Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MAC deals potential falling domino blow to Mid Major Conferences
Bookmark and Share
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
Breaking News: The MAC just cancelled a bunch of non revenue sport conference tournaments for the next several years. Eight sports will no longer have a conference tournament (including baseball). The conference stated that the corona virus is partly to blame.

Additionally, for basketball only their top 8 teams will make the conference tournament instead of all 12.

If 2020 has shown us anything, it’s that the domino effect is a real thing and can really steam roll throughout the country. Will other mid major conferences with lower overall budgets (I’m looking at you CAA) follow suit?

Considering the greatness of CAA leadership... there’s a real possibility that many sports in our conference might have some troubled seas ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
05-13-2020 01:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SEA33HAWK Offline
All American

I Root For: UNCW
RE: MAC deals potential falling domino blow to Mid Major Conferences
And paying players will finish the mid majors off.
05-13-2020 06:15 AM
70shawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Brandon University
(05-13-2020 01:20 AM)CG_Hawk06 Wrote:  Breaking News: The MAC just cancelled a bunch of non revenue sport conference tournaments for the next several years. Eight sports will no longer have a conference tournament (including baseball). The conference stated that the corona virus is partly to blame.

Additionally, for basketball only their top 8 teams will make the conference tournament instead of all 12.

If 2020 has shown us anything, it’s that the domino effect is a real thing and can really steam roll throughout the country. Will other mid major conferences with lower overall budgets (I’m looking at you CAA) follow suit?

Considering the greatness of CAA leadership... there’s a real possibility that many sports in our conference might have some troubled seas ahead.

Many, many changes are probably on the horizon.

The Virus Could Be the Cure for College Sports

This is not going to be the most politic sentence I’ve written, but here goes: The coronavirus pandemic could be the best thing that’s ever happened to college athletics.

Yes, things look pretty grim right now. The NCAA’s men’s and women’s basketball tournaments were canceled, as were all the spring sports like baseball, tennis and lacrosse. Without the $1.1 billion March Madness generates, the NCAA was only able to distribute $225 million to its university members, rather than the $600 million schools were expecting. If the biggest moneymaker of all, college football, is canceled for the 2020 season — well, the athletic directors I talked to can barely bring themselves to contemplate the possibility.
05-13-2020 06:24 AM
solohawks Online
Hall of Famer

We are very fortunate not to be dependent on football dollars to fund our athletic department
05-13-2020 05:34 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

(05-13-2020 05:34 PM)solohawks Wrote:  We are very fortunate not to be dependent on football dollars to fund our athletic department

Sure, but before all this we couldn’t even fund baseball and nearly dropped track and field a few years ago.

You can bet if universities aren’t open back for normal business as usual in the fall universities are going to take a hit. The first to go will be a lot of non-revenue sports. UNCW isn’t exactly flush with cash for athletics as it is.

05-13-2020 05:40 PM
Seahawk Nation 08 Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-13-2020 05:40 PM)CG_Hawk06 Wrote:  
(05-13-2020 05:34 PM)solohawks Wrote:  We are very fortunate not to be dependent on football dollars to fund our athletic department

Sure, but before all this we couldn’t even fund baseball and nearly dropped track and field a few years ago.

Baseball funds itself with money it raises on its own, it’s not going anywhere.

The lack of funds only impacted being fully funded, IE being able to afford the max 11.7 scholarships allowed by the NCAA.
05-14-2020 12:50 AM
Advertisement

82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
(05-14-2020 12:50 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  

The lack of funds only impacted being fully funded, IE being able to afford the max 11.7 scholarships allowed by the NCAA.

Lol. NO athletic program at UNCW "funds itself". Student fees fund everything. Without them, there are no athletic programs at UNCW and the same with the majority of other athletic programs.
05-14-2020 05:30 AM
Hall of Famer

(05-14-2020 05:30 AM)82hawk Wrote:  Lol. NO athletic program at UNCW "funds itself". Student fees fund everything. Without them, there are no athletic programs at UNCW and the same with the majority of other athletic programs.

Then why was Kelly Mehrtens looking to take money away from Baseball in order to pay Buzz Peterson?

They raise money well over and above the sliver they get from student fees. Hence why they've been able to afford the new facilities. They have donors and businesses that specifically give to Baseball.
05-14-2020 08:20 AM
B_Hawk06 Offline

I wasn’t specifically stating that baseball is going away, more so to the fact our Athletic dept is so small it can’t even help fund baseball properly. This when the crunch time comes, almost every program at UNCW has a chance of “going away”. Men’s basketball and baseball obviously are in better positions than others for the reason you stated. Largely though, our athletics at UNCW would crumble.

05-14-2020 08:27 AM
Hall of Famer

(05-14-2020 08:27 AM)CG_Hawk06 Wrote:  

I wasn’t specifically stating that baseball is going away, more so to the fact our Athletic dept is so small it can’t even help fund baseball properly. This when the crunch time comes, almost every program at UNCW has a chance of “going away”. Men’s basketball and baseball obviously are in better positions than others for the reason you stated. Largely though, our athletics at UNCW would crumble.

Honestly, we've had too many programs here for a while now. We should have cut several years back when we had the chance. Heartless? Maybe. But we've seen how the performance of the Swimming & Diving program has in particular gone downhill after the uncertainty surrounding its existence.

If you're thinking about cutting a program, you need to just go ahead and rip the band-aid and do it, and ignore the public outcry. This is a business, and its silly to argue otherwise.
05-14-2020 08:38 AM
solohawks Online
Hall of Famer

(05-14-2020 08:38 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  
(05-14-2020 08:27 AM)CG_Hawk06 Wrote:  

Honestly, we've had too many programs here for a while now. We should have cut several years back when we had the chance. Heartless? Maybe. But we've seen how the performance of the Swimming & Diving program has in particular gone downhill after the uncertainty surrounding its existence.

If you're thinking about cutting a program, you need to just go ahead and rip the band-aid and do it, and ignore the public outcry. This is a business, and its silly to argue otherwise.

The last chancellor tried.

I have always wondered why we fund more the minimum required
05-14-2020 08:48 AM
Advertisement

solohawks Online
Hall of Famer

You can bet if universities aren’t open back for normal business as usual in the fall universities are going to take a hit. The first to go will be a lot of non-revenue sports. UNCW isn’t exactly flush with cash for athletics as it is.

My point was many athletic departments sink or swim based on football. Going to get beat up by Clemson on their homecoming sucks, but it pays a lot of money. With football being up in the air for Fall 2020, a lot of schools may have unexpected revenue loss.
05-14-2020 08:49 AM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Drexel
If football is shortened (likely) or gone (unlikely) the rich get richer and the poor sink and die. This situation is actually perfect for the majors because it will get rid of the fodder (low mids and mid majors) who cant swim on their own for any period of time. It will force many to drop divisions giving the majors the future they desire where the money stays with them. The longer things get delayed the higher the chance of this happening. And yes many more school athletic cuts will happen across the field, even at major universities. For them though, it will be merely doing what theyve wanted to do for awhile but didnt have a legit excuse to pull the plug. They have now been afforded the opportunity without creating a PR nightmare.
05-14-2020 09:03 AM
Big Alpha Hawk Offline
Bench Warmer

It is my understanding from what I consider credible sources that UNCW funds the full 11.7 scholarships. My interpretation is that they fund these at NC resident tuition rates and not at full tuition rates which would be much more expensive. Baseball has done well fund raising on its own but is no where close to being self sufficient.
05-14-2020 10:05 AM
Gary Miller Offline
1st String

I Root For: UNCW Seahawks
SoCon Baseball tournament cut down to only four teams in 2021. I'm assuming it's only a matter of time until the CAA makes a similar decision to the ones being announced by other mid major conferences.
05-14-2020 10:10 AM
70shawk Offline
All American

05-14-2020 02:05 PM
Advertisement

B_Hawk06 Offline

(05-14-2020 02:05 PM)70shawk Wrote:  Charleston’s mid-majors prepare for financial hit: ‘This is gonna change college athletics’

Could only read the first paragraph, but it seems as though the article supports the point I was making.

Things are about to change drastically and it’s not going to be good for mid majors.

05-14-2020 05:18 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
(05-14-2020 08:20 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  
(05-14-2020 05:30 AM)82hawk Wrote:  Lol. NO athletic program at UNCW "funds itself". Student fees fund everything. Without them, there are no athletic programs at UNCW and the same with the majority of other athletic programs.

Then why was Kelly Mehrtens looking to take money away from Baseball in order to pay Buzz Peterson?

They raise money well over and above the sliver they get from student fees. Hence why they've been able to afford the new facilities. They have donors and businesses that specifically give to Baseball.

About 73% of the athletic budget comes from student fees. Tell me more about baseball. You're just wrong.
05-14-2020 06:07 PM
Hall of Famer

(05-14-2020 06:07 PM)82hawk Wrote:  
(05-14-2020 08:20 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  

About 73% of the athletic budget comes from student fees. Tell me more about baseball. You're just wrong.

100 % of the money we need for hosting tournaments and for our $2M practice facility (and any other facilities, tech upgrades, etc) gets raised by the program itself. It’s the most self-sufficient mid-major program in the nation because of all of Scalf and Hood’s hard work. That’s the only reason why the program has grown to where it is and why no economic downturn in the athletic dept has negatively impacted it.

Student fee money covers basic needs, yes. Scalf and Hood raise the money to make it an elite program.
(This post was last modified: 05-14-2020 07:46 PM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
05-14-2020 07:39 PM
70shawk Offline
All American

05-15-2020 07:52 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.