Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

JMU Athletic Officials Address Injustices, National Unrest
Bookmark and Share
Middle-aged-Duke Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: JMU
Big Grin JMU Athletic Officials Address Injustices, National Unrest
The following quotes from Jeff Bourne, Curt Cignetti and Mark Byington can be found on Facebook, JMUsports.com and Twitter and from
https://www.dnronline.com/sports/jmu-ath...59cc8.html

Jeff Bourne:
“The violent, hate-driven events of the past week are deplorable,” Bourne’s statement read in part. “I join so many others who have spoken out in denouncing the terrible acts of racial injustice occurring in our country. Hostility in the form of racism, white supremacy, police brutality and social injustice cannot be tolerated. We must act and be part of the change, and we must not be coerced by voices and forces that celebrate divisiveness. JMU Athletics supports its student-athletes, coaches and staff of every color and creed and celebrates every individual.”

“Occasionally, I am asked why JMU (and society at large, for that matter) places such value on athletics,” Bourne said. “With so many issues in the world and so many other priorities shouldn’t we be focusing our time and energy other places. After all, it’s just a game.

“Alternatively, I would argues that through athletics we are part of the solution. At James Madison, we often talk about student-athlete experiences and the intrinsic values that are nurtured in participation in athletics. While we certainly celebrate success and on-field achievements, the true celebration occurs when individuals grow and prepare to be contributing members of society. We are steadfastly committed to this purpose for intercollegiate athletics.”

JMU football coach Curt Cignetti: “Today, I pray for my players and their families. I pray for all people of color, that they be treated with trust and respect. I pray for love, not hate, good not evil, light not darkness.”

Mark Byington tweeted:
“I have joined so many of you in watching what has happened in America this week, throughout my lifetime, and before I was born,” Byington wrote. “It has filled me with outrage and a sense of helplessness. I’m in a position of leadership where I lead young men, many of whom have lived a life of suffering injustices and prejudices like George Floyd, as well as countless others. I can’t know the difficulty that they face on a regular basis, but I can only pray that we find the answers and remedies to change our country. That starts with ALL of us!”

And we are not even half way through 2020 yet!
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2020 09:06 PM by Middle-aged-Duke.)
06-01-2020 08:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
RE: JMU Athletic Officials Address Injustices, National Unrest
These are good, respectful statements by JMU leaders. I hope that we can refrain from turning this thread into yet another politicized argument here. That would serve no good purpose in these difficult times.
06-01-2020 09:18 PM
Anders Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU, Boston Col
(06-01-2020 09:18 PM)JMURocks Wrote:  These are good, respectful statements by JMU leaders. I hope that we can refrain from turning this thread into yet another politicized argument here. That would serve no good purpose in these difficult times.

+1
06-01-2020 09:23 PM
JMaddy Offline
All American

(06-01-2020 09:23 PM)Anders Wrote:  
(06-01-2020 09:18 PM)JMURocks Wrote:  These are good, respectful statements by JMU leaders. I hope that we can refrain from turning this thread into yet another politicized argument here. That would serve no good purpose in these difficult times.

+1

(This post was last modified: 06-01-2020 10:09 PM by JMaddy.)
06-01-2020 10:09 PM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
I'm very happy to see many sources nationwide speaking up. This is much needed national dialogue, even if it's difficult.
06-02-2020 10:54 AM
RamDawg Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU VCU
JMU football coach Curt Cignetti: “Today, I pray for my players and their families. I pray for all people of color, that they be treated with trust and respect. I pray for love, not hate, good not evil, light not darkness.”

Maybe I'm being overly sensitive but I would rather go with "...I pray for all people, regardless of color, that we all treat each other with mutual trust and respect.
06-02-2020 02:09 PM
Advertisement

HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

Because it’s not about all people right now. Insert analogy about not all houses needing the fire department to spray water on them, just the ones on fire.
06-02-2020 02:12 PM
Dukester Offline

I appreciate and understand what Cig was saying. I agree with what he said, and how he said it.
06-02-2020 02:14 PM
JMU08 Offline
1st String

(06-02-2020 02:09 PM)RamDawg Wrote:  JMU football coach Curt Cignetti: “Today, I pray for my players and their families. I pray for all people of color, that they be treated with trust and respect. I pray for love, not hate, good not evil, light not darkness.”

Maybe I'm being overly sensitive but I would rather go with "...I pray for all people, regardless of color, that we all treat each other with mutual trust and respect.

If someone said, "support our troops", would you say they should say "support everyone". Not trying to bash you. Just have a different perspective on this.
06-02-2020 02:32 PM
Halz87 Offline
1st String

(06-02-2020 02:12 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  Because it’s not about all people right now. Insert analogy about not all houses needing the fire department to spray water on them, just the ones on fire.

good job
06-02-2020 03:36 PM
Dukester Offline

(06-02-2020 02:32 PM)JMU08 Wrote:  
(06-02-2020 02:09 PM)RamDawg Wrote:  JMU football coach Curt Cignetti: “Today, I pray for my players and their families. I pray for all people of color, that they be treated with trust and respect. I pray for love, not hate, good not evil, light not darkness.”

If someone said, "support our troops", would you say they should say "support everyone". Not trying to bash you. Just have a different perspective on this.

If someone said support Breast Cancer awareness - my response would not be "support all cancer".
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2020 03:59 PM by Dukester.)
06-02-2020 03:58 PM
Advertisement

Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-02-2020 03:58 PM)Dukester Wrote:  If someone said support Breast Cancer awareness - my response would not be "support all cancer".

I don't know why, but this random bit of fun from ol' George Carlin (GRHS!) popped up in my head...

"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, then what do freedom fighters fight?"

04-cheers

(fun with words...I miss George...*SIGH*)
06-02-2020 04:07 PM
Purple Offline
Heisman

Yes. There is no evidence that I have seen that indicates race had anything to do with it. Abuse of power by police officers is totally uncalled for, but stoking the fires of racism does not help.

And, I don't want this to be a political issue. It isn't. It is purely social. Our police MUST do better.
06-02-2020 04:16 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

That statement would be laughable if it wasn’t so disgusting and sad.
06-02-2020 04:25 PM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
(06-02-2020 04:16 PM)Purple Wrote:  

Yes. There is no evidence that I have seen that indicates race had anything to do with it. Abuse of power by police officers is totally uncalled for, but stoking the fires of racism does not help.

And, I don't want this to be a political issue. It isn't. It is purely social. Our police MUST do better.

I think most posters would really appreciate it you kept your posts focused on athletics.
06-02-2020 04:28 PM
Purple Offline
Heisman

(06-02-2020 04:28 PM)JMU2004 Wrote:  
(06-02-2020 04:16 PM)Purple Wrote:  

I think most posters would really appreciate it you kept your posts focused on athletics.

I see. So, I should be excluded from participating in discussions on this board?
06-02-2020 04:31 PM
Advertisement

bjk3047 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU DUKES.
Discussing this issue with nuance and tact: go for it.

Claiming this issue has nothing to do with race: stick to sports, because this is clearly not the forum for you. Please and thank you.
06-02-2020 04:41 PM
Purple Offline
Heisman

Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison apparently agrees with me. He is prosecuting the case agaist Officer Derek Chauvin himself. Chauvin has been charged with third-degree murder, which is basically negligent homicide, and manslaughter. The reason being that there is no evidence of intent. If there was any evidence of intent and racism, the charge would not only have been first-degree murder, but also a hate crime. Ellison is smarter than to overcharge Chauvin, in which case he would walk. He wants to put Chauvin in jail and he knows how to charge him to do that.

But, hang on, you may get your wish yet. There are those clamoring that the charge be increased to murder in the first degree. We will see how Ellison responds. He knows that Chauvin goes to prison on the current charge, where his life expectancy will be less than 24 hours. He can't prove intent, so a jury could acquit Chauvin of first-degree murder and make him a free man.

But, all of that aside, please, show me the evidence of racism. Go ahead, I have all week.
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2020 05:26 PM by Purple.)
06-02-2020 05:04 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

Systemic racism isn’t going to be proven by one case. That’s why it’s systemic.

Also, what a weak concept. If this police officer isn’t guilty of a hate crime, then systemic racism isn’t real!
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2020 05:08 PM by HyperDuke.)
06-02-2020 05:07 PM
Purple Offline
Heisman

(06-02-2020 05:07 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  Systemic racism isn’t going to be proven by one case. That’s why it’s systemic.

Also, what a weak concept. If this police officer isn’t guilty of a hate crime, then systemic racism isn’t real!

Excuse me, we are talking about ONE case! The statements by Bourne, Cig, et al, insinuating racism is in reference to the George Floyd case.

And, all I said is that I don't believe there was racism in this particular case. And, for that, I was told that I shouldn't be allowed to discuss non-sports issues on this board. Then, you said my opinion is "disgusting and sad."

Now you want to move the goalpost and claim that you were referring to "systemic" racism, not just this "one case" while the whole discussion has been about this "one case."
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2020 05:36 PM by Purple.)
06-02-2020 05:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.