Hilldog Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
RE: WAC Football
(07-20-2020 01:51 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  
(07-20-2020 01:37 PM)PojoaquePosse Wrote:  
(07-20-2020 11:44 AM)NotANewbie Wrote:  
(07-20-2020 10:43 AM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  
(07-20-2020 09:45 AM)PojoaquePosse Wrote:  States, schools and cities in the west and southwest are always going to be much further apart than what you see on the east coast. That's just the way it is. 7-10 hours apart is nothing in the west. That's actually a pretty close distance.

I think we all get that, but even then relatively close does not equal actually close. By your standards then I am pretty close to Las Cruces, but I would not want to spontaneously make that drive. I doubt driving 7-10 hours is something y'all do on a whim, but maybe you do. Regardless, it is what it is.

Four hours I do on a whim. Seven to 10 hours I have to think about a little. Twelve or more I usually plan ahead.

Exactly. I drive to Las Vegas (8 hours), Phoenix (7) and Los Angeles (10-11) pretty regularly. My wife, on Mother's Day, wanted to do a day trip to Las Cruces (3) just to eat lunch and grab some custard. I've driven to Amarillo (4) and back in one day.

A wife who wants to do random road trips to college towns. Where do people find these amazing bachelorettes?

(I spend nearly every weekend September to March driving to college FB/BB games -- praying that's permitted next time I'm in a relationship)

Interesting! I've talked to people who work at Cal Poly and for basketball games, they say that even though they are about a four hour drive from LA, on Saturdays, they don't get many fans for LA schools making the drive up.
07-20-2020 05:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NotANewbie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tennesse, NMSU
(07-20-2020 05:03 PM)Hilldog Wrote:  
(07-20-2020 10:43 AM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  I think we all get that, but even then relatively close does not equal actually close. By your standards then I am pretty close to Las Cruces, but I would not want to spontaneously make that drive. I doubt driving 7-10 hours is something y'all do on a whim, but maybe you do. Regardless, it is what it is.

Four hours I do on a whim. Seven to 10 hours I have to think about a little. Twelve or more I usually plan ahead.

Exactly. I drive to Las Vegas (8 hours), Phoenix (7) and Los Angeles (10-11) pretty regularly. My wife, on Mother's Day, wanted to do a day trip to Las Cruces (3) just to eat lunch and grab some custard. I've driven to Amarillo (4) and back in one day.

A wife who wants to do random road trips to college towns. Where do people find these amazing bachelorettes?

(I spend nearly every weekend September to March driving to college FB/BB games -- praying that's permitted next time I'm in a relationship)

Interesting! I've talked to people who work at Cal Poly and for basketball games, they say that even though they are about a four hour drive from LA, on Saturdays, they don't get many fans for LA schools making the drive up.

Keep in mind that Cal poly SLO is about 4 hours from the LA metro area, but I believe the earlier post refers to Cal Poly Pomona which is part of the LA metro area less than an hour from downtown LA - except at rush hours.
07-20-2020 05:47 PM
Trod0 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NMSU
(07-20-2020 09:45 AM)PojoaquePosse Wrote:  States, schools and cities in the west and southwest are always going to be much further apart than what you see on the east coast. That's just the way it is. 7-10 hours apart is nothing in the west. That's actually a pretty close distance.

I think we all get that, but even then relatively close does not equal actually close. By your standards then I am pretty close to Las Cruces, but I would not want to spontaneously make that drive. I doubt driving 7-10 hours is something y'all do on a whim, but maybe you do. Regardless, it is what it is.

PoJo, where did you guys eat in Cruces? I’d assume it was Caliche's for custard?
07-20-2020 06:49 PM
PojoaquePosse Offline
Blowhard

(07-20-2020 06:49 PM)Trod0 Wrote:  

PoJo, where did you guys eat in Cruces? I’d assume it was Caliche's for custard?

Ding, ding, ding!! Yes, Caliche's for custard.
07-21-2020 08:36 AM
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

(07-21-2020 08:36 AM)PojoaquePosse Wrote:  
(07-20-2020 10:43 AM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  I think we all get that, but even then relatively close does not equal actually close. By your standards then I am pretty close to Las Cruces, but I would not want to spontaneously make that drive. I doubt driving 7-10 hours is something y'all do on a whim, but maybe you do. Regardless, it is what it is.

When I left Las Cruces for AZ, the place was called Scoopy's. I used to go to the one on Valley Drive. The building was a converted Blake's Lotaburger drive up. If I remember correctly, the owner had to change the name because there was already a franchise back east operating under that name. So, he changed it to avoid copy right infringement. But that place has been around for many years. I've been in AZ for over twenty years now. Before Caliche's (Scoopy's), I used to always stop by a Dairy Queen which used to be located on the corner of Valley Drive and the Avenida De Mesilla. My grandmother was partial to a pineapple sundaes when I would come visit her on Sundays. A good memory from back in my college days.

Anyway, from Las Cruces to Phoenix is about 6-7 hours by ground transit. By Air, its probably closer to 4 hours total; when you take into account travel time to El Paso, check-in time at the airport, and travel from the airport to lodging near GCU. GCU probably has the easiest travel in the WAC; being well placed for ground transport to CBU (approx. 5 hours), NMSU (approx. 6 hours), Dixie State (approx. 7 hours), and Utah Valley (approx. 10 hour). And, a short flight to all. The most difficult travel in the WAC is probably Seattle to UTRGV (Edinburg, TX); which requires at least a 6.5 hour flight time with one stop in Dallas before landing in McAllen, TX. Its a whole day of travel just for the team to get settled in. I can imagine a trip from Seattle to Stephenville might be just as difficult.
(This post was last modified: 07-21-2020 11:58 AM by NMSUPistolPete.)
07-21-2020 11:52 AM
PojoaquePosse Offline
Blowhard

(07-21-2020 11:52 AM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  
(07-21-2020 08:36 AM)PojoaquePosse Wrote:  
(07-20-2020 11:44 AM)NotANewbie Wrote:  Four hours I do on a whim. Seven to 10 hours I have to think about a little. Twelve or more I usually plan ahead.

When I left Las Cruces for AZ, the place was called Scoopy's. I used to go to the one on Valley Drive. The building was a converted Blake's Lotaburger drive up. If I remember correctly, the owner had to change the name because there was already a franchise back east operating under that name. So, he changed it to avoid copy right infringement. But that place has been around for many years. I've been in AZ for over twenty years now. Before Caliche's (Scoopy's), I used to always stop by a Dairy Queen which used to be located on the corner of Valley Drive and the Avenida De Mesilla. My grandmother was partial to a pineapple sundaes when I would come visit her on Sundays. A good memory from back in my college days.

Anyway, from Las Cruces to Phoenix is about 6-7 hours by ground transit. By Air, its probably closer to 4 hours total; when you take into account travel time to El Paso, check-in time at the airport, and travel from the airport to lodging near GCU. GCU probably has the easiest travel in the WAC; being well placed for ground transport to CBU (approx. 5 hours), NMSU (approx. 6 hours), Dixie State (approx. 7 hours), and Utah Valley (approx. 10 hour). And, a short flight to all. The most difficult travel in the WAC is probably Seattle to UTRGV (Edinburg, TX); which requires at least a 6.5 hour flight time with one stop in Dallas before landing in McAllen, TX. Its a whole day of travel just for the team to get settled in. I can imagine a trip from Seattle to Stephenville might be just as difficult.

I don't remember Scoopy's or Caliche's from my time in LC. Even if it was there, I doubt I could afford it. But it is a family favorite now. My nephew, who graduated from NMSU about 5 years ago, turned us on to it.
07-21-2020 02:06 PM
Hilldog Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
(07-20-2020 05:47 PM)NotANewbie Wrote:  
(07-20-2020 11:44 AM)NotANewbie Wrote:  Four hours I do on a whim. Seven to 10 hours I have to think about a little. Twelve or more I usually plan ahead.

Keep in mind that Cal poly SLO is about 4 hours from the LA metro area, but I believe the earlier post refers to Cal Poly Pomona which is part of the LA metro area less than an hour from downtown LA - except at rush hours.

Since Pomona isn't in the Big West or D1, your post has nothing to do with the subject!
07-21-2020 06:50 PM
NotANewbie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tennesse, NMSU
(07-21-2020 06:50 PM)Hilldog Wrote:  
(07-20-2020 01:37 PM)PojoaquePosse Wrote:  Exactly. I drive to Las Vegas (8 hours), Phoenix (7) and Los Angeles (10-11) pretty regularly. My wife, on Mother's Day, wanted to do a day trip to Las Cruces (3) just to eat lunch and grab some custard. I've driven to Amarillo (4) and back in one day.

Since Pomona isn't in the Big West or D1, your post has nothing to do with the subject!

Actually if you go back to posts 140 and 141 in this thread, the original mention of Cal Poly was to Cal Poly Pomona and the proximity of schools in the LA area, thus my comment.
07-21-2020 08:11 PM
Hilldog Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
(07-21-2020 08:11 PM)NotANewbie Wrote:  
(07-21-2020 06:50 PM)Hilldog Wrote:  
(07-20-2020 01:51 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  A wife who wants to do random road trips to college towns. Where do people find these amazing bachelorettes?

Actually if you go back to posts 140 and 141 in this thread, the original mention of Cal Poly was to Cal Poly Pomona and the proximity of schools in the LA area, thus my comment.

Cal Poly SLO, which is four hours from LA, was the first Cal Poly to be established. They call themselves only Cal Poly, since they were the first.
07-22-2020 01:06 AM
CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF/Tulsa
(07-18-2020 11:24 PM)Hilldog Wrote:  
(07-18-2020 06:04 PM)edinburger Wrote:  
(07-18-2020 02:54 PM)Itinerant Texan Wrote:  ...
That's right. Probably some activity still there by way of a "center", but the main campus is now in Edinburg.

I work at UTRGV and calling Edinburg the "main campus" gets you called in to your supervisor's office. Officially we're all equal, because people in Brownsville get upset otherwise. Brownsville students, Brownsville faculty, Brownsville politicians, and most especially the Brownsville-based legislators that get to vote on our budget.

Of course off the record you're completely right. Edinburg has more students, more facilities, more faculty with base offices there, and more programs offered. Prior to the merger there was no doubt that UTPA was bigger, more stable, and better academically than UTB, although neither one was top tier if we're being honest about it.

So, there are still classes being held in Brownsville? How far apart are the two campuses?

In the LA/OC area, you have Cal Poly Pomona and Cal St. Fullerton that are 15-20 miles apart. Cal St. LA and CP Pomona are also about 20 miles from each other. But, none of those campuses are thinking about combining.

Very different academic institutions in terms of offerings. The UTPA-UT Brownsville merger would probably be more akin to combining Long Beach and Cal St-Dominguez Hills or something.

California is overly bloated with bureaucracy it seems. The Cal State system reflects that when they could really combine several of the Cal State schools and use the resources to provide more options to students.

I tend to think larger universities are able to better marshal resources and allocate them efficiently. If Florida had double the number of universities, we wouldn't have 5 Carnegie R-1s. We'd have 2. The large student populations have allowed the universities to invest in themselves. So if Texas wants to have a stronger university in south Texas, then combining UTPA and UT-B made sense. Same thing with Georgia and the various mergers they've made. I think we'll see a few of those schools start moving up the academic ladder some, especially Augusta, North Georgia, and Georgia Southern (who now has a Savannah campus thanks to the merger with Armstrong Atlantic).
07-22-2020 02:12 PM
TDenverFan Offline
All American

I Root For: William & Mary
If the WAC goes FCS, has any thought been given to San Diego? They currently play in the non scholarship Pioneer League, which requires them to play conference games across the country in New York and Florida. A lot of the WAC schools would still be plane flights away, albeit much shorter ones.
07-24-2020 02:11 PM
Itinerant Texan Offline
Shot Caller

I Root For: On Ye Tarleton!
(07-24-2020 02:11 PM)TDenverFan Wrote:  If the WAC goes FCS, has any thought been given to San Diego? They currently play in the non scholarship Pioneer League, which requires them to play conference games across the country in New York and Florida. A lot of the WAC schools would still be plane flights away, albeit much shorter ones.

Considering public Cali schools can't/won't play in the GREAT State of Texas, San Diego, being private, would be a very nice addition. St. Thomas moving all the way up to the Pioneer just might create an opportunity for this to happen.
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2020 05:19 PM by Itinerant Texan.)
07-24-2020 04:12 PM
NeptunianEmp Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NM State Aggies!
Dixie State postpones their FCS debut: https://dixiestateathletics.com/news/202...eason.aspx
08-12-2020 04:21 PM
Itinerant Texan Offline
Shot Caller

I Root For: On Ye Tarleton!
We have NMSU's AD talking about possibly scheduling Tarleton this Spring. No mention of Dixie, just Tarleton. NMSU and Tarleton. I see a pattern forming here.

Prediction: Tarleton 28 NMSU 21

https://www.abqjournal.com/1491428/aggie...-ucla.html
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2020 09:26 PM by Itinerant Texan.)
08-31-2020 09:21 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
(08-31-2020 09:21 PM)Itinerant Texan Wrote:  We have NMSU's AD talking about possibly scheduling Tarleton this Spring. No mention of Dixie, just Tarleton. NMSU and Tarleton. I see a pattern forming here.

Knowing the midget in Santa Fe, the 14 day Quarantine will still be active, so bring lots to do.
09-01-2020 03:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Todor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: New Mexico State
(08-31-2020 09:21 PM)Itinerant Texan Wrote:  We have NMSU's AD talking about possibly scheduling Tarleton this Spring. No mention of Dixie, just Tarleton. NMSU and Tarleton. I see a pattern forming here.

What's the pattern? That Dixie isn't playing NMSU this year?
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2020 07:19 PM by Todor.)
09-01-2020 07:17 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
West Texas A&M and Angelo State are playing fall football mainly with Southland schools. West Texas A&M's AD is now saying the exact same thing what Tarleton State's AD said before getting an invite to D1. With Chicago State now looking for a new home, There seems that West Texas A&M would be the next school to be called up, and the rumors are Angelo State, Midwestern State and Central Oklahoma are being courted hard by the WAC.

Dixie State
Tarleton State
West Texas A&M
Angelo State
Midwestern State
Central Oklahoma
UTRGV adding football would give them enough to sponsor FCS football with 12 full members minus Chicago State.
09-08-2020 10:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chrisattsu Offline
Mom's Favorite

I Root For: Tarleton / TXST
WAC Football
Alright David, I'll bite-

West Texas A&M's AD is now saying the exact same thing what Tarleton State's AD said before getting an invite to D1.

Where? Whats he saying
09-08-2020 11:10 PM
theultimateaggie Offline
2nd String

(09-08-2020 11:10 PM)chrisattsu Wrote:  Alright David, I'll bite-

West Texas A&M's AD is now saying the exact same thing what Tarleton State's AD said before getting an invite to D1.

Where? Whats he saying

I will bite too. Where are you hearing Angelo state and the Oklahoma school?
09-08-2020 11:35 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(09-08-2020 11:10 PM)chrisattsu Wrote:  Alright David, I'll bite-

Where? Whats he saying

It was something McBroom said on the PressPass Sports Podcast at the 31 minute mark. There seems to be some very large D2 schools are not happy that the Fall football season was called off by D2 officials. West Texas A&M and Angelo State are ignoring D2 officials and are lining up Southland schools for football. West Texas A&M got three D1 to play, Angelo State twice, one North American U. and one NAIA school for. There are hints that these larger schools are being handcuffed by these small private schools who are broke to even compete at the D2 level. This pandemic shows the big devide between the large publics and the small privates. It was similar to something what the Tarleton State's AD said before the pandemic. He named dropped several large schools that the NCAA D2 leadership have no best interests of heart like Commerce, Grand Valley State, Pittsburg State etc. We might be seeing a bunch of large schools making the jump in a few years. ASUN may gain some soon. WAC, Summit, Horizon and OVC have large schools in their footprints as will.

McBroom Is Deadset Against Moving Fall Sports To Spring

That is the only 3 minute read.

Podcast Episode

There are some hints there for D1.

Add Colorado Mesa to the list not happy for not playing fall football. West Texas added them for a game this year.
09-09-2020 02:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.