Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Conference Changes
Bookmark and Share
Zorch Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M
RE: Conference Changes
(06-01-2020 01:11 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  Yes, my Tribe friends. Let the Mickey-love wash over you like taking a bath in a cold Georgia crick.

Thinking of Mickey Matthews and JMU .....the only thing I feel washing over me is vomit !
06-01-2020 02:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

I Root For: William & Mary
(06-01-2020 01:11 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  Yes, my Tribe friends. Let the Mickey-love wash over you like taking a bath in a cold Georgia crick.

DADGUMMIT, HYPER!
06-01-2020 02:18 PM
Tribal Offline

...downstream from a slaughterhouse

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
06-01-2020 02:49 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
Big fan of everyone saying they agreed with Mickey on here. Never thought I'd see the day!
06-01-2020 02:49 PM
Tribal Offline

Conference Changes
What are your purple buddies saying about the topic at hand?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
06-01-2020 02:53 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

Oh, it's a giant cluster-eff of disagreement. The FBS desires of many (myself included) further complicate the decision.

There's people advocating for FBS ASAP. There's people talking about how they used to feel that way, but now they know better because look at ODU in financial turmoil. There's a former(?) big donor in Charlotte who just re-posts 5-10 year old news article texts to make our leaders look bad. There's folks banging the drum about how going to Frisco every year keeps our fanbase engaged & it's way better than a G5 FBS existence.

Mostly, the conference conversation focuses on teaming up with Marshall, ODU & App to start creating something regional. I mean, even if this is kinda "consensus", it's still only like 40% consensus. It's just that every other opinion has way less support.
06-01-2020 02:59 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

So maybe not consensus, but a plurality of people share that opinion. SEE GUYS, I KNOW WORDS AND STUFF.
06-01-2020 03:00 PM
nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary
I, for one, don’t understand the lack of love for Mickey by Tribe Nation.

At least we could beat some of his teams; it’s been a lot of beat downs since he’s been gone.

I was hoping he would stay at JMU forever!
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2020 03:49 PM by nj alum.)
06-01-2020 03:48 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

I’m sayin! That 2013 game where he effectively gave away a possession by not properly preparing his team captain for the coin flip stands out in my mind.
06-01-2020 03:50 PM
TDenverFan Offline
All American

This is a more short term thought, but the MEAC is falling apart, and I would bet most of its members are looking for new homes now. Florida A&M is likely leaving, Bethune Cookman might follow, NC A&T is leaving, Hampton left, Savannah State is leaving. Would the CAA have any interest in Howard? Respected private school in the DC area. Facilities aren't great, but having more games in DC would be a benefit to almost every CAA school.
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2020 07:51 AM by TDenverFan.)
06-02-2020 07:49 AM
LeadBolt Offline
All American

(06-01-2020 03:50 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  I’m sayin! That 2013 game where he effectively gave away a possession by not properly preparing his team captain for the coin flip stands out in my mind.

I'm still amazed that the team captain at a reputable institution of higher learning would need to be properly prepared for a coin flip. Hmm, maybe I answered my own quandary...
06-02-2020 08:21 AM
mrjoolius Online
Hall of Famer

(06-02-2020 07:49 AM)TDenverFan Wrote:  This is a more short term thought, but the MEAC is falling apart, and I would bet most of its members are looking for new homes now. Florida A&M is likely leaving, Bethune Cookman might follow, NC A&T is leaving, Hampton left, Savannah State is leaving. Would the CAA have any interest in Howard? Respected private school in the DC area. Facilities aren't great, but having more games in DC would be a benefit to almost every CAA school.
CAA school averages - 16,926 enrollment, 62% acceptance rate, and 78% graduation rate

Of the MEAC schools, Howard is the only one approaching a CAA level school. Of all the current schools, it is the only school...
a) in the bus-to-game footprint.
b) Has solid academic standing (graduation rates > 50% and acceptance rates < 50%).
c) Is of a sufficient size

Howard (Washington DC) 9,139 enrollment - (32% accepted/62% grad)

Other MEAC in footprint
Norfolk St (Norfolk VA) 5,204 (90%/37%)
NC A&T (Greensboro NC) 12,142 (61%/53%)
NC Central (Durham NC) 8,207 (47%/46%)
Morgan St (Baltimore MD) 7,712 (66%/39%)
06-02-2020 08:50 AM
TDenverFan Offline
All American

Yeah, Howard is the only MEAC school I could possibly see. I think Hampton would also have interest in the CAA, but I would guess W&M would block them, and they don't offer as much as Howard would, I think
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2020 09:31 AM by TDenverFan.)
06-02-2020 09:31 AM
Tribe32 Online
All American

I Root For: Tribe
Interesting conversation about potential realignment. I think the other thing that we may see more of, especially if colleges go to more remote classes, is that recruits may go to school closer to home. That would be huge for William and Mary given proximity to Tidewater and Richmond. It may make a ton of sense to starting thinking of just VA and the DC area for a conference.
06-02-2020 12:54 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-02-2020 08:21 AM)LeadBolt Wrote:  
(06-01-2020 03:50 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  I’m sayin! That 2013 game where he effectively gave away a possession by not properly preparing his team captain for the coin flip stands out in my mind.

I'm still amazed that the team captain at a reputable institution of higher learning would need to be properly prepared for a coin flip. Hmm, maybe I answered my own quandary...

Sure, I guess. I don’t recall if we had the same captains at the toss every game or not. You’re right that our player calling it should know the directive “we want to kick” means defer if we win the toss. I know you’re just cracking an easy academics joke, but clearly the coach should prep his captains and that failure was on the Mickster. I was so depressed that game even though I drank about 600 beers in the teepee and in the QB Club Lot at halftime.
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2020 04:52 PM by HyperDuke.)
06-02-2020 04:52 PM
LeadBolt Offline
All American

(06-02-2020 04:52 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  
(06-02-2020 08:21 AM)LeadBolt Wrote:  

Sure, I guess. I don’t recall if we had the same captains at the toss every game or not. You’re right that our player calling it should know the directive “we want to kick” means defer if we win the toss. I know you’re just cracking an easy academics joke, but clearly the coach should prep his captains and that failure was on the Mickster. I was so depressed that game even though I drank about 600 beers in the teepee and in the QB Club Lot at halftime.

It was just too easy to pass up!

Maybe together we are manic-depressive as I remember being positively giddy.
06-02-2020 06:18 PM
Tribal Offline

(06-02-2020 09:31 AM)TDenverFan Wrote:  Yeah, Howard is the only MEAC school I could possibly see. I think Hampton would also have interest in the CAA, but I would guess W&M would block them, and they don't offer as much as Howard would, I think

You think WM's current administration would block Hampton? That's funny.
06-02-2020 09:58 PM
Zorch Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M
(06-02-2020 08:50 AM)mrjoolius Wrote:  
(06-02-2020 07:49 AM)TDenverFan Wrote:  ....Would the CAA have any interest in Howard? Respected private school in the DC area. Facilities aren't great, but having more games in DC would be a benefit to almost every CAA school.

CAA school averages - 16,926 enrollment, 62% acceptance rate, and 78% graduation rate

Of the MEAC schools, Howard is the only one approaching a CAA level school. Of all the current schools, it is the only school...
a) in the bus-to-game footprint.
b) Has solid academic standing (graduation rates > 50% and acceptance rates < 50%).
c) Is of a sufficient size

Howard (Washington DC) 9,139 enrollment - (32% accepted/62% grad)...

(06-02-2020 09:31 AM)TDenverFan Wrote:  Yeah, Howard is the only MEAC school I could possibly see. I think Hampton would also have interest in the CAA, but I would guess W&M would block them, and they don't offer as much as Howard would, I think

Not so fast on Howard. See the article linked below. Howard received sanctions from the NCAA for a poor Academic Progress Rate (APR) score.

(Stats Perform) - Four FCS programs are ineligible for the 2020 football postseason after receiving NCAA Academic Progress Rate sanctions on Tuesday.
Southland Conference members McNeese and Stephen F. Austin, Howard from the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference and Prairie View A&M from the Southwestern Athletic Conference fell below the necessary 930 APR score on a scale of 1,000. The scores measure the classroom performance of a team over a four-year period, in this case the 2015-16 through 2018-19 academic years.
The four teams will have four practice hours adjusted to academic activities each week. In addition, Howard will not be allowed to have spring practice next year.
APR penalties were levied on 21 teams from various sports at 13 Division I schools, including 15 that received postseason ineligibility.
Any penalized school may request a waiver from some or all penalty elements. Waivers are overseen by the NCAA's committee on academics.

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=...m=&src=FCS
06-03-2020 12:20 AM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-02-2020 09:58 PM)Tribal Wrote:  

You think WM's current administration would block Hampton? That's funny.

Honestly, I don't understand why W&M would block Hampton at all. Two very different institutions who just happen to be geographically close. Most of the time these conference blocks are based on fears about recruiting. Is that even a real threat to W&M?

The person who mentioned Howard made me immediately think about how Hampton seems WAY more likely than Howard, just based on facilities and readiness.
06-03-2020 09:25 AM
Tribeheart Offline
Heisman

Not a positive reflection on London and staff, who own the last two years of that Howard APR progress report, regardless if he was not there after November of the last year. With the coaching issues, transfers, and now the sanctions, that program will be reeling for a long time.
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2020 04:31 PM by Tribeheart.)
06-03-2020 04:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.