ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT - Washington may change team name
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
RE: OT - Washington may change team name
(07-13-2020 06:13 AM)ODU2K1 Wrote:  As a lifelong Redskins fan and former season ticket holder, I'm terrified The Danny is going to botch this. There is zero rush to have a new name in place by the start of the season. It is much more important to get this right. There seems to be a sentiment that wants to shoehorn an R name in to keep HTTR alive. That is not a good enough reason. Warriors is fine but I don't think it distances the franchise enough from anything Native American related. I would much rather see the brain trust in Ashburnistan take a breath and do a full rebrand: name, colors, logo. You only have one chance to get this right. We don't need another Wizards in DC.

This has been in the works for months, if not years. This isn't just a new, rushed thing.
07-13-2020 10:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ODU2K1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Old Dominion
(07-13-2020 10:22 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(07-13-2020 06:13 AM)ODU2K1 Wrote:  As a lifelong Redskins fan and former season ticket holder, I'm terrified The Danny is going to botch this. There is zero rush to have a new name in place by the start of the season. It is much more important to get this right. There seems to be a sentiment that wants to shoehorn an R name in to keep HTTR alive. That is not a good enough reason. Warriors is fine but I don't think it distances the franchise enough from anything Native American related. I would much rather see the brain trust in Ashburnistan take a breath and do a full rebrand: name, colors, logo. You only have one chance to get this right. We don't need another Wizards in DC.

This has been in the works for months, if not years. This isn't just a new, rushed thing.

The only thing that worries more than The Danny rushing things and making a stupid decision is The Danny having time to think about things and making a really stupid decision.
07-13-2020 10:26 AM
FTW ODU Offline
1st String

Washington Wokes is perfectly appropriate for that city.
07-13-2020 11:57 AM
benny_t Online
1st String

Preferred team name is tied up in a trademark fight.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
07-13-2020 05:18 PM
benny_t Online
1st String

https://outline.com/CdyCuU

Anyone think that Snyder is forced to sell like Richrdson and the Panthers?

07-16-2020 05:49 PM
ODU2K1 Offline
1st String

(07-16-2020 05:49 PM)benny_t Wrote:  https://outline.com/CdyCuU

I really hope so. I don’t think it will be enough. Had he been directly linked to the harassment yes, but as it stands there seems to be enough separation for him to hold on to the team. I really hope I’m wrong. The culture he has allowed to fester in the front office is nothing short of toxic.
07-16-2020 07:58 PM
benny_t Online
1st String

(07-16-2020 08:43 PM)smudge12 Wrote:  Snyder knew his organization trafficked and pimped their cheerleaders and nothing happened, and that came to light at the height of the #metoo movement.

If he can survive human trafficking, he'll probably survive this. I really hope I'm wrong though.

Frankly I'm surprised he's even changing the Redskins name, but money talks.
I bet the new name comes out tomorrow to push the story to the backburner.

07-16-2020 09:36 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I wish he would but I don't think that is enough to force Snyder out.

And if the owner got together and tried to force him out because top personnel were aying these things to women, there will be a lot of owners on the chopping block. Its obviously not right but common.
07-17-2020 08:26 AM
benny_t Online
1st String

(07-17-2020 08:26 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  

I wish he would but I don't think that is enough to force Snyder out.

And if the owner got together and tried to force him out because top personnel were aying these things to women, there will be a lot of owners on the chopping block. Its obviously not right but common.

I agree. Jerry Richardson was directly involved with the sexual harassment and Snyder isn't. He can claim ignorance and say they are going to change, pay his fine and be done with it. The way reporters were hyping the story before it released made it seem like it was going to be a lot more involved. Not that 15 women (and probably way more) were sexually harassed is minor but pretty much the same thing happened with the Mavs a couple years ago and nothing happened to them either.
07-17-2020 09:20 AM
bench jockey Offline
1st String

The people doing the reporting hyped NOTHING. It was low lifes on social media, purporting to know what was going on, who made the bizarre claims. . . . And don't be surprised if the stories aren't done yet.
07-17-2020 09:34 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I dont think its done yet either.

The people hyping it were reporters but Im not sure they were with the WaPo (who is owned by Bezos, who wants to buy the Skins). If you put out all those teasers, its gonna be tough to love up to the hype.
07-17-2020 10:18 AM
benny_t Online
1st String

(07-17-2020 10:18 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  I dont think its done yet either.

The people hyping it were reporters but Im not sure they were with the WaPo (who is owned by Bezos, who wants to buy the Skins). If you put out all those teasers, its gonna be tough to love up to the hype.

It wasn't the reporters from WaPo but other outlets around DC. Then the internet got a hold of it and did what the internet does.
07-17-2020 10:45 AM
ODU2K1 Offline
1st String

(07-17-2020 09:34 AM)bench jockey Wrote:  The people doing the reporting hyped NOTHING. It was low lifes on social media, purporting to know what was going on, who made the bizarre claims. . . . And don't be surprised if the stories aren't done yet.

It was other DC and national media members that started talking about the story. One of them, Jason LaConfora, is the former Skins beat writer for the WaPo. I'm not sure I would call them social media lowlifes. I do agree that I think there is more there. I dare say there was more that the WaPo would have loved to include in the article that just dropped but could not get the necessary confirmation and or clearance from their legal department. Just because something is true does not mean The Danny isn't going to sue.

What is troubling is this article drops yesterday combined with the cheerleader article the New York Times had two years ago (LINK) go to prove a pattern. If this was a college athletic department we were talking about, we would be describing a clear lack of institutional control.
07-17-2020 11:49 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.