent shot at the NBA. Like Acquaah, he needs to find the right team for his skills.

The 2017-2018 WAC POY, Jemerrio Jones of NMSU, played through his senior season. He is a beast on the boards and playing for the Lakers, he grabbed 16 rebounds in a game against the Utah Jazz. He is back in the G-League right now, but I think he will eventually find his way back to the NBA.

Pascal Siakam of NMSU, the WAC POY of 2016, has turned out to be a stud. An NBA All-Star and NBA Champion. It was obvious that he was going to be drafted, but I did not see him being this good. It is easy to love his game.

Is there a player on the CBU roster who can takeover Acquaah's mantle? Or do you see his production being absorbed by a combination of Lancer players?

Seattle U lost Terrell Brown; who did everything for the team last year. But it looks like Hayford might have found his replacement with the signing of JC All-American guard Angelo Stuart.

I think the WAC program who will show the most improvement this season is GCU. The return of Oscar Frayer has vastly improved their prospects.
08-09-2020 12:01 PM
Itinerant Texan Offline
Shot Caller

I Root For: On Ye Tarleton!
(08-09-2020 12:01 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  

Is there a player on the CBU roster who can takeover Acquaah's mantle? Or do you see his production being absorbed by a combination of Lancer players?

Seattle U lost Terrell Brown; who did everything for the team last year. But it looks like Hayford might have found his replacement with the signing of JC All-American guard Angelo Stuart.

I think the WAC program who will show the most improvement this season is GCU. The return of Oscar Frayer has vastly improved their prospects.

Agreed. And the HC ain't bad, either.
08-09-2020 12:18 PM
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

(08-09-2020 12:18 PM)Itinerant Texan Wrote:  

Agreed. And the HC ain't bad, either.

I think Drew will have success at GCU but he is very Mayberry and Brady Bunch as a head coach compared to coaches like Gillispie and Jans; who have proven to be very successful creating teams with more edge. There will definitely be a contrast in styles in the WAC. Gillispie, Jans, and Hill get down and dirty defensively. More of a junk yard dog style. Drew, Croy, Hayford, Madsen, and Judkins rely a little more on offensive execution. They want to slice and dice defenses. Irvin hasn't had enough talent on his roster to have a discernable style.
08-09-2020 05:45 PM
SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

No, there is not a single players on the CBU roster that can replace him. It will be absorbed by a roster of Lancers and I think they have a good roster. Acquaah was the only player on the team the past two seasons that could create his own shot, that could beat almost anyone one-on-one. and was also an excellent passer. In close games he was the difference.

Oscar Frayer is a player with a lot of upside potential and if Bryce Drew can get him to reach that potential, GCU will challenge NMSU for the title. I could also add that for Lever as well.
08-10-2020 03:03 AM
Advertisement

NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

(08-10-2020 03:03 AM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  

No, there is not a single players on the CBU roster that can replace him. It will be absorbed by a roster of Lancers and I think they have a good roster. Acquaah was the only player on the team the past two seasons that could create his own shot, that could beat almost anyone one-on-one. and was also an excellent passer. In close games he was the difference.

Oscar Frayer is a player with a lot of upside potential and if Bryce Drew can get him to reach that potential, GCU will challenge NMSU for the title. I could also add that for Lever as well.

GCU will have a good big 3 in Lever, Frayer, and Blacksher. And, it looks like they will have good supporting cast to build a team around them. The big problem for Drew is to build a "help" defense that can hide Lever's lack of lateral quickness. For the first three years, Lever has been a defensive liability. And, Jans has exploited that weakness to NMSU's advantage. I think GCU probably has a starting 5 that can rival NMSU's starting 5. The difference has been that NMSU's high performance has come in waves with a talented deep bench. GCU has had to rely on two or three players to carry most of the scoring load. And, some Lope players haven't been good enough to cover up other teammates deficiencies. We will see if Drew's coaching will be able to shore up these inconsistencies. Lever needs a workhorse teammate in the front court with him who can rebound and play great "help" defense so, that Lever's main asset can finally shine; his highly skilled shooting ability. Frayer's and McGlothan's presence (and a more mature Okpoh) should be a big help to support Lever's game. NMSU and GCU should be head and shoulders above the rest of the WAC.
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2020 10:56 AM by NMSUPistolPete.)
08-10-2020 10:53 AM
Trod0 Offline
2nd String

When I first noticed Frayer he was guarding Zack Lofton. I said to myself that Frayer was a NBA player. He had it all, height, speed and athleticism. I thought the next year he would easily be in the running for WAC POY. Next year came and nothing. Then another year came and nothing. Frayer reminds me a lot of Banja Sy. Supper athletic and skilled, when they move on the court you can see the difference compared to everyone else. The things they do look easy. At the same time they’re so inconsistent in their play. It make me wonder how a person possesses all those skills doesn’t score at will. I dont think a coaching change will help him, as inconsistency is mental. If these guys (Frayer and Sy)had been consistent their whole lives they wouldn’t have played for NMSU or GCU and would have NBA careers.
08-10-2020 11:18 AM
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

(08-10-2020 11:18 AM)Trod0 Wrote:  When I first noticed Frayer he was guarding Zack Lofton. I said to myself that Frayer was a NBA player. He had it all, height, speed and athleticism. I thought the next year he would easily be in the running for WAC POY. Next year came and nothing. Then another year came and nothing. Frayer reminds me a lot of Banja Sy. Supper athletic and skilled, when they move on the court you can see the difference compared to everyone else. The things they do look easy. At the same time they’re so inconsistent in their play. It make me wonder how a person possesses all those skills doesn’t score at will. I dont think a coaching change will help him, as inconsistency is mental. If these guys (Frayer and Sy)had been consistent their whole lives they wouldn’t have played for NMSU or GCU and would have NBA careers.

I don't think having Drew as Frayer's coach will automatically turn Frayer into an NBA prospect. But having the right coach does make a difference. Jans had a lot to do with Lofton's improvement in his final season. Before coming to NMSU, Lofton was a volume shooter who did not shoot a very high percentage; often playing out of control. Jans refined Lofton's game and helped him become a much better defender and decision maker. Even if Drew has only a moderate effect on Frayer's game, GCU (and Frayer) will be in a much better situation this fall than anytime under Majerle's leadership. I see NMSU having a difficult series with GCU. As a coach, Drew doesn't come unhinged like Majerle. GCU had NMSU on the ropes few time over the last three years but Majerle's lack of coaching during crunch time put NMSU in a position to pull out a win in ever game.

And, in the case below, after NMSU controlling almost the whole game (only to hand GCU a win on a silver platter), it took a miracle shot by McCants at the end to redeem our Aggie's almost melt down.

(This post was last modified: 08-10-2020 12:52 PM by NMSUPistolPete.)
08-10-2020 12:16 PM
SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

(08-10-2020 12:16 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  
(08-10-2020 11:18 AM)Trod0 Wrote:  When I first noticed Frayer he was guarding Zack Lofton. I said to myself that Frayer was a NBA player. He had it all, height, speed and athleticism. I thought the next year he would easily be in the running for WAC POY. Next year came and nothing. Then another year came and nothing. Frayer reminds me a lot of Banja Sy. Supper athletic and skilled, when they move on the court you can see the difference compared to everyone else. The things they do look easy. At the same time they’re so inconsistent in their play. It make me wonder how a person possesses all those skills doesn’t score at will. I dont think a coaching change will help him, as inconsistency is mental. If these guys (Frayer and Sy)had been consistent their whole lives they wouldn’t have played for NMSU or GCU and would have NBA careers.

I don't think having Drew as Frayer's coach will automatically turn Frayer into an NBA prospect. But having the right coach does make a difference. Jans had a lot to do with Lofton's improvement in his final season. Before coming to NMSU, Lofton was a volume shooter who did not shoot a very high percentage; often playing out of control. Jans refined Lofton's game and helped him become a much better defender and decision maker. Even if Drew has only a moderate effect on Frayer's game, GCU (and Frayer) will be in a much better situation this fall than anytime under Majerle's leadership. I see NMSU having a difficult series with GCU. As a coach, Drew doesn't come unhinged like Majerle. GCU had NMSU on the ropes few time over the last three years but Majerle's lack of coaching during crunch time put NMSU in a position to pull out a win in ever game.

And, in the case below, after NMSU controlling almost the whole game (only to hand GCU a win on a silver platter), it took a miracle shot by McCants at the end to redeem our Aggie's almost melt down.

Frayer was originally a three star Cal commit who decommitted and decided to attend GCU. It was a great pickup by Majerle, but Frayer never seemed to consistently get to where I thought he should have been. In the 2017-2018 season, he was first team All-WAC on defense and led the team in steals, and was second in rebounding and block shots. In 2018-2019, he led the team in block shots. Bryce Drew knows the kid can play. he needs to fine offensive consistency with Frayer. It is there somewhere. In a game in Las Cruces against NMSU, Frayer was outstanding with 23 points and 10 rebounds, hitting 4 of 5 from three point range and 5 of 6 from the line. I remember being very impressed with Frayer. He has never averaged in double figures for a season, but that night he was terrific. So Drew has to get him to the point where he can average double figures (14 points per game or more) and develop some consistency.

As for Lever, he is soft. His lateral quickness could be overcome with a little toughness. He plays like a shooting guard. In 2018-2019, the 6 foot 10 inch Lever had a total of 2 blocked shots and averaged 4.3 rebounds per game, with a total of 14 steals in 34 games. Frayer blocked 25 shots in 2018-2019 and Lever could only block two? That is a lack of toughness and a lack of effort. Drew has to fix that problem.
08-10-2020 02:45 PM
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

Lever is just a stiff defensively and on the boards. No quick hops (to block shots), no lateral quickness (to cut off the drive or boxout on rebounds). He plays basketball very upright and flat footed. I think Drew can squeeze a little more effort out of Lever but he will need help to mask his deficiencies. Keonta Vernon did just that for Lever in his freshman year. Vernon did his job so well to the point that many people saw a bright future for Lever. However, in three years, Lever has failed to have the breakout moment where he proves to be the best big man in the WAC. Quicker more fluid big men have run circles around Lever. Either Lever or Frayer (or both) will need to have a breakout year in order to challenge NMSU's WAC supremacy. I'm not sure, right now, NMSU has that one player who is clearly the WAC POY. But NMSU has 9 or 10 players who could easily start for any WAC school.
08-10-2020 03:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.