ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ODU Wrestling Done
Monarchist13 Offline

I Root For: ODU
RE: ODU Wrestling Done

This program was on the verge of taking a massive step forward soon.
04-03-2020 09:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(04-02-2020 09:50 PM)Monarch Homselr Wrote:  I hate this news with every cell in my body!! I am too upset to post. I will try to get my desire to curse and write in all caps under control and post tomorrow. Main component tomorrow will be.....if it's just a million they want to save, get out of this g@#$^%ed conference with it's travel to bumf#$k Texas, Louisiana and Alabama!!!!!!!!!!!
The writing has bern on the wall for a ling time. Must have been 4 years ago they told us we wouldn't do any more ChIT tournaments because we couldn't afford it. That was the beginning.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
04-03-2020 10:01 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-03-2020 10:01 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(04-02-2020 09:50 PM)Monarch Homselr Wrote:  I hate this news with every cell in my body!! I am too upset to post. I will try to get my desire to curse and write in all caps under control and post tomorrow. Main component tomorrow will be.....if it's just a million they want to save, get out of this g@#$^%ed conference with it's travel to bumf#$k Texas, Louisiana and Alabama!!!!!!!!!!!
The writing has bern on the wall for a ling time. Must have been 4 years ago they told us we wouldn't do any more ChIT tournaments because we couldn't afford it. That was the beginning.

In fairness, most majors and upper mid majors have sworn off the third-tier tournaments. Now it's low-majors, .500 mid-majors and the rare 10-win major. I'd not be shocked if we've seen the last of both.
04-03-2020 10:12 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(04-03-2020 10:12 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(04-03-2020 10:01 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  

In fairness, most majors and upper mid majors have sworn off the third-tier tournaments. Now it's low-majors, .500 mid-majors and the rare 10-win major. I'd not be shocked if we've seen the last of both.
I'm not disagreeing that there are plenty of good reasons to not play in those tournaments. Just pointing out that our cited reason was money.

04-03-2020 10:17 PM
ODUwildman Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: SCSU
I've done my best not to go scorched earth over this but the administration refusing to answer the alumni questions and just telling the media (of which, I am a part of) they're not commenting on it anymore is just the athletic administration being straight up cowards.

Hey, if you want to make a tough decision, own it. Speak on it. Convince people this was necessary. Don't hide behind a press release and tuck tail and wait for things to blow over.

When you hire consultants, you're wasting money. They're going to pick the easiest way, get their money and go. They don't have any vested interest in who they work for. They look at the data, make a soulless decision, which is followed by the soulless leaders who were tasked to do a job and couldn't do that job, so they hired people to do their job for them.

Yes, you all know how bitter I am over this and how I've basically been scarily worried about when this day would come. Losing 2M a year just being in CUSA is enough to fund "two wrestlings." Although based on what I know from the staff, a 1M savings is funny math. But numbers are what the are, just like the release unnecessarily separating the schools who compete in D1 wrestling, but they're D2 (PSAC) and D3 (F&M) institutions. It's deliberate. To cite nearly 40 years of participation? Come on.

The lack of conference affiliation was a direct result of the move to CUSA. Wrestling had a conference home, in an all-sports conference. Wrestling did nothing wrong there. Wrestling was also academically in the Top 20 consistently, including #2 one year behind Harvard with team GPA. They fundraised well (until the school moved the goalposts - literally).

I know a lot of you won't lose a bit of sleep over this. We're going to fight to keep the program. If it was about funding, then the alumni should have been told and given the opportunity to fund it. I sense when one of the biggest money people in the region get them to the table, it's going to be a "Go To Hell" figure like 10M to bring back wrestling, but also fund another women's sport because you can't add a sport (because they would be adding in their funny math world) and not add a women's sport in this compliance situation.

Title IX compliance is also the doing of the administration. This law has been on the books since 1972 and its been wholly applied to college athletics since 1979. This is part of the job. You do not have a Title IX problem just sneak up on you. The addition of the FBS scholarships put ODU over the scholarship proportionality aspect of it. That's a direct doing of the administration. They made moves the put this program at risk.

The MAC expanded. Most of the opponents now were in NOVA, NJ and PA in the "Mac East" - the old MAC was the MAC West + SIUE. Travel costs were down. The team sent fewer backups to open tournaments.

If the current administration followed through on adding volleyball sooner and finding another women's sport to add to adhere to Prong 2 of Title IX (if softball wasn't an option, look for women's bowling or something like that). Hell, women's wrestling is on the docket to be an NCAA emerging sport. It's already been approved at D2 and D3. Beach Volleyball was another option.

The COVID-19 stuff was just the final straw. No one could have predicted this. That is NOT on the administration.

I'm holding out hope there's a solution. So for now, I'm still a giving member of the ODAF. But the alumni want answers. All non-revenue athletes should be enraged here. It shows the caste system of college athletics is alive and well with the way the athletic administration works in Norfolk.

Yes, that backup punter IS more important than the All-American tennis player and the starting goalie. Yes, that 15th MBB scholarship IS more vital to winning at ODU than the wrestler competing in the NCAA finals.

You've heard me b*tch about this kinda thing before. But the report FOIA'd by the VP/DP just puts it on wax. When my kids get to that age to choose a college, it likely won't be ODU, because dollar bills mean more to the administration than the athletes do.

Love you guys, no matter which athletes you choose to root for that wear the blue and silver.

Regards,
Jason Bryant,
ODU Class of 2004
Walking ODU Sports Billboard since 1997.
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2020 11:03 PM by ODUwildman.)
04-03-2020 10:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sirloin Burger Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU & VT
Selig could reverse course if he wanted to. He could just call it an elaborate April Fools joke.

If you're an ODU fan and don't like this decision, you all could get the ODU community and local/state politicians involved. VA Tech did and now they're in the ACC. UAB did and now they have their football back plus a new stadium.

04-03-2020 11:22 PM
Justanodufan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Odu
(04-03-2020 03:36 PM)MonarchsWon Wrote:  This is a Title 9 issue plain and simple. It's not CUSA. It's Title 9. If you are in favor of Title 9 than this is the result and has been the result for years. Wrestling programs have been getting axed for years primarily because of Title 9. It's Govt Social Engineering - no other way to explain it. These are the costs. It's a shame. NO Title 9 and ODU has Wrestling - no question. Title 9 is why we have women's rowing. If you like Title 9 and women's rowing - happy days are here. It's not Wood's fault. It's not ODU's fault. It's a quota system.

Well if ODU hadn’t chosen to restart football, then Wrestling would still be at ODU.

Count up the women’s sports roster sizes and count up the men’s sports (including wrestling and excluding football) and see if title 9 is still an issue
04-04-2020 03:03 AM
Justanodufan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Odu
(04-03-2020 10:55 PM)ODUwildman Wrote:  I've done my best not to go scorched earth over this but the administration refusing to answer the alumni questions and just telling the media (of which, I am a part of) they're not commenting on it anymore is just the athletic administration being straight up cowards.

Hey, if you want to make a tough decision, own it. Speak on it. Convince people this was necessary. Don't hide behind a press release and tuck tail and wait for things to blow over.

When you hire consultants, you're wasting money. They're going to pick the easiest way, get their money and go. They don't have any vested interest in who they work for. They look at the data, make a soulless decision, which is followed by the soulless leaders who were tasked to do a job and couldn't do that job, so they hired people to do their job for them.

Yes, you all know how bitter I am over this and how I've basically been scarily worried about when this day would come. Losing 2M a year just being in CUSA is enough to fund "two wrestlings." Although based on what I know from the staff, a 1M savings is funny math. But numbers are what the are, just like the release unnecessarily separating the schools who compete in D1 wrestling, but they're D2 (PSAC) and D3 (F&M) institutions. It's deliberate. To cite nearly 40 years of participation? Come on.

The lack of conference affiliation was a direct result of the move to CUSA. Wrestling had a conference home, in an all-sports conference. Wrestling did nothing wrong there. Wrestling was also academically in the Top 20 consistently, including #2 one year behind Harvard with team GPA. They fundraised well (until the school moved the goalposts - literally).

I know a lot of you won't lose a bit of sleep over this. We're going to fight to keep the program. If it was about funding, then the alumni should have been told and given the opportunity to fund it. I sense when one of the biggest money people in the region get them to the table, it's going to be a "Go To Hell" figure like 10M to bring back wrestling, but also fund another women's sport because you can't add a sport (because they would be adding in their funny math world) and not add a women's sport in this compliance situation.

Title IX compliance is also the doing of the administration. This law has been on the books since 1972 and its been wholly applied to college athletics since 1979. This is part of the job. You do not have a Title IX problem just sneak up on you. The addition of the FBS scholarships put ODU over the scholarship proportionality aspect of it. That's a direct doing of the administration. They made moves the put this program at risk.

The MAC expanded. Most of the opponents now were in NOVA, NJ and PA in the "Mac East" - the old MAC was the MAC West + SIUE. Travel costs were down. The team sent fewer backups to open tournaments.

If the current administration followed through on adding volleyball sooner and finding another women's sport to add to adhere to Prong 2 of Title IX (if softball wasn't an option, look for women's bowling or something like that). Hell, women's wrestling is on the docket to be an NCAA emerging sport. It's already been approved at D2 and D3. Beach Volleyball was another option.

The COVID-19 stuff was just the final straw. No one could have predicted this. That is NOT on the administration.

I'm holding out hope there's a solution. So for now, I'm still a giving member of the ODAF. But the alumni want answers. All non-revenue athletes should be enraged here. It shows the caste system of college athletics is alive and well with the way the athletic administration works in Norfolk.

Yes, that backup punter IS more important than the All-American tennis player and the starting goalie. Yes, that 15th MBB scholarship IS more vital to winning at ODU than the wrestler competing in the NCAA finals.

You've heard me b*tch about this kinda thing before. But the report FOIA'd by the VP/DP just puts it on wax. When my kids get to that age to choose a college, it likely won't be ODU, because dollar bills mean more to the administration than the athletes do.

Love you guys, no matter which athletes you choose to root for that wear the blue and silver.

Regards,
Jason Bryant,
ODU Class of 2004
Walking ODU Sports Billboard since 1997.

Men’s Basketball only has 13 scholarships (which is the NCAA Max).

I am not even going to pretend to be outraged by wrestling being discontinued, because I don’t support (financially or as a fan) the sport, but I understand those who are connected to the program have the right to be pissed off.

I do know that ODU Athletics hasn’t been financial stable for a long time and I honestly expected this to happen sooner.

People (especially on this board) are delusional. Multiple times I have read how ODU’s budget is the biggest in CUSA so ODU should be better, etc. problem is: pretty much every dollar that was in the budget was spent. When it costs baseball thousands per game to run the scoreboard and when every time there is a home basketball game (or wrestling match) athletics has to pay to use the Ted, it’s a recipe for financial disaster.

A lot of posters on this board think that ODU is some grand athletic program that deserves to be in a better conference and that the A10 or AAC should take ODU next time there is movement, but people don’t realize that the majority of ODU’s programs are average (at best). The A10 isn’t going to come calling anytime soon (men’s basketball would need to be a solid program for that to occur) and the only way the an AAC offer comes is if there is movement... and more than likely it will be the good teams leaving the AAC and ODU and others filling the gaps. Which would be just like the move to CUSA.

ODU needs a new conference, that is evident, but the question isn’t “what conference should ODU join?”, but “What conference will even take ODU?”
04-04-2020 03:23 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

ODU Wrestling Done
Need to add women's jelly wrestling

04-04-2020 07:18 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

“When you hire consultants, you're wasting money. They're going to pick the easiest way, get their money and go. They don't have any vested interest in who they work for. They look at the data, make a soulless decision, which is followed by the soulless leaders who were tasked to do a job and couldn't do that job, so they hired people to do their job for them.”

Unfortunately thats the reason for hiring consultants. To take emotions out of it and make the decision that makes the most sense financially. It sucks for sure.
04-04-2020 08:52 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

ODU Wrestling Done
The purpose of consultants is to get to the desired decision without getting blood on your hands. Saw it with the JJ hire as well as the stadium debacle. This time I support it... not the wrestling part, but the getting out of CUSA and recognizing that basketball needs to be the biggest focus.

04-04-2020 11:05 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-04-2020 11:05 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  The purpose of consultants is to get to the desired decision without getting blood on your hands. Saw it with the JJ hire as well as the stadium debacle. This time I support it... not the wrestling part, but the getting out of CUSA and recognizing that basketball needs to be the biggest focus.

Right, of course.
04-04-2020 11:07 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(04-04-2020 11:07 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(04-04-2020 11:05 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  The purpose of consultants is to get to the desired decision without getting blood on your hands. Saw it with the JJ hire as well as the stadium debacle. This time I support it... not the wrestling part, but the getting out of CUSA and recognizing that basketball needs to be the biggest focus.

Right, of course.
You upset with the path forward or that you were wrong?

04-04-2020 11:15 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

What was I wrong about?
04-04-2020 01:20 PM
AimHigher Offline
Heisman

Sign the petition to show your support for our wrestling program.
Save our program
04-04-2020 09:35 PM
DMC Offline
Water Engineer

Wondering if we can convince Joe Rogan to start an MMA team at the school? It could generate some money.

There is a UFC training gym off Military Highway and VB Blvd. Logistically it could work.
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2020 09:40 PM by DMC.)
04-04-2020 09:36 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

(04-04-2020 09:36 PM)DMC Wrote:  Wondering if we can convince Joe Rogan to start an MMA team at the school? It could generate some money.

There is a UFC training gym off Military Highway and VB Blvd. Logistically it could work.

Those gyms are franchises. If you have the money, you can open one anywhere you want.
04-05-2020 09:10 AM
VB Monarch Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion

I didn't read it that way. He seems to be saying "don't forget about basketball", but not that it needs to be the biggest focus. Am I wrong?
04-05-2020 10:11 AM
bench jockey Offline
1st String

Agree with you. VB

Sent from my SM-J320V using CSNbbs mobile app
04-05-2020 10:21 AM
Monarchist13 Offline

So what are the plans for the wrestling facility?
04-05-2020 11:15 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.