Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Favorite Rice Sports Memory
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
RE: Favorite Rice Sports Memory
Every time somebody posts a new memory, it makes my list longer, as I was there for most of them.
03-17-2020 04:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls
(03-17-2020 02:31 PM)ruowls Wrote:  
(03-15-2020 07:18 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  2. Being arrested in Lubbock ('84) after some douche bag Rice kicker won Rice's first SWC game in 3 years on a time running out field goal. I think the bourbon helped (aided, in great part, by my sedate personality.)

Just a few more comments....
Rice beat TCU at home the weak before to snap a 25 game SWC losing streak. The TT win in Lubbock was the first SWC road win for Rice since 1981.
That was one of my favorite moments as well. I also got to see Bill Doran (2nd baseman for the Astros who flew on the plane to Lubbock with the team) tell the kicker that he would kick a 57 yard FG to win the game....on the Thursday flight to Lubbock. I also had the best seat in the stadium to watch the flight of the FG and was the first to know it would be good. I also got to see Doran standing under the goalposts for the kick and then go over and get the ball from a hesitant ball boy. I then got to see Doran hand the ball to Hambone back in the locker room and say, "57 yarder baby! I told you so." That made the moment even more surreal.

Cool story! Thanks for sharing.

What was Doran’s connection to Rice football? He’s from the midwest and went to school in OH. Did he just adopt the Owls or was there another connection? Loved watching him play as an Astro.
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2020 05:41 PM by Tomball Owl.)
03-17-2020 05:29 PM
ruowls Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Football Genius
(03-17-2020 05:29 PM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  
(03-15-2020 07:18 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  2. Being arrested in Lubbock ('84) after some douche bag Rice kicker won Rice's first SWC game in 3 years on a time running out field goal. I think the bourbon helped (aided, in great part, by my sedate personality.)

Rice beat TCU at home the weak before to snap a 25 game SWC losing streak. The TT win in Lubbock was the first SWC road win for Rice since 1981.
That was one of my favorite moments as well. I also got to see Bill Doran (2nd baseman for the Astros who flew on the plane to Lubbock with the team) tell the kicker that he would kick a 57 yard FG to win the game....on the Thursday flight to Lubbock. I also had the best seat in the stadium to watch the flight of the FG and was the first to know it would be good. I also got to see Doran standing under the goalposts for the kick and then go over and get the ball from a hesitant ball boy. I then got to see Doran hand the ball to Hambone back in the locker room and say, "57 yarder baby! I told you so." That made the moment even more surreal.

What was Doran’s connection to Rice football? He’s from the midwest and went to school in OH. Did he just adopt the Owls or was there another connection? Loved watching him play as an Astro.

Well....
The receiver coach was from Cincinnati and his brother was in the same HS class in Cincinnati with Doran. They knew each other growing up in Cincinnati.
Another funny story was when I was at the football offices one day and Doran showed up. He and the receiver coach were going to lunch. Doran asked if I wanted to go and I said sure. The receiver coach started freaking out because if Doran bought my lunch that would be an NCAA violation. I told him I had money in my wallet to buy my own lunch and would do so. He still was nervous that someone might recognize Doran. I told him people might recognize Doran but do you really think people will recognize me let alone mistake me for a college football player. I got to go to lunch with them.
03-17-2020 10:39 PM
tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: rice
What I always find humorous was Milo Hamilton's way of introducing him.

Milo introduced the long, WWF style of announcing players coming to bat; in fact he was the originator of the CRUUUUUUUUZZZ. He did that for all of the players in the 83-ish era ---- big deep bass, and drawn out introduction.

Except Bill Doran.

When Milo announced Doran, it sounded fast and squeaky high pitched -- kind of like a 33 1/3 record being played at 78.

(I wonder if any of the younger uns' that graduated in the mid 90's and beyond understand the 33 1/3 and 78 references.....)
03-17-2020 11:13 PM
texowl2 Offline
All American

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
(03-17-2020 11:13 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  What I always find humorous was Milo Hamilton's way of introducing him.

Milo introduced the long, WWF style of announcing players coming to bat; in fact he was the originator of the CRUUUUUUUUZZZ. He did that for all of the players in the 83-ish era ---- big deep bass, and drawn out introduction.

Except Bill Doran.

When Milo announced Doran, it sounded fast and squeaky high pitched -- kind of like a 33 1/3 record being played at 78.

(I wonder if any of the younger uns' that graduated in the mid 90's and beyond understand the 33 1/3 and 78 references.....)

I thought j fred started the cruuuuuzzz when he was the dome announcer. And milo didn't show up until after McMullen tragically fired the outstanding Gene Elston after the 86 season....
03-17-2020 11:21 PM
tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: rice
Then it was probably Gene's intros I remembered.
03-18-2020 12:10 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(03-17-2020 11:21 PM)texowl2 Wrote:  I thought j fred started the cruuuuuzzz when he was the dome announcer. And milo didn't show up until after McMullen tragically fired the outstanding Gene Elston after the 86 season....

J Fred was indeed the originator of the "Jose Cruuuuuuuuz" intro, which he also used at Reckling for "Enrique Cruuuuuuuuz" (can't remember if he was the PA announcer when Jose, Jr., was an Owl, but I'm sure Fred used it if he was). Milo never was the stadium announcer, nor was Gene. J Fred was until about the time the Astros moved to Enron/Minute Maid.

Milo's first year with the Astros was 1986. He replaced Bob Prince, who according to Gene's son (who was in a Navy Reserve unit with me and recently passed away) was hitting the sauce too hard in his later years. For 1986 Gene was the primary announcer and Milo did the middle innings. I think Milo pulled some back room tricks to get Gene out. Milo was always nice to me, but I was really never a fan of his on-the-air style, going back to his White Sox and Braves days. Milo was always kind of over-the-top dramatic, whereas Gene was much more "just the facts." I like Gene's style far more.

I remember listening to the first game of the 1986 playoffs with the Mets. Milo did the pregame and introduced Gene for the play-by-play by saying, "And now, here is the only announcer the Houston Astros have ever had, Gene Elston." For some reason, his tone struck me and I thought, "Hmm, Milo is getting ready to change that."
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2020 11:02 AM by Owl 69/70/75.)
03-18-2020 07:22 AM
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-17-2020 10:39 PM)ruowls Wrote:  

Well....
The receiver coach was from Cincinnati and his brother was in the same HS class in Cincinnati with Doran. They knew each other growing up in Cincinnati.
Another funny story was when I was at the football offices one day and Doran showed up. He and the receiver coach were going to lunch. Doran asked if I wanted to go and I said sure. The receiver coach started freaking out because if Doran bought my lunch that would be an NCAA violation. I told him I had money in my wallet to buy my own lunch and would do so. He still was nervous that someone might recognize Doran. I told him people might recognize Doran but do you really think people will recognize me let alone mistake me for a college football player. I got to go to lunch with them.

Thanks for the stories!
03-18-2020 08:06 AM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards

Well....

Billy's part was pretty cool... While SOMEBODY was body-slamming me, Billy ran into the Tech crowd on the hill, losing his (expensive) sunglasses in the process and paid a fan $50 for the ball to give to me. Probably a violation now looking back on it lol

Don't forget, after tearing down the goalposts to celebrate the TCU win, I was told that students watching the game in Lubbock all filed down to HRS and did it again after Tech. THAT to me was pretty dang cool and part of what I meant by 'knowing' each other.

As a student, loved watching Rice ALMOST take down (H)Akeem and PSJ.... think it was 1982?

While certainly my favorite personal moment was Tech... My favorite as an alum was deciding without a plan to drive to Omaha in 2003 for the finals... no hotel... no work plan... no school plan... just drove. Fortunately because it was Rice v Stanford (and not LSU v UT) there were hotels to be had. Had to buy my son the latest Harry Potter book (which he finished before we arrived) just in time for the first pitch against Stanford. My daughter just sang songs the whole way. The media's fascination with David Aardsma's sister (no IDEA why, lol)... the Dogpile...

The freaking Dogpile!
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2020 09:41 AM by Hambone10.)
03-18-2020 09:40 AM
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-18-2020 09:40 AM)Hambone10 Wrote:  

Well....

Billy's part was pretty cool... While SOMEBODY was body-slamming me, Billy ran into the Tech crowd on the hill, losing his (expensive) sunglasses in the process and paid a fan $50 for the ball to give to me. Probably a violation now looking back on it lol

Don't forget, after tearing down the goalposts to celebrate the TCU win, I was told that students watching the game in Lubbock all filed down to HRS and did it again after Tech. THAT to me was pretty dang cool and part of what I meant by 'knowing' each other.

As a student, loved watching Rice ALMOST take down (H)Akeem and PSJ.... think it was 1982?

While certainly my favorite personal moment was Tech... My favorite as an alum was deciding without a plan to drive to Omaha in 2003 for the finals... no hotel... no work plan... no school plan... just drove. Fortunately because it was Rice v Stanford (and not LSU v UT) there were hotels to be had. Had to buy my son the latest Harry Potter book (which he finished before we arrived) just in time for the game 1 first pitch against Stanford. My daughter just sang songs the whole way. The media's fascination with David Aardsma's sister (no IDEA why, lol)... the Dogpile...

The freaking Dogpile!

My memory of the Dogpile was Wayne trying decide how close to get. You know he wanted to be in there, but knew better.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2020 11:17 AM by Hambone10.)
03-18-2020 11:14 AM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(03-18-2020 11:14 AM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  
(03-18-2020 09:40 AM)Hambone10 Wrote:  
(03-17-2020 02:31 PM)ruowls Wrote:  Just a few more comments....

Well....

While certainly my favorite personal moment was Tech... My favorite as an alum was deciding without a plan to drive to Omaha in 2003 for the finals... no hotel... no work plan... no school plan... just drove. Fortunately because it was Rice v Stanford (and not LSU v UT) there were hotels to be had. Had to buy my son the latest Harry Potter book (which he finished before we arrived) just in time for the game 1 first pitch against Stanford. My daughter just sang songs the whole way. The media's fascination with David Aardsma's sister (no IDEA why, lol)... the Dogpile...

The freaking Dogpile!

My memory of the Dogpile was Wayne trying decide how close to get. You know he wanted to be in there, but knew better.

If I recall, he ran up to it and sort of leaned in; perfectly captured in the painting.
03-18-2020 01:04 PM
texowl2 Offline
All American

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
(03-18-2020 07:22 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(03-17-2020 11:21 PM)texowl2 Wrote:  I thought j fred started the cruuuuuzzz when he was the dome announcer. And milo didn't show up until after McMullen tragically fired the outstanding Gene Elston after the 86 season....

J Fred was indeed the originator of the "Jose Cruuuuuuuuz" intro, which he also used at Reckling for "Enrique Cruuuuuuuuz" (can't remember if he was the PA announcer when Jose, Jr., was an Owl, but I'm sure Fred used it if he was). Milo never was the stadium announcer, nor was Gene. J Fred was until about the time the Astros moved to Enron/Minute Maid.

Milo's first year with the Astros was 1986. He replaced Bob Prince, who according to Gene's son (who was in a Navy Reserve unit with me and recently passed away) was hitting the sauce too hard in his later years. For 1986 Gene was the primary announcer and Milo did the middle innings. I think Milo pulled some back room tricks to get Gene out. Milo was always nice to me, but I was really never a fan of his on-the-air style, going back to his White Sox and Braves days. Milo was always kind of over-the-top dramatic, whereas Gene was much more "just the facts." I like Gene's style far more.

I remember listening to the first game of the 1986 playoffs with the Mets. Milo did the pregame and introduced Gene for the play-by-play by saying, "And now, here is the only announcer the Houston Astros have ever had, Gene Elston." For some reason, his tone struck me and I thought, "Hmm, Milo is getting ready to change that."

does anybody remember what exactly J Fred would say during the intro part of the football games at HRS re "OUTSIDE FOOTBALL"??
03-18-2020 03:35 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(03-18-2020 03:35 PM)texowl2 Wrote:  
does anybody remember what exactly J Fred would say during the intro part of the football games at HRS re "OUTSIDE FOOTBALL"??

It's a beautiful day for outdoor football.
03-18-2020 03:37 PM
bobreinhold1 Offline
1st String

Let me use my Way Back Machine for memorable football games.
1949--My dad took me to Baton Rouge on the train to see our only loss of the year, 14-7 to LSU. Then I saw the last game in Old Rice Stadium, a 21-7 win over Baylor to clinch the SWC Championship.
1950-The first game in the new stadium, a 27-7 win over Santa Clara.
1951--Bill Howton's 3 TD game against SMU in Dallas.
1953--Had moved to Denver by now but saw 2 games in '53, 47-0 over Arkansas and 41-19 over Baylor to win SWC.
1954--Dicky Maegle's Cotton Bowl game. (on TV)
1954--13-7 win over UT.
1957--27-21 win over SMU in Dallas and King Hill's 92 yd. TD run in 20-0 victory over TCU to win SWC.
1958-34-7 romp over (#3 UT) before 72,000.
1958--tough stretch. Going for winning field goal against #2 Army, had it blocked and then Heisman winner Pete Dawkins caught a long TD pass in 14-7 loss. Then upset by A&M 28-21. Then leading TCU 7-0 and driving lost a mid-air fumble for Frog TD. Cost us the SWC,
03-18-2020 03:44 PM
Jonathan Sadow Offline
1st String

I Root For: Strigids
New Orleans Bowl
(03-18-2020 09:40 AM)Hambone10 Wrote:  Don't forget, after tearing down the goalposts to celebrate the TCU win, I was told that students watching the game in Lubbock all filed down to HRS and did it again after Tech. THAT to me was pretty dang cool and part of what I meant by 'knowing' each other.

That would've been a pretty long walk for those students watching the game in Lubbock to go all the way to Rice Stadium to tear down the goal posts... but I think we all know what you meant. For those still puzzled, that game was Raycom's "SWC Game of the Week" and was televised all around the state.

Quote:As a student, loved watching Rice ALMOST take down (H)Akeem and PSJ.... think it was 1982?

That was 1984, in the SWC tournament semifinals, when the Owls nearly erased a 15-point second-half deficit to fall to the Cougars 53-50. For Houston, which wound up as NCAA tournament final runners-up, it was its lowest point output in a game all season.
03-18-2020 04:11 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(03-18-2020 04:11 PM)Jonathan Sadow Wrote:  
(03-18-2020 09:40 AM)Hambone10 Wrote:  As a student, loved watching Rice ALMOST take down (H)Akeem and PSJ.... think it was 1982?
That was 1984, in the SWC tournament semifinals, when the Owls nearly erased a 15-point second-half deficit to fall to the Cougars 53-50. For Houston, which wound up as NCAA tournament final runners-up, it was its lowest point output in a game all season.

I was on the SWC stat crew for that game with a group that was mostly from UH. When we got behind, they kept asking, "Why doesn't Rice speed things up to try to catch up?" Instead, Rice slowed it down more. They forced a tempo that UH just wasn't very good at playing, and slowly worked their way back into the game. The UH crew members were just astounded, and were wanting Guy V to start pressing and speed it up, but they did just enough to hang on.
03-18-2020 04:24 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards

J. Fred was never the official announcer of any Rice baseball games during that time period, but he was definitely a guest announcer for a few games and introduced Chieto that way. That was still the era of Cameron Field and it was still a pretty low-key operation.

BTW my favorite moments would be (in no particular order) the football win over Texas, the men's basketball win over Texas, the 1995 baseball regional and being at some of the track and field meets where we won individual national titles. I'm just including the era when I worked at Rice (1988-1996).
03-18-2020 06:00 PM
grOWLer Offline
2nd String

As the old guy here, I have to put the the Rice - Aggie game of 1957 at the top of my list. The Bear Bryant-coached Aggies were ranked #1 and featured the Heisman winning John David Crow at running back. They put bleachers on the end zone concourse to boost the seating capacity to 72,000 and I do not remember seeing an empty seat. The final score was 7-6, with King Hill scoring the points and making an ankle tackle on John David to prevent a touchdown. The campus rocked the week of the game with impromptu pep rallies every night. It was the best athletic event I have ever attended.
03-18-2020 07:29 PM
Ricefootballnet Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Institute

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(03-18-2020 07:29 PM)grOWLer Wrote:  As the old guy here, I have to put the the Rice - Aggie game of 1957 at the top of my list. The Bear Bryant-coached Aggies were ranked #1 and featured the Heisman winning John David Crow at running back. They put bleachers on the end zone concourse to boost the seating capacity to 72,000 and I do not remember seeing an empty seat. The final score was 7-6, with King Hill scoring the points and making an ankle tackle on John David to prevent a touchdown. The campus rocked the week of the game with impromptu pep rallies every night. It was the best athletic event I have ever attended.

I was seven years old and wanted to go to that game so badly, but my dad opined that the tickets were just too valuable to allocate one to a mere seven-year-old.

So disappointed at missing it, I wheedled my dad into taking me to the Rice-Aggie game the next year, and from 1958 through 1967 (all the Rice-Aggie games were held at Rice Stadium in those days, as you may recall) I never missed another, and only one or two after that.
03-18-2020 10:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
75src Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice
I was at all the Rice A&M games from around 1960 to 1967. The 1968 and 1970 games were at Kyle Field. I went to all the Rice A&M games from 1971 to the end of the SWC in 1994.

(03-18-2020 10:49 PM)Ricefootballnet Wrote:  
(03-18-2020 07:29 PM)grOWLer Wrote:  As the old guy here, I have to put the the Rice - Aggie game of 1957 at the top of my list. The Bear Bryant-coached Aggies were ranked #1 and featured the Heisman winning John David Crow at running back. They put bleachers on the end zone concourse to boost the seating capacity to 72,000 and I do not remember seeing an empty seat. The final score was 7-6, with King Hill scoring the points and making an ankle tackle on John David to prevent a touchdown. The campus rocked the week of the game with impromptu pep rallies every night. It was the best athletic event I have ever attended.

I was seven years old and wanted to go to that game so badly, but my dad opined that the tickets were just too valuable to allocate one to a mere seven-year-old.

So disappointed at missing it, I wheedled my dad into taking me to the Rice-Aggie game the next year, and from 1958 through 1967 (all the Rice-Aggie games were held at Rice Stadium in those days, as you may recall) I never missed another, and only one or two after that.
03-19-2020 01:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.