Briggs: Fear the universities that have all the coronavirus answers
05-21-2020 03:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
RE: Briggs: Fear the universities that have all the coronavirus answers
Each country, State, City, University, etc. have different realities for the coronavirus. To say one's
reality is more valid than another without looking at
the data is absurd.
05-21-2020 08:15 PM
BearcatMan Online
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
(05-21-2020 08:15 PM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  Each country, State, City, University, etc. have different realities for the coronavirus. To say one's
the data is absurd.

Well, this is The Blade, so absurdity is in the repertoire.
05-21-2020 09:43 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(05-21-2020 09:43 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(05-21-2020 08:15 PM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  Each country, State, City, University, etc. have different realities for the coronavirus. To say one's
the data is absurd.

Well, this is The Blade, so absurdity is in the repertoire.

Waxing philosophical.
05-22-2020 01:59 AM
Dwight Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rockets
the data is absurd.

But each individual school cannot make its own decision about whether or not there will be football in the fall. I agree with Briggs that anyone making football promises right now is either misguided or dishonest.
05-22-2020 05:44 AM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(05-22-2020 05:44 AM)Dwight Wrote:  
the data is absurd.

But each individual school cannot make its own decision about whether or not there will be football in the fall. I agree with Briggs that anyone making football promises right now is either misguided or dishonest.

For maybe Ohio, Michigan, etc- yes. For Nebraska, Utah, etc.-no. Schools, University shutdowns protected staff, general population,etc. We have a pretty good sense that students are at a very low statistical risk. To not reopen Universities and play sports to protect students makes little sense.
05-22-2020 07:46 AM
Advertisement

Dwight Offline
1st String

(05-22-2020 07:46 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  
the data is absurd.

For maybe Ohio, Michigan, etc- yes. For Nebraska, Utah, etc.-no. Schools, University shutdowns protected staff, general population,etc. We have a pretty good sense that students are at a very low statistical risk. To not reopen Universities and play sports to protect students makes little sense.

All I mean is that a school like Nebraska can't choose to play football unless its opponents are also playing. That is different from the decision whether or not to hold classes on campus, which every school can do on its own, regardless of what anyone else is doing.
05-22-2020 07:59 AM
IamN2daRockets! Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
The Auburn president is committed to going back to life as normal. The quarantine was done to keep hospitals from being overwhelmed. That clearly worked. The Auburn president has put a stake in the ground. Auburn is mostly a conservative school so his decision is in line with the student population, admimistration, and benefactors.

Different strokes for different folks. I usually agree with Briggs but he misses the local content angle in this story. Odds are that Auburn has made the bold right decision.

Go Rockets!
(This post was last modified: 05-22-2020 12:37 PM by IamN2daRockets!.)
05-22-2020 12:02 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
SEC decided this afternoon to allow student-athletes
back on campuses starting June 8 for voluntary workouts.
(This post was last modified: 05-22-2020 01:57 PM by Boca Rocket.)
05-22-2020 01:57 PM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

(05-22-2020 12:02 PM)IamN2daRockets! Wrote:  The Auburn president is committed to going back to life as normal. The quarantine was done to keep hospitals from being overwhelmed. That clearly worked. The Auburn president has put a stake in the ground. Auburn is mostly a conservative school so his decision is in line with the student population, admimistration, and benefactors.

Different strokes for different folks. I usually agree with Briggs but he misses the local content angle in this story. Odds are that Auburn has made the bold right decision.

Go Rockets!

College Presidents don't get the authority to open their campus, their state government does, and I am not saying Georgia keeps campuses closed in fall but just pointing out statements by any college President in the country these days isn't the final word on fall opening or sports.
05-24-2020 04:37 PM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

(05-22-2020 07:46 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  
the data is absurd.

Again not so sure why I have to keep reminding people of this, but coronavirus is an infectious disease that is easy spread via airborne drops, keeping campuses closed in fall is not just about protecting students, its also about stemming infections spreading from students to others including college faculty and staff, and student family, friends and co-workers. Also worth nothing that even though death rate about young adults is low, this is a serious disease that can do lifetime damage to your health even if you are otherwise healthy, not at risk and recover and return to health, the long term impacts to your respiratory system can be significant and permanent.
05-24-2020 04:42 PM
Advertisement

PaulJ Offline
1st String

(05-22-2020 01:57 PM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  SEC decided this afternoon to allow student-athletes
back on campuses starting June 8 for voluntary workouts.

Worth noting that SEC and NCAA don't have final say on whether students are allowed back on campus, that is up to each individual state government.
05-24-2020 04:44 PM
IamN2daRockets! Offline
All American

Apparently the SEC does make their own decisions since they’re allowing the players back on campus in June as Sanctioned by the NCAA. Paulj - I respect your opinion. Nobody is debating the severity of Covid but basically Briggs’ column is a moot point from your POV. The Covid trend LMS line per most analytics is in decent regression so that is good news.

Regardless I still stand by my last post.

Go Rockets!
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2020 05:47 PM by IamN2daRockets!.)
05-24-2020 05:34 PM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

(05-24-2020 05:34 PM)IamN2daRockets! Wrote:  Apparently the SEC does make their own decisions since they’re allowing the players back on campus in June as Sanctioned by the NCAA. Paulj - I respect your opinion. Nobody is debating the severity of Covid but basically Briggs’ column is a moot point from your POV. The Covid trend LMS line per most analytics is in decent regression so that is good news.

Go Rockets!

Sorry but you would be wrong, SEC, NCAA and every other conference does not have the authority or jurisdiction over allowing student athletics back onto a campus. They can certainly give directions to Athletic directors and programs directives to how they can and can not operate, but if students are currently not allowed on campuses by state orders, nothing the SEC or NCAA can do about it.
05-24-2020 08:42 PM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

from the NCAA directive...." student-athletes in football and basketball will be allowed to participate in voluntary on-campus activities "as long as all local, state and federal regulations are followed" starting June 1."

Note the provision regarding state regulations.
05-24-2020 08:45 PM
IamN2daRockets! Offline
All American

Ok Paulj I am wrong. Thank you for the stern non decorum correction. This does make sense that each state has governance since that’s all we’ve heard about since this situation started

Paulj-the football trajectory is definitely up with the new staff and emphasis on D.

Go Rockets!
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2020 09:25 AM by IamN2daRockets!.)
05-25-2020 07:19 AM
Advertisement

Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
ItAll SEC schools will be reopening for in class schedules this Fall, barring another major spike. Some will be starting earlier with Semesters done by Thanksgiving. The President has said he will not do a total shutdown again. I will assume then, the call will be at the individual State level.

The 11 SEC States combined have about the same amount of Coronavirus deaths as New Jersey.
Their population is about 30% of the total US population.
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2020 08:53 AM by Boca Rocket.)
05-25-2020 08:07 AM
IamN2daRockets! Offline
All American

Interesting and telling facts. No wonder the SEC is confident.

Go Rockets
05-25-2020 01:38 PM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

(05-25-2020 08:07 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  ItAll SEC schools will be reopening for in class schedules this Fall, barring another major spike. Some will be starting earlier with Semesters done by Thanksgiving. The President has said he will not do a total shutdown again. I will assume then, the call will be at the individual State level.

The 11 SEC States combined have about the same amount of Coronavirus deaths as New Jersey.
Their population is about 30% of the total US population.

Trump never shutdown the country the first time (nor is he reopening the country), the federal government only issued guidelines, each state Governor determined when and how shutdown would occur in their own state. So if there is a need for a 2nd shutdown that again will decided by the States, not from Trump who doesn't have the authority.

Again the NCAA, conferences, ADs or college presidents don't have the authority to allow students back on campus, that includes student athletes, only the state government can lift existing bans of students on campuses.
05-25-2020 02:13 PM
Dwight Offline
1st String

(05-24-2020 08:42 PM)PaulJ Wrote:  
(05-24-2020 05:34 PM)IamN2daRockets! Wrote:  Apparently the SEC does make their own decisions since they’re allowing the players back on campus in June as Sanctioned by the NCAA. Paulj - I respect your opinion. Nobody is debating the severity of Covid but basically Briggs’ column is a moot point from your POV. The Covid trend LMS line per most analytics is in decent regression so that is good news.

Go Rockets!

Sorry but you would be wrong, SEC, NCAA and every other conference does not have the authority or jurisdiction over allowing student athletics back onto a campus. They can certainly give directions to Athletic directors and programs directives to how they can and can not operate, but if students are currently not allowed on campuses by state orders, nothing the SEC or NCAA can do about it.

Technically, you're right, of course, that the state government can forbid students from being on campus. But since that is very unlikely to happen in any of the SEC states, it will then be up to each university whether it will have students on campus. If, for example, the president and board of trustees of the University of Georgia say that students will be on campus in the fall, we can be pretty confident that they have the authority to make that decision.
05-25-2020 04:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.