ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

At work
jaybird44 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: old dominion,va
At work
I worked every day during the pandemic. I'm sure most of you have or since gone back to work? Tell me what makes athletes different than us? Does anyone honestly think athletes stay home every day and isolate? Just wondering. Thoughts?
07-09-2020 02:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Monarchist13 Offline

I Root For: ODU
RE: At work
(07-09-2020 02:42 PM)jaybird44 Wrote:  I worked every day during the pandemic. I'm sure most of you have or since gone back to work? Tell me what makes athletes different than us? Does anyone honestly think athletes stay home every day and isolate? Just wondering. Thoughts?

I've worked every day during the pandemic as well but I've been blessed to do it from the comfort of my home. Not sure when we'll go back into the office but it's likely not for a while.

Also, save for individual sports like cross country and golf, athletes are different because sports make it impossible to social distance. Unless you're tackling your sweaty coworkers, I'm not sure the two can be compared at all.
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2020 02:58 PM by Monarchist13.)
07-09-2020 02:53 PM
jaybird44 Offline
Special Teams

But are the athletes at home isolating every day???? And yes we are in close proximity. I wish I had the privilege of working from home. I think,this is just my opinion,we pick and choose the excuse of coronavirus. It's real, but does everyone do what they are supposed to do. Not our leaders or anyone. I hate to think that we are never gonna do any sports again until one of two things happen a vaccine or the money runs out. Then they will see what the man who has to work and leave the comfort of his home has to deal with. More power to you, brother. Keep safe.
07-09-2020 03:06 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

Im fortunate enough to be able to work from home as well, but that helps makes it safer for those who cant. Just like people working from home helps lessen traffic for those who cant (which we've also seen from this pandemic). And unless you are a proponent of universal basic income or continuing to just print checks for everyone, people have to work and make money to pay for their stuff. Athletics, as much as we love it, is not as high a priority as making a living, and therefore not worth as much risk.
07-09-2020 03:11 PM
jaybird44 Offline
Special Teams

I got you and understand this,but do you think these athletes are isolating and following every protcal, I think you are going to have to try. Like i said before, the money will run out. Do you go golfing,swimming, or even to grocery store. Yes, everything is a risk, but if a person dies in a car accident are you gonna quit driving. No. I know that sounds terrible, but I am trying to say there are ways to be safe and cautious and people are gonna congregate anyway,aka the beach, restaraunts, any public area. Can't hide forever. Understand your point of view but understand mine. It sounds like a lot of I don't want to even try going on. Love you brother.
07-09-2020 03:32 PM
jaybird44 Offline
Special Teams

The end of sports is here. Big 10 sec and acc all say no out of conference games. RIP sports we will miss you
07-09-2020 03:45 PM
Advertisement

ODUBB35 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
Part of my job requires maintenance on mountaintops, and I had plenty to do during quarantine. Built in social distancing.
07-09-2020 04:03 PM
jaybird44 Offline
Special Teams

One more thing Maryland can play Nebraska Miami can play Boston college but virginia cant play odu? Penn state can't play va tech? Give me a break!
07-09-2020 04:07 PM
AimHigher Offline
Heisman

Think we still have Campbell on speed dial from our fcs days?
07-09-2020 04:09 PM
bit_9 Offline

At work
I haven't been back to the office since March 23rd. But thankfully I'm in IT so we can do like 95% of our job remote. We're now starting to meander back in and have a couple people in the office a couple days a week as more and more start heading back in. We aren't making people come back as we technically never closed, we're dod contractors so we actually stayed pretty darn busy.

But. While I'm at the office nobody covered in sweat is going to run up and tackle me at the coffee pot and potentially spit all over me. So I can't draw a comparison to me being in the office to athletic activities.
07-09-2020 04:18 PM
jaybird44 Offline
Special Teams

Must be nice.
07-09-2020 04:23 PM
Advertisement

jaybird44 Offline
Special Teams

Love the Campbell comment
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2020 04:25 PM by jaybird44.)
07-09-2020 04:24 PM
Blue_Trombone Offline
Heisman

(07-09-2020 02:42 PM)jaybird44 Wrote:  I worked every day during the pandemic. I'm sure most of you have or since gone back to work? Tell me what makes athletes different than us? Does anyone honestly think athletes stay home every day and isolate? Just wondering. Thoughts?

Well, seeing how we're just in Phase 3 here in Virginia, it is still strongly recommended that telework be used unless you're an essential employee. But I don't consider college football to be essential work in my opinion.

Also, by the nature of college and how the NCAA/Conferences are set up, it is nigh impossible to get the same "bubble" strategies that the NWSL or NBA are using to keep their players safe. And even if we could, it is hard to ask players who are not getting paid to seclude themselves away from family and their homes for months so we can watch them throw a ball around.

So I would say it's less of them "thinking they're better" and more along the lines that the actual logistics to keep them and their families safe is basically impossible, unless we can get our transmission levels under control. And looking at how most of the US is facing a rising amount of cases over the past month, I wouldn't hold my breath.
07-09-2020 04:47 PM
Grommet Offline
Shamma Lamma Ding Dong

LOL. This ******* place.
07-09-2020 05:43 PM
mturn017 Online
ODU Homer

I’ve gone to work in a relatively safe office. Student athletes? They don’t get paid. Baseball seems to be going forward. NFL might but I feel like this fall will make the spring look like a walk in the park.
07-09-2020 07:10 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

At work
I'm still generally working from home, but we have been phasing in face to face conferences in the office. Likely seeing my first customer in person at the Pentagon next week to kick off a new contract.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
07-09-2020 08:50 PM
Advertisement

jaybird44 Offline
Special Teams

Still think today's athletes aren't spoiled listen to the nba players whine about their hotel rooms and food. For the people still in favor of canceling the season, take a look at what is happening at Maryland and Rutgers, they are discussing shutting football down altogether. Be safe, find a way to do something, football is becoming extinct right before our eyes.
07-11-2020 02:22 PM
AimHigher Offline
Heisman

(07-11-2020 02:22 PM)jaybird44 Wrote:  Still think today's athletes aren't spoiled listen to the nba players whine about their hotel rooms and food. For the people still in favor of canceling the season, take a look at what is happening at Maryland and Rutgers, they are discussing shutting football down altogether. Be safe, find a way to do something, football is becoming extinct right before our eyes.

I heard on sports radio today along with Maryland, Rutgers, UCLA and 12 other power 5 programs are on the verge of collapsing if there’s no fall sports/ money. If we can weather the storm we may find ourselves advancing to another conferences quickly.
07-11-2020 03:17 PM
bench jockey Offline
1st String

Huge "if"
07-11-2020 03:43 PM
Justanodufan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Odu
(07-11-2020 03:17 PM)AimHigher Wrote:  
(07-11-2020 02:22 PM)jaybird44 Wrote:  Still think today's athletes aren't spoiled listen to the nba players whine about their hotel rooms and food. For the people still in favor of canceling the season, take a look at what is happening at Maryland and Rutgers, they are discussing shutting football down altogether. Be safe, find a way to do something, football is becoming extinct right before our eyes.

I heard on sports radio today along with Maryland, Rutgers, UCLA and 12 other power 5 programs are on the verge of collapsing if there’s no fall sports/ money. If we can weather the storm we may find ourselves advancing to another conferences quickly.

Was this a reputable source or just some local radio show? And what were the other 12 universities?
07-11-2020 03:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.