Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ESPN College Game Day for the Sun Belt
Bookmark and Share
Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
ESPN College Game Day for the Sun Belt
Let's dream a little and talk about what it might be like if ESPN took its Saturday morning hype show to one of our campuses.

What kind of season would it take to make that happen? Where on your campus would you want to show hosted? When in the season do you think it would be held?

Man I miss sports. Be safe and smart out there.
03-20-2020 03:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
RE: ESPN College Game Day for the Sun Belt
They went to Western Michigan during their run at the Access Bowl. I figure it would take something like that to get them to come to Statesboro as well. Therefore it would be later in the season after we've made some kind of significant noise.

There are a few places we could do it. Obviously, Sweetheart Circle would be my number one place even if it's on the opposite side of the campus from the stadium.
[Image: a1d17f7ebb8f3236ac0c62c9a6d767ba.jpg]

If we wanted to do it closer to the stadium, we could have it at the circle in between Business, IT, Nursing, and Education where all the new buildings are or even just have it at the FOC right next to the Erk Russell statue.
03-20-2020 07:24 AM
_x_ Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
For TXST I'd say set up right by the river in Sewell Park. Crowd can all congregate on bikini hill which would almost make it like a little amphitheater.

[Image: img_0596-1.jpg]
03-20-2020 10:20 AM
CC Eagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ga. Southern
There's no great venue for Gameday at GS. Sweetheart Circle is picturesque, but I don't know if it's big/open enough to host the set and a large crowd. They'd probably have to do it on the soccer field and force everyone to walk 1/2 a mile to attend and then there would still be complaints from the RV rows in the tailgate lot.

That said, GS would be the ideal location to turn Pat McAfee loose the night before the game.
03-20-2020 11:20 AM
eaglewraith Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GA Southern
(03-20-2020 11:20 AM)CC Eagle Wrote:  There's no great venue for Gameday at GS. Sweetheart Circle is picturesque, but I don't know if it's big/open enough to host the set and a large crowd. They'd probably have to do it on the soccer field and force everyone to walk 1/2 a mile to attend and then there would still be complaints from the RV rows in the tailgate lot.

That said, GS would be the ideal location to turn Pat McAfee loose the night before the game.

Cannot confirm.

I'd love to be able to step out of my RV in the morning right beside Gameday.
03-20-2020 11:29 AM
Advertisement

TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
(03-20-2020 11:20 AM)CC Eagle Wrote:  There's no great venue for Gameday at GS. Sweetheart Circle is picturesque, but I don't know if it's big/open enough to host the set and a large crowd. They'd probably have to do it on the soccer field and force everyone to walk 1/2 a mile to attend and then there would still be complaints from the RV rows in the tailgate lot.

Sweetheart Circle is around 8 acres. That's plenty big enough. Gameday regularly goes to the Grove at Ole Miss with zero problems.
03-20-2020 11:36 AM
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
If GameDay was at Troy, the set would undoubtedly be in Tailgate Terrace; plenty of space, nice area on campus, and the football stadium in the background.

[Image: Firefox-Screenshot-2020-03-20-T16-42-50-535-Z.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2020 11:44 AM by CardinalBlackTrojan.)
03-20-2020 11:38 AM
OsageJ Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
If it was at stAte the waterfalls should be in the background. Of course that would put the desk in the endzone. Ah...we got time to figure it out.
03-20-2020 12:30 PM
High Country Student Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: App. State
(03-20-2020 03:08 AM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  Let's dream a little and talk about what it might be like if ESPN took its Saturday morning hype show to one of our campuses.

What kind of season would it take to make that happen? Where on your campus would you want to show hosted? When in the season do you think it would be held?

Man I miss sports. Be safe and smart out there.

Late season matchup where we are undefeated and ranked top 15 in the country and hosting a team with no more than two losses but preferably one or zero losses. There would also need to be a weak schedule across college football that day. They would most likely have it on Samford Mall which is not very close to the stadium but there really aren't any other feasible options.
03-20-2020 12:46 PM
Advertisement

eagleskins Offline
1st String

I Root For: GSU

Have no idea how Sweetheart Circle wouldn’t be big enough. I saw this season where it was hosted at Clemson, and it was about as third as big a space.
03-21-2020 01:42 AM
GSUdpb Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Georgia State
I know it was a pipe dream but I was hoping if Appy was undefeated when they came to Atlanta last year and we kept winning that GameDay would give us a look. But we and GS ruined that.

The best place to set up would be "On the Bricks," the tailgating space pretty much inside the stadium they opened up last year. It's where the Hank Aaron statue still stands from Turner Field. It would have been very cool.
03-24-2020 01:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Of note though... Troy has probably had the closest setup to ESPN GameDay of any SBC school yet... hopefully that changes and we get an SBC school for real on College GameDay.

In 2004, when we hosted #17 Missouri at home, we had Kirk Herbstreit, Lee Corso, and Mike Tirico on the call on ESPN. It was a very big deal for those three to be in town.

They were mainly there because of the hype surrounding Mizzou that year, and the fact they had a Heisman candidate in QB Brad Smith... which made it so much sweeter to beat them.

03-25-2020 08:09 PM
All American

(03-25-2020 08:09 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  Of note though... Troy has probably had the closest setup to ESPN GameDay of any SBC school yet... hopefully that changes and we get an SBC school for real on College GameDay.

In 2004, when we hosted #17 Missouri at home, we had Kirk Herbstreit, Lee Corso, and Mike Tirico on the call on ESPN. It was a very big deal for those three to be in town.

They were mainly there because of the hype surrounding Mizzou that year, and the fact they had a Heisman candidate in QB Brad Smith... which made it so much sweeter to beat them.

Wow, and that was in, what, year 4 of FBS. Not bad at all. 04-cheers
03-26-2020 12:23 AM
Advertisement

TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
(03-26-2020 12:23 AM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  
(03-25-2020 08:09 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  Of note though... Troy has probably had the closest setup to ESPN GameDay of any SBC school yet... hopefully that changes and we get an SBC school for real on College GameDay.

Wow, and that was in, what, year 4 of FBS. Not bad at all. 04-cheers

Yeah. I think that was Troy's first year in the Sun Belt. Nearly won the title that year, losing to NMSU 18-22, something like that.
03-26-2020 11:57 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

(03-26-2020 11:57 AM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  Yeah. I think that was Troy's first year in the Sun Belt. Nearly won the title that year, losing to NMSU 18-22, something like that.

... and 22 total points shy of finishing the regular season undefeated...

Beat Marshall
Beat #17 Missouri
Beat Utah State
Beat Idaho
Beat FAU
Beat Middle Tennessee
Beat Louisiana

Lost to #18 LSU by 4 points
Lost to South Carolina by 10 points
Lost to NMSU by 4 points
Lost to Arkansas State by 4 points

IF we finish undefeated, does an 11-0 Troy from the SBC (with wins over Mizzou, LSU, and South Carolina) beat out an 11-0 Utah from the MWC (wins over Texas A&M, Arizona, and North Carolina) for a BCS Bowl?

Fun to think about... a shame it didn't happen...
03-26-2020 12:12 PM
sdcritter Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
If they ever came to Jonesboro and they didn't use the rice mill as a backdrop I'd be heartily disappointed. :)
03-26-2020 02:26 PM
All American

(03-26-2020 12:12 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  
(03-26-2020 11:57 AM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  Yeah. I think that was Troy's first year in the Sun Belt. Nearly won the title that year, losing to NMSU 18-22, something like that.

... and 22 total points shy of finishing the regular season undefeated...

Beat Marshall
Beat #17 Missouri
Beat Utah State
Beat Idaho
Beat FAU
Beat Middle Tennessee
Beat Louisiana

Lost to #18 LSU by 4 points
Lost to South Carolina by 10 points
Lost to NMSU by 4 points
Lost to Arkansas State by 4 points

IF we finish undefeated, does an 11-0 Troy from the SBC (with wins over Mizzou, LSU, and South Carolina) beat out an 11-0 Utah from the MWC (wins over Texas A&M, Arizona, and North Carolina) for a BCS Bowl?

Fun to think about... a shame it didn't happen...

Unfortunately, no, Troy would have been left out. That was the year Utah went undefeated in Urban Meyer's last season there.
03-26-2020 05:30 PM
PAAcocahesAssociation Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: AAC,CUSA,SoCon
(03-20-2020 11:36 AM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  

Sweetheart Circle is around 8 acres. That's plenty big enough. Gameday regularly goes to the Grove at Ole Miss with zero problems.

I know they went to the Grove in 2002 for the Florida game, 2009 and 2014 for the Alabama games: But other than that, they do NOT regularly go to the grove.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_Ga...V_program)
03-28-2020 10:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.