Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting
Bookmark and Share
Big Red Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU
2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting
Okay. Got time on my hands.... So, here it goes for the upcoming basketball season (fingers crossed).

MAC Transfers (so far):

Akron -
In:

Jermaine Marshall - Transferring from Florida Southwestern State College (Ft. Myers, FL) - 6'6" - PF - 2* recruit from DME Sports Academy (Daytona Beach, FL) via Hueytown HS (Hueytown, AL) which is his hometown - Coming out of HS, Marshall had received 3 D-1 scholarships so academics may have been an issues (considering the prep school route and then JUCO). Starting his collegiate career at FSWSC, Marshall played one year starting 25 of 29 games averaging 23.5 minutes and 10.2 ppg/8.8 rpg shooting 49.8% from the field (32.8% 3PT) and 65.7% FT. After his year in JUCO, Marshall got a number of D-1 interest receiving offers from Kent State, UAB, Fresno State, Southern Miss, Sam Houston State, James Madison and Fordham. Honestly, I'd be interested in knowing the reasoning behind choosing Akron over a few other schools that have pretty good programs and are either closer to home or in better locations. Either way, it looks like Akron got a pretty decent pickup here.

Michael Wynn - Transferring from Wake Forest - Sophomore - 6'6" - SF - 28 recruit from Liberty Heights Athletic Institute (Charlotte, NC) born in Albany, NY - Wynn has spent 2 seasons at Wake Forest as a reserve player. As a sophomore, Wynn played in 14 games (down from 27 as a freshman) averaging 4.2 minutes and 1.3 ppg shooting 53.8% from the field (25% 3PT - 1 of 4) and 37.5% FT (3 of 8). Coming out of HS, Wynn received offers from Wake Forest, South Florida, Wichita State, Ole Miss, East Carolina, Drexel, Coastal Carolina, Charleston, Pacific, Charlotte, Massachusetts, Southern Miss, Southern Utah, Southeastern Louisiana, Florida Atlantic, Siena, and James Madison. Some of the offers date back to 2015 (Siena). Clearly he was well regarded coming out of HS, even as a 2* recruit but obviously something happened and didn't click along the way while at Wake Forest. It appears he just got lost in the shuffle and couldn't get his head above the pack with 7 scholarship players on roster at the guard position (he played guard at WF). It should be noted that he was recruited to play at WF by Danny Manning who was relieved of his duties a few months ago and was considered by many fans to be a poor recruiter who has had an issue with graduation rates. Either way, Wynn will have to sit out a season at Akron before taking the floor in 2021.

Out:
Jeremy Roscoe - transferring to Concord - Junior - 6’2” - SG - 2* from Uplift HS (Chicago) - Played 31 games as a freshman averaging 11.1 minutes and 3 ppg. Played 1 game as a sophomore, presumably was hurt.

Jaden Sayles - Transferring to Stony Brook - Senior - 6’9” - PF - 2* from Sycamore HS (Cincinnati) - played 26 games (0 starts) as a junior averaging 5.4 minutes and 2.2 ppg.

Bowling Green -
In:
Justin Turner - Technically not an "IN" but he has decided to stay at Bowling Green.

Jacob Washington - Transferred from Cerritos College (Norwalk, CA) - RS Junior - 6'8" - PF - 2* recruit from George Washington Prep HS (Los Angeles, CA) - As a RS Sophomore at Cerritos, Washington played in 30 games (28 starts) and averaged 21.6 minutes and 10 ppg/6.6 rpg shooting 46% from the field (20.7% 3PT - 6-29) and 76.7% FT (66-86). I gave it a better than lazy effort to find some video of Washington but there isn't much that's recent. There's some video of him from 2016 and from HS (I'm not doing to math to figure out if he was in high school in 2016 but he probably was so, whatever) but for a guy who's spent 3 years outside of HS, I wasn't too inclined to watch it. He's big. Strong. Seems like he can put the ball through the hoop. Grabs some boards. Might actually be pretty useful for the Falcons. Interestingly, if he tattooed his college mascot on his arm a couple of years ago...he won't have to change it as Cerritos is also the Falcons, but they ripped off the Atlanta Falcons logo. That always bugs me. I know that thing is copywrited and it's not hard for someone to find. I've seen high schools get letters from lawyers about copywrite infringements regarding logos. Anyway...I'm rambling.

Out:
Tayler Mattos - Transferring to New Hampshire - Junior - 6’11” - C - 2* from Kearsarge HS (Sutton, NH) - played 31 games (30 starts) as a sophomore averaging 15.5 minutes and 4.9 ppg/5.1 rpg. Mattos is from New Hampshire and went to high school there, so I suppose good for him to land at a D-1 school close to home. I can't imagine there was a ton of interest in him for any other reason than he's 6'11".

Justin Turner - Staying at Bowling Green - Grad Transfer - 6’4” - SG - 3* from Reniassance HS (Detroit) - 3 year starter playing and starting 25 games as a RS Junior averaging 32.3 minutes and 18.8 ppg/4.6 rpg/2/5 apg. Shot 45.4% from the field (36.1% 3PT) and 85.1% FT.

Buffalo -
In:
Malik Zachary - Transferring from Chipola College (Marianna, FL) - 6'2" - PG - 3* recruit from Springfield Commonwealth Academy (Springfield, MA) and born in Syracuse, NY - Out of high school, Zachary was a 3* recruit who chose the JUCO route. Due to an injury, Zachary had to sit out this past season so he still has 3 years of eligibility left at Buffalo. As a freshman, Zachary 31 of 32 games averaging 21.6 minutes and 8.5 ppg/3.9 rpg/5.75 apg shooting 45.8% from the field (32.1% 3PT) and 74.5% FT. If fully healed, all signs point to Zachary being a very good get by Buffalo and was highly sought after, getting offers from Ole Miss, California, Southern Miss, Middle Tennessee State, Southeastern Louisiana, McNeese State, Nebraska, Eastern Michigan, Sam Houston State, Fresno State, SIU, and UCF. If he's healthy and has his academics in line, he's should be pretty good for Buffalo.

Keishawn Brewton - Transferring from Coastal Carolina - 6'2" - SG - 2* recruit from St. Ignatius College Prep (Spartanburg, SC) - Brewton started his collegiate career at Chipola College where, as a sophomore, he started 31 of 32 games averaging 25.2 minutes and 19.4 ppg shooting 48.7% from the field (46.8% 3PT - 120 of 166) and collected 3.9 rpg and 2.3 apg. Brewton then transferred to Coastal Carolina for his junior season where he started 11 of 22 games averaging 26.2 minutes and 14.5 ppg shooting 43.7% from the field (37.1% 3PT - 65 of 175) and 75.8% FT. He also averaged 2.3 rpg and 0.8 apg. Brewton appears to be a shooter. I haven't watched any video on him so I'm just scouting his stat lines but it appears he's scored at a healthy clip at every level. I believe Brewton will have to sit a year as he is transferring from a D-I program and he is not a grad transfer unless he applies for and obtains a waiver (and tbh, I wouldn't considering the uncertainty of this season being played either in full or at all). I will say this. I've done a little digging because this thing smells fishy. Brewton left the team and entered the transfer portal on Feb. 4 which is a month before the season would officially end. Why did he leave the team? I'm not sure. But he was the 2nd leading scorer on the team so it's a big loss for the Chanticleers and, presumably a good pick up for Buffalo especially if he can get a waiver to play right away (although I doubt he'd be able to do so). Coming out of JUCO, Brewton had a long list of offers before eventually picking Coastal Carolina. His list included Tennessee-Martin, USC Upstate, UNC-Wilmington, Louisiana-Monroe, Portland State, Iona, Stephen F. Austin, Mercer, St. Bonaventure, Loyola Marymount, East Carolina, Troy, East Tennessee State, Western Carolina, SMU, Georgia Southern, and Arkansas State. I do wonder why he chose Coastal Carolina and I wonder if he favored CCU because it was relatively close to home. Anyway, this year, in addition to Buffalo, Brewton had offers from Kent State and McNeese State.

Out:
Jamon Bivens - Undecided on transfer - RS Junior - 6’3” - SG - 2* from Fayette County HS (Atlanta) - Played 5 games this season totaling only 11 minutes.

Kent State -
In:
Malique Jacobs - transfer from Indian Hills CC - JUCO Sophomore - 6'3 - PG - 2* from Bull City Prep HS (Durham, NC) - born in Wilmington, NC

Tekorian "TK" Smith - Transferred from Polk State College (Winter Haven, FL) JUCO RS Sophomore - 6'4" - SG - 2* recruit from Richard King HS (Corpus Cristi, TX) born in Memphis, TN - Smith started 27 of 30 games at PSC averaging 19.4 ppg/3.2 bpg shooting 43.6% from the field (38.5% 3PT) and 76.7% FT. Smith actually started his career at Lincoln Memorial University (Harrogate, TN) but didn't play.

Justyn Hamilton - Transferring from Temple - Junior - 6'10" - PF - 2.7* recruit from Independence HS (Charlotte, NC) - Hamilton has played 3 seasons at Temple as a "some times" starter. As a junior, Hamilton started 14 of 23 games averaging 10.5 minutes and 3.3 ppg/1.9 rpg shooting 47% from the field (16.7% 3PT - 1 of 6) and 52.2% FT. To the best of my knowledge, Hamilton will have to sit out a season and then will have 1 season remaining in 2021-22. Hamilton isn't much. His numbers this year were slightly down from last year but he's never been a big contributor. Seems his biggest asset is being a tall body in the paint. He's not overly big and strong, but he is kinda tall.

Gabe O'Neal - Transfered from Mineral Area College (Park Hills, MO) - 6'7" - PF - 2* recruit from Princeton HS (Cincinnati, OH) - O'Neal played 2 years at Mineral Area CC before his transfer. As a freshman, O'Neal played in 32 games (17 starts) averaging 10.2 ppg/6.8 rpg shooting 60.3% from the field (12.5% 3PT - 2-16) and 59.1% FT (55-93). As a sophomore, O'Neal played in and started 32 games averaging 9.4 ppg/5.7 rpg shooting 61.3% from from the field (33.3% 3PT - 2-6) and 72.3% FT (60-83). Coming out of HS, O'Neal did not receive any 4-year offers however, coming out of MACC, he also received an offer from SE Missouri State.

James Jordan - Transferred from Triton College (River Grove, IL) - 6'6" - PG - 2* recruit from Experience Academy (I think is in Johnson City, TN) born in Detroit, MI where he attended Westside Christian Academy - At Triton, Jordan played in 20 games (5 starts) averaging 16.1 minutes and 8.3 ppg/3.5 rpg/3.6 apg shooting 50% from the field (39.7% 3PT - 27-68) and 81.8% FT (18-22). Coming out of HS, Jordan received no 4-year offers. Coming out of TCC, Jordan received additional offers from East Tennessee State, SE Missouri State, Kentucky State, Montevallo, Mississippi Valley State, and CSU Bakersfield.

VonCameron Davis -

Out:
Anyeuri Castillo - Transferring to USC Aiken (Aiken, SC - DII) - Junior - 6’7” - SF - 2* from Meadowcreek HS, born in Dominican Republic, transferred to KSU from Central Georgia Tech - played 1 season at Kent State logging 12 games (1 start) averaging 5.2 mpg and 1.8 ppg.

Sentwali Nalls - Undecided on transfer - Freshman - 6’1’ - PG - 2* from Neuqua Valley HS (Naperville) born in Chicago - played 6 games as a freshman averaging 2.5 minutes and 1 ppg.

Anthony Roberts - Transferring to St. Bonaventure - Sophomore - 6’4” - SH - 2* from Henry Ford HS (Detroit) - Played 31 games as a freshman (3 starts) averaging 17.6 minutes and 5.9 ppg. Then played 30 games (19 starts) as a sophomore averaging 29 minutes and 12.7 ppg/2.9 rpg/2.4 apg shooting 49.7% from the field (36.3% 3PT) and 76.5% FT. Roberts had also received an offer from Arizona State.

Miami -
In:

Out:

Nike Sibande - Transferring to Pittsburgh - Junior - 6'4" - SG - 2* recruit from Crispus Attucks HS (Indianapolis, IN) - Sibande is a three year started at Miami and will now have to sit out a season as he is not a grad transfer. Statistically, Sibande had his worst season (slightly....he's been pretty consistent) for the Redhawks this past season starting 30 games (of 31) and averaging 28.7 minutes and 13.9 ppg shooting 49.4% from the field (32% 3PT) and 82% FT. Sibande also averaged 5.9 rpg and 1.7 apg.

Ohio -
In:
Dwight Wilson III - transferring from James Madison - Junior - 6’8” - C - 2* from Lincoln HS (Tallahassee) - 2 year starter at JMU. Played 32 games (starting 28) as a sophomore averaging 25.8 minutes and 10.2 ppg/7.8 rpg. Played 26 games (starting 22) as a junior averaging 22.8 minutes and 9.8 ppg/9.3 rpg.

Rifen Miguel - Transferring from Tallahasee Community College - 6'9" - PF - 2* recruit from West Oaks Academy (Orlando, FL) born in Luanda, Angola - Miguel started his college career at College of Central Florida (Ocala, FL) and then transferred to Tallahassee CC. If Tallahassee CC sounds familiar, it should. TCC is the same school that DeAndre Gholston just transferred from and the same that received 7 D-1 transfers last off-season. They seem to churn D-1 prospects in and out of the school acting as a conduit for talented players who have 1) probably made a poor choice in their first school selection and 2) a proving ground for players who couldn't qualify academically out of high school. Anyway, at TCC, Miguel played on a loaded roster and started 21 of his 25 games played averaging 18.7 minutes and 7.8 ppg shooting 46.2% from the field (28% 3PT) and 67.6% FT. Miguel had received other offers from Jacksonville State, Hampton, Southern, Milwaukee (the same school that landed Gholston), Radford, Eastern Illinois, SIUe, Missouri State, Louisiana-Monroe, and Massachusetts.

Out:
Marvin Price - Transferring to Salt Lake CC (Salt Lake City, UT) - Freshman - 6’5” - SF - 3* from Patterson HS (Hyattsville, MD) - Played 7 games as a freshman

Nate Springs - Transferring to Kennesaw State - RS Freshman - 6'10" - C - 2* recruit from United Faith Christian Academy (Charlotte, NC) - Played 1 season for the Bobcats playing in 21 games (0 starts) averaging 8.5 minutes and 3 ppg/1.3 rpg shooting 87.5% from the field (40% 3PT...16 of 40) and 100% FT (2 of 2). This guy doesn't seem terrible. No word on why he's transferring. Look like he may have decided to get closer to home. KSU appears to be his only offer.

Ball State -
In:
Reggie Jones - Transferring from Tulsa - RS Junior - 6’6” - SG - 3* from Marion HS (Marion, IN) - Started his career at Western Michigan where he started 14 games as a freshman averaging 23 minutes and 9.4 ppg. As a sophomore, Jones played 32 games (starting only 6) averaging 23.6 minutes and 10.1 ppg. Transferred to Tulsa and as a RS J, played 26 games (starting 7) and averaged 13.1 mintues and 3.8 ppg.

Jalen Windham - Transferring from Creighton - Freshman - 6'5" - SG - 2* recruit from Ben Davis HS (Indianapolis, IN) - Windham will have to sit a year as he's only a freshman. As a freshman at Creighton, played in 16 games averaging 6.6 minutes and 2.6 ppg shooting 36.6% from the field (26.9% 3PT) and 83.3% FT. It's hard to tell what Windham is currently (or what he'll be in a year). He was moderately recruited by about a half dozen or so mid-major schools mostly in the MAC (Toledo, Ohio, Miami, WMU). Creighton was definitely the highest profile program that recruited him and he may have well chosen unwisely based on that (or was influenced by someone to do it and if he was from Chicago I'd bet money on it). But he only played a little (and un-remarkably) so he very well may have seen the writing on the wall or felt over-matched in the Big East so he got lucky with a D-1 offer close to home. Honestly, Windham is lucky. There's a high number of guys just like him who transfer to a JUCO at this point in their careers. Some might argue its a better route as it allows a player to showcase themselves and get better offers. But maybe he's super cool with getting close to home.

Out:
Ishmael El-Amin - Undecided on transfer - Junior - 6’1” - PG - 3* from Hopkins HS (Minnetonka, MN) - Played 31 games as a freshman averaging 18.7 minutes and 4.9 ppg. As a sophomore, played 19 games (1 start) averaging 22.1 mintues and 6.9 ppg. As a junior, started 31 games averaging 32.4 mintues and 13.8 ppg/3.1 rpg/2.3 apg shooting 42.9 % from the field (39.3% 3PT) and 76.1% FT.

Lucas Kroft - Transferring to Western Texas College (Snyder, TX) - Freshman - 6’5” - SG - 2* from North Side HS (Fort Wayne, IN) - Played 14 games as a freshman averaging 8.6 minutes and 1.1 ppg.

Central Michigan -
In:
Malik Muhammad - Transfer from East Los Angeles College - 6'9" - C - 2* recruit from Nathanial Narbonne HS (Los Angeles, CA) and born in San Pedro, CA - Played 28 games at ELAC averaging 9.6 minutes and 5.2 ppg/4.3 rpg/1.3 bpg shooting 57.3% from the field and 60.3% from FT. Muhammad had no other offers other than CMU.

Braden Burke - Transferring from Michigan State - Grad Transfer - RS Junior - 7'0" - C - 2* recruit from Lakeshore HS (Stevensville, MI) - Burke will be coming to CMU and will be eligible for the 2020-21 season as a grad transfer. Burke started his collegiate career at Robert Morris where he played one season, starting 8 of 32 games averaging 15.2 minutes and 4.3 ppg/1.8 rpg. From there, Burke transferred to Michigan State. I'm sure it was a dream come true for the Michigander although what probably could have been a good career at RMU sputtered out at MSU. Burke played in 8 games as a RS Sophomore and 6 games last year as a RS Junior averaging only 1.4 and 1.5 minutes per games and scoring less than a point per game each season. Let's be honest. Burke is coming to CMU as a 7 footer who has been in a B1G program (one of the top B1G programs) for 2 years. He's going to be a factor in some way when he's on the floor and if he has improved on his freshman season, he could be a real pain in the arse for a team who doesn't have much size on the inside (I may be talking here about a specific team who plays in the same division as CMU...).

Meikkel Murray - Transferring from Coffeyville CC (Coffeyville, KS) - JUCO Sophomore - 6'6" - SF - 2* recruit from Lee Academy (Lee, ME) - Born in Amhurst, MA but his college profile at CCC says he's from The Bronx, NY - Started 34 games for CCC averaging 32.1 minutes and 16.7 ppg shooting 50.6% from the field (29.2% 3PT) and 67.9% from the line. Also averaged 7.4 rpg. CCC had a record last season of 26-8 and averaged 80 ppg. Murray was the team's leading scorer. Murray had received other offers from Albany, Portland State, Jacksonville State, CSU Bakersfield, Stony Brook, Lamar, and Georgia Southern.

Out:
Romelo Burrell - Transferring to Lindenwood University (D-II) (St. Charles, MO) - Junior - 6’7” - SF - 3* from Morgan Park HS (Chicago) - Transferred to CMU from John A. Logan CC (Carterville, IL). As a sophomore at CMU, played 35 games (0 starts) averaging 11 minutes and 2.5 ppg. As a junior, played 32 game (0 starts) averaging 13 minutes and 3 ppg.

Eastern Michigan -
In:
James Love III - Transfering from Kansas State - Grad Transfer - 6’11” - C - 2.5* from American Heritage HS (Ft. Lauderdale) - As a freshman at KState, played 15 games (0 starts) averaging 4.6 minutes and 0.7 ppg. As a sophomore, played 19 games (0 starts) averaging 2.6 minutes and 0.3 ppg. Only played 1 game in his last year at Kansas State.

Bryce McBride - Transferring from Dyersburg State CC (Dyersburg, TN) - Sophomore - 6'1" - PG - 2* recruit from South Side HS (Jackson, TN) - As a sophomore at DSCC, McBride started all 28 games he played in averaging 32 minutes and 24.2 ppg/4.3 apg/1.0 spg/3.4 rpg shooting 52.8% from the field (45% 3PT - 99 of 220) and 81.6% FT. Bottom line, this guy is a shooter and will be someone to keep an eye on for a couple of years. I don't see any evidence that McBride was offered an scholarships outside of the one from EMU so that makes me scratch my head a bit. I've been reading a couple of articles about the transfer and there's something in his words that have me intrigued as to his choice (or seemingly lack of choices). I suppose we'll see.

Drew Lowder - Transferring from Holy Cross - Freshmen - 6'0"- PG - 3* from Pioneer HS (Ann Arbor, MI) - Played 1 season at Holy Cross and as a freshman, Lowder started 6 of 12 games averaging 26.3 minutes and 14.1 ppg, 2.1 rpg, and 3.3 apg shooting 43.6% from the field (42% 3PT) and 71.4% FT. As a freshman, Lowder will have to sit out this upcoming season. Coming out of high school, Lowder had received other offers from NIU, Ferris State, Central Michigan, Toledo, and Eastern Michigan.

Axel Okongo - Transferred from Missouri - Junior - 7'0" - C - 2* recruit from Thetford Academy (Thetford, VT) born in Saacy-sur-Marne, France - Last season, as a junior for the Tigers, Okongo played 8 games (0 starts) averaging 3.8 minutes and 0.6 ppg/0.3 rpg shooting 100% from the field (2-2) and 50% FT (1-2). It doesn't actually appear that Okongo was injured, from what I've found, Cuonzo Martin had an extra scholarship and a full roster so he grabbed Okongo out of JUCO to be a 7 footer they could practice against. Which, knowing he was going to barely see the floor in his senior campaign, is why he's chosen to move on to Eastern Michigan. Before Mizzou, Okongo played at Northwest College (JUCO - Powell, WY) and, as a sophomore he played in 24 games (0 starts) averaging 6.4 minutes and 2.5 ppg/1.5 rpg shooting 48.3% from the field (29-60) and 60% FT (3-5). He was injured mostly his freshman year.

Other than being huge, there doesn't seem to be much else about Okongo. In a league like the MAC, it's always nice to have someone over 6'8", let alone 7'0" but just being that big isn't everything if he is useless and his JUCO stats lead a person long that pathway. Nevertheless, he'll sit this year and presumably suit up in 2021-22. While in HS, Okongo received one offer and it was from Valparaiso. When he transferred to Missouri, no one there who plays attention to things even knew he had visited. So, this guy is not at all sought after and seems to be getting basketball gigs because he's 7 feet tall. But....we shall see.

Edit: Okay, so I got curious and watched the only video I could find on him (I didn't look too hard) and he's....okay. He looks like what I'd say a kid who is doing EXACTLY how's he's coached to play to post would look like although I do question if referees call traveling in whatever league he was playing in because I counted about 4 walks that were left alone...but I digress. Defensively though, I'd say that's his bread and butter. He gets after the shot block and seems to really enjoy doing it. Now, can he repeat it at the mid-major level? (we know he didn't at the major level). Again, I guess we'll see.

Out:
Chris Barnes - Undecided on transfer - RS Junior - 6’4” - SG - 2* from Compton HS (Compton, CA) - Played freshman season at UTEP where he played 16 games (0 starts) averaging 4.3 minutes and 0.6 ppg. Then transferred to Angelina College (Lufkin, TX). For his RS Sophomore year, he transferred to Tulsa where he played 31 games (5 starts) averaging 9.2 minutes and 2.1 ppg. Last year, transferred to EMU where he played 23 games (3 starts) averaging 15.3 minutes and 5.1 ppg. Full disclosure*** I may have the order of the schools he’s played at slightly wrong***

Jalen King - Transferring to Saint Leo (Saint Leo, FL) DII - Junior - 6’9” - C - 2* from Global Learning Village (Pasco, WA) - Played 20 games (0 starts) as a freshman averaging 4.5 mintues and 0 ppg. As a sophomore, played 19 games (1 start) averaging 6.3 minutes and 1.0 ppg. And as a junior, played 31 games (0 starts) averaging 11.9 minutes and 1.7 ppg. In HS, King also received an offer from Montana State.

Damari Parris - Transferring to Prairie View A&M - Grad Transfer - 6’1” - PG - 2* from Evelyn Mack Academy (Charlotte, NC) - Started his career at Western Kentucky playing 24 games (0 starts) and averaging 10.8 minutes and 3 ppg. Transferred to Trinity Valley CC (Athens, TX) for one year and then transferred to EMU where he played 20 games (11 starts) averaging 14.6 minutes and 3.7 ppg. This offseason, in addition to PVAE, Parris received an offer from Alcorn State.

Shamar Dillard - Transferring to Tallahassee CC (it appears TCC is reloading) - Freshman - 6'6" - SG - 2* from SPIRE Institute (Geneva, OH) born in South Bend, IN - Dillard played his freshman season at EMU playing in 28 games (2 starts) averaging 10.0 minutes and 3.3 ppg and 1.3 rpg shooting 32.9% from the field (23.3% 3PT) and 70.8% FT. As a HS senior, Dillard received offers from EMU, Ball State, Rutgers, and Western Illinois.

Marcus Gibbs - Undecided on Transfer - Freshman - 6'0" - PG - 2* from SPIRE Institute (Geneva, OH) born in Detroit, MI - This is the 2nd freshman recruit from SPIRE Institute to announce his transfer from EMU this offseason. I wonder if Gibbs will follow in teammate Dillard's shoes and move on to TCC? As for Gibbs, he only played in 3 games for EMU this season. With that said, "transferring" is not something new for Gibbs as he transferred at least twice while in high school. Although, I'm not sure going to SPIRE is actually a transfer as it's a prep school. Nevertheless, Gibbs transferred his senior season from Cass Tech to King HS and even had to sue (his father brought the case) the MHSAA (Michigan High School Athletic Association) because they had determined Gibbs had to sit a semester due to the transfer. Gibbs' case argued he should be allowed to play immediately under the protections of the McKinney Vento Homeless Assistance Program although the lawsuit (according to the article I found and at the time of its writing) does not state who is homeless (assuming the debate was whether it was Gibbs himself or his father or possibly mother or both....or all). Needless to say, with a guy who only played 3 games, there's not much to talk about until I found this lawsuit, which I found kind of interesting (although I cannot find a resolution). I did find that while at King, Gibbs averaged 20 ppg, 4 apg, and 4 rpg but I don't know how many games he played. And at SPIRE, Gibbs averaged 20 ppg, 5 apg, and 5 rpg. Honestly, those all sound like really round numbers and I suspect a big of rounding or something. EMU was the only school to offer Gibbs a scholarship out of high school.

NIU -
In:
Kaleb Thornton - JUCO Freshman - 6'0" - PG - 2* from Bolingbrook HS (Bolingbrook, IL) - Thornton started his college career at Iowa Western CC (Council Bluffs, IA) where, as a freshman, he played 30 games averaging 10.8 pgg/3.2 rpg/3.4 apg shooting 44.9% from the field (27.1% 3PT) and 75% FT. Again, if that high school sounds familiar, it should. Bolingbrook is the high school alma mater of current NIU baller Tyler Cochrane. Thinking Montgomery has a relationship with coach Brost is probably a safe bet and may help in enticing Thornton to NIU. Its difficult to find Thornton's stats at Bolingbrook but he did have a shortened season during his senior campaign due to injury missing roughly half of his games yet still garnered an All-State Honorable mention. Thornton did not receive any other offers other than from NIU.

Chinedu Okanu - JUCO Sophomore - 6'7" - C - 2* recruit from Thea Bowman Leadership Academy (Gary, IN) - born in Nigeria - started career at Vincennes University (Vincennes, IN) where he played in 23 games averaging 2.3 ppg/1.7 rpg shooting 54% from the field and 66.7% from FT. Okanu did not receive any other offers other than NIU.

Zool Kueth - Transferring from Pratt CC (Pratt, KS) - Sophomore - 6'7" - PF - 2* recruit from Gallatin HS (Gallatin, TN) - Last season as a sophomore at PCC, Kueth started 21 of 31 games averaging 26.9 minutes and 14.5 ppg/4.9 rpg shooting 42.6% from the field (32.9% 3PT - 69 of 210) and 77.9% from the line (53 of 68). Pratt CC went 19-12 last season scoring 80 points per game (while giving up 76 ppg). Zueth's 14.9 ppg were 2nd on the team to Jamel Horton's 17.3 ppg who has committed to Albany. Zueth started his collegiate career at D-I factory Tallahassee CC where he was limited to 17 games due to a broken ankle. He apparently decided to transfer to Pratt last year for a new opportunity to showcase his talents. (I'm thinking it was because TCC brought in 7 D-I players as transfers and he more than likely knew he was behind the 8-ball there...which he probably was). After his short year at Tallahassee, Zueth still received offers from D-I programs Jacksonville and Coastal Carolina. However, he felt the best decision was to stay at JUCO for one more year. In that sophomore season, Zueth was named to the All-KJCCC Second Team (KJCCC = Kansas Jayhawk Community College Conference). I'm guessing, at the D-I level he will play more SF than PF.

Kueth appears to be long and thin. Physically, I'd say a taller version of Gairges Daow. He's got a high release on a pretty quick shot (he doesn't jump much on the shot, it's barely more than a set shot, but a real quick one).

Tavon Jones - Transferring from Odessa College (Odessa, TX) - JUCO Sophomore - 6'3" - SG - 3* from Linden HS (Linden, NJ) - has started his collegiate career at Odessa (Odessa, TX) and as a sophomore he started 5 of 35 games averaging 13.8 minutes and 6.5 ppg shooting 47.8% from the field (30% 3PT) and 63.9% FT. I believe, even though he graduated from HS two years ago, he has only played 1 season at Odessa so he may be an incoming sophomore if he signs. In regards to Odessa College, there's literally nothing special about them. They went 14-16 last season and lost their last 5 games. So, if one were to try to look at his pedestrian numbers and draw some conclusion about him being a first year played being buried behind a loaded roster, it doesn't appear he was. Now, he was a 3* recruit coming out of HS so apparently there was something there. He very well could have been injured his first year, which is why he didn't play. Coming out of high school he had a ton of offers that he passed on for one reason or another (Eastern Kentucky, Massachusetts, Quinnipiac, Niagra, Hofstra, Buffalo, Stoney Brook, Seton Hall, St. Peter's, and Saint Joseph's). As of right now, NIU is the only school to make an offer on him as a transfer. After a little digging, it seems people (message board types) were pretty aware that he couldn't qualify academically and would be going to either a prep school or JUCO. One commenter even stated that he expected to see Jones in a few years in a major or mid-major program in a couple of years with a 3 point shot added to his game. Judging from his stats this past year, that didn't happen and it appears he couldn't shoot the 3 in high school either. Doesn't look like he can shoot free throws either. If I were a guessing man, I'd guess this guy goes to the basket. Eugene German but can't shoot. In my opinion, going off of what I've learned about him in a very short information search, adding Jones for next year would be a waste of a roster spot/scholarship. If you're going to take a shot on a guy with bad grades, at least get one that can score.

***UPDATE***

I mistakenly posted Jones' freshman numbers. As a sophomore at OCC, Jones started 24 of 30 games averaging 25 minutes and 13.7 ppg shooting 49.8% from the field (35.6% 3PT - 128 of 179) and 72.3% FT. He also averaged 4.8 rpg and 1.8 apg.

Overall, yes, I like these numbers a lot better than what he posted as a freshman. I still think adding a big man like Makoui as opposed to another guard would have been the better move, but Jones looks like he may have turned the corner with his outside shot, so that is a big improvement over what I previously thought he had done (or not done).

Adong Makoui - Transferring from Daytona State College - Sophomore - 6'9" - PF - 2* from The RISE Centre Academy (Brantford, ON, his hometown is Edmonton, AB) - Makoui started his career at Daytona State College where he started 30 of 30 games averaging 6.6 ppg/5.4 rpg while shooting 69.8% from the field and 75% FT. He also blocked 46 shots which is about 1.5 per game.

Makoui has other offers from SIU, Portland State, Murray State, Kent State, and Buffalo.

Anthony Crump - Transferring from Middle Tennessee State - RS Freshman - 6'8" - SG - 2* recruit from Plymouth HS (Canton, MI) - So, this one snuck up on me. Obviously, as a D1 transfer, Crump is going to have to sit a season, but he should be someone to look forward to in 2021. That's my impression from watching his videos (which, admittedly are from HS and are a couple of years old). Where I draw some trepidation is in his college stat lines. As a freshman at MTSU, Crump played in 9 games (7 starts) and averaged 17.2 minutes and 2.2 ppg shooting 32% from the field (0% 3PT - 0-2) and 40% FT (4-10). He most likely was injured as he received a redshirt for a 2nd Freshman campaign. As a RS Freshman, Crump played in 26 games (0 starts) averaging 11.8 minutes and 2.0 ppg shooting 44.8% from the field (66.7% 3PT - 2 -3) and 52.5% from the line (21-40). Also, MTSU was some kind of terrible last year (they used to be a conference contender year-in, year-out, but has seen a complete cratering of the program the past few years. Now, in watching his video (from HS), I saw two Crumps. The younger version had fantastic floor vision and was a really good passer. Honestly, it was hard to get an idea on his shot because 75% of the plays were passes. Then, as a senior (it looked like he'd grown about 4 inches...maybe more). He's tall and wiry. He's built like Levi Bradley but more athletic. He rarely shot from the outside (and his college numbers probably tell the story on that) but he also still appeared to be playing PG and at his size and with his athleticism, he was a handful for HS players to deal with. I'm curious to see what this guy becomes in a year. He could be a tall, go to the basket guard, which is interesting. He also showed hustle and good instincts in the few defensive plays I saw. Coming out of HS, Crump received offers from MTSU, UNC Asheville, and University of Indianapolis (DII) so not a ton of interest in a 6'7ish guard.

Time will tell with Crump. He seems interesting but also seems like he was either in a bad situation at MTSU (very likely) or hasn't figured out the college game just yet (which, a year off from game action my actually allow him to work on technique at this level...plus that whole, "fresh start" stuff). Consider me intrigued. I watched his video before I looked up his stats and...to be honest...I was quite surprised to see the low output. I will say this, he appears to be a poor free throw shooter so hopefully he'll work on that over this next year and get to at least 65%.

Out:

Gairges Daow - Undecided on Transfer location - 6'4" - SG - Junior - 2* recruit from Victory Rock Prep (South Bradenton, FL) Hometown: Melbourne, Australia; Birthplace: South Sudan - Daow, as we all know, has spent 3 seasons at NIU and this past season, Daow played in 30 games starting in 15 of them averaging 13.2 minutes and 2.9 ppg shooting 46.7% from the field (26.7% 3PT - 4 of 15) and 76.5% FT. Daow also averaged 2 rpg. Daow has become redundant and, most likely buried, on this current roster with the JUCO additions. I always felt that Daow never truly embraced his skill set and that he shot way too much. There were times when he'd get the ball on a rotation and you could tell right away that he was going to figure out how to take a shot. Tbh, he was mis-matched as a guard and always played better mucking it up in the paint. He had a nose for a loose ball. His defense and rebounding were his strengths but he caught between two positions to be really good at either of them being slightly too short (and light) to be a prolific rebounder and not quick enough to be a prolific defender. Ultimately, I'm sad to see Daow go but I won't miss him whenever the season eventually starts up again. He probably saw the writing on the wall knowing he was going to see his minutes drop as a senior (or, maybe he's doing us all a favor by leaving as we all know Monty liked him...and tbh, he's a likable guy who works his arse off every game...he's just no where close to a difference maker and just cluttered up the roster). Out of high school, Daow had offers from NIU, Eastern Kentucky, and Montana State. Good luck wherever you land, Gairges.

Toledo -
In:
J.T. Shumate - Transferred from Walsh Univ (North Canton, OH) - Sophomore - 6’7” - SF - 2* from Newark HS (Newark, OH) - Played 2 years at Walsh. As a sophomore, started 30 games averaging 29.6 minutes and 14.4 ppg shooting 49.7% from the field (35.1% 3PT) and 73.9% FT.

Charles Jones - Transfer from Southwestern Illinois College (Belleville, IL) - JUCO Sophomore - 6'8" - SG - 2* from DME Sports Academy (Daytona Beach, FL), born in Detroit, MI.

Jonathan Komagum - Transfer from Williston State College (Williston, ND) - JUCO Sophomore - 6'8" - PF - 2* recruit from TaylorMade Academy of Crescent City Christian School (Metaire, LA) born in London, England - First of all, that's a heck of a high school name. Anyway, at WSC, Komagum started 27 of 31 games averaging 30.8 minutes and 9.7 ppg/10.4 rpg shooting 50% from the field (35.3% 3PT - 6 of 17) and 75.2% from FT. 17 attempts from behind the arc isn't a huge number but its not insignificant either and considering he shot 35% from 3PT and 75% from FT, I can't fathom how he managed to shoot only 50% from the field. Interestingly, he was 100 of 200 from the floor. Tidbits... So, yeah, he may be just a big body or he may actually be some kind of a find. He also blocked 1.6 shots per game. Komagum had other offers from Maine, Detroit Mercy (who seem to make an offer to ever single player in the portal), and St. Bonaventure.

Seth Millner - Transferring from Northwest Florida State College (Niceville, FL) - 6'6" - SG - 2* recruit from Grand Rapids Christian HS (Grand Rapids, MI) - Millner played 27 games for NWFSC averaging 14.4 ppg/5.3 rpg shooting 41.3% FG (25.8% 3PT) and 80% FT. Millner actually started his collegiate career at Cleveland State where he played 31 games averaging 7.1 ppg/4.7 rpg shooting 40.5% from the field (30.5% 3PT) and 69.8% FT.

Out:
Dylan Alderson - Transferring to Indiana Wesleyan Univ (Marion, IN) - Junior - 6’5” - SG - 2* from Clarkston HS (Davison, MI) - Played 3 seasons at Toledo. As a freshman, played 33 games (0 starts) averaging 10.3 minutes and 1.5 ppg. As a sophomore, played 23 games (1 start) averaging 8.7 minutes and 1.3 ppg. And as a junior, played 32 games (22 starts) averaging 24.3 minutes and 5 ppg.

Gavin Bizeau - Transferring to Marian University (Indianapolis, IN - NAIA) - Sophomore - 6’11” - PF - 4* from Plainfield HS (Plainfield, OH) - Played freshman season at Duquesne where he played 20 games (0 starts) averaging 5.6 minutes and 1.3 ppg. Played sophomore season at Toldeo where he played in only 7 games (0 starts) averaging 9.6 minutes and 2.3 ppg. Coming out of HS, Bizeau had additional offers from Miami, Indiana State, Ball State, Akron, Boston University and IUPUI.

NEW INFO: So, this isn't actually new (it's from January) but it's new to me as I missed it when putting together the transfer list. Bizeau was actually dismissed from the team. I've not found a reason for the dismissal. Most of the info (which really wasn't much) I found on the CSN board for Toledo. Maybe someone from there who lurks here can or will fill in some info on him as to what led to his dismissal. Either way, he didn't really produce at Duquesne and barely played at Toledo but, anytime you have a dude who goes 6'11", it's a positive in a league like the MAC.

Aaron Etherington - Transferring to Indianapolis - Freshman - 6’6” - SF - 2* from Hamilton Southeastern (Fishers, IN) - I don’t believe he played in any games as a freshman.

Donavan Moore - Transferring to Green Bay - Freshman - 6’3” - SG - 2* from West Bloomfield HS (MI) born in Hillsboro, IL - Played 8 games as a freshman averaging 3.4 minutes and 1.4 ppg.

T.J. Smith - Transferring to Barry University (Miami Shores, FL - D-II) - RS Freshman - 6’8” - PF - 2* from ASPIRE Academy (Louisville) - Previously attended DeSales HS (Louisville, KY) born in Matteson, IL - Played 31 games as a freshman averaging 7.9 minutes and 1.3 ppg.

Western Michigan -
In:
Jaylon Holmes - Transferring from Lincoln Trail College (Robinson, IL) - 6'6" - PG - 2* recruit from Merrillville HS (Merrillville, IN) - Yes...TJ Lux was his coach at Merrillville HS. I believe it was TJ's last year at the helm before retiring from coaching. Anyway, as a freshman at LTC, Holmes played and started all 27 games he played in as a sophomore averaging 9.3 ppg/6.1 rpg/3.4 apg shooting 46.6% from the field (31.8% 3PT) and 60.8% FT. Lincoln Trail was...okay...last year going 18-12 overall averaging 84.3 ppg. Holmes will be a sophomore at WMU. Holmes also received offers from Portland, Towson, Albany, Wright State, Eastern Illinois, and North Florida.

Greg Lee - Transferring from Cal State Bakersfield (I wonder if he knows Chip Baskets?) - Grad Transfer - 6'9" - PF - 2* recruit from Westside HS (Houston, TX) - Lee started his collegiate career as a Roadrunner at Cal State Bakersfield. Are the roadrunners in Bakersfield? Who knows. Anyway, Lee played 3 years at CSU Bakersfield and has been a started the past two years. As a junior, Lee averaged 18.1 minutes and 6.7 ppg/3.9 rpg shooting 43% from the field (29.1% 3PT) and 76.5% FT. All of these numbers were slightly better his sophomore year. Other than his size and strength (and people say good things about his character), he seems to be adequate and will fill a role for the Broncos. Interestingly, he was born and grew up for a spell in Rockford, IL. At age 6, his mother moved with him to Houston because Rockford was too dangerous and violent stating that she "couldn't raise her son in a place that was so negatively influenced by limitedness. It was horrible." Good for her for having the wherewithal and means to better both of their lives. In everything I've seen and read about Lee, he appears to be a solid guy and someone who will be a veteran presence for the Broncos. Interesting tidbit, Lee is the first D-1 transfer to Western Michigan in 15 years. Apparently new HC Clayton Bates is on record as saying this is the way...for WMU in the near future. Embracing grad, 4 year, and JUCO transfers. I think we all agree with him that times, they are a'changin' and finding talent in the form of transfers is the way mid-majors are going to compete.

Danny Kolp - Transferring from Northwood University (Midland, MI) - Walk-on Junior - 6'8" - PF - 2* recruit from Petoskey HS (Petoskey, MI) - I've never been to Petoskey but I hear it's beautiful and if you're ever up around the Traverse City area, it's a nice hour or so drive northeast to Petoskey. Anyway, Kolp is going to walk-on at WMU so there's no need to count scholarships. He's obviously a big body but I'm not going to waste too much time scouting video of him being a walk-on. With that said, as a sophomore at Northwood, Kolp played in 31 games (starting 18) and averaged 21.5 minutes and 6.9 ppg/4.5 rpg shooting 53.2% from the field (31.6 3PT - 18-57) and 34.3% FT (12-35). How a guy makes 18 of 57 from behind the arc and only 12 of 35 from the free throw line is a mystery to me. 35 isn't a huge number of free throws, but it's a big enough sample that I'd expect a little normalization in it. So, I guess if Kolp is on the floor...feel free to foul him. But he probably won't be on the floor and if you foul a player who's currently not in the game it'd probably be considered an act of aggression or something and would lead to more trouble than it'd be worth. Anyway...Danny Kolp from Northern Michigan.

Out:
Michael Flowers - Transferred to South Alabama - Junior - 6’4” - PG - 2* from Southfield HS (Southfield, MI) - Played 3 seasons at WMU. As a freshman, played 23 games (0 starts) averaging 8.7 minutes and 3.4 ppg. As a sophomore, started 32 games averaging 31.3 minutes and 15.7 ppg/3.9 rpg/3.3 apg shooting 44.3% from the field (33.2% 3PT) and 78.4% from FT. And as a junior, started 32 games averaging 32.2 minutes and 16.9 ppg/2.9 rpg/3.3 apg shooting 47.9% from the field (36.8% 3PT) and 84.4% FT.

Brandon Johnson - Transferring to Minnesota - Grad Transfer - 6’8” - PF - 2* from Bowman Leadership Academy (Gary, IN) born in Chicago - Played 3 season at WMU. As a freshman, started 32 games averaging 23 minutes and 8 ppg. As a sophomore, started 29 games averaging 27.1 minutes and 9.3 ppg. And as a junior, started 31 (of 32) games averaging 31.1 minutes and 15.4 ppg/8.1 rpg shooting 48.6% from the field.
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2020 08:22 AM by Big Red.)
04-07-2020 03:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Milwaukee Pilot Offline
1st String

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting
Awesome! What a refreshing post——not a single “out” in the NIU column. Thank you for posting. Not a single name listed for any that causes a loss of sleep for anyone, but good to see some stability at home.
04-07-2020 04:04 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

NIU Recruiting:

NIU currently has 5 outstanding offers for 2020-21 and 1 for 2021-22.

2020-21:

Junior Transfers:
DeAndre Gholston - COMMITTED TO MILWAUKEE - Sophomore - 6'5" - SG - 2* from 21st Century Charter School (Gary, IN). Gholston, as I'm sure you all know, started his college career at Kent State where, as a freshman, he played in 15 games (0 starts) averaging 4.1 minutes and 1.3 ppg. Last year, he was one of about 700 MAC players to transfer to Tallahassee CC where he played 33 games (starting 23) and averaged 22.8 minutes and 11.3 ppg shooting 50.4% from the field (44.1% 3PT) and 71.7% FT. Tallahassee CC had a loaded team last year with something like 7 or 8 D-1 transfers on it's roster (I'm serious) so for him to put up the minutes and points he did on that team speaks well for him. By the way, if that high school sounds familiar, it should. It is the same high school that Eugene German attended and set every single record at. As a senior, Gholston averaged 21.6 ppg and 10.6 rpg and was the Independent High School Player of the Year (among many other accolades). In my humble opinion, this would be a heck of a get for Montgomery. Gholston has received offers from Portland, Akron, Mount St. Mary's, Tennessee-Martin, Detroit Mercy, Coastal Carolina, Milwaukee, Binghampton, McNeese State, Cleveland State, Green Bay, Stony Brook, Albany, Jacksonville State, and Troy. Gholston clearly has the advantage in having some pretty decent schools to pick from, but it may come down to coming back close to home and if so, Montgomery may be in the driver's seat.

Kaleb Thornton - COMMITTED - Freshman - 6'0" - PG - 2* from Bolingbrook HS (Bolingbrook, IL) - Thornton started his college career at Iowa Western CC (Council Bluffs, IA) where, as a freshman, he played 30 games averaging 10.8 pgg/3.2 rpg/3.4 apg shooting 44.9% from the field (27.1% 3PT) and 75% FT. Again, if that high school sounds familiar, it should. Bolingbrook is the high school alma mater of current NIU baller Tyler Cochrane. Thinking Montgomery has a relationship with coach Brost is probably a safe bet and may help in enticing Thornton to NIU. Its difficult to find Thornton's stats at Bolingbrook but he did have a shortened season during his senior campaign due to injury missing roughly half of his games yet still garnered an All-State Honorable mention. Thornton not received any other offers other than from NIU.

Tavon Jones - COMMITTED - JUCO Sophomore - 6'3" - SG - 3* from Linden HS (Linden, NJ) - has started his collegiate career at Odessa (Odessa, TX) and as a sophomore he started 5 of 35 games averaging 13.8 minutes and 6.5 ppg shooting 47.8% from the field (30% 3PT) and 63.9% FT. I believe, even though he graduated from HS two years ago, he has only played 1 season at Odessa so he may be an incoming sophomore if he signs. In regards to Odessa College, there's literally nothing special about them. They went 14-16 last season and lost their last 5 games. So, if one were to try to look at his pedestrian numbers and draw some conclusion about him being a first year played being buried behind a loaded roster, it doesn't appear he was. Now, he was a 3* recruit coming out of HS so apparently there was something there. He very well could have been injured his first year, which is why he didn't play. Coming out of high school he had a ton of offers that he passed on for one reason or another (Eastern Kentucky, Massachusetts, Quinnipiac, Niagra, Hofstra, Buffalo, Stoney Brook, Seton Hall, St. Peter's, and Saint Joseph's). As of right now, NIU is the only school to make an offer on him as a transfer. After a little digging, it seems people (message board types) were pretty aware that he couldn't qualify academically and would be going to either a prep school or JUCO. One commenter even stated that he expected to see Jones in a few years in a major or mid-major program in a couple of years with a 3 point shot added to his game. Judging from his stats this past year, that didn't happen and it appears he couldn't shoot the 3 in high school either. Doesn't look like he can shoot free throws either. If I were a guessing man, I'd guess this guy goes to the basket. Eugene German but can't shoot. In my opinion, going off of what I've learned about him in a very short information search, adding Jones for next year would be a waste of a roster spot/scholarship. If you're going to take a shot on a guy with bad grades, at least get one that can score.

***UPDATE***

I mistakenly posted Jones' freshman numbers. As a sophomore at OCC, Jones started 24 of 30 games averaging 25 minutes and 13.7 ppg shooting 49.8% from the field (35.6% 3PT - 128 of 179) and 72.3% FT. He also averaged 4.8 rpg and 1.8 apg.

Overall, yes, I like these numbers a lot better than what he posted as a freshman. I still think adding a big man like Makoui as opposed to another guard would have been the better move, but Jones looks like he may have turned the corner with his outside shot, so that is a big improvement over what I previously thought he had done (or not done).

Sam'i Roe - COMMITTED TO OMAHA - JUCO Sophomore - 6'2" PG - Independence CC (Independence, KS) - 2* recruit from Isaiah Christopher Academy (Atlantic City, NJ) - Started 25 of 31 games at ICC averaging 28.5 minutes and 14.7 ppg/4.8 rpg/2.3 apg shooting 55.5% from the field (26.4% 3PT) and 85.2% FT. ICC had a pretty decent year going 23-9 and averaging 90.8 ppg. Roe was the 2nd leading scored (by scoring average), 2nd to Demetric Horton who is going to Purdue Ft. Wayne. So, something interesting I found while looking at the ICC roster. Marlo Brown. Yup. Same guy who "played" a year at NIU before transferring to ICC. As a sophomore, Brown was not all that good. Started 18 of 29 games and averaged 5.1 ppg shooting 43.1% from the field (35.7% 3PT) and 63.2% from the line. Eh...tidbits. Overall, Roe is kind of interesting but he's another guard on a team with a lot of guards and I don't see anything he does that I think would stand out in the group. Clearly, Montgomery is looking for another guard because he keeps making offers to guards. But, from what I can tell, Monty has 3 more slots and he can realistically add to two forwards and another guard. Honestly, if it came down to either of the JUCO guards (Roe/T.Jones) vs the high school guards (Sheffers/J.Jones), I'd take a JUCO and preferably Roe. Tavon Jones may have more "potential" but Roe's probably the safer bet and at least he can shoot from behind the arc. It appears NIU was the only other school to make an offer to Roe.

Tafari Simms - COMMITTED TO MILWAUKEE - Sophomore - 6'6" - SF - 2* from Lincoln Prep at St. Mary Prep (I can't figure out where this school is but his hometown is Hamilton, ON) - Started his collegiate career at Western Texas College where last year, he started 31 of 33 games and averaged 11.8 ppg/6.8 rpg shooting 48.2% from the field (42,1% 3PT) and 73% FT.

Simms had received offers from Tennessee-Martin, Incarnate Word, New Orleans, and NIU.

Adong Makoui - COMMITTED - Sophomore - 6'9" - PF - 2* from The RISE Centre Academy (Brantford, ON, his hometown is Edmonton, AB) - Makoui started his career at Daytona State College where he started 30 of 30 games averaging 6.6 ppg/5.4 rpg while shooting 69.8% from the field and 75% FT. He also blocked 46 shots which is about 1.5 per game.

Makoui has other offers from SIU, Portland State, Murray State, Kent State, and Buffalo.

Christian McCray - COMMITTED TO CSU FULLERTON - Sophomore - 6'7" - SF - West Los Angeles College (Culver City, CA) - 2* recruit from Oak Hill Academy (Wilson, VA)/I'm not sure where he attended HS before Oak Hill but he's from Plantation, FL (I think he went to Everglades HS but I'm not 100% certain) - As a sophomore at WLAC, McCray started 28 of 30 games averaging 24.7 minutes and 18 ppg/6.8 rpg shooting 53.3% from the field (39.6% 3PT - 55 of 139) and 86% FT. West LA was pretty good last year going 21-9 and averaging 88.6 ppg. McCray led all scorers with his 18 ppg. McCray looks to be an accomplished scorer and has decent size. He's got long arms and legs and is built more like an athlete than someone who is built much thinner (somewhere between Jaylen Key and Levi Bradley). McCray has a lot of interest in his services presently with offers from: NIU, Georgia Southern, Southern, CSU Northridge, CSU Fullerton, Coppin State, North Carolina A&T, Chicago State, and Kentucky State. He's basically got his pick of region except maybe the northeast. If he wants to stay in California, he has a couple of decent opportunities. If he wants to get closer to home, Georgia State is a fantastic program. So, Montgomery has some work ahead of him but any add this late typically means there very well could be a chance.

Zool Kueth - COMMITTED - Sophomore - 6'7" - PF - Pratt CC (Pratt, KS) - 2* recruit from Gallatin HS (Gallatin, TN) - Last season as a sophomore at PCC, Kueth started 21 of 31 games averaging 26.9 minutes and 14.5 ppg/4.9 rpg shooting 42.6% from the field (32.9% 3PT - 69 of 210) and 77.9% from the line (53 of 68). Pratt CC went 19-12 last season scoring 80 points per game (while giving up 76 ppg). Zueth's 14.9 ppg were 2nd on the team to Jamel Horton's 17.3 ppg who has committed to Albany. Zueth started his collegiate career at D-I factory Tallahassee CC where he was limited to 17 games due to a broken ankle. He apparently decided to transfer to Pratt last year for a new opportunity to showcase his talents. (I'm thinking it was because TCC brought in 7 D-I players as transfers and he more than likely knew he was behind the 8-ball there...which he probably was). After his short year at Tallahassee, Zueth still received offers from D-I programs Jacksonville and Coastal Carolina. However, he felt the best decision was to stay at JUCO for one more year. In that sophomore season, Zueth was named to the All-KJCCC Second Team (KJCCC = Kansas Jayhawk Community College Conference). I'm guessing, at the D-I level he will play more SF than PF.

Kueth appears to be long and thin. Physically, I'd say a taller version of Gairges Daow. He's got a high release on a pretty quick shot (he doesn't jump much on the shot, it's barely more than a set shot, but a real quick one). Zueth has a variety of colleges to pick from as he's received a number of offers this offseason from NIU, Lamar, Texas-Rio Grande Valley, Bryant, Northern Colorado, Tennessee State, and Louisiana-Monroe. Not exactly an impressive list of programs (Tennessee State probably being the best) but a wide selection nonetheless.

Anthony Crump - Transferring from Middle Tennessee State - RS Freshman - 6'8" - SG - 2* recruit from Plymouth HS (Canton, MI) - So, this one snuck up on me. Obviously, as a D1 transfer, Crump is going to have to sit a season, but he should be someone to look forward to in 2021. That's my impression from watching his videos (which, admittedly are from HS and are a couple of years old). Where I draw some trepidation is in his college stat lines. As a freshman at MTSU, Crump played in 9 games (7 starts) and averaged 17.2 minutes and 2.2 ppg shooting 32% from the field (0% 3PT - 0-2) and 40% FT (4-10). He most likely was injured as he received a redshirt for a 2nd Freshman campaign. As a RS Freshman, Crump played in 26 games (0 starts) averaging 11.8 minutes and 2.0 ppg shooting 44.8% from the field (66.7% 3PT - 2 -3) and 52.5% from the line (21-40). Also, MTSU was some kind of terrible last year (they used to be a conference contender year-in, year-out, but has seen a complete cratering of the program the past few years. Now, in watching his video (from HS), I saw two Crumps. The younger version had fantastic floor vision and was a really good passer. Honestly, it was hard to get an idea on his shot because 75% of the plays were passes. Then, as a senior (it looked like he'd grown about 4 inches...maybe more). He's tall and wiry. He's built like Levi Bradley but more athletic. He rarely shot from the outside (and his college numbers probably tell the story on that) but he also still appeared to be playing PG and at his size and with his athleticism, he was a handful for HS players to deal with. I'm curious to see what this guy becomes in a year. He could be a tall, go to the basket guard, which is interesting. He also showed hustle and good instincts in the few defensive plays I saw. Coming out of HS, Crump received offers from MTSU, UNC Asheville, and University of Indianapolis (DII) so not a ton of interest in a 6'7ish guard.

Time will tell with Crump. He seems interesting but also seems like he was either in a bad situation at MTSU (very likely) or hasn't figured out the college game just yet (which, a year off from game action my actually allow him to work on technique at this level...plus that whole, "fresh start" stuff). Consider me intrigued. I watched his video before I looked up his stats and...to be honest...I was quite surprised to see the low output. I will say this, he appears to be a poor free throw shooter so hopefully he'll work on that over this next year and get to at least 65%.

High School Seniors:

Luke Scheffers - COMMITTED TO CALVIN UNIVERSITY (D-III) (Grand Rapids, MI) - (6'1 - PG - 2* from St. Charles North HS (St. Charles, IL) - I'll do some video research on him tomorrow or the next day. Scheffers has received other offers from Nova Southeastern, Grand Valley State and Lewis University.

Ja'Moni Jones - COMMITTED TO SCHOOLCRAFT COLLEGE (Livonia, MI) - 5'11" - PG - 2* from East Kentwood HS (Kentwood, MI) - I'll do some video research on him tomorrow or the next day however, I still am hoping his first name is pronounced "Jay-Money". Actually, I don't care how it's pronounced...that's how I'm gonna say it. Jones has received no other offers.

Jones is electing to go the JUCO route. Interestingly, back in February, Jones received and invitation to go to Oakland and participate in Stephen Curry's basketball camp scheduled to take place in early April. I'm sure that never happened as the entire world shut down soon after it was announced.

Jeremiah Williams - COMMITTED TO TEMPLE - 6'5" - SF - Simeon Career Academy (Chicago) - I'll do some video research on him tomorrow or the next day (I never got around to the research and I'm now fine with forgetting about it...). Williams has received additional offers from Georgia State, Mount St. Mary's, Temple, St. Bonaventure, UIC, Western Michigan, SIU, Northern Iowa, Akron, Valparaiso, Milwaukee, and Detroit Mercy. NIU has its work cut out for it and the coaching staff to land Williams as he's got some pretty high profile programs plus one right in his backyard if he prefers to stay near home.

NIU always had its work cut out for it in regards to the amount of offers Williams was receiving. As a junior at St. Laurence, Williams averaged 18.3 ppg, 9.8 rpg, 3.5 apg, and 2.5 bpg for a team that won 20 games and a regional title. I'm just having trouble finding stats on his senior season other than he scored 21 points and grabbed 11 rebounds in the the City Championship game. Apparently, back in February, he stated in an interview that he was leaning really heavy at going to SIU. Something obviously changed.

2021-22 High School Recruits:

Scottie Ebube - COMMITTED TO SIU - 6'8" - PF - 2* from Mundelein HS (Mundelein, IL) - I'll do some video research on him tomorrow or the next day however, I'd like to note that NIU has had an offer in on this guy for some time now so that may be a good indication that Montgomery has a good relationship with him and/or his head coach. Ebube has received additional offers from SIU, Miami, Toledo and Cleveland State.

Keon Thompson - 6'2ish" - PG - 2* from Merrillville HS (Merrillville, IN) - I have no idea, but this name sounds so familiar to me like I've written him up before but apparently I haven't. So...here goes. Thompson hails from Merrillville HS which is the stuff of folklore around NIU fandom as we all know that is the HS alma mater of NIU superstar TJ Lux. It also happeng to be the same high school that TJ called home for eight years as the head basketball coach before hanging up his whistle two seasons ago citing that he wanted to spend more time with his three sons.

Anyway, enough about TJ, this is about Keon. I've seen Keon listed as 6'1", 6'2", AND 6'3". Just judging from video I've seen of him, he's bigger than 6'1". So...6'2" or 3"... He's strongly built and is a heck of an athlete. His highlight videos focus almost entirely on him dunking. Everything from fastbreak dunks to beat the guy off the dribble and drive the lane dunks to alley-oop dunks. Once, and this one was most impressive to me, a teammate offered up an alley-oop that was interrupted in some way. Thompson collected the ball and was standing flat footed under the basket. He proceeded to jump straight up and dunks the ball. He can jump. He's also built a bit like a running back. He's not as thick as Tyler Cochran but he's bigger than German and Beane. He also appears to be short limbed which is what gives me the running back vibe. But don't get me wrong, the dude is athletic. Is he a point guard at the college level? I don't think so. He appears to be a scorer. I've dug around and can't come up with a stat line for his junior year so he'll be one to keep an eye on if they every play basketball in 2020-21 (although, he's probably got a better shot at it being in Indiana). His outside shot is featured a bit but not enough for me to make any speculation. It doesn't look funky or anything.

As it stands, in addition to NIU, Thompson has received offers from Valparaiso, Miami, New Orleans, Ball State, Cleveland State, Drake, Indiana State, and Robert Morris. So, lots of in-state attention he's getting but, if he wants to stay in the Chicago "area", NIU looks to be it (although...I supposed you could make a case for Valpo).
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2020 02:55 PM by Big Red.)
04-07-2020 04:33 PM
pvk75 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, MAC
Terrific, fresh post.
04-07-2020 06:02 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
How on earth did you get all this info. If you could periodically update this, that would be splendid!!
04-07-2020 06:16 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

(04-07-2020 06:16 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  How on earth did you get all this info. If you could periodically update this, that would be splendid!!

Yes, I plan to. I typically will update it daily with any changes.
04-07-2020 06:34 PM
Advertisement

Big Red Offline
All American

I forgot to mention this earlier, but NIU just recently lost two offered recruits.

Jayson Kent - 6'7" - SG - 2* from Oak Forest HS (Oak Forest, IL) - Kent committed to Bradley. He had other offers from Columbia (this leads me to think he's a bit of a brainiac), Loyola (MD), SIUe, Mount St. Mary's, South Dakota State, Chicago State, and NIU.

Latrell Wrightsell, Jr. - 6'1" - PG - 2* from Omaha Central (Omaha, NE) - Wrightsell, Jr. committed to CSU Fullerton. He had other offers from North Texas, Pittsburgh State, SIUe, South Dakota State, Green Bay, Purdue Fort Wayne, Bradley, South Dakota, and NIU.

I doubt either of these losses is anything to worry about. I do like Kent's size and he was considered to be a bit of a breakout star this year, but that in and of itself brings with it some concern. He clearly wasn't on scouts top lists heading in to the season and had a really good year for the Bengals in a year when they were really good. So, who know if it was because of him or if his performance was elevated because he was on a really talented team.

Wrightsell, Jr. doesn't seem like much to me. He's small and got a handful of offers from D-II schools so, going to the Titans may be the calibre he's at. Not to say that Fullerton has a lower threshold for its recruits than NIU, just that guys like Wrightsell, Jr. are pretty easy to come by.

And to be honest, I don't think guard is going to be our biggest area of need next year anyway. I'd like to see a JUCO big man on the radar soon. For obvious reasons. But between Hankerson, Mateen, Henry-Hayes, and Beane (and if they add Gholston), I think they're more than fine at guard. (the two high schoolers haven't impressed me much in what I've seen so far...but, in the MAC, star players often come out of nowhere and typically have that 3 or 2 star attached to them when recruited.)

I will say this, if Keenan Cole grows just 2 more inches, he's got the body and strength to be a real good big in this league.
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2020 06:51 PM by Big Red.)
04-07-2020 06:51 PM
Schaefer Beer Offline
1st String

Big Red, great info! Do you know how many scholly's Monty has or needs to fill for 2020-2021?
04-07-2020 07:11 PM
Doggone Offline
1st String

Looks like Kaleb Thornton just committed per his twitter account.
04-07-2020 08:37 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

(04-07-2020 07:11 PM)Schaefer Beer Wrote:  Big Red, great info! Do you know how many scholly's Monty has or needs to fill for 2020-2021?

reply fail...
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2020 10:59 PM by Big Red.)
04-07-2020 10:58 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

(04-07-2020 07:11 PM)Schaefer Beer Wrote:  Big Red, great info! Do you know how many scholly's Monty has or needs to fill for 2020-2021?

As of right now, with Thompson committing, NIU has 3 scholarships left to fill unless someone decides to transfer out.

Before today, they had 4 scholarships with their 4 seniors leaving the program (Eugene German, Lacey James, Noah McCarty, and Alize Travis).

Some have speculated that Henry-Hayes will transfer but I don't think he will. He'll be a senior so he can't transfer to a JUCO and he was hurt so much last year he lost about any value he had. Granted, he could just say "to hell with it" and go D-II but I think he'll stay and hopefully he'll stay healthy. When he played, he played well and later in the season, he showed poise and some kind of calm leadership on the floor.

I would say the guarantees coming back are:

Seniors:
Zaire Mateen
Gairges Daow
Chris Johnson
Nathan Scott

Juniors:
Darius Beane
Trendon Hankerson (walk-on)

Sophomores:
Dan Fillippone (walk-on)
Kaleb Thornton
Tyler Cochrane
Justin Lee
Keenon Cole

Freshmen:
???

Gholston would be a junior if he commits. If they add him and give Hankerson a scholarship, they'd be down to 1 remaining scholarship. And of the other offers they have out there, only Jeremiah Williams intrigues me at all.

Honestly, having 5 sophomores, I'd be more fine with them not bringing in any freshmen this year and targeting a JUCO big. Granted, this is dependent on them putting Hankerson on scholarship, which I suppose there is no guarantee.

I can't figure that one out. I've speculated in the past that Hankerson has his financials taken care of. Whether its through academic scholarships or some rich family member (I lean towards the academic scholarships angle) then this would open up an extra scholarship to use for two more years.
04-07-2020 11:12 PM
Advertisement

Big Red Offline
All American

(04-07-2020 08:37 PM)Doggone Wrote:  Looks like Kaleb Thornton just committed per his twitter account.

Thank you!
04-07-2020 11:12 PM
niu1980 Offline
2nd String

(04-07-2020 11:12 PM)Big Red Wrote:  

As of right now, with Thompson committing, NIU has 3 scholarships left to fill unless someone decides to transfer out.

Before today, they had 4 scholarships with their 4 seniors leaving the program (Eugene German, Lacey James, Noah McCarty, and Alize Travis).

Some have speculated that Henry-Hayes will transfer but I don't think he will. He'll be a senior so he can't transfer to a JUCO and he was hurt so much last year he lost about any value he had. Granted, he could just say "to hell with it" and go D-II but I think he'll stay and hopefully he'll stay healthy. When he played, he played well and later in the season, he showed poise and some kind of calm leadership on the floor.

Seniors:
Zaire Mateen
Gairges Daow
Chris Johnson
Nathan Scott

Juniors:
Darius Beane

Sophomores:
Dan Fillippone (walk-on)
Kaleb Thornton
Tyler Cochrane
Justin Lee
Keenon Cole

Freshmen:
???

Gholston would be a junior if he commits. If they add him and give Hankerson a scholarship, they'd be down to 1 remaining scholarship. And of the other offers they have out there, only Jeremiah Williams intrigues me at all.

Honestly, having 5 sophomores, I'd be more fine with them not bringing in any freshmen this year and targeting a JUCO big. Granted, this is dependent on them putting Hankerson on scholarship, which I suppose there is no guarantee.

I can't figure that one out. I've speculated in the past that Hankerson has his financials taken care of. Whether its through academic scholarships or some rich family member (I lean towards the academic scholarships angle) then this would open up an extra scholarship to use for two more years.

Are you sure Travis is done? He was not honored on Senior Night and missed all of last year due to an injury.

Great information, thanks for doing all this.
04-08-2020 09:38 AM
Big Red Offline
All American

(04-08-2020 09:38 AM)niu1980 Wrote:  
(04-07-2020 11:12 PM)Big Red Wrote:  

Seniors:
Zaire Mateen
Gairges Daow
Chris Johnson
Nathan Scott

Juniors:
Darius Beane

Sophomores:
Dan Fillippone (walk-on)
Kaleb Thornton
Tyler Cochrane
Justin Lee
Keenon Cole

Freshmen:
???

Are you sure Travis is done? He was not honored on Senior Night and missed all of last year due to an injury.

Great information, thanks for doing all this.

I suppose there's a chance he could apply for a medical redshirt. Or they could just redshirt him (I don't pretend to know the process or limits).

But, he's played a grand total of 7 games for NIU in 2 years. I don't see them going out of their way to keep him on the team if they don't think he's going to contribute.

He's definitely a senior. Whether or not he's got any eligibility left, I have no clue. He shouldn't unless something allows him another year. But I'd doubt he's coming back. If he is, he's going to eat up a scholarship.
04-08-2020 01:06 PM
Growler83 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
According to this article, NIU is looking at 6’8” center from Sauk Valley, Andrew Morrissey. He was a leading player for the Winnebago team that finished second in state for 2A in 2018. I always thought he would fit well in the MAC. He is strong, good footwork, finishes around the rim well and has a decent outside shot. His issue has been running the floor but improved that at Sauk Valley. The problem is that he tore his ACL during the season and may have to sit out a year.
https://www.rrstar.com/sports/20200320/a...ck-on-hold
04-08-2020 08:16 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

Brandon Johnson of WMU has announced his transfer to Minnesota.
04-09-2020 02:39 PM
Advertisement

Big Red Offline
All American

NIU has added two more JUCO recruit offers for next year.

Tafari Simms - Sophomore - 6'6" - SF - 2* from Lincoln Prep at St. Mary Prep (I can't figure out where this school is but his hometown is Hamilton, ON) - Started his collegiate career at Western Texas College where last year, he started 31 of 33 games and averaged 11.8 ppg/6.8 rpg shooting 48.2% from the field (42,1% 3PT) and 73% FT.

Simms has other offers from New Orleans, Milwaukee, Incarnate Word, Tennessee-Martin, and Maryland-Eastern Shore.

Adong Makoui - Sophomore - 6'9" - PF - 2* from The RISE Centre Academy (Brantford, ON, his hometown is Edmonton, AB) - Makoui started his career at Daytona State College where he started 30 of 30 games averaging 6.6 ppg/5.4 rpg while shooting 69.8% from the field and 75% FT. He also blocked 46 shots which is about 1.5 per game.

I'm a little pressed for time this morning so I hope to have some time to look at some video later today. Barely first impressions from me are positive on both of these guys. Makoui looks like he could fill the James/McCarty role. Big, strong dude. And Simms appears to be an athletic guy with decent size and a pretty good shot from behind the arc.

Again, I hate to say too much because I don't know much and hope to a little later. But I just wanted to pass along the two new potentials.
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2020 09:25 AM by Big Red.)
04-11-2020 09:25 AM
StevenNIU Offline
1st String

(04-11-2020 09:25 AM)Big Red Wrote:  NIU has added two more JUCO recruit offers for next year.

Tafari Simms - Sophomore - 6'6" - SF - 2* from Lincoln Prep at St. Mary Prep (I can't figure out where this school is but his hometown is Hamilton, ON) - Started his collegiate career at Western Texas College where last year, he started 31 of 33 games and averaged 11.8 ppg/6.8 rpg shooting 48.2% from the field (42,1% 3PT) and 73% FT.

Simms has other offers from New Orleans, Milwaukee, Incarnate Word, Tennessee-Martin, and Maryland-Eastern Shore.

Adong Makoui - Sophomore - 6'9" - PF - 2* from The RISE Centre Academy (Brantford, ON, his hometown is Edmonton, AB) - Makoui started his career at Daytona State College where he started 30 of 30 games averaging 6.6 ppg/5.4 rpg while shooting 69.8% from the field and 75% FT. He also blocked 46 shots which is about 1.5 per game.

I'm a little pressed for time this morning so I hope to have some time to look at some video later today. Barely first impressions from me are positive on both of these guys. Makoui looks like he could fill the James/McCarty role. Big, strong dude. And Simms appears to be an athletic guy with decent size and a pretty good shot from behind the arc.

Again, I hate to say too much because I don't know much and hope to a little later. But I just wanted to pass along the two new potentials.

Big Red, I really enjoy the time and effort you put into this. I hope you don't start charging a subscription fee!
04-11-2020 04:05 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
(04-09-2020 02:39 PM)Big Red Wrote:  Brandon Johnson of WMU has announced his transfer to Minnesota.

Brandon Johnson really does seem like a Gopher type player, the frame and skillset they really value. What a tough blow for WMU. Hawkins out and then losing two key players. At least NIU may not be the worst team in the MAC next season!
04-11-2020 04:38 PM
dc1 Offline
Special Teams

Huskies sign 6’7-6’8 Chinedu Okanu a center from Vincennes University
04-11-2020 05:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.