Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Coach Mike Houston says an ECU vs JMU 2020 matchup 'would have some intrigue' (Link)
Bookmark and Share
Indiana Bones Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU
Exclamation Coach Mike Houston says an ECU vs JMU 2020 matchup 'would have some intrigue' (Link)
Skip to 2:30 mark below.

https://247sports.com/college/east-carol...149763380/

The way he reacts makes me think he's not so keen on the idea just yet. Maybe next year. Just out of curiosity, what are you guys hearing about possible replacement games for this season?
08-01-2020 02:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
RE: Coach Mike Houston says an ECU vs JMU 2020 matchup 'would have some intrigue' (Link)
(08-01-2020 02:49 PM)Indiana Bones Wrote:  Skip to 2:30 mark below.

https://247sports.com/college/east-carol...149763380/

The way he reacts makes me think he's not so keen on the idea just yet. Maybe next year. Just out of curiosity, what are you guys hearing about possible replacement games for this season?

Anybody, anywhere. Love to get something going on a regular basis with ECU.
08-01-2020 03:08 PM
Bill Offline
1st String

RE: Coach Mike Houston says an ECU vs JMU 2020 matchup 'would have some intrigue' (Link)
I traveled down to Greenville for the 34-14 beatdown that they paid us $350,000 to give them and would head down there again for what would be another Dukes beatdown. We really should set up a series with them, would love to see Houston and ECU at Bridgeforth.
08-01-2020 03:38 PM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
Yup, a home and away would be great. Give them a home game this year for “free” in exchange for a return game. Unless they really want to pay us again. Or make the payouts minimal for both games to cover travel expenses. Just make sure the buyout on the return game is big, like the $1million NDSU agreed to with Oregon on their away game.
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2020 07:37 PM by JMURocks.)
08-01-2020 05:55 PM
Anders Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU, Boston Col
People may rag on Houston being scared of the matchup but I get it. He was part of what built the powerhouse that is JMU football and needs some time to rebuild ECU. Would love to see a series between the schools but I get him being hesitant.
08-01-2020 08:11 PM
Purplehazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison Dukes
A series with ECU, ECU at Bridgeforth?

Are we choosing to ignore or forgetting we are fcs? Neither is going to happen.
08-01-2020 09:56 PM
Advertisement

KickItToScotty Offline
Heisman

(08-01-2020 09:56 PM)Purplehazed Wrote:  A series with ECU, ECU at Bridgeforth?

Are we choosing to ignore or forgetting we are fcs? Neither is going to happen.

Yeah it'd be neat to see Bourne work some magic where he finds a way to get an FBS team in Bridgeforth this year or next instead of them having to pay us to go play in their empty or much emptier than usual stadium this year... But I think that's gotta be real unlikely to happen at all and if it does happen it certainly won't be an AAC team.
08-02-2020 06:30 AM
Dukester Offline

If I'm Houston, there is no way I play a game that is a very likely loss to JMU. Why would he want to schedule a very likely loss to a 1AA? Plus, it's his old players. There is zippo chance that happens.
08-03-2020 08:02 AM
BSKB 24 Offline
All American

Having them come to Bridgeforth kind of defeats our need to have a big payday by going there. Maybe a 2 for 1 might work. But, we would still need another FBS away game in the year we had ECU at home. Two FBS games in a normal year could be a killer for FCS playoff chances.
08-04-2020 02:24 PM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-04-2020 02:24 PM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  Having them come to Bridgeforth kind of defeats our need to have a big payday by going there. Maybe a 2 for 1 might work. But, we would still need another FBS away game in the year we had ECU at home. Two FBS games in a normal year could be a killer for FCS playoff chances.

Not if its ECU and ODU. We'd only need to win one. if we were playing two P5's then I agree there is a risk of a low seed or missing the playoffs.
08-04-2020 02:34 PM
Dukester Offline

(08-04-2020 02:34 PM)JMURocks Wrote:  
(08-04-2020 02:24 PM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  Having them come to Bridgeforth kind of defeats our need to have a big payday by going there. Maybe a 2 for 1 might work. But, we would still need another FBS away game in the year we had ECU at home. Two FBS games in a normal year could be a killer for FCS playoff chances.

Not if its ECU and ODU. We'd only need to win one. if we were playing two P5's then I agree there is a risk of a low seed or missing the playoffs.

With the current playoffs structure (not this year), JMU can easily make the playoffs with 7 wins. I'd love to have at least one winnable FBS every year, even if it's teamed with a payday game.
08-04-2020 03:07 PM
Advertisement

AssyrianDuke Offline
All American

I am not sure why people keep talking about a home game with an FBS school. That won't happen until we join their ranks. We very well might play ECU in the future, but given our current FCS standing, it would be our payday game; same as it was in 2017.
08-05-2020 07:38 AM
Dukester Offline

(08-05-2020 07:38 AM)AssyrianDuke Wrote:  I am not sure why people keep talking about a home game with an FBS school. That won't happen until we join their ranks. We very well might play ECU in the future, but given our current FCS standing, it would be our payday game; same as it was in 2017.

I agree - but this is the season of dreams, but likely no football games.
08-05-2020 07:58 AM
AssyrianDuke Offline
All American

(08-05-2020 07:58 AM)Dukester Wrote:  
(08-05-2020 07:38 AM)AssyrianDuke Wrote:  I am not sure why people keep talking about a home game with an FBS school. That won't happen until we join their ranks. We very well might play ECU in the future, but given our current FCS standing, it would be our payday game; same as it was in 2017.

I agree - but this is the season of dreams, but likely no football games.

Season of Dreams, you say? In that case I can't wait to see what our FBS Independent schedule looks like a couple weeks down the road 05-stirthepot I also invite you all to my upcoming wedding with Emilia Clarke which will have real life dragons!

I would, however, like to go to school one of these days (nights?) with my pants though. Also, I would like to not have that dream where it feels like I'm choking on gum and can't breath.
08-05-2020 08:31 AM
Purple Offline
Heisman

(08-01-2020 08:11 PM)Anders Wrote:  People may rag on Houston being scared of the matchup but I get it. He was part of what built the powerhouse that is JMU football and needs some time to rebuild ECU. Would love to see a series between the schools but I get him being hesitant.

Mikey is going to need more than time "to rebuild ECU." I still predict that the Pirates will remain a dumpster fire. No amount of locker room fire and brimstone is going to fix that. Houston was totally out to lunch during his last season in the burg, especially against Elon, New Hampshire, and Colgate.
08-05-2020 08:57 AM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-05-2020 08:57 AM)Purple Wrote:  
(08-01-2020 08:11 PM)Anders Wrote:  People may rag on Houston being scared of the matchup but I get it. He was part of what built the powerhouse that is JMU football and needs some time to rebuild ECU. Would love to see a series between the schools but I get him being hesitant.

Mikey is going to need more than time "to rebuild ECU." I still predict that the Pirates will remain a dumpster fire. No amount of locker room fire and brimstone is going to fix that. Houston was totally out to lunch during his last season in the burg, especially against Elon, New Hampshire, and Colgate.

Part of it will come down to whether or not the new DC can perform better than Trott, and also how their recruiting goes next year or two. They seem to be loaded at QB, but struggling with the run game and OL/protection. Sound familiar?

I see it as a bad omen that Trott was pushed out so quick. The boosters are impatient there, and some fans are already calling for Houston’s head because they are unhappy with what they saw out of the OL last year, and they what they perceive as lack of recruiting to fix that. They perceive him as a lower level FCS coach in over his head, which I think is part of the reason Trott didn’t last.

I’m really not sure MH fully understood the headaches he was walking into. Fixing JMU wasn’t a rebuild, it happened in year one with Trott fixing the D schemes and MH fixing a divided locker room. We had the talent on day 1.
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2020 09:43 AM by JMURocks.)
08-05-2020 09:33 AM
Advertisement

Dukester Offline

(08-05-2020 09:33 AM)JMURocks Wrote:  
(08-05-2020 08:57 AM)Purple Wrote:  

Part of it will come down to whether or not the new DC can perform better than Trott, and also how their recruiting goes next year or two. They seem to be loaded at QB, but struggling with the run game and OL/protection. Sound familiar?

I see it as a bad omen that Trott was pushed out so quick. The boosters are impatient there, and some fans are already calling for Houston’s head because they are unhappy with what they saw out of the OL last year, and they what they perceive as lack of recruiting to fix that. They perceive him as a lower level FCS coach in over his head, which I think is part of the reason Trott didn’t last.

I’m really not sure MH fully understood the headaches he was walking into. Fixing JMU wasn’t a rebuild, it happened in year one with Trott fixing the D schemes and MH fixing a divided locker room. We had the talent on day 1.

Kinda interesting he bought in one of his former assistants to replace Trott....
08-05-2020 02:37 PM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-05-2020 02:37 PM)Dukester Wrote:  Kinda interesting he bought in one of his former assistants to replace Trott....

Yeah, I think he was told to dump Trott, but at least they didn't neuter him and push David Blackwell down his throat, who was the booster fav pick.

My feeling is the top boosters there sometimes run things a bit, in a Snyder-istic way. Time will tell if it all works out.

MH does show some loyalty to guys that perform for him, and he had a good run with Harrell previously. I'm not convinced he's better than Trott as a game day strategy guy, but maybe he'll push the right buttons and get better results at ECU.
08-05-2020 07:14 PM
DiceRogerLion Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Dukes
Trott was not an effective recruiter. That is arguably the most important thing a CFB Coach does.

He is a good DC. His scheme is simple, which is great when you have better players than the other team. ECU does not have the horses to play base defense and shut people down.
08-05-2020 08:24 PM
Purple Offline
Heisman

(08-05-2020 09:33 AM)JMURocks Wrote:  
(08-05-2020 08:57 AM)Purple Wrote:  [quote='Anders' pid='16926414' dateline='1596330706']
People may rag on Houston being scared of the matchup but I get it. He was part of what built the powerhouse that is JMU football and needs some time to rebuild ECU. Would love to see a series between the schools but I get him being hesitant.

Quote:They perceive him as a lower level FCS coach in over his head.

They perceive him correctly.
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2020 11:12 PM by Purple.)
08-06-2020 11:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.