UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SBR: UAH athletics
BlazerGreen Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Goals
RE: SBR: UAH athletics
(05-25-2020 08:54 PM)blazers9911 Wrote:  They are a great basketball program, and men’s soccer is solid. I doubt they’d shut athletics down.

I also don’t see UAB soccer being cut. Soccer is much cheaper to support than hockey.

We have great soccer facilities now and a lot of tradition on the men's side. If a team sport has to go, I nominate baseball. Not much history of success and their facility is subpar.
05-25-2020 08:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BlazerGreen Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Goals
Hide ya kids, hide ya wife, hide ya men's non-revenue sports:

Brett McMurphy
@Brett_McMurphy
Appalachian State is eliminating men’s soccer, men’s tennis & men’s indoor track & field, sources told @Stadium
1:56 PM · May 26, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
05-26-2020 06:18 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
(05-25-2020 08:59 PM)BlazerGreen Wrote:  
(05-25-2020 08:54 PM)blazers9911 Wrote:  They are a great basketball program, and men’s soccer is solid. I doubt they’d shut athletics down.

I also don’t see UAB soccer being cut. Soccer is much cheaper to support than hockey.

We have great soccer facilities now and a lot of tradition on the men's side. If a team sport has to go, I nominate baseball. Not much history of success and their facility is subpar.

You have stumbled into an agreement with FBHC Paul Bryant who suggested in the 1970s that college baseball should be terminated when several Bama football recruits chose to play baseball in the spring &/or were lured into the MLB draft instead of playing college football.

We may be seeing the down turn of non revenue sports across the collegiate spectrum reducing male and female sport offerings in this category. Costs continue to rise while revenue for such sports remains difficult to raise.
(This post was last modified: 05-27-2020 02:22 PM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
05-26-2020 09:43 PM
C-Finder Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
(05-26-2020 09:43 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  
(05-25-2020 08:59 PM)BlazerGreen Wrote:  

You have stumbled into an agreement with FBHC Paul Bryant who suggested in the 1970s that college baseball should be terminated when several Bama football recruits those to play baseball in the spring &/or were lured into the MLB draft instead of playing college football.

We may be seeing the down turn of non revenue sports across the collegiate spectrum reducing male and female sport offerings in this category. Costs continue to rise while revenue for such sports remains difficult to raise.

Like father like son07-coffee3
05-27-2020 12:21 AM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
(05-24-2020 03:44 PM)UAB Schnauzer Wrote:  saving hockey last time was the payoff for hanging UAB out to dry during the last fight. somehow I do not think there will be any support for their cause coming from Birmingham area legislatures

One of the slimiest political acts I've ever witnessed. Roger Smitherman was heroic that day, fighting for UAB armed only with harsh words and a glass of water. When we carve our Mt. Blazermore, he needs to be on there with his water glass.

Remember the story about the frog and the scorpion? I bet they do in Huntsville.
05-27-2020 01:23 AM
uabbean Offline
1st String

I Root For:
UAH can save hockey but they must raise $ 750,000 from private sources.(in a hurry)

https://www.al.com/news/2020/05/uah-spel...grams.html

In the long term hockey will not viable being ~ 1,000 miles from any other teams without outside fundraising to support it.
A division 2 commuter school usually does not have that much resources available. They were supposed to have raised over 1.5 million at the restart. I wonder if not fulfilled as promised or if already been all used up
05-27-2020 10:39 AM
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-27-2020 01:23 AM)58-56 Wrote:  
(05-24-2020 03:44 PM)UAB Schnauzer Wrote:  saving hockey last time was the payoff for hanging UAB out to dry during the last fight. somehow I do not think there will be any support for their cause coming from Birmingham area legislatures

One of the slimiest political acts I've ever witnessed. Roger Smitherman was heroic that day, fighting for UAB armed only with harsh words and a glass of water. When we carve our Mt. Blazermore, he needs to be on there with his water glass.

Remember the story about the frog and the scorpion? I bet they do in Huntsville.

They also got $2M from Bryant Bank for their Nursing school in the midst of the #FreeUAB efforts after the FB shutdown. Supposedly, they and their legislative reps were in our corner until that donation.
05-27-2020 03:50 PM
UAB Schnauzer Offline
1st String

(05-27-2020 03:50 PM)WesternBlazer Wrote:  

They also got $2M from Bryant Bank for their Nursing school in the midst of the #FreeUAB efforts after the FB shutdown. Supposedly, they and their legislative reps were in our corner until that donation.

And the mayor’s cousin became AD at UAT iirc
05-27-2020 04:17 PM
C-Finder Offline
All American

UAH hockey is saved!
https://www.al.com/news/2020/05/uah-anno...ogram.html
#TheReturnonIce

Hopefully tennis will be saved as well.
05-30-2020 05:01 AM
Marathon Blazer Offline
Heisman

(05-30-2020 05:01 AM)C-Finder Wrote:  https://www.al.com/news/2020/05/uah-anno...ogram.html
#TheReturnonIce

Tennis program has raised just $21,000 out of the $150,000 needed by June 5th. Hope that campaign takes off next week. https://www.gofundme.com/f/uah-tennis-sa...he-program
05-30-2020 10:07 PM
blazr Away
Hall of Famer

SBR: UAH athletics
Is anyone else concerned with a precedent being set here on how the BOT handles sports programs it wants to kill?

BOT: We’re cutting the sport because it loses money
Public: We raised some money!
BOT: Ok, the program has our blessing to continue. See? We were just worried about money.

Meanwhile, the BOT wiped a sport off the budget and, if they pull the plug again, they can say, “Hey, we gave the program back and obviously not enough people were interested enough to keep it alive.”

And other System/State Boards of Trustees/Regents with G5 programs under their thumb are making notes in their playbooks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
06-02-2020 03:08 AM
C-Finder Offline
All American

(06-02-2020 03:08 AM)blazr Wrote:  Is anyone else concerned with a precedent being set here on how the BOT handles sports programs it wants to kill?

BOT: Ok, the program has our blessing to continue. See? We were just worried about money.

Meanwhile, the BOT wiped a sport off the budget and, if they pull the plug again, they can say, “Hey, we gave the program back and obviously not enough people were interested enough to keep it alive.”

And other System/State Boards of Trustees/Regents with G5 programs under their thumb are making notes in their playbooks.

The P5 Board of Trustees be like
[Image: full?d=1480800137]
06-02-2020 06:09 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
We must remain vigilant
06-02-2020 07:29 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
C-Finder Offline
All American

(05-30-2020 10:07 PM)Marathon Blazer Wrote:  
(05-30-2020 05:01 AM)C-Finder Wrote:  https://www.al.com/news/2020/05/uah-anno...ogram.html
#TheReturnonIce

Tennis program has raised just $21,000 out of the $150,000 needed by June 5th. Hope that campaign takes off next week. https://www.gofundme.com/f/uah-tennis-sa...he-program

Just donated $10 04-rock
06-02-2020 09:00 AM
Auburn_Blazer Offline
1st String

I Root For: Auburn & UAB
(06-02-2020 03:08 AM)blazr Wrote:  Is anyone else concerned with a precedent being set here on how the BOT handles sports programs it wants to kill?

This is the 2nd time they've tried this in this decade alone for this very sport. It's insane how the AL BoT seems to be the only one in the country trying to wipe off high visibility sports.
06-02-2020 11:52 AM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

BlazerTalk Award
(05-27-2020 04:17 PM)UAB Schnauzer Wrote:  
(05-27-2020 03:50 PM)WesternBlazer Wrote:  

And the mayor’s cousin became AD at UAT iirc

To be fair to the Battle family, it has a history of athletic leadership beginning with Bill Battle, Sr. for whom the gym at BSC is named. I took a PE course from him in 1959 while BB Jr wore #88 for Bama (he was a WEHS grad).
06-02-2020 01:32 PM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
(06-02-2020 11:52 AM)Auburn_Blazer Wrote:  

This is the 2nd time they've tried this in this decade alone for this very sport. It's insane how the AL BoT seems to be the only one in the country trying to wipe off high visibility sports.

I have a degree from UAH and probably care more about it than most on this board because of that and where I live. This is going to be an ongoing problem unless UAH finds ways to continuously fund this program. It sucks because the program was once great, but it has not been good in some time, and on top of that the program is literally isolated geographically. I wish nothing but the best for the program, but this is not an issue that will go away unless the south randomly decides to sponsor hockey everywhere, or the program gets a major donor to come in and give it the funding it needs to move forward. Imagine trying to recruit a Canadian to Alabama, and then on top of that major hurdle having to convince him no, the program is not at risk of being shut down in the next 3-5 years.
06-02-2020 02:37 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

BlazerTalk Award
Due to the specialized facility and equipment ice hockey requires, how many localities with such capability exist in the southeastern states? The BJCC and the Pelham Center are the only ones I know of locally. How common are they across this region?
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2020 11:50 AM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
06-03-2020 11:49 AM
Auburn_Blazer Offline
1st String

I Root For: Auburn & UAB
(06-02-2020 02:37 PM)blazers9911 Wrote:  
(06-02-2020 11:52 AM)Auburn_Blazer Wrote:  

I have a degree from UAH and probably care more about it than most on this board because of that and where I live. This is going to be an ongoing problem unless UAH finds ways to continuously fund this program. It sucks because the program was once great, but it has not been good in some time, and on top of that the program is literally isolated geographically. I wish nothing but the best for the program, but this is not an issue that will go away unless the south randomly decides to sponsor hockey everywhere, or the program gets a major donor to come in and give it the funding it needs to move forward. Imagine trying to recruit a Canadian to Alabama, and then on top of that major hurdle having to convince him no, the program is not at risk of being shut down in the next 3-5 years.

This seems like what's really going to kill the program. The President or AD (can't remember which) kept harping on the fact that too many donations fell through the last time around - something I think isn't a good look for the future of the program.
06-03-2020 12:37 PM
C-Finder Offline
All American

(06-03-2020 11:49 AM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  Due to the specialized facility and equipment ice hockey requires, how many localities with such capability exist in the southeastern states? The BJCC and the Pelham Center are the only ones I know of locally. How common are they across this region?

Outside of NHL/minor league arenas not much unfortunately. Ice skating and hockey are not common in the deep South.

The only other ice rink I know of is inside of a mall in Montgomery.
06-03-2020 01:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.