So what happens to the Olympics?
Looks pretty bleak these days.
03-12-2020 11:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
RE: So what happens to the Olympics?
My guess is that the Olympics will be postponed but not canceled. They will try to reschedule for October or November.
03-12-2020 12:41 PM
EPJr2 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: A-10 VCU
smart folks won't go
03-13-2020 05:33 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
I wonder if they'll cancel some events and allow others to proceed? Some events won't really demand large numbers of tickets or get ratings. Others will although there's a disparity in that from country to country.

At some point, they have to make money and the Olympics are a quadrennial event. They can't simply pick back up in a few months and make up whatever they lost in the margins.

Their window is limited. So I wonder if they hold the event, but try to streamline it for efficiency's sake?
03-13-2020 10:00 PM
Advertisement

chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
The best thing going for the Olympics is that they're scheduled for August. If the world isn't over this by May or June, we'll have bigger problems than sports.

Also, don't forget about the Paralympics. Not as many spectators, but still an operation involving a similar number of participants. It's possible the Paralympics keep their original dates (August 25-September 6) and the Olympics run afterwards.

If you're the NBA, you want the Olympics to be later. MLB will want the Olympics to keep their original dates. MLS and USL are going to have issues either way, but at least the Olympics are a U-23 tournament.
03-14-2020 08:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Erictelevision Offline
All American

I Root For: Uconn hoops
Any chance they're postponed until 2021? I know the contracts say 'no", but these are extraordinary circumstances. If they ARE pushed to 2021, will that permanently alter the schedule?
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2020 05:32 PM by Erictelevision.)
03-19-2020 03:28 PM
Wedge Offline

At this point, it might be prudent to push the Olympics to the fall, though NBC would whine and howl about their expensive TV program having to compete with the NFL and college football.
03-19-2020 07:48 PM
Advertisement

Wedge Offline

The IOC says it will decide within the next four weeks what to do with the 2020 Olympics. Presumably the decision is between rescheduling for fall 2020 or summer 2021.

Update: Canada is trying to force the IOC to postpone until next year by announcing that Canada won't send a team to Tokyo in 2020. Other countries will likely do the same.
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2020 08:47 PM by Wedge.)
03-22-2020 08:24 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
I will be shocked if the Olympics are not pushed back to 2021. My gut tells me more nations will demand this so it may be moot for this year anyway. Plus, cities bid on the Olympics mainly for the economic impact and visibility it brings to their region. I don't see a positive economic ROI to Tokyo if they have this event in just 5 more months. Does anyone really believe that many people will travel to Japan and spend money when there is so much financial turmoil going on? Also, there's still too many unknowns with COVID-19. We still don't know when the world's infections rate curve will reach its peak and trend down. I heard on the radio this morning that health/disease experts are still trying to determine if there can be a second [lesser] wave of infections or if folks can be reinfected prior to a vaccine becoming available. 2021 is a safer bet.
03-23-2020 10:30 AM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
Add Australia to the soon-to-be-growing list...

Quote:Canada and Australia will not be sending athletes to the Tokyo Olympics in the summer of 2020. The Canadian Olympic Committee and Canadian Paralympic Committee announced Sunday night that they will refuse to send athletes if the Games are not postponed, becoming the first country to officially announce their intentions to withdraw from the games barring a postponement. Australia followed with a similar announcement a day later.

The decisions come as a result of the health risks posed by the COVID-19 outbreak. The coronavirus pandemic has forced the postponement and cancellation of numerous sporting events all over the world and is threatening the status of the 2020 Games in Tokyo, which are slated to begin in late July.
In a press release published Sunday, the COC and CPC urged the IOC to delay the Olympics by one full year.

"While we recognize the inherent complexities around a postponement, nothing is more important than the health and safety of our athletes and the world community," read the statement.

"This is not solely about athlete health – it is about public health. With COVID-19 and the associated risks, it is not safe for our athletes, and the health and safety of their families and the broader Canadian community for athletes to continue training towards these Games. In fact, it runs counter to the public health advice which we urge all Canadians to follow."

The Australian Olympic Committee's executive board held a meeting via teleconference on Monday and unanimously agreed that the country's Olympic team shouldn't participate due to the circumstances surrounding the coronavirus.

The AOC added that "our athletes now need to prioritize their own health and of those around them, and to be able to return to the families." In addition, the AOC wants their athletes to prepare for the Tokyo Olympics in 2021.

CBS Sports Article
03-23-2020 10:48 AM
Advertisement

AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

03-23-2020 01:43 PM
Wedge Offline

Looks inevitable that they will postpone for one year plus or minus a few days.
03-23-2020 06:39 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(03-23-2020 06:39 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Looks inevitable that they will postpone for one year plus or minus a few days.

This is wholly irrelevant to the significance of events, but I wonder if they change the logo and everything? Technically, it won't take place in 2020.
03-23-2020 11:07 PM
Advertisement

BobcatEngineer Offline
All American

I Root For: OHIO
(03-23-2020 11:07 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  
(03-23-2020 06:39 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Looks inevitable that they will postpone for one year plus or minus a few days.

This is wholly irrelevant to the significance of events, but I wonder if they change the logo and everything? Technically, it won't take place in 2020.

I say they just keep all the logos and everything 2020.
03-24-2020 08:57 AM
Renandpat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Central State
(03-23-2020 11:07 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  

Mari Saito is a Tokyo-based writer for Reuters
https://twitter.com/saitomri/status/1242427872557404162

https://twitter.com/saitomri/status/1242429122267119622

Yuriko Koike whom she writes about is the Governor of Tokyo
03-24-2020 10:09 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.