Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Great Depression of College Sports.
Bookmark and Share
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
The Great Depression of College Sports.
Minnesota is facing a $4 million deficit and "everything is on the table." Travel reduction could lead to the elimination of sports programs.
05-09-2020 06:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
RE: The Great Depression of College Sports.
(05-09-2020 06:30 PM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  Minnesota is facing a $4 million deficit and "everything is on the table." Travel reduction could lead to the elimination of sports programs.

If Fall sports are cancelled, or there are no fans allowed, it will devastate the athletic programs at a lot more schools than the University of Minnesota.
05-09-2020 07:14 PM
PTJR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LR / UR / CU
(05-09-2020 07:14 PM)mjs Wrote:  
(05-09-2020 06:30 PM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  Minnesota is facing a $4 million deficit and "everything is on the table." Travel reduction could lead to the elimination of sports programs.

If Fall sports are cancelled, or there are no fans allowed, it will devastate the athletic programs at a lot more schools than the University of Minnesota.

With the amount of money at stake in college football, there is no way the football season will be cancelled. Delayed, maybe even as far as next spring, or shortened to just conference, etc., but no way it’s completely cancelled. The big boys of college football will play to empty stadiums if they have to, but they will be determined to get that TV money, one way or another!
05-09-2020 09:04 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-09-2020 09:04 PM)PTJR Wrote:  

With the amount of money at stake in college football, there is no way the football season will be cancelled. Delayed, maybe even as far as next spring, or shortened to just conference, etc., but no way it’s completely cancelled. The big boys of college football will play to empty stadiums if they have to, but they will be determined to get that TV money, one way or another!

The governor of Oregon has already said "no" to sports through September. He won't be the only governor to do this. On the other hand, no governors from SEC states will dare to do this. Even a pandemic won't stop college football in the South. (I am only half-kidding. If this thing "explodes" in the South, with all the re-openings, I have no clue what will happen with sports or anything else. I do think it may slow in July and August. It's a "second wave" in the Fall that I am most worried about).
05-10-2020 12:14 PM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I'm ready to roll. Since I don't know anyone with the virus, I would have no problem going to a ballgame. There is always a chance of catching something in a public situation.
05-10-2020 01:18 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I honestly am not that worried living in Arkansas (at least right now). I feel differently when I talk to my cousin, in New Jersey, who talks about his neighbor dying, at least one relative dying, and another relative surviving after spending 40 days in the hospital. It is definitely "real" for him and his family.

Still, I'm not rushing out to the movie theater, restaurants, or LA Fitness.
05-10-2020 02:30 PM
Advertisement

PTJR Offline
Heisman

(05-10-2020 01:18 PM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  I'm ready to roll. Since I don't know anyone with the virus, I would have no problem going to a ballgame. There is always a chance of catching something in a public situation.

As long as you go to a ballgame where everyone there is from an insulated community like yours apparently is, I can understand your confidence. But, that’s a very limited selection of ballgames right now.

If testing gets up to where we need it to be, with contact tracing so those who have been exposed can 14 day quarantine, then more expanded stuff can reasonably happen. My fear is the same as MJS, that we rush this thing so a second wave comes along and were all back quarantined!

And there’s always a chance of catching something in public, true. But before there wasn’t a chance of catching something that had no treatment that could kill you. Changes the equation!
05-10-2020 05:31 PM
PTJR Offline
Heisman

(05-10-2020 12:14 PM)mjs Wrote:  

The governor of Oregon has already said "no" to sports through September. He won't be the only governor to do this. On the other hand, no governors from SEC states will dare to do this. Even a pandemic won't stop college football in the South. (I am only half-kidding. If this thing "explodes" in the South, with all the re-openings, I have no clue what will happen with sports or anything else. I do think it may slow in July and August. It's a "second wave" in the Fall that I am most worried about).

The Governor of Oregon has said no sports “with large crowds” through September. Games with limited or no crowds could be played as of now. And that is exactly what will happen, if necessary, to preserve TV contract obligations and money!
05-10-2020 05:52 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-10-2020 05:52 PM)PTJR Wrote:  

The Governor of Oregon has said no sports “with large crowds” through September. Games with limited or no crowds could be played as of now. And that is exactly what will happen, if necessary, to preserve TV contract obligations and money!

That makes sense. Until a couple of college players test positive. Can't imagine that team, or it's opponents, will continue to play their games. If the NBA shut down after one player tested positive, they won't let college "kids" continue to play games.
05-10-2020 06:01 PM
PTJR Offline
Heisman

(05-10-2020 06:01 PM)mjs Wrote:  
(05-09-2020 07:14 PM)mjs Wrote:  If Fall sports are cancelled, or there are no fans allowed, it will devastate the athletic programs at a lot more schools than the University of Minnesota.

That makes sense. Until a couple of college players test positive. Can't imagine that team, or it's opponents, will continue to play their games. If the NBA shut down after one player tested positive, they won't let college "kids" continue to play games.

Little bit different situation with college. They can test returning players individually as they return, and if positive, keep them away from the rest of the team for the 14 day quarantine period. The NBA didn’t have that opportunity since they had all been together.

In some ways, online classes really bode better for fall college athletics than on campus classes do. Of course that doesn’t bode as well for Universities budget, as a lot of students will balk at paying the same freight for online vs on campus classes. But it sure would make fall sports easier to figure out!
05-10-2020 07:04 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(05-10-2020 06:01 PM)mjs Wrote:  
(05-09-2020 07:14 PM)mjs Wrote:  If Fall sports are cancelled, or there are no fans allowed, it will devastate the athletic programs at a lot more schools than the University of Minnesota.

There's a big difference between the NBA now and the NBA in March. The March shutdown was because of how unexpected that one positive test was. When the league plans to restart and begins testing all of its employees and players, they will most certainly find positives. That likely won't lead to a full stop, but rather just isolation of those infected and moving on.
05-10-2020 08:18 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline

(05-10-2020 05:31 PM)PTJR Wrote:  
(05-10-2020 01:18 PM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  I'm ready to roll. Since I don't know anyone with the virus, I would have no problem going to a ballgame. There is always a chance of catching something in a public situation.

As long as you go to a ballgame where everyone there is from an insulated community like yours apparently is, I can understand your confidence. But, that’s a very limited selection of ballgames right now.

If testing gets up to where we need it to be, with contact tracing so those who have been exposed can 14 day quarantine, then more expanded stuff can reasonably happen. My fear is the same as MJS, that we rush this thing so a second wave comes along and were all back quarantined!

And there’s always a chance of catching something in public, true. But before there wasn’t a chance of catching something that had no treatment that could kill you. Changes the equation!

Pandemic's often end Socially rather than medically. Eventually they hit a point where enough people are no longer scared of them, and choose to accept the disease is out there and go on with there lives understanding that.

As 2K die per day, that's not happening in the US immediately, but in states not hard hit, you're already beginning to see some of those people pop up.

Personally, I have little fear of going to a sporting event right now. I'd like for some changes to be made to offer more protection, but in terms of the virus, I am not afraid of it. I know others who haven't left their house in 45 days.
05-10-2020 08:23 PM
PTJR Offline
Heisman

(05-10-2020 08:23 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

Pandemic's often end Socially rather than medically. Eventually they hit a point where enough people are no longer scared of them, and choose to accept the disease is out there and go on with there lives understanding that.

As 2K die per day, that's not happening in the US immediately, but in states not hard hit, you're already beginning to see some of those people pop up.

Personally, I have little fear of going to a sporting event right now. I'd like for some changes to be made to offer more protection, but in terms of the virus, I am not afraid of it. I know others who haven't left their house in 45 days.

In a nutshell, you point out the problem for sports, and reopening in general. You do not fear Covid-19, but a majority of people do. It is gratifying that you are willing to abide by modifications for protection, but the problem is that many who don’t fear the virus don’t accept the modifications, and won’t abide by them. So how can large numbers of people feel ok about being in close proximity with each other knowing there are some in that crowd that don’t want to abide by any restrictions, and are putting all the rest at unacceptable risk?
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2020 10:03 PM by PTJR.)
05-10-2020 09:40 PM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

Well, they need to figure out what they are going to do. One year like this will injure college sports (already has). Two years like this could kill college sports. People like me are going to get out and go to events. If they don't want to have sporting events, I will find something else to do.
05-11-2020 09:22 AM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I don't mean to be unkind and rude, gentlemen, but the sanitary conditions that my parents grew up in were far worse than what we are facing even this day. And as fathers were worrying where their next meals were going to come from in the Depression, yes, they would gladly have accepted a considerable degree of health risk in order to hold a job so they could buy shoes for their children. I remember when both my sets of grandparents got indoor toilets. Hey, I have six children and 18 grandchildren. I have lived in a septic environment for years. When a grandson says, "Blow my nose," I don't get squeamish, no matter what sort of medical ailment he might have. I grew up on raw milk from our own cows that Mama strained through a boiled rag, the disease of brucelosis notwithstanding

A reasonably intelligent person is able to judge how much medical risk he takes in ordinary situations. When I go to Booneville Walmart and see the usual clientel, I KNOW I am taking medical risks. No insult intended, just assessing what I see. But the fact remains that even with the avalanche of relatives in my extended family, I do not personally know anyone who has had Covid, so, no, I do not perceive a major risk in attending sporting events. And the Governor himself just reported that we currently have 90-something hospitalizations in Arkansas from Covid. That is slightly more than one per county. For crying out loud, even if it were cholera and we had only one case per county it would not make me nervous. And if they are not sick enough to be hospitalized, then the ailment is not all that serious, even if they do call it Covid.

I am ready to roll. I wish I were going to baseball games now, and then Lamar football games in the fall, and then I hope I get to go to Trojan games in November. But if UALR gets squeamish and doesn't play, then I will just take my business somewhere else. I realize they have to be prudent, but if they are flinching at a lower level of infectious disease than the one I grew up in, then I refuse to be impressed with their restrictions. Life involves risk. Sure, I might catch some disease at a ballgame, but I am willing to accept the risk as things stand now.
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2020 10:40 AM by MICHAELSPAPPY.)
05-11-2020 10:04 AM
PTJR Offline
Heisman

(05-11-2020 10:04 AM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  I don't mean to be unkind and rude, gentlemen, but the sanitary conditions that my parents grew up in were far worse than what we are facing even this day. And as fathers were worrying where their next meals were going to come from in the Depression, yes, they would gladly have accepted a considerable degree of health risk in order to hold a job so they could buy shoes for their children. I remember when both my sets of grandparents got indoor toilets. Hey, I have six children and 18 grandchildren. I have lived in a septic environment for years. When a grandson says, "Blow my nose," I don't get squeamish, no matter what sort of medical ailment he might have. I grew up on raw milk from our own cows that Mama strained through a boiled rag, the disease of brucelosis notwithstanding

A reasonably intelligent person is able to judge how much medical risk he takes in ordinary situations. When I go to Booneville Walmart and see the usual clientel, I KNOW I am taking medical risks. No insult intended, just assessing what I see. But the fact remains that even with the avalanche of relatives in my extended family, I do not personally know anyone who has had Covid, so, no, I do not perceive a major risk in attending sporting events. And the Governor himself just reported that we currently have 90-something hospitalizations in Arkansas from Covid. That is slightly more than one per county. For crying out loud, even if it were cholera and we had only one case per county it would not make me nervous. And if they are not sick enough to be hospitalized, then the ailment is not all that serious, even if they do call it Covid.

I am ready to roll. I wish I were going to baseball games now, and then Lamar football games in the fall, and then I hope I get to go to Trojan games in November. But if UALR gets squeamish and doesn't play, then I will just take my business somewhere else. I realize they have to be prudent, but if they are flinching at a lower level of infectious disease than the one I grew up in, then I refuse to be impressed with their restrictions. Life involves risk. Sure, I might catch some disease at a ballgame, but I am willing to accept the risk as things stand now.

I appreciate that you evaluate your situation from your own experience and perspective. But you are ignoring a very important aspect of this pandemic. You may believe that the personal risks you may take in going about business as usual are acceptable to you since you live in a pretty much pandemic free place. But given the highly contagious nature of Covid-19, it may not only be yourself that you are taking that risk for.

If you go somewhere outside your bubble and are exposed to the virus, you may take the infection home to your bubble and not even know it. People without symptoms have been shown to be infectious. Then, given the close nature of your family, etc., you might unknowingly infect that group. And since we know very little about why this virus effects some so differently than others, the cat will be out of the bag so to speak. Something to think about.
05-11-2020 11:44 AM
Advertisement

Robert C Offline
littlerocktrojans.com

I Root For: LR,Tulsa
(05-11-2020 10:04 AM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  I don't mean to be unkind and rude, gentlemen, but the sanitary conditions that my parents grew up in were far worse than what we are facing even this day. And as fathers were worrying where their next meals were going to come from in the Depression, yes, they would gladly have accepted a considerable degree of health risk in order to hold a job so they could buy shoes for their children. I remember when both my sets of grandparents got indoor toilets. Hey, I have six children and 18 grandchildren. I have lived in a septic environment for years. When a grandson says, "Blow my nose," I don't get squeamish, no matter what sort of medical ailment he might have. I grew up on raw milk from our own cows that Mama strained through a boiled rag, the disease of brucelosis notwithstanding

+1 here Pappy. I am more afraid of the side effects of the lockdowns and restrictions than of getting a fever and cough from this virus. Sure if you are elderly and vulnerable, please by all means take precautions. If anyone of any age should catch the bug, stay home and recover. For the balance of the population - it's time to keep calm and PLAY BALL!!!
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2020 05:06 PM by Robert C.)
05-11-2020 05:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PTJR Offline
Heisman

(05-11-2020 05:06 PM)Robert C Wrote:  

+1 here Pappy. I am more afraid of the side effects of the lockdowns and restrictions than of getting a fever and cough from this virus. Sure if you are elderly and vulnerable, please by all means take precautions. If anyone of any age should catch the bug, stay home and recover. For the balance of the population - it's time to keep calm and PLAY BALL!!!

You and I certainly view this pandemic differently, and believe it or not, I hope you are right and I’m wrong. If you are right, all will be well and I’ll just look like an old maid who is overly cautious. But, if I have the more realistic assessment of this pandemic, your advised plan of behavior could result in very bad results. To me, any virus that can kill more Americans in eight weeks than in the entire 15-18 years of the Vietnam War should be considered more seriously than a “bug” that one catches and stays at home to recover. Like I said, I sure hope you are right if large numbers of people decide that the epidemiologist experts don’t know what they are talking about!
05-11-2020 08:28 PM
ez272 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Little Rock
I am with ptjr on this. How many people do you infect before you find out you have covid19. And how many of those people die! Believe me, I am ready for normal. I dined out last night. Thankfully only 2 other tables were occupied and when someone started to sit at the table next to us we asked them to pick another table and they did. Covid19 is not the common cold. In just 2 months it has killed 94 Arkansans. And if all 94 died in a hospital, they died alone. Because once you enter a hospital you do not get any visitors. Covid19 sucks.
05-12-2020 10:37 AM
chiefsfan Offline

(05-10-2020 09:40 PM)PTJR Wrote:  
(05-10-2020 08:23 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

In a nutshell, you point out the problem for sports, and reopening in general. You do not fear Covid-19, but a majority of people do. It is gratifying that you are willing to abide by modifications for protection, but the problem is that many who don’t fear the virus don’t accept the modifications, and won’t abide by them. So how can large numbers of people feel ok about being in close proximity with each other knowing there are some in that crowd that don’t want to abide by any restrictions, and are putting all the rest at unacceptable risk?

Even if large crowds were acceptable at sporting events, I doubt some fans will return until there is a vaccine. That being said, if someone wants to go and feels comfortable going, they should have the ability to do so.
05-16-2020 01:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.