Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Staples: Now’s the time, Big 12, to go after the Pac-12’s biggest and best
bill dazzle Online
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
RE: Staples: Now’s the time, Big 12, to go after the Pac-12’s biggest and best
Just my opinion but ...

The Big East at its most powerful point of evolution (after Louisville, Cincy and Marquette arrived to bolster what was an already impressive collection of programs) was the most impressive college hoops league ever assembled.

The current ACC is not on that level but is extremely strong. You could argue the league has seven of the top 25-ish programs of all time (listed in NPO): Duke, UNC, Cuse, Louisville, N.C. State, Notre Dame and Virginia
04-04-2020 09:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
(04-04-2020 07:27 AM)esayem Wrote:  
(04-03-2020 07:21 AM)10thMountain Wrote:  
(04-03-2020 04:45 AM)XLance Wrote:  I just love a good hate.

When that series resumes it going to kick off a great weekend of football.
Texas v. A&M
Florida State v. Florida
Georgia Tech v. Georgia
Clemson v. South Carolina
Louisville v. Kentucky

1) It’s not going to resume for at least another decade (as a regularly scheduled game (Post season match up may happen sooner)

2) when and if it does resume it’s not going to be on rivalry weekend. It’ll be a start of the season game like Iowa vs Iowa State

Just like the Louisville-Kentucky game.....oh wait.

Iowa/Iowa State do it like this every year since they already have conference games contracted for Rivalry Week.

Would be the same to accommodate A&M/LSU and UT vs whoever
04-04-2020 09:41 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(04-03-2020 11:33 AM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  
(04-02-2020 08:31 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(04-02-2020 07:23 PM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  As for your implication that Big 12 football is better than Pac-12 football, there is no real prove of that. I do know that the Pac-12 consistently puts more talent in the NFL and more talent in the NBA. As for baseball, the Pac-12 has won more championships than any other conference, the last one in 2018 by Oregon State. For all three sports, both conferences produce good teams in all three sports. So I am not saying that the Pac-12 is better in these three sports, they just don't take a back seat to the Big 12 in any of them.

There's lots of proof for football, out of conference records, poll rankings, computer rankings.
Now you can argue there's not much of a difference or argue with other criteria, but to say there is no real "proof" is simply not true.

As for basketball, the Big 12 has been FAR superior since the last realignment. To argue otherwise just indicates you haven't followed college basketball very well. There's a good argument the Big 12 has been the absolute best conference since the realignment.

When I look at the talent from the Big 12 to the NBA and NFL, it is clear that the Pac-12 has better talent. Oklahoma has been great in football, with five consecutive conference championships. In the past five seasons, the Pac-12 has had four different schools win a Pac-12 football championship: Stanford, USC, Oregon and Washington (twice). There is no dominate school in football at this time, which has not helped in the playoffs. Kansas has won 15 of the last 16 regular season titles in the Big 12. They have dominated the Big 12, although Texas Tech had a great season in 2019 and Baylor was having a great season in 2020 until the last few games. Kansas State wins the regular season title in 2019, then falls to UC Irvine in the NCAA Tournament.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men...ay-rosters
CONFERENCE
ACC- 82
Pac-12 - 69
SEC - 63
Big 12 - 41
Big Ten - 39

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/artic...fl-rosters
CONFERENCE
SEC - 339
Big Ten - 253
ACC - 215
Pac-12 - 189
Big 12 - 131

The opening day rosters for 2019 NFL and NBA teams illustrates the difference in talent from the Pac-12 and Big 12. The talent in football is coming from primarily Oklahoma and the basketball talent is primarily coming from Kansas, although UT has produced some good basketball talent. It is more balanced in the Pac-12. That is why the last place team in the Pac-12 basketball standings (UW) could beat Baylor this season.

I'm not a big fan of using number of NBA players as a measure of a conference's strength compared to other conferences. From the numbers above one would conclude that the PAC, with 5.8 NBA players per team, is the strongest conference in the NCAA. How many people do you think believe that to be true? And UCLA with 17 has the most NBA players of any school in the PAC (behind only Kentucky (30) and Duke (25) in the NCAA). But they haven't exactly dominated their league, much less the nation.
04-04-2020 11:45 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(04-04-2020 09:38 AM)bill dazzle Wrote:  Just my opinion but ...

The Big East at its most powerful point of evolution (after Louisville, Cincy and Marquette arrived to bolster what was an already impressive collection of programs) was the most impressive college hoops league ever assembled.

The current ACC is not on that level but is extremely strong. You could argue the league has seven of the top 25-ish programs of all time (listed in NPO): Duke, UNC, Cuse, Louisville, N.C. State, Notre Dame and Virginia

While I agree with that, the ACC has not had all those programs on a roll since they expanded.
04-04-2020 01:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.