Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Washington Redskins Rebrand
Bookmark and Share
Anders Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU, Boston Col
According to sources, it looks like Washington will announce the new name of the Redskins tomorrow (7/13).

The leading candidate appears to be the Redwolves but we will see. How do people feel about the new name or the entire idea to rename?

07-12-2020 09:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
RE: Washington Redskins Rebrand
I don’t believe they plan to announce any new mascot yet. Just that they’re “retiring” the old racial slur.
07-13-2020 05:31 AM
Dukester Offline

(07-13-2020 05:31 AM)HyperDuke Wrote:  I don’t believe they plan to announce any new mascot yet. Just that they’re “retiring” the old racial slur.

It was not "meant" as a slur to me, but will be missed......
07-13-2020 02:03 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

For sure. I keep seeing that refrain around. I don’t think any reasonable person is attacking supporters as racist for supporting the team. And I personally doubt almost any fan thinks of the slur when they say/hear it. But it remains a slur. For that reason, the change is happening. Those who view it as an attack on their fandom seem to be creating a strawman that doesn’t hold up under logical scrutiny.
07-13-2020 02:09 PM
Advertisement

Dukester Offline

(07-13-2020 02:09 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  For sure. I keep seeing that refrain around. I don’t think any reasonable person is attacking supporters as racist for supporting the team. And I personally doubt almost any fan thinks of the slur when they say/hear it. But it remains a slur. For that reason, the change is happening. Those who view it as an attack on their fandom seem to be creating a strawman that doesn’t hold up under logical scrutiny.

Understand why it needs to go, but to me the nickname Redskin has a meaning to me I will miss and likely won't be replaced with the new Wizard name. It was a name that bounded 100 years of Redskins fans. If you asked me as a fan what Redskin meant I would say a Proud, Brave Indian. It's what "I" Joe fan envision. Also sucks that most people that seem to have an issue with it are not actually actually of that decent, but people sticking up for the cause, or anti owner. That said, that is affects certain people means it should be changed.

At best, it will take some time to get over the change. Thankfully the Burgundy and Gold will continue. Or Marron and Black per Jim Zorn. 03-lmfao
07-14-2020 08:04 AM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

I appreciate your nuanced view on it. I know that’s very tough for big fans of the team to accept with this big change.
07-14-2020 09:29 AM
JMU08 Offline
1st String

So, the news today explains a lot of why they're trying to rebrand, crazy stuff.
07-16-2020 08:34 AM
Advertisement

Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
07-16-2020 03:11 PM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

I nominate the new name/mascot to be the “Washington Possums”...why? Because they’re always killed on the road and play dead at home.
07-16-2020 06:14 PM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-16-2020 06:14 PM)Longhorn Wrote:  I nominate the new name/mascot to be the “Washington Possums”...why? Because they’re always killed on the road and play dead at home.

Rimshot

Well played. And I'm a Washington Football Club fan.

Somewhere, poor ol' Jack Kent Cooke is rolling over in his grave and so sad to see how Danny Boy has run his once proud organization into the crapper. My hope is Danny Boy will somehow be pushed out of his majority stake, but likely will never happen. We are stuck with his losing and continual poor decision making.

My Washington Football Club (and for the record, I am supportive of the elimination of the Redskins name) needs a complete cleansing from top to bottom. Especially starting at the top. New ownership. New club name. Within 3 years we'll make so many improvements we will be able to go 6-10 and be outside of the top 4 draft picks. Woohoo!

01-lauramac2
07-16-2020 06:45 PM
Advertisement

Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

So, this afternoon the announcement comes out that they haven't made up their minds yet and will go by Washington Football Team until further notice. I think it should be Washington Team Football...or, for short...

...WTF

04-cheers
07-23-2020 11:49 AM
Dukester Offline

It's weird -

How can the name of an Animal be purchased as a trademark? It's not a name someone created and it's not like a red wolf want's money from the Redskins? Arkansas State owns the trademark to Red Wolfs, and now Washington can't use it unless they pay Arkansas State? Aren't there multiple Dukes mascots? Did anyone pay the others for that use?

Seems to me any team that want's to use an animal as their mascot should be able to. How many teams in the US are named "lions" or "tigers"? Thousands at all sorts of levels.

I don't really understand how people could take ownership of names of mascots....
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2020 12:21 PM by Dukester.)
07-24-2020 12:20 PM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
07-24-2020 01:58 PM
JMU85 Offline
All American

I Root For: The Dukes of JMU
Foreskins and be done with it. Still can be referred to as the Skins. Slightly offensive to the uncircumcised.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
07-25-2020 09:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.