Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Depressing!
Bookmark and Share
uiniu57 Offline
All American

I Root For: Amanda Sauer
Depressing!
This is even more depressing than what's going on now.
Before Covid-19, last fall football attendance at NIU and the MAC was atrocious!
Among 130 FBS programs, NIU was second to last, just ahead of Ball State.
MAC programs constituted five of the worst nine and 11 of the bottom 30 programs.
130 -- Ball State
129 -- Northern Illinois
126 -- Kent State
123 -- Eastern Michigan
122 -- Central Michigan
115 -- Bowling Green State
112 -- Miami
110 -- Buffalo
102 -- Ohio
101 -- Akron
100 -- Western Michigan

Toledo was 90th.

https://collegefootballnews.com/gallery/...ery-school
05-19-2020 08:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
RE: Depressing!
(05-19-2020 08:27 PM)uiniu57 Wrote:  This is even more depressing than what's going on now.
Before Covid-19, last fall football attendance at NIU and the MAC was atrocious!
MAC programs constituted five of the worst nine and 11 of the bottom 30 programs.
130 -- Ball State
129 -- Northern Illinois
126 -- Kent State
123 -- Eastern Michigan
122 -- Central Michigan
112 -- Miami
110 -- Buffalo
102 -- Ohio
101 -- Akron
100 -- Western Michigan

Toledo was 90th.

If it was about attendance, the MAC would only have Saturday games.
05-19-2020 08:36 PM
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
While we were not putting impressive butts in seats, I'm in the camp that NIU reported more accurately than some other FBS members, EMU for sure....
05-19-2020 09:14 PM
NIU70 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Take a guess
Not to worry. We'll be tied with most everyone this year at 0.
05-19-2020 10:39 PM
stpeterocketfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Toledo
(05-19-2020 08:36 PM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  
(05-19-2020 08:27 PM)uiniu57 Wrote:  This is even more depressing than what's going on now.
130 -- Ball State
129 -- Northern Illinois
126 -- Kent State
123 -- Eastern Michigan
122 -- Central Michigan
112 -- Miami
110 -- Buffalo
102 -- Ohio
101 -- Akron
100 -- Western Michigan

Toledo was 90th.

If it was about attendance, the MAC would only have Saturday games.

Hats off to UT for decade after decade of putting a pretty consistent product on the field and a pretty loyal fan base. Lets not forget the total renovation of the east side just three years ago that has helped those casual fans obtain some nicer amenities, that fans on the west side have enjoyed for decades with the suites and boxes.
05-20-2020 06:05 AM
JB04 Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
As I mentioned in the Lorbeck thread, the dropping attendance, enrollment, and overall health of the area is probably the reason for many leaving for greener pastures.

It is all interconnected: a thriving university helps the city, and a thriving city helps the university. The state is hurting, rural Illinois is hurting, and the growth isn’t there. This goes with the other state universities as well. As instate enrollment has dropped, the City of DeKalb having stagnant population growth, it is a domino effect.

It is odd to me that people in the area don’t get behind their local university, even if they didn’t go there they still live in the area and should support it wholeheartedly.
05-20-2020 06:59 AM
Advertisement

Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
(05-20-2020 06:59 AM)JB04 Wrote:  As I mentioned in the Lorbeck thread, the dropping attendance, enrollment, and overall health of the area is probably the reason for many leaving for greener pastures.

It is all interconnected: a thriving university helps the city, and a thriving city helps the university. The state is hurting, rural Illinois is hurting, and the growth isn’t there. This goes with the other state universities as well. As instate enrollment has dropped, the City of DeKalb having stagnant population growth, it is a domino effect.

It is odd to me that people in the area don’t get behind their local university, even if they didn’t go there they still live in the area and should support it wholeheartedly.

DeKalb is a town with a university in it - not a university town. There is a co-existence, and that's about it. The residents of DeKalb are on the conservative side and have never been fond of the "youthful activities" and crime that the university brings.
05-20-2020 07:55 AM
JB04 Offline
1st String

(05-20-2020 07:55 AM)Dog Fan Wrote:  
(05-20-2020 06:59 AM)JB04 Wrote:  As I mentioned in the Lorbeck thread, the dropping attendance, enrollment, and overall health of the area is probably the reason for many leaving for greener pastures.

DeKalb is a town with a university in it - not a university town. There is a co-existence, and that's about it. The residents of DeKalb are on the conservative side and have never been fond of the "youthful activities" and crime that the university brings.

Agreed, but overall the university and the town are both in a struggle. DeKalb has had very little growth and new development other than fast food restaurants (not necessarily good). Meanwhile the drop in enrollment has left the area blighted.

If enrollment was at 25k+ and DeKalb was growing with new neighborhoods, restaurants, attractions, etc....We would have a lot less to gripe about (attendance issues, transfers, etc). It’s sad to me. For heavens sake we have a wide open lot just outside of downtown with no plans of development (currently an ice cream store on probably a 4 or 5 acre lot) , and a nasty abandoned hotel in the center of commercial part of university. That would not fly in any Big 10 school/campus/city.
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2020 08:39 AM by JB04.)
05-20-2020 08:38 AM
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

The state has no money, the school has no money and enrollment will plummet in the fall. If our OOC schedule falls apart, NIU could have less than $10 million in revenue. Hard to run a D1 program. Quit blaming Frazier and Hammock, their hands are tied.
05-20-2020 08:51 AM
HawaiiToNIU Online
All American

(05-20-2020 08:51 AM)klake87 Wrote:  The state has no money, the school has no money and enrollment will plummet in the fall. If our OOC schedule falls apart, NIU could have less than $10 million in revenue. Hard to run a D1 program. Quit blaming Frazier and Hammock, their hands are tied.

A D1 program on a 4A high school budget. We don't even have official cheerleaders....
05-20-2020 09:17 AM
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
EVERYONES enrollment will plummet this fall, not just ours. It will figure itself out over the next few years, the sky is not falling.
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2020 10:17 AM by NIUfilmmaker.)
05-20-2020 10:17 AM
Advertisement

MileHighHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For:
(05-20-2020 10:17 AM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  EVERYONES enrollment will plummet this fall, not just ours. It will figure itself out over the next few years, the sky is not falling.

This!
Thank you Filmmaker!
05-20-2020 11:05 AM
MPython Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: NIU & White Sox
Those of you not living in or around DeKalb are probably unaware of 2 new large commercial/industrial developments just underway just south of the tollway here in DeKalb.

Ferrara candy has a manufacturing / distribution campus already under construction. This will create in the long run 1,000 + jobs. And the construction of a $800 million data center site will begin early next month.

All is not doom & gloom here in DeKalb
05-20-2020 11:16 AM
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-20-2020 10:17 AM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  EVERYONES enrollment will plummet this fall, not just ours. It will figure itself out over the next few years, the sky is not falling.

NIU does not have a big endowment, they will be hurt harder than others. Where is this money coming from?
05-20-2020 11:38 AM
chihuskie Offline
Heisman

(05-20-2020 08:51 AM)klake87 Wrote:  The state has no money, the school has no money and enrollment will plummet in the fall. If our OOC schedule falls apart, NIU could have less than $10 million in revenue. Hard to run a D1 program. Quit blaming Frazier and Hammock, their hands are tied.

Frazier has been taking athletics money and building new baseball stadium. New soccer stadium. Etc. So---- he is FAR FROM blameless. Baseball in DeKalb, I will repeat and take shots) is a suboptimal idea. And that is money that could go into a Saturday afternoon fan experience instead.

I agree everything is not his fault, and that the present situation is difficult. But long-term planning, with a view towards reality, go along way to achieving success. He has done a lot of things as if NIU was Wisconsin or Alabama, (not reality) instead of figuring what works for the NIU fanbase. Attendance reflects that.
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2020 11:56 AM by chihuskie.)
05-20-2020 11:55 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(05-20-2020 11:16 AM)MPython Wrote:  Those of you not living in or around DeKalb are probably unaware of 2 new large commercial/industrial developments just underway just south of the tollway here in DeKalb.

Ferrara candy has a manufacturing / distribution campus already under construction. This will create in the long run 1,000 + jobs. And the construction of a $800 million data center site will begin early next month.

I will look forward to their sponsorship of NIU Athletics and purchase of naming rights in the near future.
05-20-2020 12:10 PM
Advertisement

HuskiePride12 Online
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, WHITE SOX
(05-20-2020 12:10 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  
(05-20-2020 11:16 AM)MPython Wrote:  Those of you not living in or around DeKalb are probably unaware of 2 new large commercial/industrial developments just underway just south of the tollway here in DeKalb.

I will look forward to their sponsorship of NIU Athletics and purchase of naming rights in the near future.

Even if we get something it will be better than what we have gotten from Ferrara previously, which is nothing. I agree the city landing those two business will help the area. It is a good start, but need more.
05-20-2020 12:42 PM
JB04 Offline
1st String

Yes this is great news and helps, though hopefully those working there live locally and don’t pop on the tollway back to the west burbs. I’m sorry if I sound gloomy, I just get upset when I see how the area has digressed. Everything from why they build a nice looking CVS in towns like Geneva and then DeKalb gets the “base” version build out. To open lots in the heart of the city, to abandoned hotels that sit, the fact there is really only one booming college bar (the fact you know which one that is proves my point), and a Greek row that I know many would feel uncomfortable walking through alone. I love the city and my school, but I get so dang mad with the reality....and I was in denial about it for years.
05-20-2020 03:24 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

(05-20-2020 03:24 PM)JB04 Wrote:  

Yes this is great news and helps, though hopefully those working there live locally and don’t pop on the tollway back to the west burbs. I’m sorry if I sound gloomy, I just get upset when I see how the area has digressed. Everything from why they build a nice looking CVS in towns like Geneva and then DeKalb gets the “base” version build out. To open lots in the heart of the city, to abandoned hotels that sit, the fact there is really only one booming college bar (the fact you know which one that is proves my point), and a Greek row that I know many would feel uncomfortable walking through alone. I love the city and my school, but I get so dang mad with the reality....and I was in denial about it for years.

I have heard not so good things about the public schools in DeKalb and have known 2 families that moved to Sycamore because of it.
05-20-2020 04:01 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
130 -- Ball State
129 -- Northern Illinois
126 -- Kent State
123 -- Eastern Michigan
122 -- Central Michigan
112 -- Miami
110 -- Buffalo
102 -- Ohio
101 -- Akron
100 -- Western Michigan

Toledo was 90th.

We did this to ourselves plain and simple, no one to blame but MAC front office and ADs, anyone could see this coming from a mile away
05-20-2020 05:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.