Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NMSU AD Mario Moccia talks WAC football
Bookmark and Share
dancingNMSUaggie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NMSU
NMSU AD Mario Moccia talks WAC football
Finally!! Someone who actually knows stuff. Today, Mario Moccia was interviewed by some Albq sports radio guys and he said at next WAC meeting WAC FBS, not FCS, FBS football was on the agenda. I like that Hurd and the WAC ADs are thinking about restoring FBS football to the WAC! Yeah!!!
05-07-2020 09:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

chrisattsu Offline
Mom's Favorite

I Root For: Tarleton / TXST
RE: NMSU AD Mario Moccia talks WAC football
(05-07-2020 09:53 PM)dancingNMSUaggie Wrote:  Finally!! Someone who actually knows stuff. Today, Mario Moccia was interviewed by some Albq sports radio guys and he said at next WAC meeting WAC FBS, not FCS, FBS football was on the agenda. I like that Hurd and the WAC ADs are thinking about restoring FBS football to the WAC! Yeah!!!
Got a link?
05-08-2020 12:01 AM
WACfan86 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UTRGV
05-08-2020 05:32 AM
WACfan86 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UTRGV
(05-08-2020 12:01 AM)chrisattsu Wrote:  
(05-07-2020 09:53 PM)dancingNMSUaggie Wrote:  Finally!! Someone who actually knows stuff. Today, Mario Moccia was interviewed by some Albq sports radio guys and he said at next WAC meeting WAC FBS, not FCS, FBS football was on the agenda. I like that Hurd and the WAC ADs are thinking about restoring FBS football to the WAC! Yeah!!!
Got a link?

15:00 mark

COGS02-13-banana03-nutkick03-nutkick03-nutkick
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2020 08:24 AM by WACfan86.)
05-08-2020 08:15 AM
Advertisement

NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

I don't know if it will help Tarleton State and Dixie State in the interim but I could see a WAC future where the conference adds Liberty, UMass, UConn, as football only members and coaxes maybe Montana, Montana State, Idaho, Sam Houston State, and Stephen F Austin to move up to FBS level and become full WAC members to form a 9-team FBS football conference and a 14-team basketball conference. Just a thought. BTW. I am not trying to start another "hypothetical" conference discuss. I'm just putting into words what Moccia threw out as possibilities in his football conversation.
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2020 09:10 AM by NMSUPistolPete.)
05-08-2020 09:08 AM
PojoaquePosse Offline
Blowhard

In his “Ask the AD” interview this week, he also addressed football. He said he asked for all the info, bylaws, rules, etc. be laid out at the next AD meeting with the WAC next week. Lots of football chatter.
05-08-2020 09:12 AM
Itinerant Texan Offline
Shot Caller

I Root For: On Ye Tarleton!
(05-08-2020 09:08 AM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  I don't know if it will help Tarleton State and Dixie State in the interim but I could see a WAC future where the conference adds Liberty, UMass, UConn, as football only members and coaxes maybe Montana, Montana State, Idaho, Sam Houston State, and Stephen F Austin to move up to FBS level and become full WAC members to form a 9-team FBS football conference and a 14-team basketball conference. Just a thought. BTW. I am not trying to start another "hypothetical" conference discuss. I'm just putting into words what Moccia threw out as possibilities in his football conversation.

Pretty sure the WAC, and he touched on this, will end up being a regional conference consisting of full-members. Sounds like the COVID issue only reinforces that idea. Tarleton, Dixie, a few SLC schools and a few Big Sky makes a lot of sense. NMSU will then have to decide what they want to do.
05-08-2020 09:31 AM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(05-08-2020 09:08 AM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  I don't know if it will help Tarleton State and Dixie State in the interim but I could see a WAC future where the conference adds Liberty, UMass, UConn, as football only members and coaxes maybe Montana, Montana State, Idaho, Sam Houston State, and Stephen F Austin to move up to FBS level and become full WAC members to form a 9-team FBS football conference and a 14-team basketball conference. Just a thought. BTW. I am not trying to start another "hypothetical" conference discuss. I'm just putting into words what Moccia threw out as possibilities in his football conversation.

Once Marshall moved from IAA to IA after the 1996 season, I always thought the next 3 to make the move would have been McNeese State, Montana and Appy State. It took Appy State another 18 years to make the move but McNeese and Montana are there 24 years later,

I read egriz.com sometimes and they seem perfectly fine with being IAA, ever so often you will see a thread about a former IAA member such as Marshall, Troy, MTSU or others and wishing they were still able to play them but you hardly ever see IAA to IA threads.

Schools that I don't think I will ever see IA (Im 48)
Youngstown State
McNeese State
Missouri State
Montana
Montana State
Delaware
EKU
Jacksonville State

Each school listed as multiple things hindering a possible move. Everyone remembers Youngstown for what they done from the late 80s to mid 90s. But they have made the playoffs only twice since Tressel took off to Ohio State, once in 2006 and in 2016 if things hold the way they do they will make the playoffs in another 6 years 2026. They are also broke.

I don't for see WAC FBS anytime soon. The best way that was to ever happen is if CUSA split from mostly East to West and then they absorbed NMSU and maybe a few others.
05-10-2020 08:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.