Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Time to Dust Off Your PowerPoint
Bookmark and Share
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
RE: Time to Dust Off Your PowerPoint
(07-31-2020 01:53 PM)OKIcat Wrote:  
(07-31-2020 10:15 AM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  I'm going to be the cynic... Unless and until the thing actually happens, and the ACC itself announces the addition of the University of Cincinnati to the Conference, it isn't a "thing." Custom letterhead and backdrops or not...

I understand and agree; we've all been on this roller coaster far too long for any of us to enjoy the ride.

It's amusing to read that ACC board. Lots of kind comments about UC and it's always encouraging to hear good words from fans at P5 schools. But as soon as those popped up, you had a UCF fan who began lobbying the posters. LOL, as if these folks commenting have any power or influence in such decisions.

It is what it is... LoL

Both programs have strengths

I'm just happy to get some new blood over to the acct board

07-31-2020 02:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
(07-31-2020 02:48 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  
(07-31-2020 10:15 AM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  I'm going to be the cynic... Unless and until the thing actually happens, and the ACC itself announces the addition of the University of Cincinnati to the Conference, it isn't a "thing." Custom letterhead and backdrops or not...

I understand and agree; we've all been on this roller coaster far too long for any of us to enjoy the ride.

It's amusing to read that ACC board. Lots of kind comments about UC and it's always encouraging to hear good words from fans at P5 schools. But as soon as those popped up, you had a UCF fan who began lobbying the posters. LOL, as if these folks commenting have any power or influence in such decisions.

It is what it is... LoL

Bolded, oh, that makes sense. And I do respect what UCF has accomplished.

I'm biased (obviously) and feel Cincinnati's total value offering is superior institutionally. And planting the ACC flag in an entirely new market in a football crazed, talent rich state (7th in population) trumps adding a third Florida school to the ACC, undermining some of Miami's and FSU's competitive advantage in recruiting.

07-31-2020 03:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(07-31-2020 03:47 PM)OKIcat Wrote:  
(07-31-2020 02:48 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  

It is what it is... LoL

Bolded, oh, that makes sense. And I do respect what UCF has accomplished.

I'm biased (obviously) and feel Cincinnati's total value offering is superior institutionally. And planting the ACC flag in an entirely new market in a football crazed, talent rich state (7th in population) trumps adding a third Florida school to the ACC, undermining some of Miami's and FSU's competitive advantage in recruiting.

04-cheers. This is kinda like playing Risk... I'm not sure the Big12 would offer UCF/USF but that would really make Florida a free for all. Personally, I think Cincy coming in with Notre Dame is the best play other than a home run like Texas or Penn State

07-31-2020 04:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville
Has the American said anything about schedules for this year? I haven't seen anything, but I haven't been looking either.

There are a bunch of Louisville fans wanting to play Cincinnati for our OOC game this year .... but I wonder what your conference is setting down, so it may not even be possible.

07-31-2020 04:41 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(07-31-2020 04:41 PM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  Has the American said anything about schedules for this year? I haven't seen anything, but I haven't been looking either.

There are a bunch of Louisville fans wanting to play Cincinnati for our OOC game this year .... but I wonder what your conference is setting down, so it may not even be possible.

They just announced today 8 conference games and will the league to play OOC games. Right now UC has 3 OOC games in the schedule, but who knows, we could find one or all of those games falling apart depending on what the MAC (Miami, Western Michigan) and the FCS does (Austin Peay).

07-31-2020 05:06 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
(07-31-2020 05:06 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(07-31-2020 04:41 PM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  Has the American said anything about schedules for this year? I haven't seen anything, but I haven't been looking either.

They just announced today 8 conference games and will the league to play OOC games. Right now UC has 3 OOC games in the schedule, but who knows, we could find one or all of those games falling apart depending on what the MAC (Miami, Western Michigan) and the FCS does (Austin Peay).

Is that official Clifton? I haven't seen anything from Aresco yet.

07-31-2020 05:29 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

Hey, I posted this over on the ACC board. Cincinnati football all-time versus...

Football
Boston College 4-4; Last played 2020 [Birmingham Bowl] W
Duke 1-0; Last played 2012 [Belk Bowl] W
Florida St 0-6; Last played 1990
Louisville 30-22-1; Last played 2013 L
Miami, FL 2-11; Last played 2015 W
North Carolina 0-3; Last played 2013
North Carolina St 1-1; Last played 2011 W
Notre Dame 0-1; Last played 1900 [LOL]
Pittsburgh 4-8; Last played 2012 W
Syracuse 8-4; Last played 2012 W
Virginia Tech 6-6; Last played 2018 [Military Bowl] W
Source: Winsipedia

This really shows our football program has elevated in recent years and can compete at the highest level in the ACC.

07-31-2020 05:37 PM
Saint Martin Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UC
(07-30-2020 10:26 AM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  
(07-30-2020 10:19 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(07-30-2020 09:55 AM)Z-Fly Wrote:  
(07-30-2020 09:00 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(07-30-2020 08:53 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  Insiders think it is $22M per year from what I read

I have no inside info on this ND situation. However, the traditional guys are aging out. I really think ND will use this year as a try out (if it happens). Remember, ND has been in the ACC for 7 years now. There is some culture there.

I don't see Temple as a threat. Sure they kinda bring Philly and bridge between BC/Cuse and the South but the campus is not in a great location and Cincy brings a much better overall program. Your facilities are so much better.

Finally, if ND ever goes all in they will probably have a huge input as who 16 will be.

BL: realignment is a thing again

That would probably make UC less likely IMO.

Why do you say that?

We have a non-existent relationship with them. Only football game (minus the game that MIGHT happen in the future) was held in 1900, and basketball was only due to conference affiliation...we haven't had them on the schedule on nearly any Olympic sports outside of the Big East affiliation, and we're an Urban public school.

We were good enough for them to steal our football coach.

Who are they going to take? USC is already in a P5 conference.

If it's left up to Notre Dame to choose who they bring, your USC comment is only a little bit off. They would pick Navy. If they can preserve the rivalry by playing Navy in-conference, that gives them an additional game of non-conference flexibility every year. Assuming 9 game conference schedule, and locking in Stanford and USC every year, then they have one flex game every year to use on Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, etc. I'd be really worried about Navy taking our spot for no reason other than Notre Dame's convenience.

08-03-2020 01:04 PM
doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
(08-03-2020 01:04 PM)Saint Martin Wrote:  
(07-30-2020 09:55 AM)Z-Fly Wrote:  
(07-30-2020 09:00 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  That would probably make UC less likely IMO.

Why do you say that?

We have a non-existent relationship with them. Only football game (minus the game that MIGHT happen in the future) was held in 1900, and basketball was only due to conference affiliation...we haven't had them on the schedule on nearly any Olympic sports outside of the Big East affiliation, and we're an Urban public school.

If it's left up to Notre Dame to choose who they bring, your USC comment is only a little bit off. They would pick Navy. If they can preserve the rivalry by playing Navy in-conference, that gives them an additional game of non-conference flexibility every year. Assuming 9 game conference schedule, and locking in Stanford and USC every year, then they have one flex game every year to use on Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, etc. I'd be really worried about Navy taking our spot for no reason other than Notre Dame's convenience.

If Navy could play BB with the big boys they would play BB in the AAC. Yes I know they once had The Admiral David Robinson but that was many years ago.

08-03-2020 02:02 PM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(08-03-2020 02:02 PM)doss2 Wrote:  
(07-30-2020 09:55 AM)Z-Fly Wrote:  Why do you say that?

If Navy could play BB with the big boys they would play BB in the AAC. Yes I know they once had The Admiral David Robinson but that was many years ago.

Hey genius...

Navy would be a "Football only" add, just like they are in the AAC.

You can make 15 work just fine in all the other sports. 15 is only a disadvantage in FB.

And, yes, if "Notre Dame gets to pick #16..." then NO, I would suspect that Cincinnati would not be their first choice. Navy is the obvious choice for ND because of the rivalry but also because Notre Dame does NOT want to be in a "regional" conference...which the whole appeal of adding UC to "fill in" and "bridge" is based upon.

(This post was last modified: 08-03-2020 03:41 PM by BearcatJerry.)
08-03-2020 03:18 PM
bearcatlawjd2 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
(08-03-2020 03:18 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  
(07-30-2020 10:19 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  We have a non-existent relationship with them. Only football game (minus the game that MIGHT happen in the future) was held in 1900, and basketball was only due to conference affiliation...we haven't had them on the schedule on nearly any Olympic sports outside of the Big East affiliation, and we're an Urban public school.

Hey genius...

You can make 15 work just fine in all the other sports. 15 is only a disadvantage in FB.

And, yes, if "Notre Dame gets to pick #16..." then NO, I would suspect that Cincinnati would not be their first choice. Navy is the obvious choice for ND because of the rivalry but also because Notre Dame does NOT want to be in a "regional" conference...which the whole appeal of adding UC to "fill in" and "bridge" is based upon.

The day of needing 12, 14, or 16 teams for a conference championship game are going to be over. I expect conferences to move in a direction that allows them to place the top two teams at the standing our whatever method the see fit. If Notre Dame joins the ACC they don't need team number 16.

08-03-2020 05:15 PM
doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
(07-30-2020 10:19 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  We have a non-existent relationship with them. Only football game (minus the game that MIGHT happen in the future) was held in 1900, and basketball was only due to conference affiliation...we haven't had them on the schedule on nearly any Olympic sports outside of the Big East affiliation, and we're an Urban public school.

Hey genius...

Hey AH FO!

08-03-2020 07:05 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

You shouldn't have used the word "genius."

08-03-2020 07:36 PM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

(08-03-2020 05:15 PM)bearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  
(07-30-2020 10:26 AM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  We were good enough for them to steal our football coach.

Hey genius...

The day of needing 12, 14, or 16 teams for a conference championship game are going to be over. I expect conferences to move in a direction that allows them to place the top two teams at the standing our whatever method the see fit. If Notre Dame joins the ACC they don't need team number 16.

Agreed; this is a more likely scenario. I actually believe a 16 game playoff would be the death knell for CCG's anyway. What fan base can travel to a CCG and then hit the road again during the year end holidays for a bowl or a couple of rounds of playoffs? Of course this creates another problem: selecting the 16 best playoff contenders.

08-04-2020 07:33 AM
dsquare Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy

Yep,i miss playing Louisville every year. A good and simple road trip.

08-04-2020 08:26 AM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

(08-04-2020 08:26 AM)dsquare Wrote:  

Yep,i miss playing Louisville every year. A good and simple road trip.

I would hope that if there is an "in-state" requirement, they'd grant a waiver for a OOS P5 team that is closer than any other in-state team outside of Miami.

08-04-2020 08:28 AM
Z-Fly Offline
1st String

(08-04-2020 07:33 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  
(08-03-2020 01:04 PM)Saint Martin Wrote:  If it's left up to Notre Dame to choose who they bring, your USC comment is only a little bit off. They would pick Navy. If they can preserve the rivalry by playing Navy in-conference, that gives them an additional game of non-conference flexibility every year. Assuming 9 game conference schedule, and locking in Stanford and USC every year, then they have one flex game every year to use on Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, etc. I'd be really worried about Navy taking our spot for no reason other than Notre Dame's convenience.

Hey genius...

Agreed; this is a more likely scenario. I actually believe a 16 game playoff would be the death knell for CCG's anyway. What fan base can travel to a CCG and then hit the road again during the year end holidays for a bowl or a couple of rounds of playoffs? Of course this creates another problem: selecting the 16 best playoff contenders.

Travel wouldn't be an issue for the Top teams.

08-04-2020 08:46 AM
colohank Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincy
(08-04-2020 08:46 AM)Z-Fly Wrote:  
(08-03-2020 02:02 PM)doss2 Wrote:  If Navy could play BB with the big boys they would play BB in the AAC. Yes I know they once had The Admiral David Robinson but that was many years ago.

Hey genius...

Not for the teams, but for their fans.

08-04-2020 09:56 AM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

(08-04-2020 09:56 AM)colohank Wrote:  
(08-03-2020 03:18 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  Hey genius...

Correct. That's why attendance has been pretty awful for many conference championship games, even with big brand P5 schools in the mix. If you're going to a bowl game (as we most often attend), it's highly unlikely we'd make a trip to Houston, Orlando or Memphis a few weeks prior. It's especially true in that busy window between Thanksgiving and New Year's.

08-04-2020 10:44 AM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

(08-04-2020 10:44 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  
(08-04-2020 09:56 AM)colohank Wrote:  
(08-03-2020 05:15 PM)bearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  The day of needing 12, 14, or 16 teams for a conference championship game are going to be over. I expect conferences to move in a direction that allows them to place the top two teams at the standing our whatever method the see fit. If Notre Dame joins the ACC they don't need team number 16.

Correct. That's why attendance has been pretty awful for many conference championship games, even with big brand P5 schools in the mix. If you're going to a bowl game (as we most often attend), it's highly unlikely we'd make a trip to Houston, Orlando or Memphis a few weeks prior. It's especially true in that busy window between Thanksgiving and New Year's.

And the fact that nothing has changed with those CCGs should should you that the conferences don't really care as long as the ever increasing check clears.

08-04-2020 11:02 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.