Favorite players to watch
Bookmark and Share
Milwaukee Pilot Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
RE: Favorite players to watch
(05-24-2020 09:59 AM)StevenNIU Wrote:  
(05-24-2020 09:34 AM)Rabid Squirrel Wrote:  
(05-18-2020 04:04 PM)StevenNIU Wrote:  I would have to rate Wolfe slightly ahead of Lynch. Watching Wolfe burst onto the scene was a thing of beauty. He looked like he was someone's little brother but no one could catch him or bring him down. We knew Lynch was going to be a pretty good running quarterback but the way he developed as a passer his last two years showed what hard work could do. During this era, many players (Wolfe, Lynch, Turner, TLL, English, Harnish, Ward) broke out and really carried NIU football. Other that Sutton Smith, this is not happening this much lately. We need to get back to this.

What really separates Wolfe, Lynch and Smith from the rest was their game-breaking plays. All 3 guys could change a game on one play. Lynch may have a leg up on the other two based on winning. He was on the best teams and it was just sit back, wait for the highlight real run and you knew the game was a victory. So much fun to watch.

During the Lynch years I felt that the offense was going to score every time they had the ball. Sometimes they scored too quickly and the defense had to go back outon the field with little rest but that was a nice problem to have.

That brings me back to the game against Eastern Michigan in 2010. I had to look it up but we scored TEN touchdowns and here were the scoring drives by time:

12 seconds
11 seconds
whoa---3:19
1:53
1:20
12 seconds
10 seconds
10 seconds
53 seconds
13 seconds

SEVEN TD drives of less than a minute, six of them under 15 seconds. Only one drive over TWO minutes.

That was still the Harnish era--but Lynch got plenty of time in that game rushing for TDs of 81 and 61 yards in the third quarter.
05-28-2020 02:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Teamduh Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Northern Il
(05-28-2020 02:12 PM)Milwaukee Pilot Wrote:  
(05-24-2020 09:59 AM)StevenNIU Wrote:  
(05-24-2020 09:34 AM)Rabid Squirrel Wrote:  
(05-18-2020 04:04 PM)StevenNIU Wrote:  I would have to rate Wolfe slightly ahead of Lynch. Watching Wolfe burst onto the scene was a thing of beauty. He looked like he was someone's little brother but no one could catch him or bring him down. We knew Lynch was going to be a pretty good running quarterback but the way he developed as a passer his last two years showed what hard work could do. During this era, many players (Wolfe, Lynch, Turner, TLL, English, Harnish, Ward) broke out and really carried NIU football. Other that Sutton Smith, this is not happening this much lately. We need to get back to this.

What really separates Wolfe, Lynch and Smith from the rest was their game-breaking plays. All 3 guys could change a game on one play. Lynch may have a leg up on the other two based on winning. He was on the best teams and it was just sit back, wait for the highlight real run and you knew the game was a victory. So much fun to watch.

During the Lynch years I felt that the offense was going to score every time they had the ball. Sometimes they scored too quickly and the defense had to go back outon the field with little rest but that was a nice problem to have.

That brings me back to the game against Eastern Michigan in 2010. I had to look it up but we scored TEN touchdowns and here were the scoring drives by time:

12 seconds
11 seconds
whoa---3:19
1:53
1:20
12 seconds
10 seconds
10 seconds
53 seconds
13 seconds

SEVEN TD drives of less than a minute, six of them under 15 seconds. Only one drive over TWO minutes.

That was still the Harnish era--but Lynch got plenty of time in that game rushing for TDs of 81 and 61 yards in the third quarter.
Thanks I just made an audible laugh reading this.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
05-29-2020 09:53 AM
TXHuskieJA26 Offline
1st String

Jimmie Ward is my favorite, hands down. I've never seen a player so consistently start 10-12 yards off the ball and make tackles for 1-2 yard gains, but at the same time NEVER get beat deep. Everyone knows his INT vs. Iowa but don't forget he led the team in tackles in that game as well. His one-handed, tip to himself, INT vs Toledo was one of the best plays I've ever seen. He repeatedly stuffed Kareem Hunt right in the hole all by himself in that game as well. Pick six against Purdue. The list goes on.

Other guys not yet mentioned I enjoyed... Chad Spann. Jake Coffman. Kenny Bishop. Shawun Lurry.
05-29-2020 04:22 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
One more....Adam Dach.
05-29-2020 04:26 PM
HawaiiToNIU Online
All American

(05-29-2020 04:22 PM)TXHuskieJA26 Wrote:  Jimmie Ward is my favorite, hands down. I've never seen a player so consistently start 10-12 yards off the ball and make tackles for 1-2 yard gains, but at the same time NEVER get beat deep. Everyone knows his INT vs. Iowa but don't forget he led the team in tackles in that game as well. His one-handed, tip to himself, INT vs Toledo was one of the best plays I've ever seen. He repeatedly stuffed Kareem Hunt right in the hole all by himself in that game as well. Pick six against Purdue. The list goes on.

Other guys not yet mentioned I enjoyed... Chad Spann. Jake Coffman. Kenny Bishop. Shawun Lurry.

Ah. Chosen Wun. I miss Shawun Lurry making gamebreaking plays.
05-29-2020 05:05 PM
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

Lynch and Wolfe were most exciting players. Everyone knew Lynch was keeping ball but you had to stop him. Wolfe was barry sandersesque. He needed slight gap and was gone, could change on a dime
05-30-2020 08:44 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.