Alabama-Huntsville dropping hockey
Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
RE: Alabama-Huntsville dropping hockey
(05-31-2020 04:39 AM)NoDak Wrote:  
(05-30-2020 11:12 AM)ccd494 Wrote:  
(05-30-2020 08:15 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(05-30-2020 05:29 AM)ccd494 Wrote:  Oh! I didn’t realize that in the grips of the greatest economic crisis our nation has faced in nearly a century that High Point had successfully found the ONE BILLION DOLLARS that was a prerequisite to starting a team and building an arena. Good for them!

HAt tip to:
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/h...a.2688565/ who linked to :
High Point Announces 10 Year Growth Plan.

Money quote:
Quote:$300 million in new construction, including a new library, academic building, admissions center and Division I ice hockey facility.

The press release is from September 2019, and there are no details about what gets built when, etc. So the plan is, IMO, very much at risk of being overtaken by financial events. (Much like UAH's arena plan, or any big capital construction project right now.)

High Point club hockey plays a roster of mostly high-profile southern college programs. https://highpointclubsports.com/sports/c...y/schedule

That was sarcasm. High Point has as much chance of raising $1B and doing all those things as NoDak getting his two FBS conferences announced today.

High Point Hockey is not happening.
CCD is around numbrs that a have heard that has nevey been hearn heRd DI hockey. UND built is 1OO million area for less that 10% of this cost. It's a drunken fishenmen estatimes. High Point has been been a master at using data to grow in almost every way.

You might want to post when you're less of a drunken fishenmen.
05-31-2020 08:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(05-31-2020 04:39 AM)NoDak Wrote:  CCD is around numbrs that a have heard that has nevey been hearn heRd DI hockey. UND built is 1OO million area for less that 10% of this cost. It's a drunken fishenmen estatimes. High Point has been been a master at using data to grow in almost every way.

Can you say that again? Your phone is having a stroke again.

(05-31-2020 08:10 AM)puck swami Wrote:  My niece goes to High Point. The $1 Billion number is a 10-year fundraising goal which includes about $700 Million in scholarships, a new library, admissions center and other facilities besides a hockey arena.

http://www.highpoint.edu/blog/2019/09/hp...nvestment/

In short, it will be while before we see Purple Panthers skating in D-I hockey.

The construction number given was $300M. But if, as CCD said, they bought a bankrupt shopping mall for cheap, then that could be the site of an arena.

Update: Googling indicates that High Point was about to open a new 4,200 seat arena for basketball. https://qubeinarena.com/. That makes a hockey rink (which I assumed was going to be a multipurpose arena) a much less attractive way to spend money you may or may not have.

On the other hand, if you were building it because Division I ice hockey is a strategic goal, then.........maybe you double-check the math on the goals?
05-31-2020 08:35 AM
Mav Offline
1st String

I Root For: Omaha
(05-31-2020 08:32 AM)Nerdlinger Wrote:  
(05-31-2020 04:39 AM)NoDak Wrote:  
(05-30-2020 11:12 AM)ccd494 Wrote:  
(05-30-2020 08:15 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(05-30-2020 05:29 AM)ccd494 Wrote:  Oh! I didn’t realize that in the grips of the greatest economic crisis our nation has faced in nearly a century that High Point had successfully found the ONE BILLION DOLLARS that was a prerequisite to starting a team and building an arena. Good for them!

HAt tip to:
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/h...a.2688565/ who linked to :
High Point Announces 10 Year Growth Plan.

Money quote:
Quote:$300 million in new construction, including a new library, academic building, admissions center and Division I ice hockey facility.

The press release is from September 2019, and there are no details about what gets built when, etc. So the plan is, IMO, very much at risk of being overtaken by financial events. (Much like UAH's arena plan, or any big capital construction project right now.)

High Point club hockey plays a roster of mostly high-profile southern college programs. https://highpointclubsports.com/sports/c...y/schedule

That was sarcasm. High Point has as much chance of raising $1B and doing all those things as NoDak getting his two FBS conferences announced today.

High Point Hockey is not happening.
CCD is around numbrs that a have heard that has nevey been hearn heRd DI hockey. UND built is 1OO million area for less that 10% of this cost. It's a drunken fishenmen estatimes. High Point has been been a master at using data to grow in almost every way.

You might want to post when you're less of a drunken fishenmen.
He's probably pre-gaming for when he stumbles and stomps around the Old Market like all of the other booger-shirt Whioux fans that pollute Omaha one weekend a winter.
05-31-2020 03:06 PM
Mav Offline
1st String

(05-30-2020 10:55 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
(05-30-2020 08:44 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  4. The program still needs a conference home to continue. Apparently plan A is to convince the CCHA schools. (Good luck)

That seems a hard row to hoe, given that the wishlist for the eighth team is likely to include "cheaper to travel to than Huntsville" and "less of an RPI drag than Huntsville" among the bullet points.
The only real option for them if that's the case is RIT, and I'm sure they'd much rather keep the easier path to the NCAAs that the AHA offers, if not go to ECAC with the other New York schools. Mercyhurst and the two Buffalo privates are closer, but those programs are about as bad as UAH has been.
05-31-2020 03:17 PM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
(05-22-2020 02:52 PM)utpotts Wrote:  
(05-22-2020 02:47 PM)TDenverFan Wrote:  Shame, the only deep south school with D1 hockey, but without a league it would be hard for them to continue.

Even the NHL struggles south of Nashville. I.E. Atlanta
That is largely a myth. The NHL struggles in Miami and Phoenix — two cities with huge transplant populations and arenas located well outside the cities’ center. Incidentally, they also struggle in Ottawa, I Canadian city and it too has an arena far outside the city center.

In places like Dallas, Tampa and Nashville, they do exceptionally well.
05-31-2020 03:28 PM
dbackjon Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(05-31-2020 03:28 PM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  
(05-22-2020 02:47 PM)TDenverFan Wrote:  Shame, the only deep south school with D1 hockey, but without a league it would be hard for them to continue.

That is largely a myth. The NHL struggles in Miami and Phoenix — two cities with huge transplant populations and arenas located well outside the cities’ center. Incidentally, they also struggle in Ottawa, I Canadian city and it too has an arena far outside the city center.

Phoenix's struggles have a lot to do with location. The arena is on the West side, while most of the fan base originally lived on the east side. To get to a weeknight game from the East Valley would take 1 1/2 hours minimum. Arena needs to be downtown or Tempe for it to succeed.
05-31-2020 04:27 PM
ccd494 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maine
(05-31-2020 08:35 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(05-31-2020 08:10 AM)puck swami Wrote:  My niece goes to High Point. The $1 Billion number is a 10-year fundraising goal which includes about $700 Million in scholarships, a new library, admissions center and other facilities besides a hockey arena.

http://www.highpoint.edu/blog/2019/09/hp...nvestment/

In short, it will be while before we see Purple Panthers skating in D-I hockey.

The construction number given was $300M. But if, as CCD said, they bought a bankrupt shopping mall for cheap, then that could be the site of an arena.

Woah woah woah... don't put that on me. I want to be on record that I am not the "maybe High Point can do this" guy, I am the "the Republic will fall before High Point has a D-I hockey team" guy.

D-I hockey was the last piece on High Point's "if we had $1B this is how we would spend it" list. Those lists are easy to make. Raising $1B? Not easy.
05-31-2020 05:55 PM
johnbragg Offline

(05-31-2020 02:25 AM)seaking4steel Wrote:  It should. The university is sitting on an abandoned mall and isn't doing much with it. It's a large space that could be redeveloped into an arena.

(05-31-2020 05:55 PM)ccd494 Wrote:  
(05-31-2020 08:35 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  The construction number given was $300M. But if, as CCD said, they bought a bankrupt shopping mall for cheap, then that could be the site of an arena.

Woah woah woah... don't put that on me. I want to be on record that I am not the "maybe High Point can do this" guy, I am the "the Republic will fall before High Point has a D-I hockey team" guy.

D-I hockey was the last piece on High Point's "if we had $1B this is how we would spend it" list. Those lists are easy to make. Raising $1B? Not easy.

My mistake. Apologies to CCD494 and to Seaking4Steel.
05-31-2020 06:18 PM
Cyniclone Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
By no means am I advocating much less predicting that High Point will have NCAA hockey for a good long while if ever, but if for whatever reason they decided to give it a go, they could play games a half-hour up the road at the Winston-Salem Fairgrounds Annex, a 4,000-seat arena that already hosts the minor-league Carolina Thunderbirds. They wouldn't have to wait to build a dedicated arena before starting a program.
05-31-2020 06:24 PM
Sultan of Euphonistan Offline
All American

I Root For: Baritones
(05-31-2020 03:28 PM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  

Also Miami is a terrible sports town in general. Unless you are winning big they do not turn out in the numbers you would expect for a city that size.
05-31-2020 10:17 PM
ccd494 Offline
1st String

(05-31-2020 06:24 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  By no means am I advocating much less predicting that High Point will have NCAA hockey for a good long while if ever, but if for whatever reason they decided to give it a go, they could play games a half-hour up the road at the Winston-Salem Fairgrounds Annex, a 4,000-seat arena that already hosts the minor-league Carolina Thunderbirds. They wouldn't have to wait to build a dedicated arena before starting a program.

That arena is firmly within the footprint of Wake Forest’s athletic complex. It shares a parking lot with Wake’s basketball arena and is within sight of Wake’s football and baseball stadiums. It is also within an entirely different city that has two universities of its own and no constituency of High Point fans. Not happening.
06-01-2020 05:50 AM
whittx Offline
All American

I Root For: FSU, Bport,Corn
(05-31-2020 03:17 PM)Mav Wrote:  
(05-30-2020 08:44 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  4. The program still needs a conference home to continue. Apparently plan A is to convince the CCHA schools. (Good luck)

That seems a hard row to hoe, given that the wishlist for the eighth team is likely to include "cheaper to travel to than Huntsville" and "less of an RPI drag than Huntsville" among the bullet points.
The only real option for them if that's the case is RIT, and I'm sure they'd much rather keep the easier path to the NCAAs that the AHA offers, if not go to ECAC with the other New York schools. Mercyhurst and the two Buffalo privates are closer, but those programs are about as bad as UAH has been.

I don't see RIT going with a UAH. They are waiting for Quinnipiac to get a HE invite so they can slide into their spot. For a D3 school, this would be the ideal, since they can't offer scholarships and would fit in with the Ivies and Union/RPI.
06-01-2020 06:26 AM
Cyniclone Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(06-01-2020 05:50 AM)ccd494 Wrote:  
(05-31-2020 06:24 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  By no means am I advocating much less predicting that High Point will have NCAA hockey for a good long while if ever, but if for whatever reason they decided to give it a go, they could play games a half-hour up the road at the Winston-Salem Fairgrounds Annex, a 4,000-seat arena that already hosts the minor-league Carolina Thunderbirds. They wouldn't have to wait to build a dedicated arena before starting a program.

That arena is firmly within the footprint of Wake Forest’s athletic complex. It shares a parking lot with Wake’s basketball arena and is within sight of Wake’s football and baseball stadiums. It is also within an entirely different city that has two universities of its own and no constituency of High Point fans. Not happening.

The city of Winston-Salem owns the facility. Wake Forest would have no ability to keep the city from allowing a High Point hockey team to rent the facility any more than they can the Thunderbirds or any minor-league team. It's not ideal but let's not act like universities can't play home games outside of their home city. If High Point wanted to start hockey, they wouldn't have to wait until a purpose-built on-campus hockey arena was available. Playing at the Annex isn't a long-term solution, but it's viable as a stopgap (especially since it's already set up for hockey in the winter with the Thunderbirds).

I sincerely doubt that we'll see HP hockey any time in the foreseeable future but there's ways to make it happen if for whatever reason that's their plan.
06-01-2020 08:35 AM
ccd494 Offline
1st String

(06-01-2020 08:35 AM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(06-01-2020 05:50 AM)ccd494 Wrote:  

The city of Winston-Salem owns the facility. Wake Forest would have no ability to keep the city from allowing a High Point hockey team to rent the facility any more than they can the Thunderbirds or any minor-league team. It's not ideal but let's not act like universities can't play home games outside of their home city. If High Point wanted to start hockey, they wouldn't have to wait until a purpose-built on-campus hockey arena was available. Playing at the Annex isn't a long-term solution, but it's viable as a stopgap (especially since it's already set up for hockey in the winter with the Thunderbirds).

I sincerely doubt that we'll see HP hockey any time in the foreseeable future but there's ways to make it happen if for whatever reason that's their plan.

Does Wake Forest have a legal veto? Of course not. Is Wake Forest the biggest economic driver in the city, contributing billions of dollars to Winston-Salem's economy, including operating the largest hospital in town? Yes. A quietly whispered "um, please no" in the right ear would go a long way.

Honestly, I don't think Wake would care that much (because HPU hockey in Winston-Salem might draw 5 fans), and the bigger roadblock would be that HPU has no following in Winston, and a startup sport that far from campus on Friday and Saturday nights is not going to be of interest to anyone.
06-01-2020 09:02 AM
johnbragg Offline

The High Point club team pays at Greensboro Ice House, for what that's worth.

HP is closer to Greensboro than to Winston Salem (9 miles vs 20). I'm not sure that HP hockey would draw attendance that the bleachers in the pictures on the Greensboro Ice House couldn't handle.
06-01-2020 10:22 AM
BruceMcF Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.

Remember that UAH was 58th out of 60 in Ice Hockey RPI last year, that's not a hard hurdle to clear.

So your saying that RIT is the only school with better than 58th out of 60 RPI playing Division 1 college hockey that would offer easier travel for the new CCHA schools?
06-01-2020 12:16 PM
Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
(06-01-2020 06:26 AM)whittx Wrote:  

I don't see RIT going with a UAH. They are waiting for Quinnipiac to get a HE invite so they can slide into their spot. For a D3 school, this would be the ideal, since they can't offer scholarships and would fit in with the Ivies and Union/RPI.

What are the odds of Quinnipiac getting an invite to Hockey East? I thought they preferred the ECAC so they can remain with Yale.

That said, if Quinnipiac moves to Hockey East and RIT takes their place in the ECAC, then there's room in Atlantic Hockey for both LIU and Navy (if the latter ever gets varsity hockey off the ground). At that point all 3 eastern conferences would be set at 12 teams.
06-01-2020 02:15 PM
whittx Offline
All American

(06-01-2020 02:15 PM)Nerdlinger Wrote:  

What are the odds of Quinnipiac getting an invite to Hockey East? I thought they preferred the ECAC so they can remain with Yale.

That said, if Quinnipiac moves to Hockey East and RIT takes their place in the ECAC, then there's room in Atlantic Hockey for both LIU and Navy (if the latter ever gets varsity hockey off the ground). At that point all 3 eastern conferences would be set at 12 teams.

I would say that they are decent only because the only other school under consideration in their footprint is Holy Cross and they have done everything to avoid moving up in class athletically in the last 50 years. If they had been serious about athletics, they would be in the Big East and Hockey East already. Also, Quinnipiac went with the ECAC because it was a step up from the then MAAC. Having Yale there was icing. No doubt they would continue the rivalry if Q went to HE.
06-01-2020 08:05 PM
Mav Offline
1st String

(06-01-2020 12:16 PM)BruceMcF Wrote:  

Remember that UAH was 58th out of 60 in Ice Hockey RPI last year, that's not a hard hurdle to clear.

So your saying that RIT is the only school with better than 58th out of 60 RPI playing Division 1 college hockey that would offer easier travel for the new CCHA schools?
I'm saying that RIT's the only AHA school in the area that's been able to get it done on the ice. Sure, you can bring in Mercyhurst and it'd be an easier drive for Bowling Green and Ferris State, but you're still bringing in a cellar dweller to round yourselves out at 8. Besides, if you're that desperate to fill a weekend during conference season, the B1G has an odd amount of teams, and you have four independents to schedule now.

In all honesty, if I'm the CCHA, I'm standing pat at 7, but I'll entertain RIT if Q doesn't move and they get tired of the AHA. The closer schools are bad programs even by AHA standards.

Yeah, that would be ideal for them. I wasn't saying they would go with UAH in any regard. No one wants to be on an island like UAH. I was saying they'd be the closest thing to a fit for the CCHA that's out there. It's more saying how thin the pool of viable-yet-not-major programs is in the Great Lakes region.
06-04-2020 03:48 PM
whittx Offline
All American

(06-04-2020 03:48 PM)Mav Wrote:  
(06-01-2020 12:16 PM)BruceMcF Wrote:  

I'm saying that RIT's the only AHA school in the area that's been able to get it done on the ice. Sure, you can bring in Mercyhurst and it'd be an easier drive for Bowling Green and Ferris State, but you're still bringing in a cellar dweller to round yourselves out at 8. Besides, if you're that desperate to fill a weekend during conference season, the B1G has an odd amount of teams, and you have four independents to schedule now.

In all honesty, if I'm the CCHA, I'm standing pat at 7, but I'll entertain RIT if Q doesn't move and they get tired of the AHA. The closer schools are bad programs even by AHA standards.

Yeah, that would be ideal for them. I wasn't saying they would go with UAH in any regard. No one wants to be on an island like UAH. I was saying they'd be the closest thing to a fit for the CCHA that's out there. It's more saying how thin the pool of viable-yet-not-major programs is in the Great Lakes region.

If Robert Morris (PA) goes with a midwest focus and upgrades their arena stuation, they might make sense as team 8 in the CCHA.
06-05-2020 10:51 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.