Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NAIA-style districts for NCAA Division I schools
TerpsNPhoenix Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maryland & Elon
RE: NAIA-style districts for NCAA Division I schools
(07-27-2020 11:40 PM)Mav Wrote:  District 24 (W. North Carolina): 9 teams
Appalachian St., Davidson, Gardner-Webb, UNC-Asheville, UNC-Charlotte, Wake Forest, High Point, Elon, Western Carolina

District 25 (E. North Carolina): 9 teams
North Carolina, NC State, Duke, East Carolina, UNC-Wilmington, Campbell, UNC-Greensboro, NC A&T, NC-Central

Elon is east of both UNCG and NCAT. Was that just a simple mistake, were you trying to keep the 2 Greensboro schools together or was there some other rationale? In terms of Elon *actually* winning games (or just being competitive) I'd like them to stay with west teams but it probably should be with the east teams if the state is just split in geographically. Then you have to decide who goes west. I think it's UNCG by just a little bit.
07-28-2020 05:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
Those are completely lopsided.

Syracuse, St. John's, and UCLA (districts 3, 4, and 33) have cakewalks to the NCAA bid. BC/UMass, UConn/Providence, UNC/VIrginia Tech, Charlotte/Wake Forest, Arkansas/St. Louis, SDSU/USC are the only competitive teams in their district. District 30 (CO/MT/WY) could go a decade without a ranked team.

Toughest district:
District 8: Georgetown, Maryland, Virginia, Richmond, VCU, George Washington
District 13: Auburn, Florida, Florida State, Georgia (although the rest is pretty weak)
District 18: Cincinnati, Ohio State, Xavier, Dayton
District 20: Indiana, Purdue, Butler, Louisville, only 1 really weak team
District 23: Creighton, Iowa, Iowa State, Missouri, Nebraska, UNI, Drake
District 24: Kansas, Kansas State, Wichita, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, SMU, Tulsa
District 31: Arizona, Arizona State, BYU, Utah
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2020 01:13 PM by Captain Bearcat.)
07-28-2020 07:35 AM
teamvsn Online
Special Teams

I Root For: NAIA
(07-28-2020 02:31 AM)Mav Wrote:  
(07-27-2020 11:54 PM)teamvsn Wrote:  If you guys want to do this right you need to use the original NAIA districts:

https://sites.google.com/site/naiahistor...ganization
A 27-team District 3 and a 3-team District 11 seems kind of silly.

Exactly, and that's why they stopped doing it. As soon as you start altering the districts to fit the competitive landscape, you start to have arguments about fairness, balance and top-down imposed outcomes. Essentially, conferences imposed by bureaucrats. Might as well let them do it themselves and crate their own conferences. And that's what happened.
07-28-2020 08:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mav Offline
1st String

I Root For: Omaha
(07-28-2020 05:35 AM)TerpsNPhoenix Wrote:  
(07-27-2020 11:40 PM)Mav Wrote:  District 24 (W. North Carolina): 9 teams
Appalachian St., Davidson, Gardner-Webb, UNC-Asheville, UNC-Charlotte, Wake Forest, High Point, Elon, Western Carolina

District 25 (E. North Carolina): 9 teams
North Carolina, NC State, Duke, East Carolina, UNC-Wilmington, Campbell, UNC-Greensboro, NC A&T, NC-Central

Elon is east of both UNCG and NCAT. Was that just a simple mistake, were you trying to keep the 2 Greensboro schools together or was there some other rationale? In terms of Elon *actually* winning games (or just being competitive) I'd like them to stay with west teams but it probably should be with the east teams if the state is just split in geographically. Then you have to decide who goes west. I think it's UNCG by just a little bit.
Simple mistake, but one I'd probably leave alone. I wanted to keep the Greensboro schools together. Really, those two districts are a good sign that the system is a really bad idea for D1. UNC or Duke would stay home while Wake or Davidson would get a tourney spot year after year.
07-28-2020 10:43 AM
Rube Dali Offline
1st String

I Root For: UST, BSU, Minn
Speaking of the NAIA, they have postponed most of their Fall season championships to Spring, with football to be decided by the end of the week.

https://www.naia.org/general/2020-21/rel..._7_28_2020
07-28-2020 08:58 PM
HellBlazer Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB!
Alabama (UAT) will not be in the same district with UAB yall better move us or they will come try to shut our football program again.
07-30-2020 07:58 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.