Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Looking backward - Clemente
Bookmark and Share
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
Looking backward - Clemente
Since we can't see any present, and don't know when we will be able to look forward, we shall have to spend out time looking backward, I suppose.

Here is a comment I found about Roberto Clemente, whom they picked as the greatest right defensive right fielder of all time:

"His 254 assists are the most by an outfielder in the live ball era, which is nutso when you consider that, once word got around, a runner would almost rather have a lobotomy than risk embarrassment by his legendary arm."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UUy65ZpSP0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WnfqgOsR6A
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2020 05:27 PM by MICHAELSPAPPY.)
03-13-2020 05:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
RE: Looking backward - Clemente
As a kid, I sent a letter to Roberto requesting his autograph. I had been told he was really responsive to autograph requests from kids. What was really freaky was that I received a picture, personally autographed to me, after he was killed in the plane crash. I subsequently learned that many players had "phantom" signers or machines that signed their photos. Apparently the machines often left a "dot" where the pen struck the page. I guess if a phantom signer was used, and he was good at his "craft", it would be harder to determine if the autograph was legit. I had an "expert" who dealt in Clemente paraphernalia look at my autographed photo and he simply wasn't sure if it was actually signed by Roberto or not. Anyway, I did have it framed and it still is hanging in my office at home. I'll just assume it is "real" since even an "expert" couldn't rule that out.
03-13-2020 06:23 PM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
RE: Looking backward - Clemente
I would assume it is real. And in any case, just the fact that you received it after he was killed makes it special.
03-13-2020 07:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.