Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News Prayers for Michigan
BearcatMan Online
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: Prayers for Michigan
According to flyover videos from the MSP and photos on the ground, the Dow Containment ponds that are Superfund-classified due to their holding of -dioxin based effluent have been overtopped and are now converging with the floodwaters which will inevitably outflow into Lake Huron (the largest source of municipal water for the Detroit area)...Dow has yet to confirm this, and oddly, their stock has gone up about 2% today 03-lmfao
05-21-2020 10:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
The human cost and toll....

Quote:"It's a disaster," said Dave Cryderman, owner of the Hook Party Store and Bait Shop across the street from the lake. Early Wednesday, the shop was 18 inches underwater but later in the day, the water had drained, along with the lake.

"It's just unthinkable," he said. "I don't know what I'm going to do. We were already hurting because of the coronavirus, and now this. The only thing that would make it worse is if a tornado hit us."

"Last night was pretty rough," said Terry Hanley, one of the members of the Great Lakes Veterans Association to volunteer at the high school. "People are going through a lot; we had one elderly man who laid in his garage for three hours before someone finally found him.

"It's been rough enough for the last few months, and you wonder what's next," Hanley said. "But Midland has stepped up. This is our community, and people really came together to volunteer."

Dot Costello was among those sheltering at Midland High School who wondered what else could possibly go wrong.

"First the coronavirus, now a flood — what's next? Where are the locusts?" said Costello, 101, who was born Oct. 3, 1918, during the height of the Spanish Flu pandemic that killed an estimated 20 million to 50 million people worldwide, and some 675,000 Americans.

"This is not the way I wanted to live my senior years," said Costello. "What's so bad about this is that it's unknown, and nobody knows what's coming next. I'm talking about the virus and the flood."

Walt Lepczyk of Hope Township also felt luckier than some of his neighbors. The floodwater rose to within a few yards from his house on Wixom Lake, but did no damage. Still, he said it was nerve-wracking watching the water rise.

"It was going up 5 inches an hour before (the dam) broke; I was measuring it," he said. "I stood on the dock, and the water was up to my neck.

"When the lake started draining, it was going down 5 inches every 5-10 minutes," Lepczyk said. "It was crazy; there were chairs and coolers floating past. It took about two hours for the lake to completely drain."

Stunned Evacuees face 'unthinkable' flood damage
05-21-2020 11:34 AM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I almost started a new thread with the title, "The Three Karens" but decided to attach it to this thread, as the subject is the same.

Now word comes out that the State of Michigan took control of the dam operations and sued the owners who wanted to keep the water level lower. The State filed suit against the owner and won because they were more concerned about protecting fresh water mussels than safety. Fresh water mussels are everywhere up there, in all kinds of bodies of water.

Why the title The Three Karens? Read on.

Quote:The federal license revocation put the Edenville dam under state oversight, where the spillway capacity requirement is lower than the federal standard. Michigan law requires high-hazard dams to withstand the equivalent of a 200-year flood. Edenville meets Michigan’s capacity standard, according to federal records, but this is a 500-year flood event. It would be hard to say that Boyce Hydro didn’t envision the imminent danger, but the blind justice of Michigan’s AG couldn’t see the coming storm..

In April, Boyce and the state sued each other in state and federal court over the company’s attempts to lower Wixom Lake, an impoundment reservoir that the Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes and Energy (EGLE) says is home to endangered freshwater mussels that were killed by drawdowns in 2018 and 2019. Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel claimed the 8-foot drawdown was larger than the typical 3-feet and the exposed bottomlands resulted in the “death of thousands, if not millions, of freshwater mussels.”

Quote:Michigan’s AG Dana Nessel is one of the 3 “Karen’s” who are using arbitrary power and nagging application of the law to destroy the Wolverine State . The other two are Governor Gretchen Whitmer and Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson who continue to keep the state closed for business while punishing the citizens with incompetent public sector administration. Like most “New Confederacy” governors Whitmer has been using the Chinavirus pandemic as an excuse to crush the small business economy in coordinated attempt to hurt “deplorable” MAGA supporters of President Trump. Over the past few weeks the AG and Sec. of State have formed a ***** pack in an effort to hound Trump and keep him from winning the 2020 election.

LOL

It would be funny if their missteps weren't so damaging.

A Dam Breaks in Michigan And "Karens" swamp Democracy

There is quite a bit after the dam story about the AG threatening Ford because they didn't MAKE the President wear a mask when he visited Ford to see them making ventilators. Threatening Ford kind of PO'd the President and the tweetstorm began.

Here's another take on the fresh water mussels.

The Dam That Burst in Michigan happened Because the State Wanted to Protect Freshwater Mussels!

Quote:It’s the same song and dance that we see in other parts of the country governed by liberals, like California, where they put the lives of fish and other freshwater creatures over the lives of people.

Also this is the same idiotic AG that just picked a fight with Trump over not wearing a mask during part of his visit yesterday to a Michigan Ford plant.
(This post was last modified: 05-22-2020 04:09 PM by MileHighBronco.)
05-22-2020 03:58 PM
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
(05-22-2020 03:58 PM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  I almost started a new thread with the title, "The Three Karens" but decided to attach it to this thread, as the subject is the same.

Now word comes out that the State of Michigan took control of the dam operations and sued the owners who wanted to keep the water level lower. The State filed suit against the owner and won because they were more concerned about protecting fresh water mussels than safety. Fresh water mussels are everywhere up there, in all kinds of bodies of water.

Why the title The Three Karens? Read on.

Quote:The federal license revocation put the Edenville dam under state oversight, where the spillway capacity requirement is lower than the federal standard. Michigan law requires high-hazard dams to withstand the equivalent of a 200-year flood. Edenville meets Michigan’s capacity standard, according to federal records, but this is a 500-year flood event. It would be hard to say that Boyce Hydro didn’t envision the imminent danger, but the blind justice of Michigan’s AG couldn’t see the coming storm..

In April, Boyce and the state sued each other in state and federal court over the company’s attempts to lower Wixom Lake, an impoundment reservoir that the Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes and Energy (EGLE) says is home to endangered freshwater mussels that were killed by drawdowns in 2018 and 2019. Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel claimed the 8-foot drawdown was larger than the typical 3-feet and the exposed bottomlands resulted in the “death of thousands, if not millions, of freshwater mussels.”

Quote:Michigan’s AG Dana Nessel is one of the 3 “Karen’s” who are using arbitrary power and nagging application of the law to destroy the Wolverine State . The other two are Governor Gretchen Whitmer and Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson who continue to keep the state closed for business while punishing the citizens with incompetent public sector administration. Like most “New Confederacy” governors Whitmer has been using the Chinavirus pandemic as an excuse to crush the small business economy in coordinated attempt to hurt “deplorable” MAGA supporters of President Trump. Over the past few weeks the AG and Sec. of State have formed a ***** pack in an effort to hound Trump and keep him from winning the 2020 election.

LOL

It would be funny if their missteps weren't so damaging.

A Dam Breaks in Michigan And "Karens" swamp Democracy

There is quite a bit after the dam story about the AG threatening Ford because they didn't MAKE the President wear a mask when he visited Ford to see them making ventilators. Threatening Ford kind of PO'd the President and the tweetstorm began.

Here's another take on the fresh water mussels.

The Dam That Burst in Michigan happened Because the State Wanted to Protect Freshwater Mussels!

Quote:It’s the same song and dance that we see in other parts of the country governed by liberals, like California, where they put the lives of fish and other freshwater creatures over the lives of people.

Also this is the same idiotic AG that just picked a fight with Trump over not wearing a mask during part of his visit yesterday to a Michigan Ford plant.

yep. The Libs are trying to spin it this was because the dam wasn't owned by the government, but if anything, I think this is a textbook example why the government shouldn't meddle in things. The capitalist in charge of the dam knows how the dam should be operated to protect his community. The government is more concerned about mussels.

To be fair, I think the State technically won when they sued because of guidelines the State had, but if they weren't more concerned about the community, I guess they wouldn't have sued anyways.
(This post was last modified: 05-22-2020 05:08 PM by Bronco'14.)
05-22-2020 05:03 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Quote:EDENVILLE, MI — Owners of a collapsed dam that caused major flooding in Michigan say they were pressured by the state to maintain elevated water levels on Wixom Lake behind it, despite concerns about the structure’s ability to handle flooding. It is an accusation a state agency spokesperson calls “misinformation.”

Boyce Hydro Power LLC owners accused Michigan regulators of being more concerned with preserving aquatic life and appeasing property owners than ensuring public safety in a statement following the catastrophic Edenville Dam collapse on Tuesday, May 19.

The resulting flood has displaced about 10,000 people and focused national attention on Michigan as floodwaters inundated the Midland area. Federal energy regulators have ordered Boyce Hydro to conduct a third-party investigation.

The dam’s license to generate power was revoked in 2018.

Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer vowed the state will “pursue every line of legal recourse” against those responsible for the calamity. On Thursday, she suggested that such critical infrastructure should not be in private hands.

Boyce Hydro, which has been criticized for failing to keep the Edenville Dam in compliance with federal regulations, said it sympathizes with those affected by the flood but defended its actions in the weeks and months before record rainfall caused the dam to fail.

In April, Boyce and the state sued each other in state and federal court over the company’s attempts to lower Wixom Lake, an impoundment reservoir that the Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes and Energy (EGLE) says is home to endangered freshwater mussels that were killed by drawdowns in 2018 and 2019.

Boyce says it asked EGLE for permission to lower Wixom Lake last fall “due to concern for the safety of its operators and the downstream community.” EGLE and the Michigan Department of Natural Resources denied the request. Boyce lowered the lake without approval in mid-November “believing its safety concerns were paramount.”

Boyce sued the state on April 29 in Grand Rapids federal court, arguing the state lacks scientific validation for its endangered species concerns and should allow the drawdowns.

According to a counter lawsuit filed against Boyce by Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel in Ingham County Circuit Court, the 8-foot drawdown was larger than the typical 3-feet and the exposed bottomlands resulted in the “death of thousands, if not millions, of freshwater mussels.”

Boyce claims it raised the lake this spring “under pressure" from the shoreline residents and state regulators.

“The state agencies clearly care more about mussels living in the impoundment than they do about the people living downstream of the dams,” said Lee Mueller, part owner of Boyce Hydro LLC, which owns the Edenville Dam.

On Thursday, EGLE disputed Boyce’s claims and said Mueller wanted to lower Wixom Lake over the winter to prevent ice build-up on dam equipment without having to pay for heated power washing and labor; not to prevent a spring flood.

“There has been some misinformation about what transpired between Boyce and the state,” said EGLE spokesperson Nick Assendelft. “The narrative by Boyce that somehow when the state was handed regulatory authority we pivoted from concerns about the infrastructure to concerns about clams is neither accurate nor fair.”

“Boyce Hydro’s desire to save money did not outweigh the natural resource damage an extended, winter drawdown would cause,” Assendelft said.

EGLE assumed regulatory authority for the 96-year-old dam in late 2018 after its license to generate hydropower was revoked by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), which had pushed Boyce Hydro for years to increase spillway capacity in order to handle a historic flood.

The 4.8 megawatt, 6,600-foot earth-gravity dam impounded both the Tittabawasee River and its tributary, the Tobacco River. It was built in 1925 and mostly used for flood control.

Edenville fell short of a federal requirement that dams that pose a significant danger to the public must be equipped to handle the largest predictable storm, called a “probable maximum flood” or PMF. Edenville’s spillway capacity could only handle about half that level, which Boyce said “has been calculated to occur once in every 1,000,000 years.”

This week’s flood has been called a 500-year event.

The federal license revocation put the Edenville dam under state oversight, where the capacity requirement is lower. Michigan law requires high-hazard dams to withstand the equivalent of a 200-year flood. Edenville meets Michigan’s capacity standard, according to federal records.

EGLE conducted a “cursory” inspection of the dam in October 2018 and declared it in fair condition with no obvious signs of imminent danger to the public. Nonetheless, Assendelft says EGLE maintained “strong concerns” the dam did not feature enough spillway capacity.

Boyce said it could not finance the estimated $8 million cost needed to build more spillways. The dam had six 20-foot-wide spillway gates before Tuesday’s collapse.

Boyce said it began drawing down Wixom Lake and impoundments behind its other nearby dams — Secord, Sanford and Smallwood — on May 15 “in anticipation of what was predicted to be a major storm system.” However, substantial rainfall in the river basins drove water levels on Wixom Lake to just a couple feet under the dam crest.

“This, combined with wave action due to high winds, eventually caused the water to penetrate the earthen dike at the east end, saturating it,” Boyce said. The breach washed out about 900 feet of the earthen dike and sent impoundment water rushing downstream toward the Sanford Dam, which was quickly overtopped but did not immediately fail.

Boyce Hydro was in the process this year of selling the dams to a local task force that hoped to oversee repairs and bring stability to impoundment levels on both Wixom and Sanford lakes after years of discord between Mueller and shoreline homeowners.

Drawdowns have upset residents along Wixom and Sanford Lakes. The task force planned to ask a judge to set legal minimum lake levels once the sale went through.

Dave Kepler, a Sanford Lake resident who chairs the Four Lakes Task Force, said the $9.4 million sale would have been finalized this year, but indicated that outcome may be in doubt.

“Right now, we’re focused on making sure we recover and everyone is safe,” Kepler said Wednesday morning. “We’ll have to sit back and reassess what happened and what the path forward its.”

Link

So the truth comes out. After FERC ruled the dam unsafe, the owners tried to lower the water level for safety, but the state and lakeside property owners fought them.

Listen to this doublespeak from some ******* bureaucrat who completely contradicts himself:

EGLE spokesperson Nick Assendelft. “The narrative by Boyce that somehow when the state was handed regulatory authority we pivoted from concerns about the infrastructure to concerns about clams is neither accurate nor fair.”

“Boyce Hydro’s desire to save money did not outweigh the natural resource damage an extended, winter drawdown would cause,” Assendelft said.
05-23-2020 07:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
(05-23-2020 07:04 PM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  Listen to this doublespeak from some ******* bureaucrat who completely contradicts himself:

EGLE spokesperson Nick Assendelft. “The narrative by Boyce that somehow when the state was handed regulatory authority we pivoted from concerns about the infrastructure to concerns about clams is neither accurate nor fair.”

Yep. Boyce wasn't concerned about saving money so much as they were protecting the community. As I was saying, the Libs are trying to spin this to 'evil capitalist.'
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2020 08:07 PM by Bronco'14.)
05-23-2020 08:07 PM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
Prayers for Michigan
Clams over dams!

Mussels over Midland!

Bivalves over... yea, I’m done.

Good luck to those folks, we get the governance we deserve.
05-24-2020 08:18 AM
chip90 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: cmu
(05-20-2020 11:05 AM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  Michigan is a very poorly run state, so infrastructure issues don't shock me. I don't know why anyone would choose to live there. But the way they tend to vote, it also seems to not be the brightest bunch of folks in the country.

I hope everyone who has to evacuate gets out safely. Wherever they end up, I hope they don't bring their politics with them.

You do know both the state house and senate are controlled by republicans.
05-24-2020 08:56 AM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
[Image: 9b0ce209ae5cc7395836fc01dbaac1c3caf9e3dc...;amp;h=483]
05-26-2020 12:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

(05-21-2020 10:45 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  According to flyover videos from the MSP and photos on the ground, the Dow Containment ponds that are Superfund-classified due to their holding of -dioxin based effluent have been overtopped and are now converging with the floodwaters which will inevitably outflow into Lake Huron (the largest source of municipal water for the Detroit area)...Dow has yet to confirm this, and oddly, their stock has gone up about 2% today 03-lmfao

I'd just like to point out that most communities in Michigan anywhere near one of the great lakes all get their water from the lake, including Midland.
05-26-2020 01:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.