klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
RE: Could this be death of one or more of directional schools
(04-02-2020 09:33 AM)BleedsHuskieRed Wrote:  
(04-02-2020 08:51 AM)Big_Man Wrote:  
(04-02-2020 07:48 AM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  
(04-02-2020 12:28 AM)holybovine Wrote:  
(04-01-2020 11:20 AM)NILAW Wrote:  NFL plans to play in front of fans https://thehill.com/homenews/media/49057...nt-of-fans

We will see if that changes as time goes on.
Have fun folks. I’ll be watching from the safety of my home.

I imagine tickets will be reasonably priced.

Highly unlikely there will be a football season. This corona thing wont die down until after the election

Someone going to take the political bait here? He's trying to get it going, but will deny he said anything.....
Nah, it's just a hoax.

But for real, we will be lucky to have sports for the next year or two.

The longer this goes the more likely that will be. Will students return or will more get degrees online to save money. Right now 10 million have filed for unemployment the last two weeks. I heard up to 30 million could lose their jobs in near future. That's almost 10% of population unemployed.
04-02-2020 09:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
I think at this point in time we have crossed the threshold to killing more people over the long haul from economics, than the virus would be capable of.
04-02-2020 10:37 AM
HuskieJ Offline
No 1 Illness Hater

I Root For: NIU Only
(03-30-2020 04:56 PM)uiniu57 Wrote:  
(03-30-2020 10:36 AM)HuskieJ Wrote:  That's not true either. I agree that they paid in the amount required, but the math to obligate the taxpayers to that contract was totally flawed. It really does not matter that they "borrowed" from a plan. No matter how much they put in it will eventually be required that nearly 100% of tax revenue go to cover pensions and not regular expenses. No one is blaming the people taking the money, but it has to be pointed out that it is not sustainable. All new state employees should have been moved to 401k style plans 10 years ago, but the public sector unions do not want to release the strangle hold they have on Illinois. Illinois Supreme court is going way beyond what the law states right now to not allow new employees into this death spiral system. I will be here unfortunately for 2 more years. Wish I could leave tomorrow, because nobody wants to treat this seriously enough. Also it used to be that state employees were had lower pay to offset benefits like the pensions. Now state and federal employees have higher pay scales than the private sector and they get the benefits. Does not seem that fair to me.

Sorry but there are a few flaws in your post. No. 1, the money was in there and being added to in sufficient amounts to sustain things until it was all borrowed and never repaid. No. 2, the unions negotiated that deal because state employees had lower pay and therefore earned the pension benefits in place of the higher pay scales in the private sector. Aside from those at the very top, the average state and federal employee still does not make more than its equivalent in the private sector. It's the private sector's insane bonuses and golden parachutes for the very top which led to the handful of the highest level of state and federal being overpaid. Those few --- the supposed 100K pensions you previously talked about --- are the ones always pointed to as creating the unsustainability, not the vast majority of state workers which include professors, staff administrators, janitors, etc. The original contract never obligated the taxpayers, it obligated the union employees to accept the benefits in exchange. It DID NOT become a "death spiral" until so the money was drained and never replaced.

Stick your head in the sand and believe what you want. Even if all the funds were not touched, it is nowhere near the amount needed to cover the pension debt. The math never worked. Believe what you want, but the truth is plain that is was not sustainable from the start. The 3% auto increase makes it that way right off the top, then add in the promotions given just before retirement, and the people drawing multiple pensions. I do not blame the people getting the money. I blame the people in charge of this and the citizens of Illinois that will not do anything about it.
04-02-2020 11:09 AM
pvk75 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(04-02-2020 12:28 AM)holybovine Wrote:  
(04-01-2020 11:20 AM)NILAW Wrote:  NFL plans to play in front of fans https://thehill.com/homenews/media/49057...nt-of-fans

We will see if that changes as time goes on.
Have fun folks. I’ll be watching from the safety of my home.

Highly unlikely there will be a football season. This corona thing wont die down until after the election

Someone going to take the political bait here? He's trying to get it going, but will deny he said anything.....
Nah, it's just a hoax.

The Covid-19 crisis is going to change college athletics forever, not just the next year or two. The way things were will not be the way things will be, like it or not. The Covid-19 social distancing is pushing people into making remote communication and viewing the norm, far beyond what it already is/was. This crisis will prep the public attitude for the next one ... and there will always be the expectation of a next one.

Northern can lead, follow or get out of the way, the last one not being an acceptable option. This time is wasted if not for brainstorming and prepping for a real-world (rather than a bumper sticker slogan) move to "forward, together forward."

--- Priority #1: Survival. Now would also be a good time for STF to be more open with fans -- all the fans -- to set the stage for asking for more help. If he needs a reason to explain his sudden change, blame the coronavirus.
--- Skip the facilities projects and, when/if there's a return, go with smaller stuff. Think fan-oriented rather than capacity-oriented.

Just some stuff to talk about.
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2020 07:45 AM by pvk75.)
04-02-2020 11:17 AM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
(04-02-2020 11:17 AM)pvk75 Wrote:  
(04-02-2020 12:28 AM)holybovine Wrote:  Have fun folks. I’ll be watching from the safety of my home.

Nah, it's just a hoax.

The Covid-19 crisis is going to change college athletics forever, not just the next year or two. The way things were will not be the way things will be, like it or not. The Covid-19 social distancing is pushing people into making remote communication and viewing the norm, far beyond what it already is/was. This crisis will prep the public attitude for the next one ... and there will always be the expectation of a next one.

Northern can lead, follow or get out of the way, the last one not being an acceptable option. This time is wasted if not for brainstorming and prepping for a real-world (rather than a bumper sticker slogan) move to "forward, together forward."

--- Priority #1: Survival. Now would also be a good time for STF to be more open with fans -- all the fans -- to set the stage for asking for more help. If he needs a reason to explain his sudden change, blame the coronavirus.
--- Skip the facilities projects and, when/if there's a return, go with smaller stuff. Thin fan-oriented rather than capacity-oriented.

Maybe we can see STF as a leader and ahead of the curve promoting a diminished fan base, he was just a visionary seeing the need for increased social distancing. Hopefully DeKalb won't be a hotspot.
04-02-2020 08:36 PM
NIU84 Offline
1st String

(04-02-2020 11:17 AM)pvk75 Wrote:  
(04-02-2020 12:28 AM)holybovine Wrote:  Have fun folks. I’ll be watching from the safety of my home.

Nah, it's just a hoax.

--- Skip the facilities projects and, when/if there's a return, go with smaller stuff. Thin fan-oriented rather than capacity-oriented.

Here's a conversation from 20 years into the future, as people are walking through campus:

Dad - what's that big empty rundown outdoor building for, the one with all the seats?

Well son, before you were born, kids played sports there where they ran into each other, and people used to sit right next to each other and watch it and cheer it on. Fans coughed and sneezed and spit and farted all over each other, and they thought it was fun. Well, at least I did.

Dad that sounds lame. Not to mention illegal according to the federal public health laws passed in 2022, I might have to report you.

Son, before you do that, let me take you one more place, it's called the Paperback Grotto....

End of scene.
04-02-2020 10:44 PM
GeorgeBorkFan Offline
All American

I Root For:
(04-02-2020 11:09 AM)HuskieJ Wrote:  [quote='uiniu57' pid='16759261' dateline='1585605366']

Stick your head in the sand and believe what you want. Even if all the funds were not touched, it is nowhere near the amount needed to cover the pension debt. The math never worked. Believe what you want, but the truth is plain that is was not sustainable from the start. The 3% auto increase makes it that way right off the top, then add in the promotions given just before retirement, and the people drawing multiple pensions. I do not blame the people getting the money. I blame the people in charge of this and the citizens of Illinois that will not do anything about it.

Respectfully, do you know what you are talking about?

If you look at the municipal employee (IMRF) pension it is 90%+ funded. That is because, by law, those governmental bodies are not allowed to defer their contributions. How is that one solvent if the "math never worked?"

The deferral of the state pension payments really gained steam under Jim Edgar. And I was/am a republican leaning voter.
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2020 10:52 PM by GeorgeBorkFan.)
04-02-2020 10:52 PM
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

The state of Illinois is in financial ruin due to politicians make promises they can't keep, public sector unions voting these same people into office, then everyone sticking head in sand about the states financial condition. I am so happy I sold my house in Illinois back in September, I rent now. I can leave easier than some due to not owning a home. Pritzker thinks the federal government will come to rescue, they cant afford it either after we spend $6 trillion dollars and counting. Fyi, that is 1/3 of our GDP
04-03-2020 12:43 PM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
Since Illinois is destitute and at the point of financial collapse, I suggest we close the state down and make all residents and businesses move to Indiana. Illinois can become a physical wasteland in addition to a financial one. Hire a few kids to come in to cut the grass every week or so. NIU could become Northern Indiana University and not even have to change their logo. An additional benefit is that Indiana already has their own politicians, so all Illinois politicians will have to go out and try to get a real job.
04-03-2020 01:27 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(04-03-2020 01:27 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  Since Illinois is destitute and at the point of financial collapse, I suggest we close the state down and make all residents and businesses move to Indiana. Illinois can become a physical wasteland in addition to a financial one. Hire a few kids to come in to cut the grass every week or so. NIU could become Northern Indiana University and not even have to change their logo. An additional benefit is that Indiana already has their own politicians, so all Illinois politicians will have to go out and try to get a real job.

All the directionals can change their Illinois namesake to Indiana. Except for Southern IL since there's already Southern IN. The Salukis can just stay where they are and change their name to SMU (Southern Madiganistan University).
04-03-2020 03:20 PM
NIU75 Offline
All American

Fans get ready, we are not having football in the fall.

From Yahoo today:
The contradictions continued today, as ESPN reported that Trump believes the NFL should start on time in September. A few hours later, California Gov. Gavin Newsom said he doesn’t anticipate stadiums open for football in California in August and September.

In an article on NFL.com last week, NFL chief medical officer Allen Sills pointed out how more widespread testing would be needed around the country to allow NFL teams just to get back into their facilities.
"As long as we're still in a place where when a single individual tests positive for the virus that you have to quarantine every single person who was in contact with them in any shape, form or fashion, then I don't think you can begin to think about reopening a team sport," Sills told Judy Battista. "Because we're going to have positive cases for a very long time."
04-04-2020 06:14 PM
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

Newsome is an idiot. If we don't return to some kind of normality soon the US will have bigger problems then coronavirus
04-05-2020 07:54 AM
pantone1935 Offline
All American

I Root For: huskies
We may be lowering the curve but the curve (and deaths) will still be there until a vaccine is tested and proven. This vaccine will probably not be in place until after the normal football season.

GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
04-05-2020 08:21 AM
Rabid Squirrel Offline
Heisman

(04-05-2020 08:21 AM)pantone1935 Wrote:  We may be lowering the curve but the curve (and deaths) will still be there until a vaccine is tested and proven. This vaccine will probably not be in place until after the normal football season.

GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a hard time believing complete eradication of covid19 is when society starts back up. This virus will be floating around for ever. If this is seasonal it could wind down quickly. If it’s not....ugh. Gonna be awhile
04-05-2020 09:40 AM
NIU05 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
(04-03-2020 12:43 PM)klake87 Wrote:  The state of Illinois is in financial ruin due to politicians make promises they can't keep, public sector unions voting these same people into office, then everyone sticking head in sand about the states financial condition. I am so happy I sold my house in Illinois back in September, I rent now. I can leave easier than some due to not owning a home. Pritzker thinks the federal government will come to rescue, they cant afford it either after we spend $6 trillion dollars and counting. Fyi, that is 1/3 of our GDP

Sold your house? GREAT MOVE. We may get a major correction in housing prices. RE ins IL is dead money for sometime. It was not going anywhere before the virus with jobs and people leaving. The demand curve for RE in our highly congested communities NYC,Chicago, etc..etc could see a severe change. The state govt of IL needs the Dems to win this fall for a bailout of some kind, Trump will be in no hurry to hand them over money.
04-05-2020 11:02 AM
Big_Man Offline
Destroyer

I Root For: Chicago
(04-05-2020 07:54 AM)klake87 Wrote:  Newsome is an idiot. If we don't return to some kind of normality soon the US will have bigger problems then coronavirus

So if people are still testing positive, and there is no vaccine what would be your solution? Just have sports and hope that athletes and fans don't get sick? Would you have the same reaction if he had a "R" next to his name instead of a "D"?
04-05-2020 08:35 PM
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-05-2020 08:35 PM)Big_Man Wrote:  
(04-05-2020 07:54 AM)klake87 Wrote:  Newsome is an idiot. If we don't return to some kind of normality soon the US will have bigger problems then coronavirus

So if people are still testing positive, and there is no vaccine what would be your solution? Just have sports and hope that athletes and fans don't get sick? Would you have the same reaction if he had a "R" next to his name instead of a "D"?

During great depression 1 in 4 was unemployed. We will have far more die from suicide, hunger, heart attacks drug overdoses. I am not downplaying severity of this but trying to save every life now will cause way more deaths in future. I feel that another great depression will be way worse than coronavirus itself.
04-06-2020 08:00 AM
Big_Man Offline
Destroyer

I Root For: Chicago
(04-06-2020 08:00 AM)klake87 Wrote:  
(04-05-2020 08:35 PM)Big_Man Wrote:  

During great depression 1 in 4 was unemployed. We will have far more die from suicide, hunger, heart attacks drug overdoses. I am not downplaying severity of this but trying to save every life now will cause way more deaths in future. I feel that another great depression will be way worse than coronavirus itself.

You certainly are downplaying the severity of the Covid-19 outbreak. Do you have any data back up your claims besides listening to Rush Limbaugh?
04-06-2020 11:15 AM
NIU75 Offline
All American

At RE: Could this be death of one or more of directional schools
Today Daily Herald:
At Miami University in Ohio, which is bracing for a 20% drop in new students, officials are drafting plans that would cut half or all of the school's visiting assistant professors.
https://www.dailyherald.com/news/2020040...to-survive
04-07-2020 07:25 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
If all universities will move to online classes for the foreseeable future, I'm not sure why there would be a drop in registrations. If you want a college education, you have no choice. Will kids basically give up a college education because it will be temporarily online? On the contrary, I would think that registrations would go up because the students would save a lot of money on room and board until things get back to normal (whenever that may be). I mean, I am working from home now and am saving a lot on gas, commuting time, and wear and tear on my car, as are a lot of people. If this goes into next winter (which I doubt), think of the grief students will save from having to walk to classes in the tundra.
04-07-2020 09:13 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.