Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Chicago State not playing any more regular season basketball games due to coronavirus
Bookmark and Share
Lopes87 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GCU
RE: Chicago State not playing any more regular season basketball games due to coronavirus
(03-06-2020 08:44 PM)NeptunianEmp Wrote:  
(03-06-2020 06:37 PM)RoosHouse Wrote:  University of Washington is cancelling classes. I think UMKC made right decision. It is an important game and I guess we just take the loss (Why not a coin flip), but health and happiness always more important than wins and loses

I wonder how this will impact all universities in Washington and the NCAA tournament. Spokane is one of the host cities for the first round.

Being that Spokane is 6 hours away and no confirmed cases to this point I think NCAA 1st round will be fine. Also to RoosHouse if you refuse to show up for a game it's a forfeit.
03-06-2020 09:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RoosHouse Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UMKC
RE: Chicago State not playing any more regular season basketball games due to coronavirus
Considering 2 out of the 8 teams won't go to Seattle. I am not sure the other 6 would either.
03-07-2020 12:06 PM
Lopes87 Offline
1st String

(03-07-2020 12:06 PM)RoosHouse Wrote:  Considering 2 out of the 8 teams won't go to Seattle. I am not sure the other 6 would either.

Being that local health professionals in Seattle feel that this virus has been in the Seattle area for 5-6 weeks those WAC schools that have shown up have been fine. But what do I know, I'm just living in Seattle.
03-07-2020 08:02 PM
RoosHouse Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UMKC
(03-06-2020 09:06 PM)Lopes87 Wrote:  
(03-06-2020 06:37 PM)RoosHouse Wrote:  University of Washington is cancelling classes. I think UMKC made right decision. It is an important game and I guess we just take the loss (Why not a coin flip), but health and happiness always more important than wins and loses

I wonder how this will impact all universities in Washington and the NCAA tournament. Spokane is one of the host cities for the first round.

Being that Spokane is 6 hours away and no confirmed cases to this point I think NCAA 1st round will be fine. Also to RoosHouse if you refuse to show up for a game it's a forfeit.

The game is officially a no contest not a forfeit. If you look at WAC standings it has us at 8-7 record and in 4th place. WAC just used that for seeding purpose, but the NCAA has said there was no game.
03-08-2020 02:24 PM
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

I Root For: NMSU
(03-08-2020 02:24 PM)RoosHouse Wrote:  
(03-06-2020 09:06 PM)Lopes87 Wrote:  

The game is officially a no contest not a forfeit. If you look at WAC standings it has us at 8-7 record and in 4th place. WAC just used that for seeding purpose, but the NCAA has said there was no game.

With regard to UMKC's overall record it is a "no contest". But with regards to the WAC standings, it is viewed as a forfeit loss to Seattle U. At 8-7, UMKC is the 5th seed is seated behind GCU at 8-8, who is the 4th seed.
03-08-2020 02:59 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State

03-08-2020 05:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
joshadam84 Offline

I Root For: Chicago State
Hadn’t seen that, CP. Thanks for sharing. Definitely a different take on the issue.
03-08-2020 07:47 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

Quote:CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (AP) — The Ivy League on Tuesday canceled its men’s and women’s basketball tournaments because of concerns about the spread of coronavirus.

The four-team tournaments were scheduled to be played Friday through Sunday at Lavietes Pavilion in Cambridge. The Ivy League instead will award its automatic NCAA Tournament bids to the regular-season champions, the Princeton women and Yale men.

The tournaments are the first at the Division I basketball level to be canceled due to the coronavirus outbreak.

Conference tournaments have been going on all over the country since last week at venues big and small. Most of the biggest conferences such as the Big Ten and Southeastern Conference begin their men’s tournaments this week at large arenas in major cities.

The NCAA men’s and women’s Division I tournaments begin next week. The NCAA has said it plans to play its games at the planned sites as scheduled with no adjustments to fan access but is monitoring the situation.

“NCAA member schools and conferences make their own decisions regarding regular season and conference tournament play,” NCAA president Mark Emmert said Tuesday in a statement. “As we have stated, we will make decisions on our events based on the best, most current public health guidance available.”

The Ivy League also announced Tuesday it will limit spectators at all other sporting events for the rest of the spring season.

Link
03-10-2020 03:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

(03-10-2020 03:57 PM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  
Quote:CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (AP) — The Ivy League on Tuesday canceled its men’s and women’s basketball tournaments because of concerns about the spread of coronavirus.

The four-team tournaments were scheduled to be played Friday through Sunday at Lavietes Pavilion in Cambridge. The Ivy League instead will award its automatic NCAA Tournament bids to the regular-season champions, the Princeton women and Yale men.

The tournaments are the first at the Division I basketball level to be canceled due to the coronavirus outbreak.

Conference tournaments have been going on all over the country since last week at venues big and small. Most of the biggest conferences such as the Big Ten and Southeastern Conference begin their men’s tournaments this week at large arenas in major cities.

The NCAA men’s and women’s Division I tournaments begin next week. The NCAA has said it plans to play its games at the planned sites as scheduled with no adjustments to fan access but is monitoring the situation.

“NCAA member schools and conferences make their own decisions regarding regular season and conference tournament play,” NCAA president Mark Emmert said Tuesday in a statement. “As we have stated, we will make decisions on our events based on the best, most current public health guidance available.”

The Ivy League also announced Tuesday it will limit spectators at all other sporting events for the rest of the spring season.

Link

The Ivy league is more about academics than athletics. So, I can see how this can be agreed upon. I'm not sure the rest of the WAC schools are willing give NMSU the NCAA bid without being given a chance on the court. And, the Orleans Arena would not be happy if the tournament was cancelled.
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2020 04:13 PM by NMSUPistolPete.)
03-10-2020 04:12 PM
NeptunianEmp Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NM State Aggies!
(03-10-2020 04:12 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  

Link

The Ivy league is more about academics than athletics. So, I can see how this can be agreed upon. I'm not sure the rest of the WAC schools are willing give NMSU the NCAA bid without being given a chance on the court. And, the Orleans Arena would not be happy if the tournament was cancelled.

I think at least 3 of the Ivy League schools have cancelled classes and have moved to online classes instead. There are concerns about fans attending the remaining conference games. Supposedly there was a fan last night who had the Corona Virus who attended the BYU Saint Mary's game last night.
03-10-2020 04:39 PM
gleadley Offline
1st String

(03-10-2020 04:39 PM)NeptunianEmp Wrote:  

Link

I think at least 3 of the Ivy League schools have cancelled classes and have moved to online classes instead. There are concerns about fans attending the remaining conference games. Supposedly there was a fan last night who had the Corona Virus who attended the BYU Saint Mary's game last night.

Does his name rhyme with "Park Mope" by chance?
03-10-2020 04:56 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(03-04-2020 10:48 AM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  Chicago canceled a convention at McCormick next week with people from 130 countries and 47,000 hotel rooms booked. Chicago State made this decision as Division 1 trailblazers for player health.

And when the movie is made/textbooks written, Chicago St will now have its place in history as pioneers.
03-10-2020 06:16 PM
NeptunianEmp Offline
Special Teams

The Men's and Women's team of the Ivy League have started a petition to get the tournament reinstated. The MAC is having a closed conference with limited people allowed in.
03-10-2020 06:21 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

(03-10-2020 04:39 PM)NeptunianEmp Wrote:  

Link

He wasn't at last nights game, but at the game in Provo between the two schools.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2880...oronavirus
03-10-2020 06:32 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

03-10-2020 06:45 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

03-10-2020 07:00 PM
NeptunianEmp Offline
Special Teams

(03-10-2020 07:00 PM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  

They will not cancel the tournament. Too much money is at stake.
03-10-2020 07:36 PM
PojoaquePosse Offline
Blowhard

Why did the Ivy League cancel their tourney but are allowing other Ivy League sports to continue to be played? Seems inconsistent, no?
03-11-2020 08:26 AM
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I Root For: Seattle U
(03-10-2020 07:36 PM)NeptunianEmp Wrote:  
(03-10-2020 07:00 PM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  

They will not cancel the tournament. Too much money is at stake.

Correct. Maybe they play in empty arenas, but with more people “stuck” at home, ratings will be sky high.
03-11-2020 09:43 AM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

(03-11-2020 08:26 AM)PojoaquePosse Wrote:  Why did the Ivy League cancel their tourney but are allowing other Ivy League sports to continue to be played? Seems inconsistent, no?

No idea.

Their tournament is a semi-final and final format. Top 4 teams from MBB and WBB go.

The players want the tournament back on.
03-11-2020 11:03 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.