ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Threadjack Split — Philly and Lynchburg.
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
RE: Threadjack Split — Philly and Lynchburg.
(07-25-2020 06:31 AM)VB Monarch Wrote:  Visited an Aunt when I was 12. She lived in Paoli, on the main line. Visited Franklin Museuum, had myfirst soft pretzel, saw Louie Armstrong at the theater in the round, had a great time looking for Dick Clark and those hot Italian girls from Bandstand. Very fond memories.

Philly is just like most other big cities,if you have money, it'scan be a great place to live, if you are poor, forget about it.
Unless things have changed, it is not a good place place to live for the middle class either. Even the middle/lower-middle class suburbs were pretty slummy unless you go all the way out to King of Prussia, Chadds Ford or South Jersey and commute an hour.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
07-25-2020 08:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
devyanks90 Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion

Folding@NCAAbbs
(07-24-2020 04:29 PM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  
(07-24-2020 12:33 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  
(07-23-2020 09:58 PM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  
(07-23-2020 09:39 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  
(07-23-2020 07:10 PM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  Thanks for the support. It is a sad situation. He lives in Philly.

It sounds like it. I'd love to know where he lives, because it certainly isn't in my neighborhood.

Please share where you live. It will not make philly any better. I know that city - and it is a cesspool. You know it, too. It’s why you take offense. The truth apparently hurts you.

I live in Rittenhouse. I'd love for you to tell me my neighborhood is a cesspool. There's at least one billionaire in my building that I'm aware of.

Did you throw up a gang sign after you typed Rittenhouse?

(07-25-2020 08:51 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(07-25-2020 06:31 AM)VB Monarch Wrote:  Visited an Aunt when I was 12. She lived in Paoli, on the main line. Visited Franklin Museuum, had myfirst soft pretzel, saw Louie Armstrong at the theater in the round, had a great time looking for Dick Clark and those hot Italian girls from Bandstand. Very fond memories.

Philly is just like most other big cities,if you have money, it'scan be a great place to live, if you are poor, forget about it.
Unless things have changed, it is not a good place place to live for the middle class either. Even the middle/lower-middle class suburbs were pretty slummy unless you go all the way out to King of Prussia, Chadds Ford or South Jersey and commute an hour.

The Main Line/most of Montgomery County is fine (closer to Norristown gets worse). Most of Delaware County is not. Bucks County north of Route 1 and Street Road is fine (this part is where I live, 6 miles north of the Philadelphia City Limits) Most of Northwest Philadelphia proper are fine.

Prices in Rittenhouse Square rival Manhattan. Center City isn't the hood, but don't venture far.
07-25-2020 04:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Temple

It's genuinely one of the most egalitarian metro areas in the mid atlantic. It is very accessible for middle class families, even in the nicer parts. Obviously, you'll get more house in some of the less desirable burbs, but you don't have to be a multi-millionaire to live where I grew up. My best friend's mom was a social worker and they lived in a decent little house in a good area.
07-25-2020 10:07 PM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-25-2020 04:43 PM)devyanks90 Wrote:  
(07-23-2020 09:39 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  It sounds like it. I'd love to know where he lives, because it certainly isn't in my neighborhood.

Please share where you live. It will not make philly any better. I know that city - and it is a cesspool. You know it, too. It’s why you take offense. The truth apparently hurts you.

I live in Rittenhouse. I'd love for you to tell me my neighborhood is a cesspool. There's at least one billionaire in my building that I'm aware of.

The Main Line/most of Montgomery County is fine (closer to Norristown gets worse). Most of Delaware County is not. Bucks County north of Route 1 and Street Road is fine (this part is where I live, 6 miles north of the Philadelphia City Limits) Most of Northwest Philadelphia proper are fine.

Prices in Rittenhouse Square rival Manhattan. Center City isn't the hood, but don't venture far.

I **** on Delco because of the Montco rivalry, but plenty of it is nice.

Media
Rose Valley
Swarthmore
Chadds Ford
Haverford Twp
Chester Heights
Middletown Twp
Marple
Wallingford
Newtown Twp
Radnor Twp
Ridley
Thornbury
Upper Providence
07-25-2020 10:14 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(07-23-2020 09:39 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  It sounds like it. I'd love to know where he lives, because it certainly isn't in my neighborhood.

Agree, but I was talking muddle class. Delaware County is the middle class suburb, and as you said, it is crap. Montgomery County and the Main Line are very nice, but not middle class.

07-26-2020 07:19 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(07-25-2020 10:14 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  
(07-23-2020 09:58 PM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  Please share where you live. It will not make philly any better. I know that city - and it is a cesspool. You know it, too. It’s why you take offense. The truth apparently hurts you.

Media
Rose Valley
Swarthmore
Chadds Ford
Haverford Twp
Chester Heights
Middletown Twp
Marple
Wallingford
Newtown Twp
Radnor Twp
Ridley
Thornbury
Upper Providence

Forgot about Haverford. That's pretty nice and not ridiculously far from the city. That's probably where I'd live. Rest of those are either too far out for my liking or name doesn't ring a bell. Granted not sure what it costs, school zoning, etc.

Edit... was thinking of Havertown.

(This post was last modified: 07-26-2020 07:26 AM by EverRespect.)
07-26-2020 07:24 AM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-26-2020 07:24 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(07-24-2020 12:33 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  I live in Rittenhouse. I'd love for you to tell me my neighborhood is a cesspool. There's at least one billionaire in my building that I'm aware of.

Media
Rose Valley
Swarthmore
Chadds Ford
Haverford Twp
Chester Heights
Middletown Twp
Marple
Wallingford
Newtown Twp
Radnor Twp
Ridley
Thornbury
Upper Providence

Forgot about Haverford. That's pretty nice and not ridiculously far from the city. That's probably where I'd live. Rest of those are either too far out for my liking or name doesn't ring a bell. Granted not sure what it costs, school zoning, etc.

Haverford and Havertown are completely different. Havertown is where my cousins grew up, and it's mostly very solidly middle class. Haverford is on the border of where I grew up and many of the houses are $700K+.

I guess there's Haverford and Haverford Twp which does include Havertown, but anyone there would just say Havertown.
(This post was last modified: 07-26-2020 01:28 PM by JHG722.)
07-26-2020 01:27 PM
ODUDJ96 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Monarchs!!!
(07-26-2020 01:27 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  
(07-26-2020 07:24 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(07-24-2020 04:29 PM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  Did you throw up a gang sign after you typed Rittenhouse?

(07-25-2020 08:51 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  Unless things have changed, it is not a good place place to live for the middle class either. Even the middle/lower-middle class suburbs were pretty slummy unless you go all the way out to King of Prussia, Chadds Ford or South Jersey and commute an hour.

Media
Rose Valley
Swarthmore
Chadds Ford
Haverford Twp
Chester Heights
Middletown Twp
Marple
Wallingford
Newtown Twp
Radnor Twp
Ridley
Thornbury
Upper Providence

Haverford and Havertown are completely different. Havertown is where my cousins grew up, and it's mostly very solidly middle class. Haverford is on the border of where I grew up and many of the houses are $700K+.

I guess there's Haverford and Haverford Twp which does include Havertown, but anyone there would just say Havertown.

How did you make your money? Son of privilege or did you earn it?
07-26-2020 07:39 PM
ODUDJ96 Offline
Banned

Also, why are you unsatisfied with your current position in life? So much so that you are slumming it on a Virginia sports team fan page. If you are as wealthy as you proclaim, then why do you waste your time here? Insecurity?
07-26-2020 07:44 PM
devyanks90 Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion

Folding@NCAAbbs
(07-23-2020 09:58 PM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  Please share where you live. It will not make philly any better. I know that city - and it is a cesspool. You know it, too. It’s why you take offense. The truth apparently hurts you.

Media
Rose Valley
Swarthmore
Chadds Ford
Haverford Twp
Chester Heights
Middletown Twp
Marple
Wallingford
Newtown Twp
Radnor Twp
Ridley
Thornbury
Upper Providence

Ridley has a wide range (my Mom's side of the family is from Ridley and Folcroft).

I also forgot Delco has Swiss Farms, which is a better convenience store invention than Wawa.
07-26-2020 10:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ODUODUODU Offline
1st String

Philly:
Good Local Beer
Big 5 Basketball
SS United States
Cheese Steaks

Lynchburg:
Good Traffic
Scenic Mountain Views
07-27-2020 11:23 AM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-26-2020 10:27 PM)devyanks90 Wrote:  
(07-24-2020 12:33 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  I live in Rittenhouse. I'd love for you to tell me my neighborhood is a cesspool. There's at least one billionaire in my building that I'm aware of.

Media
Rose Valley
Swarthmore
Chadds Ford
Haverford Twp
Chester Heights
Middletown Twp
Marple
Wallingford
Newtown Twp
Radnor Twp
Ridley
Thornbury
Upper Providence

Ridley has a wide range (my Mom's side of the family is from Ridley and Folcroft).

I also forgot Delco has Swiss Farms, which is a better convenience store invention than Wawa.

Yeah Ridley is one of our rivals. Can't say I've spent much time there though.

I used to drive by Swiss Farms to visit friends near one, but I'm not sure I've ever stopped there. Wawa went downhill after I graduated from HS. Most of the food is awful now.
07-27-2020 02:38 PM
CameramanJ Offline
Heisman

Yards Brewing > Apocalypse Ale Works
07-27-2020 05:03 PM
ODUDJ96 Offline
Banned

Geno’s > Pat’s
07-27-2020 08:22 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(07-27-2020 08:22 PM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  Geno’s > Pat’s
No way, but both are a 2AM snack. Mama's is the best for a meal.

(This post was last modified: 07-27-2020 08:54 PM by EverRespect.)
07-27-2020 08:53 PM
ODUDJ96 Offline
Banned

(07-27-2020 08:53 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  

I’m going to hit up Mama’s next time I’m in Philly.
07-28-2020 08:46 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(07-28-2020 08:46 PM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  
(07-27-2020 08:53 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  

I’m going to hit up Mama’s next time I’m in Philly.
Go on an empty stomach and if you have time to go twice, their meatball sub is also the best I've ever had.

07-29-2020 06:29 AM
ODUODUODU Offline
1st String

Pretty spectacular bridges in Philly... Nothing like 'em in Lynchburg...
07-29-2020 01:18 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

Lynchburg could have been so much better if their city planners actually took advantage of the James instead of building their back to it. It's been a while since I've visited so maybe things have changed, but when I was there it was as though they considered the river a bug and not a feature.

Despite living three hours away and always within a day's drive, I've somehow managed to spend exactly 20 minutes of my 46-year life in Philly, all on an Amtrak waiting for passengers to board or disembark. So ... they have a nice train station?
07-29-2020 02:14 PM
FearTheLion Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU Monarchs
Dropping this here for anyone that still wants to debate on whether LU's recruiting would suffer from Falwell's stance.

https://slate.com/culture/2020/08/libert...ports.html
08-03-2020 04:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.