Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

State Of The University Address Today
Bookmark and Share
PaulJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo
RE: State Of The University Address Today
vacant posts have been used across many units in recent FY budget cuts, not many of those remaining and voluntary departures and retirements will not be enough. Layoffs and reduced hours are coming for many PSA and CWA staff, there simply no way that will be avoided. Its going to be brutal
04-14-2020 04:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
(04-14-2020 04:06 PM)PaulJ Wrote:  vacant posts have been used across many units in recent FY budget cuts, not many of those remaining and voluntary departures and retirements will not be enough. Layoffs and reduced hours are coming for many PSA and CWA staff, there simply no way that will be avoided. Its going to be brutal

When I mentioned that, I was more or less referring to every new open position. They are recapturing all of those lines centrally and not allowing any searches to move forward at this time...PSA, CWA, AAUP, the whole lot.
04-14-2020 06:15 PM
BearcatMan Offline

President just sent out an email that media sources have posted about confirming that UT will need to make up AT LEAST $41M over the next two years.
04-15-2020 09:30 AM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(04-15-2020 09:30 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  President just sent out an email that media sources have posted about confirming that UT will need to make up AT LEAST $41M over the next two years.

Works out to about $17 a month for each UT alum.
04-15-2020 10:30 AM
IamN2daRockets! Offline
All American

It’s a good thing we have the merger to offset these costs

Sorry to be cynical. I’m sure UT will come out of this OK but this will be so tough. It’s an upper academic financial pandemic. This too shall pass. Industry has had to “right size” for years and now its arrived at academia.

I feel so bad for those about to be affected. God speed to all

Go Rockets!
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2020 11:52 AM by IamN2daRockets!.)
04-15-2020 11:47 AM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

"Industry has had to “right size” for years and now its arrived at academia."

UT has been cutting budgets and staff positions (including faculty) for several years now, one of the reasons a 15-20% FY21 is so hard at UT is because there is very little left, sure some retirements, eliminating positions remain, but those will be far short of $25-30 million cut needed for FY21. In some respects it is a one year adjustment to the financial, state budget, recession and enrollment drops due to impacts from the virus, but although FY22 and FY23 may see some improvements, once cut its not easy or expected that those cuts will be removed in future (some cuts should be permanent, fair enough), how freshmen enrollment was already on decline and projected to continue through this decade, those impacts will still be felt. And yea I know a economic decline results in more folks returning to college for degree and training, but the freshmen drop can not be replaced by that gain. Sure we have heard this doom and gloom about budgets, enrollment drops for years, but this is different, much deeper, reaching into basic services, and sustained impacts. UT will survive but will be very different, and not all in a positive way, in the next year and future.
04-15-2020 02:07 PM
BearcatMan Offline

(04-15-2020 02:07 PM)PaulJ Wrote:  "Industry has had to “right size” for years and now its arrived at academia."

UT has been cutting budgets and staff positions (including faculty) for several years now, one of the reasons a 15-20% FY21 is so hard at UT is because there is very little left, sure some retirements, eliminating positions remain, but those will be far short of $25-30 million cut needed for FY21. In some respects it is a one year adjustment to the financial, state budget, recession and enrollment drops due to impacts from the virus, but although FY22 and FY23 may see some improvements, once cut its not easy or expected that those cuts will be removed in future (some cuts should be permanent, fair enough), how freshmen enrollment was already on decline and projected to continue through this decade, those impacts will still be felt. And yea I know a economic decline results in more folks returning to college for degree and training, but the freshmen drop can not be replaced by that gain. Sure we have heard this doom and gloom about budgets, enrollment drops for years, but this is different, much deeper, reaching into basic services, and sustained impacts. UT will survive but will be very different, and not all in a positive way, in the next year and future.

Yep...there may be whole Colleges on the block at this point honestly. You know there are a whole lot of cost-benefit analyses going on being closed doors with the Colleges that have seen significant enrollment declines over the last decade or so. And athletics will most certainly have a large, tough pill to swallow.
04-15-2020 02:34 PM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

If you are referring to the colleges within UT, I doubt you will see any folded or merged, but certainly those with the largest drops in enrollment, past present and projected for Fall will see the largest budget cuts, staff layoffs, etc... There will be some careful consideration about cuts to instructional, operational, and infrastructure, as as tempting as it may be to make huge changes in preparing for FY21, there also be some thought as to FY 22 and beyond so as not to risk lost future opportunities that may emerge in the coming years. I am not suggesting a huge enrollment boast in Fall 2021 but it could be an increase plus many looking to seek education and training for new jobs and careers during and coming out of a recession. For example, COBI had decline in AY2019-2021, and will in Fall 2020, but how much do you cut and adjust for that while also considering an uptick in enrollment in 2021 and beyond as folks go to college to get a business degree?

Now in Ohio and across the US, for many smaller public and private colleges, the impacts from the virus, funding, enrollment and recession will result in a wave of closures.
04-16-2020 11:56 AM
BearcatMan Offline

(04-16-2020 11:56 AM)PaulJ Wrote:  If you are referring to the colleges within UT, I doubt you will see any folded or merged, but certainly those with the largest drops in enrollment, past present and projected for Fall will see the largest budget cuts, staff layoffs, etc... There will be some careful consideration about cuts to instructional, operational, and infrastructure, as as tempting as it may be to make huge changes in preparing for FY21, there also be some thought as to FY 22 and beyond so as not to risk lost future opportunities that may emerge in the coming years. I am not suggesting a huge enrollment boast in Fall 2021 but it could be an increase plus many looking to seek education and training for new jobs and careers during and coming out of a recession. For example, COBI had decline in AY2019-2021, and will in Fall 2020, but how much do you cut and adjust for that while also considering an uptick in enrollment in 2021 and beyond as folks go to college to get a business degree?

Now in Ohio and across the US, for many smaller public and private colleges, the impacts from the virus, funding, enrollment and recession will result in a wave of closures.

Were I at Lourdes, either as a student or employee, I'd be terrified at the moment.
04-16-2020 12:14 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

Lourdes has a credit transfer agreement with UT. Does anyone really think UT or BG would refuse a Lourdes transfer? Students will be fine, regardless it's the large state institution or the smaller more flexible institutions, which get hit hardest.

Lourdes doesn't seem an infrastruction or capital heavy institution. They're not research dependant. They have distance learning degrees in place. I don't think they've gone on a building spree and will be saddled with a lot of excess building space to maintain? They fill a niche. Their reputation in the community has only grown. I've simply not heard any horror stories from a student perspective. If they can retain it, they will be fine.

What will be interesting is watching whether the various public/private/small/large institutions see this as a Darwinian exercise or one of cooperation. These decisions were coming to UT, virus or no.
04-16-2020 02:07 PM
BearcatMan Offline

(04-16-2020 02:07 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  Lourdes has a credit transfer agreement with UT. Does anyone really think UT or BG would refuse a Lourdes transfer? Students will be fine, regardless it's the large state institution or the smaller more flexible institutions, which get hit hardest.

Lourdes doesn't seem an infrastruction or capital heavy institution. They're not research dependant. They have distance learning degrees in place. I don't think they've gone on a building spree and will be saddled with a lot of excess building space to maintain? They fill a niche. Their reputation in the community has only grown. I've simply not heard any horror stories from a student perspective. If they can retain it, they will be fine.

What will be interesting is watching whether the various public/private/small/large institutions see this as a Darwinian exercise or one of cooperation. These decisions were coming to UT, virus or no.

First and foremost, it's good to see your name pop up on here again, I feel like I haven't seen it in awhile and I always enjoy our banter.

Terrified only in the sense that they would have to find new institutions potentially...not that they'd be unable to do so. As you mentioned, there are matriculation agreements that would make that work rather easily, but if you want a case study of what Lourdes is going through, check out Cincinnati Christian University.

According to some conversations with counterparts over there last year they were running a percentage deficit near the cuts that are being discussed at UT LAST YEAR...so I'm assuming they'll be in a terrible situation financially at the moment. Their issue is the financing for all of the athletics facilities that's currently reaming through their cash reserves along with their incredible discount rates without the SSI's that public institutions receive paired with a significant enrollment decline BEFORE the general projections of anywhere between 5-10% fewer people enrolling in higher education this fall.

Please remember when you consider that they aren't "infrastruction" heavy, that they've essentially doubled the size of their campus in the last 10 years and bought a significant amount of residential facilities on the south side of Brint and East side of McCord. They're financed out the waazoo, because like UT they didn't have the reserves or gifts to pay for those with cash. The amount of encumbered capital improvements on that campus would astound you.

The one thing I will say is I don't know if public institutions will go by the Darwinian model you mentioned simply because there is far too much political pressure for things to not fail like that. Will they be different (ie mergers, contraction, etc.)? Absolutely, but I just don't see any of the even moderate 4-year state institutions going toes up.
(This post was last modified: 04-16-2020 03:47 PM by BearcatMan.)
04-16-2020 03:44 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

It's good to see any ID pop up here in these times BearcatM.

I knew they had purchased the land, the neighbors rightly were putting up a good squawk. I thought it a mistake then. But I don't think anything has been seriously sunk into that purchase. Worse case, they default the loan. The bank takes the property.

I imagine they have a higher percentatge of adjunct, which should make it easy to flex that salary cost to student population. When I say infrastruture and capital, I'm talking the type of expenses needed to run research labs, particulary heavy equipment labs like Engineering. They don't have that. They need to support classrooms and standard instructional Science labs. The Athletics yeah, different issue. Not sure why they got in to that. They did well but if necessary their costs to eliminate won't be anywhere near UT's, not even proportionally.

I'd think the primary matter as far as Lourde's survival is student population and as I said, I've heard no horror stories. They maybe got out of their lane a bit with the growth but they seem to have found and fill a niche rather well. Anyways, I don't wish them hard times. I hope the local institutions find a way to synergize and more than survive.
04-16-2020 04:17 PM
BearcatMan Offline

(04-16-2020 04:17 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  It's good to see any ID pop up here in these times BearcatM.

I knew they had purchased the land, the neighbors rightly were putting up a good squawk. I thought it a mistake then. But I don't think anything has been seriously sunk into that purchase. Worse case, they default the loan. The bank takes the property.

I imagine they have a higher percentatge of adjunct, which should make it easy to flex that salary cost to student population. When I say infrastruture and capital, I'm talking the type of expenses needed to run research labs, particulary heavy equipment labs like Engineering. They don't have that. They need to support classrooms and standard instructional Science labs. The Athletics yeah, different issue. Not sure why they got in to that. They did well but if necessary their costs to eliminate won't be anywhere near UT's, not even proportionally.

I'd think the primary matter as far as Lourde's survival is student population and as I said, I've heard no horror stories. They maybe got out of their lane a bit with the growth but they seem to have found and fill a niche rather well. Anyways, I don't wish them hard times. I hope the local institutions find a way to synergize and more than survive.

Couldn't agree more.
04-16-2020 05:17 PM
BearcatMan Offline

BGSU's BOT just approved a Furlough policy that would allow them to furlough any staff member for up to a 20 day period without the possibility of use of leave [that would kind of defeat the purpose of a furlough otherwise], and does not limit the amount of times a person could be furloughed. I'm thinking you're going to see redundant positions rotated onto and off of furlough down there, either that, or high pay admins who are not being utilized in these times (Directors of Advising, specific facilities/operations staff, auxiliary and residence life staff) onto furlough for specific periods shortly. I would also assume this gives UT the green light to do the same.
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2020 11:37 AM by BearcatMan.)
04-17-2020 11:34 AM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

I could see furlough over summer for non-essential employees and if students are not on campus in fall, furloughs for anyone that would have been working directly with students (dorms, food services, student programs, rec center etc...), but still think CWA and PSA jobs will be cut, and non-union folks facing 10% pay cut for FY21. All I know is that all these and many other options are on table and being discussed but likely no decisions announced until May. Next UT Board meeting is not until June 22 (when FY21 budget will need approval), but Board can call extra meeting at any time and likely will do prior to any upcoming major announcements.
04-17-2020 03:43 PM
BearcatMan Offline

(04-17-2020 03:43 PM)PaulJ Wrote:  I could see furlough over summer for non-essential employees and if students are not on campus in fall, furloughs for anyone that would have been working directly with students (dorms, food services, student programs, rec center etc...), but still think CWA and PSA jobs will be cut, and non-union folks facing 10% pay cut for FY21. All I know is that all these and many other options are on table and being discussed but likely no decisions announced until May. Next UT Board meeting is not until June 22 (when FY21 budget will need approval), but Board can call extra meeting at any time and likely will do prior to any upcoming major announcements.

Something I've heard discussed by a few people in the upper ranks and by other Universities are progressive pay cuts (ie a 1% increased cut for every $10,000 earned by an employee). Not sure how much that would affect the bottom line, but I'd assume since roughly 80% of our year to year expenses are on personnel salaries, it could make a big dent.

But yes, I could see CWA positions getting hit especially hard. The University could save a considerable amount of money if they outsourced Custodial and Maintenance work on a per job basis rather than having personnel on for 40 hours a week with only 10-20 hours of work.
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2020 08:27 AM by BearcatMan.)
04-18-2020 08:26 AM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

Just food for thought, AAUP faculty (tenured and tenure track) are set for a 2% rise end of August, that has already been built into FY21 planning UNLESS UT and AAUP discuss other options, butlaying off or furlough faculty not happening. Layoffs, reduced pay, furlough are all options on table for CWA, PSA, part time and contract faculty, and administrative positions. Tiered paycuts is an increasing concept, will come down to how much can be saved by such an approach, but certainly worth considering.
04-20-2020 03:48 PM
northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

Urbana U has announced they are closing permanently.

https://www.dispatch.com/news/20200421/o...enrollment
04-21-2020 07:35 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

They're using the virus as an excuse to do what they knew they were going to do anyhow but now they won't have to take the flack for mismanagement. Bet.
04-21-2020 08:09 PM
Dwight Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rockets
(04-21-2020 08:09 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  They're using the virus as an excuse to do what they knew they were going to do anyhow but now they won't have to take the flack for mismanagement. Bet.

I think this is right in a number of ways. The University administration is assuming worst case and using that assumption to justify giving faculty the choice of either taking a 20% pay cut or facing massive layoffs. On the one hand, faculty can't complain too bitterly since they are far from the only ones who will suffer financially due to coronavirus. On the other hand, the administration is making use of coronavirus in a cynical way.
04-21-2020 09:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.