Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Transfer portal
Bookmark and Share
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: Transfer portal
(05-20-2021 11:01 PM)bearcat54 Wrote:  
(05-18-2021 01:54 PM)dsquare Wrote:  I like this pickup. Kid's career block numbers quite a bit better than Brooks and he's a solid ft shooter for a bid kid. Seems from interviews he's a good team guy as well. Wish we had him for more than a year, but i think he's done a solid job of getting the roster to a point to compete immediately. Kid has good game against Florida and Uk last year s as well. He's faced really good competition his 4 years.

UC has an abundance of guards now. Let's look for another inside player.

I don’t think we need anyone unless an alpha, high-scoring type falls into our lap. We only have 80 minutes to give at the 4 and 5. I figure Ado, Koval, and Ody will take up 60-65 of those minutes, with some combination of Lakhin, Hensley, and Davenport taking the rest.

05-21-2021 10:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bearcatbdub Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The 'Cats! duh!
(05-21-2021 09:58 AM)RuckleSt Wrote:  
(05-21-2021 09:08 AM)Bearcatbdub Wrote:  Apparently Koval has more career blocked shots than Kmart.

It sounds like we are going from having basically no rim protection, to having perhaps two of the best shot blockers in the league.

Well hopefully we don’t give up so many offensive rebounds to Houston, but if we do… we can put it right back in their faces.

I’m feeling a starting 5 of Ado, Ody, Davenport, MAW, and DJJ. Hopefully all of these guys will be able to find a role and contribute.

05-21-2021 11:58 AM
RealDeal Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
(05-21-2021 11:58 AM)Bearcatbdub Wrote:  I’m feeling a starting 5 of Ado, Ody, Davenport, MAW, and DJJ. Hopefully all of these guys will be able to find a role and contribute.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't hink that Ado or Ody have ever attempted a 3. Shooting is too much of a part of the current game to play 2 non-shooters together. I also think that Davenport is not skilled enough to play a lot of 3. I think he's much more of an advantage stretching our the opposing team's 4.

05-21-2021 12:40 PM
Bearcatbdub Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The 'Cats! duh!
(05-21-2021 12:40 PM)RealDeal Wrote:  
(05-21-2021 11:58 AM)Bearcatbdub Wrote:  I’m feeling a starting 5 of Ado, Ody, Davenport, MAW, and DJJ. Hopefully all of these guys will be able to find a role and contribute.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't hink that Ado or Ody have ever attempted a 3. Shooting is too much of a part of the current game to play 2 non-shooters together. I also think that Davenport is not skilled enough to play a lot of 3. I think he's much more of an advantage stretching our the opposing team's 4.

Sure. It’s probably a lineup that will be dictated by matchups, but I think you will see ody/ado or koval/ody on the floor a lot together. I don’t think those 3 guys will all be playing 5 all the time. It might end up Koval/JD/Newman/Maw/DJJ. I don’t necessarily think you need your frontcourt guys to be stretching the floor all the time.

Not trying to turn this into a Bearchatter lineup thread aholes, i know what you are thinking…

05-21-2021 02:57 PM
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

We will definitely see a lot of Ody at the 4 and Koval at the 5, as well as Davenport at the 4 and Ado at the 5. That will allow us to have 4 guys on the floor who can shoot from deep, assuming DDJ and Saunders find their stroke.

05-21-2021 05:07 PM
bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
(05-21-2021 05:07 PM)robertfoshizzle Wrote:  We will definitely see a lot of Ody at the 4 and Koval at the 5, as well as Davenport at the 4 and Ado at the 5. That will allow us to have 4 guys on the floor who can shoot from deep, assuming DDJ and Saunders find their stroke.

We're going to have real roster flexibility.

05-21-2021 05:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

ESPN has a nice long article on how the transfer portal has led to more tampering:

Tampering has arrived in college football, and it looks like NBA free agency

It's got some great quotes from Fickell:

Quote:At least some coaches are coming to the realization that they can't complain about having to continually recruit half their roster to guard against them transferring without wondering why half their roster might want to leave in the first place.

Cincinnati coach Luke Fickell said that every time they lose a player to the portal, it's a reminder of the importance of relationships.

"What we've always believed, but we sometimes lose sight of, is that you have to continually build your relationship with a kid," he said. "I've always done a great job of that with the kids that are playing, but I've done a bad job in all my days of coaching, I think, of kids who might not be the seven to eight [top] linebackers. ... You've got those redshirted kids and guys on the scout team and you said, 'Hey, that's a part of life. I'll see you in six months when the season ends.' And it's been a reminder to us that, for goodness' sakes, we weren't doing it right 15-20 years ago spending enough time to make sure we're building that relationship."

Arkansas coach Sam Pittman echoed that sentiment, saying that, "If losing a starter bothers you more than losing someone who hasn't played much, you're being pretty selfish."

05-24-2021 12:19 PM
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

(05-21-2021 05:48 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  
(05-21-2021 05:07 PM)robertfoshizzle Wrote:  We will definitely see a lot of Ody at the 4 and Koval at the 5, as well as Davenport at the 4 and Ado at the 5. That will allow us to have 4 guys on the floor who can shoot from deep, assuming DDJ and Saunders find their stroke.

We're going to have real roster flexibility.

We're a solid 2 deep at every position. We can play big or small, and while I wouldn't describe our roster as a great 3-point shooting team, I think Davenport, Madsen, MAW, McGinnis, and Koval should all be able to shoot the deep ball at a respectable clip. We also have the luxury of having 3 guys who have played significant minutes at point guard for us.

I was previously concerned about the lack of a go-to scorer, but when I look at our depth and versatility, as well as the bevy of good defenders we have at our disposal, I have no doubt we have enough talent to make the tournament. It all comes down to how quickly a first-year coach and half a roster of new faces can gel.

05-24-2021 12:21 PM
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

(05-24-2021 12:19 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  ESPN has a nice long article on how the transfer portal has led to more tampering:

Tampering has arrived in college football, and it looks like NBA free agency

It's got some great quotes from Fickell:

Quote:At least some coaches are coming to the realization that they can't complain about having to continually recruit half their roster to guard against them transferring without wondering why half their roster might want to leave in the first place.

Cincinnati coach Luke Fickell said that every time they lose a player to the portal, it's a reminder of the importance of relationships.

"What we've always believed, but we sometimes lose sight of, is that you have to continually build your relationship with a kid," he said. "I've always done a great job of that with the kids that are playing, but I've done a bad job in all my days of coaching, I think, of kids who might not be the seven to eight [top] linebackers. ... You've got those redshirted kids and guys on the scout team and you said, 'Hey, that's a part of life. I'll see you in six months when the season ends.' And it's been a reminder to us that, for goodness' sakes, we weren't doing it right 15-20 years ago spending enough time to make sure we're building that relationship."

Arkansas coach Sam Pittman echoed that sentiment, saying that, "If losing a starter bothers you more than losing someone who hasn't played much, you're being pretty selfish."

I love that Luke is a guy who admits his faults and actively works to improve them. I'll take an imperfect coach with self-awareness over the guy who never admits when he's wrong every day of the week. I'm seeing those same traits from the clips I've heard out of Wes as well.

05-24-2021 12:23 PM
The Big O Offline
Special Teams

Hmmmm

06-29-2021 10:03 AM
eroc Online
Heisman

I Root For: UC, Liverpool
(06-29-2021 10:03 AM)The Big O Wrote:  Hmmmm

Best of luck to him. Hopefully he goes out of conference. That said, i'm shocked he hasn't tried to go pro overseas.

06-29-2021 10:31 AM
cincy11 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: The Sun
I’ve always thought it made a lot of sense for Keith to play another year in college. He’s not going to make the NBA now & the numbers don’t reflect how tough last year was for him. Who knows what could happen if he finds the right team/fit… Regardless, I wish him the best. Seems like a great dude & Brannen sure didn’t do him any favors.

06-29-2021 11:27 AM
dsquare Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy
Might be a hedge if he doesn't land some sort of pro deal overseas? I think you have until 7/1 to enter the portal if I recall. [/b][/i]

06-29-2021 01:29 PM
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

Depending on their roster situation, I could see him going to Iona to play for Rick Pitino. He would put up some big numbers in a lesser conference and play for a big-time coach he has at least an indirect connection with through Mick. I know Rick was at practice after he left Louisville as well, so I'm sure they've met.

06-29-2021 01:44 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

(06-29-2021 01:44 PM)robertfoshizzle Wrote:  Depending on their roster situation, I could see him going to Iona to play for Rick Pitino. He would put up some big numbers in a lesser conference and play for a big-time coach he has at least an indirect connection with through Mick. I know Rick was at practice after he left Louisville as well, so I'm sure they've met.

Iona should have room. They lost 5 to the transfer portal, and have 5 coming in (3 in the transfer portal and 2 freshmen). 3 of their starters were seniors, and I'd have to imagine at least one of them would graduate.

06-29-2021 03:21 PM
mptnstr@44 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Nati Bearcats
weird timing on his entering the portal.
guessing it is a hedge to counter no pro offers.

06-29-2021 05:44 PM
Bear Catlett Online
Hall of Famer

Poor Keith.

He's going to be slapping his forehead when we're good next year.

06-29-2021 05:48 PM
rath v2.0 Online
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Poor Keith. He should have bolted before last season rather than deal with that clown for another year.

I hope he kills it wherever he ends up.

06-29-2021 09:00 PM
QSECOFR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: CCM
With all of the criticism Keith took from fans, I don’t blame him for not returning. It wasn’t just fans on this board, it was on Twitter, instagram, FB, etc. He got the double bonus last year of taking the lion’s share of the ire expressed by fans along with putting up with a demented coach who had a Messiah Complex.

I hope Keith is wildly successful and finds everything he is looking for. By all accounts, he is good person and a solid citizen.

06-29-2021 09:16 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
(06-29-2021 09:16 PM)QSECOFR Wrote:  With all of the criticism Keith took from fans, I don’t blame him for not returning. It wasn’t just fans on this board, it was on Twitter, instagram, FB, etc. He got the double bonus last year of taking the lion’s share of the ire expressed by fans along with putting up with a demented coach who had a Messiah Complex.

I hope Keith is wildly successful and finds everything he is looking for. By all accounts, he is good person and a solid citizen.

04-bow

06-29-2021 09:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.