Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Could this be death of one or more of directional schools
Bookmark and Share
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
When schools come back on line, could this be the death of one or more physical universities in state. Funding for higher education will be slashed, online classes will be more prevalent. Will we need a campus in DeKalb, Charleston, Macomb, carbondale? Why do we need the administrative infrastructure?
03-22-2020 09:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NIU75 Offline
All American

RE: Could this be death of one or more of directional schools
(03-22-2020 09:51 AM)klake87 Wrote:  When schools come back on line, could this be the death of one or more physical universities in state. Funding for higher education will be slashed, online classes will be more prevalent. Will we need a campus in DeKalb, Charleston, Macomb, carbondale? Why do we need the administrative infrastructure?
Jobs and politics keep schools open. Just look at Chicago State with 197 freshman enrolment for 2019.
03-22-2020 10:14 AM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Definitely worried for Chicago St and WIU. If WIU closes, they should just rebrand SIUE as the WIU Leathernecks.
03-22-2020 12:44 PM
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
I always thought one major downstate university and a few smaller colleges would fold in Illinois at some point as more education is available online.

I assumed EIU would have a target on its back as U of I, U-I Springfield and ISU kind of have that area of the state covered, but they seem to be recruiting better than WIU, lately anyway.
03-22-2020 02:10 PM
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

Governor going all in on progressive tax now. If he doesn't get, illinois will be first state in bankruptcy. States can't go bankrupt. We will be uncharted territory
03-22-2020 03:00 PM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
The state will not go into bankruptcy or even come close to it. Money is flowing into state coffers like Niagara Falls. Taxes and fees are attached to everything we buy and do.

However, does it make sense to continue funding all of the state schools? No. It makes sense to close Chicago State, but they won’t do it for political reasons.
03-22-2020 03:51 PM
Advertisement

Huckin' Fuskie Offline
Bench Warmer

Georgia told its colleges and universities, "Our model is to have only two elite public universities, UGA and GA Tech. All other public colleges and universities will be second- and third-tier schools for people who can't get into those two or who want to stay local. We don't want to water down those two universities and scramble to fund several others that want to grow to that level."

So, the state has its two elite universities and then a variety of very good second- and third-tier support schools, along with private schools. I wonder if that will become a model for more states in the future.
03-22-2020 04:55 PM
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-22-2020 03:51 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  The state will not go into bankruptcy or even come close to it. Money is flowing into state coffers like Niagara Falls. Taxes and fees are attached to everything we buy and do.

However, does it make sense to continue funding all of the state schools? No. It makes sense to close Chicago State, but they won’t do it for political reasons.

Tax revenue will be way down for next three months at least. Pritzker said if no progressive tax, services will be cut. Colleges are first to go
03-22-2020 09:31 PM
HuskieJ Offline
No 1 Illness Hater

I Root For: NIU Only
I hope everyone realizes that the catering of the market will exponentially expand the Pension crisis in Illinois. Progressive tax or not the state is headed for insolvency. You can not raise taxes high enough to cover the mounting pension debt. When people can contribute $200k towards their pension, retire at 50, then get $100k+ per year for life with a 3% cola each year, there is no hope. This situation will just bring the end sooner. We should really worry about more than losing a few directional schools.
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2020 10:04 AM by HuskieJ.)
03-23-2020 07:02 AM
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-23-2020 07:02 AM)HuskieJ Wrote:  I hope everyone realizes that the catering of the market with exponentially expand the Pension crisis in Illinois. Progressive tax or not the state is headed for insolvency. You can not raise taxes high enough to cover the mounting pension debt. When people can contribute $200k towards their pension, retire at 50, then get $100k+ per year for life with a 3% cola each year, there is no hope. This situation will just bring the end sooner. We should really worry about more than losing a few directional schools.

That is why Dick Durbin is holding up the stimulus package. He knows illinois needs 100 billion to cover all dumb decisions Illinois politicians have made. The state coffers are zero. The gas tax is 100% down from projections. Tolls are down. Unemployed people make less money so income tax payments down. 8 billion backlog on unpaid Bill's, this will double in 3 months. Pension assets down 25% or more. Grim outlook
03-23-2020 07:35 AM
Big Red Offline
All American

(03-22-2020 04:55 PM)Huckin Fuskie Wrote:  Georgia told its colleges and universities, "Our model is to have only two elite public universities, UGA and GA Tech. All other public colleges and universities will be second- and third-tier schools for people who can't get into those two or who want to stay local. We don't want to water down those two universities and scramble to fund several others that want to grow to that level."

So, the state has its two elite universities and then a variety of very good second- and third-tier support schools, along with private schools. I wonder if that will become a model for more states in the future.

That's all fine and dandy, but Georgia State has an undergrad enrollment of 44k, Kennesaw State has 35k, and Georgia Southern has 23k undergrads. And 2 of those schools have FBS football programs (and, there's a decent chance KSU will have one in the near future).

Any of the "2nd tier" Illinois schools would kill for those enrollments.

With that said, I don't think some thinning of the herd would be the worst in regards to Illinois public universities. The two right off the top would be Chicago State (I believe it has it's purpose, but it people simply aren't going, what's the point?) and WIU. Next tier would be EIU and SIU.

SIUe makes more sense to keep open and promote because of it being located within a pretty dense population area. If given the choice (being interested in that kind of school, ie, decent size, public, etc), kids in that area are going to choose a St. Louis school that may not exactly fit their criteria exactly over SIU in Carbondale. Now, there is a lot of kids in the southern part of the state that would start going to schools like either Southeastern Missouri or Murray State or schools in Paducah or Evansville.

However, with an undergrad enrollment of only <9k, at some point, you have to consider if its that much of a draw (especially considering that a decent amount of students who go to SIU are from Chicago.
03-23-2020 10:23 AM
Advertisement

NIU75 Offline
All American

(03-23-2020 07:02 AM)HuskieJ Wrote:  I hope everyone realizes that the catering of the market will exponentially expand the Pension crisis in Illinois. Progressive tax or not the state is headed for insolvency. You can not raise taxes high enough to cover the mounting pension debt. When people can contribute $200k towards their pension, retire at 50, then get $100k+ per year for life with a 3% cola each year, there is no hope. This situation will just bring the end sooner. We should really worry about more than losing a few directional schools.
Can you please tell us who is retiring at 50 and then start receiving $100k+ per year public pension?
03-23-2020 02:02 PM
HuskieJ Offline
No 1 Illness Hater

I Root For: NIU Only
(03-23-2020 02:02 PM)NIU75 Wrote:  
(03-23-2020 07:02 AM)HuskieJ Wrote:  I hope everyone realizes that the catering of the market will exponentially expand the Pension crisis in Illinois. Progressive tax or not the state is headed for insolvency. You can not raise taxes high enough to cover the mounting pension debt. When people can contribute $200k towards their pension, retire at 50, then get $100k+ per year for life with a 3% cola each year, there is no hope. This situation will just bring the end sooner. We should really worry about more than losing a few directional schools.
Can you please tell us who is retiring at 50 and then start receiving $100k+ per year public pension?
You are not paying attention if you do not realize that Illinois public pensions are at a cola of 3% each year and they are out of control. I have limited access today, but here is one article to backup the unsustainability of this madness.

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/more-than...over-100k/
03-23-2020 03:02 PM
bikechuck Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies
The problem with underfunded pensions is soon to be a national crisis. As a retiree without a pension my portfolio is suffering from the same low to negative returns that are hurting pension funds. I don't want to be taxed at a time when the money that has to last me the rest of my life is declining to protect every penny of income for a state or city employee with a gold plated pension. They should lose their Colas and take a cut in their benefits just like the taxpayers that support their programs.
03-23-2020 03:52 PM
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

Our governor is quick to change Illinois constitution to install a progressive tax but no amendment to changing the pension plans.
03-23-2020 04:24 PM
NIU75 Offline
All American

(03-23-2020 03:02 PM)HuskieJ Wrote:  
(03-23-2020 02:02 PM)NIU75 Wrote:  
You are not paying attention if you do not realize that Illinois public pensions are at a cola of 3% each year and they are out of control. I have limited access today, but here is one article to backup the unsustainability of this madness.

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/more-than...over-100k/
I am still waiting for you to find me someone that is retiring at 50 and then start receiving $100k+ per year public pension?
I have found several people at 55 to 60 age who have retired at 100k but none at 50 years. Most of these people in the 55 to 60 range are school district superintendents, fire and police chiefs and city managers.
The sad point is that we all vote for our school board and city council members who give out high salaries that contribute to high state and local pensions.
03-23-2020 05:10 PM
Advertisement

stpeterocketfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Toledo
(03-22-2020 09:51 AM)klake87 Wrote:  When schools come back on line, could this be the death of one or more physical universities in state. Funding for higher education will be slashed, online classes will be more prevalent. Will we need a campus in DeKalb, Charleston, Macomb, carbondale? Why do we need the administrative infrastructure?

This is certainly going to be the death of some schools having sports and using student fees and or university funds to support them. This might very well be the nail in the coffin for that!
03-24-2020 01:37 PM
Huskies2006 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NIU, UF, Sox
(03-22-2020 04:55 PM)Huckin Fuskie Wrote:  Georgia told its colleges and universities, "Our model is to have only two elite public universities, UGA and GA Tech. All other public colleges and universities will be second- and third-tier schools for people who can't get into those two or who want to stay local. We don't want to water down those two universities and scramble to fund several others that want to grow to that level."

Is that not basically what we have in Illinois? UofI elite public, then a bunch of 2nd and 3rd tier schools.
03-25-2020 09:19 AM
Prince Crossing Offline
Bench Warmer

As a career public sector employee, here is my 2 cents about the pension. My friends in the private sector all receive bonus, stock options and perks that public service employees (at least at my very large public sector employer) can’t dream of. All have BS degrees with no added certifications, my BS and MBA from NIU didn’t help me much salary wise. The 4 professional certifications I paid for with my money also didn’t help. My buds all receive a new company car each year, btw a couple of their wives usually drive them which is ok with the company bosses. These guys are upper management (same levels as I) and have been employed for over 30 years at their place of work. Also, their salary is significantly higher than mine. I am forced to put 4.5% of my salary into the state plan in addition to paying into social security. After 27.5 years in the pension plan, you get 50% of your salary (generally averaged over the last 4 years of employment).
For the past dozen or so years, my employer has doled out an annual COLA of 2%, regardless of whether the employee is a shining star or one who takes a potty/smoke break 20 minutes every hour. For most, the annual increase in the health insurance cost exceeded the raise amount.

Could I have chosen a different path, like my buddies? Of course, but I found a job I enjoyed and stayed with it. Here is my biggest issue, my employer made a contract with me - give me 4.5% of your salary every paycheck and we will pay you $x at the end of your career. This is backed by a law approved by the legislature.

Me and the other public workers in the plan lived up to our part of the contract, the state needs to honor their part.
03-25-2020 09:50 AM
Skinut Offline
1st String

IPI is not a reliable source.
03-25-2020 10:25 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.